PDA

View Full Version : 110 reasons in 110 minutes why Yawn04 blows (for the Dawn04 haters)...

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2008, 11:45 AM
DISCLAIMER: I do NOT want this turning into a Land VS Dawn04 thread.

Well, it was requested, so here it be.

Truthfully, I didn't expect to get over 100, so even I'm a little surprised...but only by a bit.

Decided to post them on my blog, rather than, just so I don't have to censor the voluminous amount of swearing. :p

Consider this my definitive list of reasons why I hate Yawn04 ... well, kinda ... at least in terms of what's on screen. The other main reason was the script, which I thought was atrocious, and that's kinda reflected in this list. :)

Also consider it a bit of fun in itself. And again, I don't want this to turn into yet another Land VS Dawn04 thread, cheers. :)

PART ONE:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/03/110-reason-in-110-minutes-why-yawn04-is.html

PART TWO:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/03/110-reasons-in-110-minutes-why-yawn04.html

Enjoy.

capncnut
08-Mar-2008, 03:43 PM
But you know it's gonna!!!

Why on earth is there a head in a cool box?
Of all the reasons you listed, that one tickled me the most. I thought the exact same thing, "wtf?" :D

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2008, 04:53 PM
Well it's not, because it's aimed at the Dawn04 haters.

Any rantings to make this a Land VS Dawn04 thread will be deleted. It's a fair ask from me, the thread originator. Same as with all other threads and members. If a request is made, we respect it, goes for any situation where it might come up, no matter who the member is.

The head in a box just smacks of movie making rather than trying to film their own reality. That, along with Luda and other characters or elements, are purely there to provide an excuse for a scene to waggle in front of the audience.

It's a fine line, but if you understand where I'm coming from on that aspect, you'll get what I'm on about.

Doc
08-Mar-2008, 05:18 PM
I mean why can zombies not run because of brain and muscle and ligament damage, but they can exibit strength enough to tear a person apart, and develop enough intellect to do the various things Bub and the Land zombies did, and enough intellect to use a rock as a weapon in the original.:rockbrow:

Oh well majority of the list is true, except I disagree with the zombies shouldn't run and another one. I'll find it again later......

DubiousComforts
08-Mar-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh well majority of the list is true, except I disagree with the zombies shouldn't run and another one. I'll find it again later......
I don't see any reason why you can't have living dead that run. It simply wasn't handled well in DAWN '04. When you throw out the original film's subtext for the dead being incredibly slow-moving and weak, you're left with fast zombies for lack of any other means to scare the audience.

Btw, even slower than Romero's living dead are Fulci's zombies and they are scary as hell in both Zombie and The Beyond--probably the best part of either film.

Doc
08-Mar-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't see any reason why you can't have living dead that run. OOPS! I guess I didn't word that right. I meant I disagree with Minion about the undead shouldn't run. I agree that I see no problem with them running. I personally think Yawn '04 was one of the good remakes of this decade. Of course I still prefer the original.

DubiousComforts
08-Mar-2008, 08:14 PM
OOPS! I guess I didn't word that right. I meant I disagree with Minion about the undead shouldn't run.
I understood and agree with your point: there's no reason why there can't be running dead. I simply disagree with how it was handled in DAWN '04--it was utilized as a crutch. The filmmakers just couldn't figure out how to make a viable threat out of slow-moving zombies.

Doc
08-Mar-2008, 10:05 PM
I understood and agree with your point: there's no reason why there can't be running dead. I simply disagree with how it was handled in DAWN '04--it was utilized as a crutch. The filmmakers just couldn't figure out how to make a viable threat out of slow-moving zombies. AHA! Got you!;)

Hey I have question.......Well even though they are not really zombies......Does anybody still put 28 days and weeks later in the zombie category?

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2008, 01:35 PM
28 Days Later aren't zombies, they living people infected with a virus - it's a plague movie.

If the director and writer repeatedly say it's not a zombie movie, and they're the ones who made the damn thing, then it's not a zombie movie.

Back on topic though please, this being a bit of fun for like-minded Dawn remake haters and all...un-bunch your panties Dawn04 lovers. :)

mista_mo
09-Mar-2008, 01:47 PM
my panties have been unbunched, thanks for the reminder Minion.

