PDA

View Full Version : Ok...who saw Silent Hill? (spoilers)

Geophyrd
23-Apr-2006, 05:26 PM
That was the most eff-ed up movie I've seen in YEARS! As a horror movie, it was fascinating and scary and very new-school.

I've been mulling it over and have some theories as to what it was about, but I'd love to hear someone else's theories.

For your replies please address at least some of the following questions:

Who was the giant with the enormous sword...you know the one with the pyramid on his head? Was he the Demon?

Did the little girl (not the Reaver) actually ever exist?

How did the cop happen into the town and is she dead? Was she ever really there?

What in the hell happened at the end of the movie???

Is Rada Mitchell the hottest tomboy beanpole on the planet? (don't suggest Keira Knightly...she's gone beyond human)

Thoughts?

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2006, 05:41 PM
haven't seen it yet, but Adreno started a topic on this.

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1014

Adrenochrome
23-Apr-2006, 06:21 PM
That was the most eff-ed up movie I've seen in YEARS! As a horror movie, it was fascinating and scary and very new-school.

I've been mulling it over and have some theories as to what it was about, but I'd love to hear someone else's theories.

Who was the giant with the enormous sword...you know the one with the pyramid on his head? Was he the Demon?

How did the cop happen into the town and is she dead? Was she ever really there?

Is Rada Mitchell the hottest tomboy beanpole on the planet? (don't suggest Keira Knightly...she's gone beyond human)

Thoughts?

Well, I hate to give out spoilers, but,....

I will say this, You may want to watch it again because all of your questions were answered in the movie.

Spoiler:

One thing I did get from this pathetic attempt at a horror flick; The giant was not the "demon", the child that was burned and eventually gave birth to the adopted daughter was (as was explained).

on this I will have to STRONGLY disagree. I found nothing in this thing that was fascinating or scary at all. I've seen better "shock or fright" gimmicks in old TOOL videos. As far as "New School".....hmmmm yes, 89% of the flick was CGI so, yes, it was "new school".

HLS
23-Apr-2006, 07:35 PM

Thoughts?

That woman also was in Pitch Black as the leader. I will see it Monday and I will let you know what I think.

Rottedfreak
23-Apr-2006, 09:29 PM

Thoughts?

Pyramid head punishes those who have sinned, he's merely a manifestation like the straits and nurses.

The cop, Cybil, is from Brahms the town closest to silent Hill she went there to investigate the sudden communication silence.

Alessa and Sharon are one and the same, a human who will bring Samael, the demon worshipped by the cult, into the world.

Danny
23-Apr-2006, 10:50 PM
hate top quash your theorys but im a long time silent hill fan and if youve read the japanese konami release the book of lost memories it tells you

in the first game harry , played by rose in the movie, is driving to silent hill with his adopted daughter who he found on the side of the road.. or in a field its not sepcific.
they see a police officer on a motorbike ,drive on and see the bike on its side on the curb then a woman appears in the cars path they swerve and crash, harry comes to adn cheryl is gone he heads off into the town there in "silent hill" to find her he discovers the town is infested with monsters and is steeped in a mystical and occult history.

heres the timeline leading to silent hill 1

before 16th c - native americans conduct rituals here. this land is valued as a sacred place in native american religion.

1607 - england began colonising north america

late 1600's - colonists begin to move to silent hill

1692 - salem witch trials in massechuttas

early 1700's - a mysterious plague breaks out and the town is abandoned

1776 - u.s declaration of independance

1789 - george washington elected

around 1810 - the war of 1812 begins
silent hill is resettled as a penal colony. silent hill prison and brookhaven hospital is built

1820 -maine becomes a state
allen smith paints waterfront landscape

1830 - forced removal policy for native americans

1840 - silent hill prison closes

1850 - a coal feild is discovered and wilse coal mine opens. which leads to the activation of the town.

1861 - out break of the civil war
chester and his son both participate in the war

1862 - toluca prison camp is constructed for POW's

1865 - culmination of the civil war

1866 - the prison camp is converted into toluca prison

1890 - end of native americans organsied resistance
people start to dissappear all over town

early 1900's - toluca prison is closed and the town becomes a tourist resort.

1918 - a tours ship called the little baroness goes missing

1939 - strang events at toluca lake

19xx - the town mayor dies suddenyl and key members of the towns development die accidental deaths.

well that the ''known'' timeline, but harry finds out other secret things ,as well as the mosnters.

heres what the book says about the events in the time line that relate to silent hill.

FOLK LORE: 'sacred ground were native americans conducted mysterious rituals' before settlers came from europe, silent hill was a holy place, even then the land seemed to hold a sacred power.

they revered the town as "the place of silent spirits" .however they were driven away by settlers and abandoned the town.

PRISON: after the outbreak of a plague the town is resetlled as a penal colony

many people lost there lives on this abombnable soil. consequently the town was first used as a penal colony. it was at this time it was first given the name silent hill.

after the closing of the prison the historical society was built on its former iste. it conveys the towns sense of history

HELLSINGS NOTE - the executioners at the penal colony wore red triangular hoods, this is a reoccuring theme as im sure you can guess where.

EPIDEMIC: once more the threat of plague steadily wraps the town in darkness.

the town was stricken by an epidemic. it may have been that becuase of the unforseen events the towns population as well of the thoughts and feelings of the origional prisoners, the origional power that the town held was gradually distorted.

the current incarnation of the brookhaven hospital has existed since it became large scale in the late 1800's

THE CIVIL WAR: the town is drawn into the civil war that devided the nation in two.

the civil war occured in 1861. the stone statue in the lake is a memorial to patrick lester who fought in the war at this time.

allthough the conflict was origionally bron from political opposition. it was distorted by future generations. into an issue conerning the birth of the religious cult.

TOLUCA LAKE: after becomeing a sightseeing area, a series of misfortunes befell the town.

with the closeing of wiltse coal mine came the reinvention of the town as a tourist resort. however to to a succetion fo boating accidents the town gained a poor reputation as a site seeing area.

the famous toluca lake is a place of powerful emotions. it is known as an ominous lake that has become completely shrouded in a pervasive mist.

HELLSINGS NOTE - this location is visited in silent hill 2 and 4 ,but not in 1 or 3.

well thats the towns real history, not seen the film yet, going to later today so i dont know how truthful it sticks to this, my next post has massive spoilers so ingnore if you dont wanna now the truth if the film confused you.

ALESSA HISTORY

20 yeas ago - the development group all die mysterious deaths.

the staff of a company that was working for the town as a sightseeing are died mysteriously one after the other.
becuase of the extent of the mysteries surrounding there deahts. it was rumored there was some connection to the towns religion
it was thought that the deaths overlapped with the towns strange past.

14 years ago - alessa is born

in the "nowere" of the first game we get a glimpse of allessas tortured existence.

12 years ago - cluadia is born

two years after allesa was bron