I agree with alot of what you said, I still like the film, but turns into a droopey, valium affected prostitute near the middle, and then the vlaium wears off. Groggily, and not of sound mind, the prostitute leaves the relitive safety of her pimps house, and finds herself in a neighbour hood run amok with Orthodox christians. Furious, and at the same time, filled with sorrow, the christians follow her around and attempt to clean her up and take her into Gods grace, but she wants none of that. She runs off into the nearby woods, and eventually into anouther section of the town, where she finds peace- in the hands of a new pimp.

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2008, 03:52 PM
I've no idea what you just said ... but it was funny. :D

mista_mo
09-Mar-2008, 04:04 PM
it's what Dawn (or Yawn if you prefer) seems like to me- a vampant orgy of pure sexual delight at the start, then a valium od'd tuna nash prostitute for the middle and a part of the end.

duh.

Doc
09-Mar-2008, 04:55 PM
Dawn04 lovers. There are lovers!:eek:
I'm only a liker!

DubiousComforts
09-Mar-2008, 05:41 PM
28 Days Later aren't zombies, they living people infected with a virus - it's a plague movie.

If the director and writer repeatedly say it's not a zombie movie, and they're the ones who made the damn thing, then it's not a zombie movie.
Then Night of the Living Dead isn't a "zombie" movie either. The director and writers never intended the living dead to be "zombies." They called them "ghouls," "flesh eaters" and "things."

The fact is nobody should care what the filmmakers have to say about this point. It should be obvious to anyone that 28 Days Later has much more in common with Romero's Dead films than The Crazies or other "plague" films. It's still one of the best takes on the genre in this last 10 years along with SHAUN of the DEAD.

The most influential films in this genre are about IDEAS not "zombies," which is why the original DAWN succeeds while the remake DAWN is mindless junk. It's simply splitting hairs to become so hung up on the categorization that you miss the point.

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2008, 06:05 PM
Appreciate the list people! I spent 110 minutes or more compiling that comedy gold! :rant::D

But in Night - they're dead people walking again. They never used the term, because at that stage the term was usually placed on voodoo guys working in mines etc.

Stay on my f*cking topic you bastards! *stomps around the playground* :D:)

bd2999
11-Mar-2008, 01:18 AM
I thought the movie was good enough, but I agree with the majority of what the list has on it. Some I am not so bitter about but I really hated the character of Anna. Really hated her. I know we are supposed to sympothize with her, but she forgets her bf in a few weeks and is ready to move on (alright fine but you watched him die and come after you, that has to count for something but we are all ready for some love right away), she always wants a plan, but aside from saying that someone else needs to come up with a plan she is useless, she rants at Michael for wanting to kill a bit guy, but then a few minutes later he just gets killed anyway. What was the difference? Michael didn't do it but the guy is no less dead and his daughter is no less fatherless. That seems more like selfish reasons that anything because all that changed is the hand pulling the trigger, yeah for Ms. morality. When all the guys are on the roof killing time by killing zombies I was confused as to why she was so judgemental right away of them. It might have been a joke, but I am not sure what she was getting at. They were picking targets and such but it was no worse than what a group of just random people do when talking at a bar or something. Although you usually don't kill anyone at a bar.

Just hated that character so much, and then there were just to many random and pointless characters whose entire purpose in life was to die or to be annoying. Can't add to much more to what was said in those 110 reasons really. I don't think the movie was bad, not as good as the real thing, but not bad for a modern zombie film. Could have been much better though. To me it almost came off as more of a 28 Days Later knock off than a Dawn of the Dead remake.

Dead Hoosier
12-Mar-2008, 01:06 AM
Sorry, it's still better entertainment than Land.:D

AcesandEights
12-Mar-2008, 01:40 AM

Oh, snnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnap! Dead Hoosier went there :skull:

clanglee
12-Mar-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm waiting for your list on Citizen Kane Minion. :rolleyes:

Not that Dawn'04 is in any way Citizen Kane, it's just that this could be done to anymovie that someone dislikes.

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, but I'm doing it to sh*t dead movies. That's the point. :rolleyes:

I'm probably gonna do one for Craptagium and COTLD.

But Citizen Kane was a superb piece of cinema. :thumbsup:

DjfunkmasterG
12-Mar-2008, 11:39 AM

TOO LATE!

97 reasons in 97 minutes why Land of the Dead Sucks (93 Minutes for you Region 2-er's)

IT JUST SUCKED x 93 or 97(for us URDC owners) :D:lol:

MZ, You cannot make a post like this and expect me to just sit back and not only stick the knife into LAND, but twist it around and move it up and down for good measure.

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2008, 12:19 PM
Well if you want to do that, by all means. Heck, there's been shedloads of Land blasting. This list was done because:

A) I fancied a laugh.
B) It was requested.

If someone wants to do a bitch list for Land, by all means. I won't read it, but each to their own.

I must say I'm disappointed in my fellow Yawn04 haters (for whom this thread was aimed) for not joining in.

Also, if an originator requests something of their own thread, the members should do their utmost to respect the originator's request when one is made. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it does, so it's just a thing out of respect when asked nicely.

Neil
12-Mar-2008, 01:37 PM

Truthfully, I didn't expect to get over 100, so even I'm a little surprised...but only by a bit.

Decided to post them on my blog, rather than, just so I don't have to censor the voluminous amount of swearing. :p

Consider this my definitive list of reasons why I hate Yawn04 ... well, kinda ... at least in terms of what's on screen. The other main reason was the script, which I thought was atrocious, and that's kinda reflected in this list. :)

Also consider it a bit of fun in itself. And again, I don't want this to turn into yet another Land VS Dawn04 thread, cheers. :)

PART ONE:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/03/110-reason-in-110-minutes-why-yawn04-is.html

PART TWO:

Enjoy.

You missed out hubbies eyes going all funny (in just a few mins)! And of course this didn't seem to happen to any other zombies! :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
12-Mar-2008, 02:17 PM
Nah the eye thing didn't bother me a huge amount ... and it did happen to other zombies, like the fat bint in the wheel barrow, or Steve when he finally fulfills the destiny he laid out for himself an hour prior. :lol:

I was more groaning at the animal/dinosaur/cougar-like noises they made. They may be zombies, but they've still got human vocal chords.

bassman
12-Mar-2008, 02:48 PM
Did you honestly expect people NOT to mention Land?:rockbrow: I don't see why they're even still comparing the two, anyway....

Good list, though. A few things I haven't ever picked up on. There's some more that I know I could add but I just can't remember them right now. It's definitely not worth watching all over again.:evil:

Maybe if I see it on TV, I'll watch a few minutes of it and remember them. The Starz Black channel plays it every 10 minutes it seems. Funny that a channel directed towards black people plays it when the two black characters are some of the most generic, cardboard, and cookie cutter characters ever on film. They could've just inserted this guy into the movie twice and it would have the same effect::rant:

DjfunkmasterG
12-Mar-2008, 03:30 PM
You missed out hubbies eyes going all funny (in just a few mins)! And of course this didn't seem to happen to any other zombies! :rolleyes:

The fat lady zombies eyes went funny. So yes it did happen to another zombie.:D

Neil
12-Mar-2008, 04:36 PM
The fat lady zombies eyes went funny. So yes it did happen to another zombie.:D

Really? Oh! That still sucked though (IMHO).

It sort of felt like they were spoon feeding you cos they think the audience is dumb... Look this person is not human anymore, look their eyes have gone all horrible...

DjfunkmasterG
12-Mar-2008, 05:49 PM
Wah Wah Wah :D

You gus are just mad cause the remake is the best zombie film of the last 15 years (Since Night 90) and it kicked Land of the Deads ass. :p j/k

Though it has its problems, Dawn 04 is a great zombie film. It may pale in comparison to the original, but wheter it is a remake, or stand alone film it still kicks ass.

Neil
12-Mar-2008, 06:17 PM

You gus are just mad cause the remake is the best zombie film of the last 15 years (Since Night 90) and it kicked Land of the Deads ass. :p j/k

Though it has its problems, Dawn 04 is a great zombie film. It may pale in comparison to the original, but wheter it is a remake, or stand alone film it still kicks ass.

I agree... It's definately good fun, but the script just has too many low IQ elements to it - Stupid characters doing too many stupid things..

Ummm... You start getting into difficult ground when you start using this as a 'standard'.

For example, I didn't find 'Shindlers List' entertaining, and suspect I could never watch it again, but it is an absolutely astoundingly good film!

Dawn04 could be considered more entertaining than Land, but I find the lack of much else to be too frustrating for me...

MontagMOI
12-Mar-2008, 06:41 PM

You gus are just mad cause the remake is the best zombie film of the last 15 years (Since Night 90).

The Zombie Diaries and Diary Of The Dead are both better zombie films than Dawn 04. And their zombies don't have superpowers. :D

bassman
12-Mar-2008, 08:36 PM
This thread seems to be turning into yet another "My johnson is bigger than yours!!!"....

clanglee
12-Mar-2008, 10:54 PM
Well it is!!!:D

AcesandEights
12-Mar-2008, 11:12 PM
This thread seems to be turning into yet another "My johnson is bigger than yours!!!"....

That's what this thread was always going to turn in to, despite the protest to the contrary. All in all, however, MZ did throw a good few reasons together, though much of it is very subjective opining (which is all well and good).

Dead Hoosier
13-Mar-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't think Snyder thought Dawn04 to be anything more than what it was -- a good horror/action flick (with perhaps the best opening in the genre's history), pretty simple-minded, and a great homage to the original. It's the Romero WORSHIPERS -- the same people that critisized Land haters for having too big of expectations -- that have since knocked it.

Doc
13-Mar-2008, 12:59 AM
Really just because Romero created the genre, does that mean every zombie film that is created has to follow his rules?:rockbrow:

Dead Hoosier
13-Mar-2008, 01:02 AM
It does if you endlessly bob on Romero's knob ... like Minion.

Doc
13-Mar-2008, 01:53 AM
It does if you endlessly bob on Romero's knob ... like Minion.

Uh oh....I don't want to be around here when he comes back....:confused:

I also like to add that Return zombies run, but people have no problem with them.

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2008, 11:25 AM
If a post originator specifically requests their post to stay on topic, it's the duty of the members to be respectful, no matter who it is.

Also, how dare anybody come to a George Romero zombie movie website and actually like or love the guy's movies, I mean ... SHOCKING. :rolleyes:

The intention of this post and this list was to aim it at my fellow Yawn04 haters. As I've said before, if the Land haters wanna do up their own list to make themselves feel better, by all means. I won't read it, because it wouldn't be aimed at folk of my opinion.

That was the purpose of this list, a bit of fun for like-minded thinkers. But you all have to come in and suck the fun out of it...you should all be politicians. :p

Doc
13-Mar-2008, 12:25 PM
The intention of this post and this list was to aim it at my fellow Yawn04 haters. As I've said before, if the Land haters wanna do up their own list to make themselves feel better, by all means. I won't read it, because it wouldn't be aimed at folk of my opinion.

That was the purpose of this list, a bit of fun for like-minded thinkers. But you all have to come in and suck the fun out of it...you should all be politicians. :p

Ok, ok......But I think you got a name of one of the characters in your list wrong.:shifty:

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2008, 12:42 PM
Which name?

Dead Hoosier
13-Mar-2008, 01:16 PM
No offense Minion, it was meant in jest. I doubt any Land list is necessary since we've beaten it to death. With Diary out, you'd think such conversations would be a thing of the past -- at least for a while -- but because SO few people have seen it still, I guess we need something to argue about:elol:

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2008, 06:53 PM
Hence why I requested it not turn into a Land VS Dawn04 thread (along with other, aforementioned, reasons).

It is written in the Rules/FAQ after all. :rockbrow:

Just trying to have a bit of fun with my fellow Yawn04 haters, but all the fun gets sucked out of it...:rolleyes:

Doc
13-Mar-2008, 09:40 PM
*looks around* What other Yawn haters? All I see is you! :|

Neil
13-Mar-2008, 09:45 PM
*looks around* What other Yawn haters? All I see is you! :|

I'm not a Dawn04 hater - But I'm frustrated by how unecessarily 'empty' it is!

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2008, 10:14 PM
*sigh*

A quick jaunt into the myriad of Land vs Dawn04 threads will pluck up such names.

Now quit laming my thread out. Geez, can't have any fun around here! :rant:

Doc
13-Mar-2008, 10:31 PM
Uh......Yawn '04 sucks!........Is that what you want?:confused:

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2008, 11:32 AM
:rolleyes:

God you guys are lame...:p:D

Right, well scene's as all the fun was pissed off this list, I started one for Children of the Living Dead last night - a sh*t-fest that is universally hated. Started off slow, but then there was a five minute period where the bitchings caught up and once again I'm currently at 33 bitches in 33 minutes...57 left...ugh...:D

bassman
14-Mar-2008, 11:57 AM
You may have inspired me to make a list for ROTLD. That would get some blood boiling around here. :elol:

Doc
14-Mar-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow...Where the other Yawn '04 haters? I would expected this thread to have 6 pages by now...

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2008, 12:04 PM
Doc - as previously stated, they didn't join in, no doubt cos all the fun was sucked out of it. Also as previously mentioned, go look at the various Land VS Dawn04 threads to find them. :rolleyes:

Bassman - I'd actually be interested to see that. I liked ROTLD, but I would actually be interested to see your list.

bassman
14-Mar-2008, 02:20 PM
I may have to sit down this weekend and start that list. It should be just as easy for me to make a list for ROTLD as it was for you with Dawn04. The only bad part is I have to sit through it again. :barf::annoyed:

I really don't see how so many people like that piece of garbage....

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2008, 03:53 PM
This just in:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?p=136279#post136279

68 reasons why Children of the Living Dead sucks arse! :p

Let's see if everyone can focus on the comedy of the new list considering this is a film everybody hates...:sneaky:

Bassman - I look forward to seeing yours ... list that is ... keep your wang to yourself. :p

clanglee
14-Mar-2008, 08:33 PM
Now that's a list I can get behind.

Yojimbo
18-Mar-2008, 01:21 AM
Minion, once again you totally rule. G-damned hilarious stuff, much more entertaining than the film itself!

AcesandEights
18-Mar-2008, 01:58 AM
I may have to sit down this weekend and start that list. It should be just as easy for me to make a list for ROTLD as it was for you with Dawn04. The only bad part is I have to sit through it again. :barf::annoyed:

I really don't see how so many people like that piece of garbage....

It's actually a pretty polarizing series and, as I'm sure you've picked up on, there's a ton of people who don't care for the series (I have mixed feelings). I'd like to read a list from you, actually. So do post it if you ever get the stomach to watch any of the series again.

MinionZombie
18-Mar-2008, 11:26 AM
Minion, once again you totally rule. G-damned hilarious stuff, much more entertaining than the film itself!
Why thank you, Sir. :cool::)

Danny
18-Mar-2008, 11:30 AM
i wouldve just pointed out the a-team fixin' up montage myself.

Zombill
18-Mar-2008, 11:33 AM
33 bitches in 33 minutes...57 left...ugh...:Dnow that would be some action:hyper:

Well you said you wanted some fun around here:lol:

mista_mo
18-Mar-2008, 01:03 PM
Minion,

Your a smart guy, but what you have to realize is that sometimes...people like to get offended and "uppidy", if you will excuse the phrase, about their opinions.

What you need to ask youself in this situation, is..well...Not what Jesus would do, But what would Brian Boitano do...

He'd say come over here my honey, and i'm gonna oull off my pants, and i'm gonna make dirty love to you cus thats what Brian Boitano do.

No truer words to live by my friend.

also Penis.

Danny
19-Mar-2008, 12:03 AM
now that would be some action:hyper:

Well you said you wanted some fun around here:lol:

again, just a reminder the safety word is delaware, but next week it will be butternutsquash.

SRP76
29-Mar-2008, 05:19 AM
You should have kept this list to 10. The other 100 were blatant reaches.

MinionZombie
29-Mar-2008, 11:28 AM

In your opinion.

The point in this post is it's my opinion.

mista_mo
29-Mar-2008, 11:41 AM
My opinion is that everyone is taking this wayyyy to seriusly- its a list made to vent his frustration over percieved hatreds of the film; its presented in a humourous and thought out manner.

take it for what it is, a mans avatar of dislike towards a film presented the way he thinks will grant the most views.

MinionZombie
29-Mar-2008, 11:48 AM
My opinion is that everyone is taking this wayyyy to seriusly- its a list made to vent his frustration over percieved hatreds of the film; its presented in a humourous and thought out manner.

take it for what it is, a mans avatar of dislike towards a film presented the way he thinks will grant the most views.
Thank you Mista, you get the purpose of this post.

I've had countless members in various Yawn04 related discussions ask exactly what I don't like about the movie, and while you can still find all the various reasons that exist around (rather than within) the movie by doing a search of the forum using the search function, I decided to do a definitive "in movie" bitch-list to clearly lay it all out - and, as you rightly point out - have a bit of fun in the process.

But for some reason the humour has been ignored and the fun's been sapped out of it. :(

It still makes me chuckle though, and it was specifically aimed at people who either fancied a chuckle or who held a similar view of the film to me.

As I've said before, if someone wants to do a bitch-list for Land, by all means. I most likely won't read it, but I'll respect it as someone's opinion, heck even as humour if I find it funny.

Otherwise, indeed, stop taking this list so seriously. :rolleyes:

Choas
29-Mar-2008, 04:02 PM
You forgot one other reason why Yawn04 blows. It rips off almost ever other zombie movie.

SRP76
29-Mar-2008, 10:24 PM

In your opinion.

The point in this post is it's my opinion.

I didn't know that what I posted was my opinion; I thought I was posting the opinion of the guy up the street.

If you wanted any dissenting opinions silenced, you could have just made a read-only thread.

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2008, 10:53 AM
I didn't know that what I posted was my opinion; I thought I was posting the opinion of the guy up the street.

If you wanted any dissenting opinions silenced, you could have just made a read-only thread.
The point was it was aimed at those with the same view of the movie as I. I requested the thread to be as such, which is in the rules/FAQ, the members should respect the requests of the thread originator.

There's plenty of Yawn hate/love or Yawn/Land threads already. I was asked to do a list for Yawn04, I did one, put it up for like-minded folk, but then people came in, ignored all the humour, and sucked all the fun out of it, completely ignoring my completely fair request to just stick to enjoying the list itself.

Mutineer
30-Mar-2008, 08:10 PM

Agreed.

Minion

I added your blog to my own blog (Links) !

You might inspire me to do an arty on the two films. :)

http://www.cineobscure.com/ (http://www.cineobscure.com/)

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2008, 10:25 AM
Mutineer - added your link to my links. :)

Folks, a request please.

Could we focus simply on the list itself and the humour within it, and not bitching about the fact I don't like Yawn04 - which the thread is obviously about from the start - like I'd say to Christians hanging around the Jerry Springer Opera, if you don't like it, don't see it/read it/watch it/do it.

I'm asking nicely now, and asked before already. Please stick to the fun of the list, rather than complaining that I have an opinion.

Cheers.

mista_mo
31-Mar-2008, 10:57 AM
I am not your bootlick!

dynamitejim
18-Apr-2008, 04:17 AM
Great list Minion. One thing that always bugs me is Ving Rhames' character constantly shouting "I gotta find my brutha!" as to why he needs to get out of there. He nevers gives any insight to the relationship with his brother, nor does he listen to any reasoning as to why he shouldn't run out into a million+ swarm of flesh eating corpses. It's perfectly representative of the shoddy characterization that makes it hard for me to enjoy the movie.

MinionZombie
18-Apr-2008, 10:30 AM
Great list Minion. One thing that always bugs me is Ving Rhames' character constantly shouting "I gotta find my brutha!" as to why he needs to get out of there. He nevers gives any insight to the relationship with his brother, nor does he listen to any reasoning as to why he shouldn't run out into a million+ swarm of flesh eating corpses. It's perfectly representative of the shoddy characterization that makes it hard for me to enjoy the movie.
Glad you enjoyed my list. :)

That whole 'gotta git me bruvnah' schtick wound me up every time. :lol:

Doc
18-Apr-2008, 09:52 PM
Well I agree with you on reason 18......

Redman6565
01-Jun-2008, 03:02 PM

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

Enjoy.

Well I got through your first 9 and concluded youwere nothing more than a fan boy. Period. A fan boy, by the way, that is not very that must have missed some of the original Dawn. I take you to the air port scene in the original. You had the black guy shooting the closet door. Remember that? Then he opened that doorandtwo kids RAN, yes I said RAN, out and attacked him. Which takes me to point #10 on you list about zombies not running. How could you miss this? Better yet why is this a problem for you in the Dawn '04 movie yetit happens in the original. Of course I stopped reading your list at #10 because that made it obvious you were 100% fan boy. In other words your complaints have zero merit to them. :mad: I hope I am not the only one who caught point #10 on your list. I'll go read through this thread and see.

Dawn '04 was a dran good zombie flick. It took the idea of Night & Dwan and rolled them into one movie and did so rather well. Also, it makes setting up a nice neat trilogy. Dawn, Day, and Eve of the Dead. Zack Snyder should direct them as well. He proved he could take the idea of GAR's first two movies put them into one and do it well. What the heck GAR seems to be doing stuff he's happy with so why not. :D

I understood and agree with your point: there's no reason why there can't be running dead. I simply disagree with how it was handled in DAWN '04--it was utilized as a crutch. The filmmakers just couldn't figure out how to make a viable threat out of slow-moving zombies.
I don't buy your argument at all. "The film makers couldn't figure out how",,, please. GAR's zombies are waaaaaay creepy while Snyder's are flat out horrorfying. If you had to be in either world which would you choose, GAR's or Snyder's. Hands down it would be GAR's if you want the best chance to stay alive.

I also like the idea shown in the '04 movie where you only turned if bitten. I love both movies equally. I like how both never let you know what causes the infection. Both films have their faults it's just funny how folks let their inner fan boy take over regarding either version. Sort of like your dad trying to get you to listen to the music he grew up with when you have your own. Both are really great movies in their own right and Romero gets credit for starting it all. :)

The most influential films in this genre are about IDEAS not "zombies," which is why the original DAWN succeeds while the remake DAWN is mindless junk. It's simply splitting hairs to become so hung up on the categorization that you miss the point.

I find the comment that Dawn '04 is "mindless junk" rather mindless. How? Based on what? In the original you have a group of people tring to survive and in '04 you have the same. Both movies dropped the ball as far as the fact that there would be no power at the mall. Both movies had social comments. I find it funny that there are two sides here. I guess if you take the mentality of Dubious and switch to music then every rock & roll song made after Elvis is "mindless junk". Better yet every horror movie made after the first is "mindless junk". I don't buy that at all. These are two fantastic movies in their own right. Both are a blast to watch. Why is it that fans of the original complain about the slow point in '04 yet the same can be said of the original as well. Talk about splitting hairs. Wow.

I really hated the character of Anna. Really hated her. I know we are supposed to sympothize with her, but she forgets her bf in a few weeks and is ready to move on (alright fine but you watched him die and come after you, that has to count for something but we are all ready for some love right away),

This isn't uncommon at all in people. A husband or wife can lose their partner and turn to someone very qucikly. Ever hear the phrase 'rebound'? When people have something very emotional or tragic happen they are qucik for find somethng to cling to. It's normal. You could also see this in the original Dawn as well. When 'flyboy' bought the farm didn't you sense something between his gal and the blackguy? To be honest you could sense it alittle before 'flyboy' died.

[QUOTE=Neil;136024]You missed out hubbies eyes going all funny (in just a few mins)! And of course this didn't seem to happen to any other zombies! :rolleyes:

Again another point made by someone who didn't pay attention to Dawn '04. The eyes changing did happen through out this movie. From the fat lady to the gals dad to the new born baby. What movie were you watching by the way I'm just curious. :lol:

I was more groaning at the animal/dinosaur/cougar-like noises they made. They may be zombies, but they've still got human vocal chords.

First off you are dealing with things that have a very basic mentality. Also, when it comes to their vocal chords how would they sound? I hate to turn this into a science thing but if theie other organs aren't working then would the vocal cords still have moisture and work as they do when you are alive? Sort of like 'cavemen' without the body producing all the moisture that keeps things running well. Just a thought.

Funny that a channel directed towards black people plays it when the two black characters are some of the most generic, cardboard, and cookie cutter characters ever on film. They could've just inserted this guy into the movie twice and it would have the same effect::rant:

That's BS. You have two totally different characters. One being a street thug and the other a well grounded man who's trying to hook up with what he thinks is left of his family, his brother. Simply amazing you think this way. When the street thug sees the world going to hell he is trying to do what he thinks is the right thing for once in his life. He finally gets it that there is something bigger than himself. Yet folks whom claim there is NO social comentary in this movie misses it when Zack Snyder it hits them smack dab in the face with it. If only more people in real life would put the children they bring into this world before them selves the world would be a much better place. That is a HUGE example of social comentary in Dawn '04 and you missed it totally. Heck, that's bigger than any social statement I've heard GAR fans point out in any of his movies. Shame on you. :mad:

Really? Oh! That still sucked though (IMHO).

It sort of felt like they were spoon feeding you cos they think the audience is dumb... Look this person is not human anymore, look their eyes have gone all horrible...

Another example of it's fine if GAR does it and giving other directors heck for doing it. Another fan boy moment. All this dislike of Dawn '04 is really based on nothing at all but pure 100% how dare anyone remake a GAR zombie movie. Childish.

The Zombie Diaries and Diary Of The Dead are both better zombie films than Dawn 04. And their zombies don't have superpowers. :D

I have yet to see TZD (this movie looks very good) but to claim that Diary is better than Dawn '04 is crazy. Diary is GAR's worst to date.

I also am wondering what the claims folks are making that people in Dawn '04 did stupid things. Like what? People were trying to find a safe place. Two groups made it on foot to the mall while another group in a moving truck tried to reach a posted safe spot that had been over run then got to the mall from there. Makes sense to me.

I don't think Snyder thought Dawn04 to be anything more than what it was -- a good horror/action flick (with perhaps the best opening in the genre's history), pretty simple-minded, and a great homage to the original. It's the Romero WORSHIPERS -- the same people that critisized Land haters for having too big of expectations -- that have since knocked it.

You are so dead on right Hoosier. Thank you! :elol:

I'm not a Dawn04 hater - But I'm frustrated by how unecessarily 'empty' it is!

Empty, how? :rockbrow:

hahaha I thought the first 10 were reaches so I didn't bother reading the rest. :lol:

Redman6565
01-Jun-2008, 04:50 PM

He wanted to get to is brother because it's his brother and he's on a military base. Sounds a little safer than a mall to me. As to why he didn't listen as to why he shouldn't run out into a million+ swarm of flesh eating corpses. Last time I watched the movie it hadn't changed, he didn't do that. I liked Ving in this movie his acting was better than the two cops in the first Dawn.

I've had countless members in various Yawn04 related discussions ask exactly what I don't like about the movie, and while you can still find all the various reasons that exist around (rather than within) the movie by doing a search of the forum using the search function, I decided to do a definitive "in movie" bitch-list to clearly lay it all out - and, as you rightly point out - have a bit of fun in the process.

But for some reason the humour has been ignored and the fun's been sapped out of it. :(

It still makes me chuckle though, and it was specifically aimed at people who either fancied a chuckle or who held a similar view of the film to me.

As I've said before, if someone wants to do a bitch-list for Land, by all means. I most likely won't read it, but I'll respect it as someone's opinion, heck even as humour if I find it funny.

I think this was a GREAT thread. Why people can't stay on topic is funny to me. Why compare Dawn '04 with Land? I think both versions of Dawn are great and a lot of the bitching aimed atDawn '04 was pathetic at best. I hope I made my points well enough for people to step back and think about what they were saying. Maybe rethink their complaints a little bit. I find it odd that a zombie fan can't enjoy both these movies. Pretty sad.

I think this was a GREAT thread. Why people can't stay on topic is funny to me. Why compare Dawn '04 with Land? I think both versions of Dawn are great and a lot of the bitching aimed at Dawn '04 was pathetic at best. I hope I made my points well enough for people to step back and think about what they were saying. Maybe rethink their complaints a little bit. I find it odd that a zombie fan can't enjoy both these movies. Pretty sad.

I think this was a GREAT thread. Why people can't stay on topic is funny to me. Why compare Dawn '04 with Land? I think both versions of Dawn are great and a lot of the bitching aimed at Dawn '04 was pathetic at best. I hope I made my points well enough for people to step back and think about what they were saying. Maybe rethink their complaints a little bit. I find it odd that a zombie fan can't enjoy both these movies. Pretty sad. This was fun.

horrormad
27-Jul-2008, 05:32 PM
I am a dawn 2004 hater and that was 110 good reasons.

Neil
27-Jul-2008, 05:43 PM
I am a dawn 2004 hatter and that was 110 good reasons.

You make head wear for Zack Snyder films?

capncnut
27-Jul-2008, 06:01 PM
I am a dawn 2004 hatter and that was 110 good reasons.

You fell right into that one, horrormad.

horrormad
27-Jul-2008, 06:04 PM

No.

but thanks for asking.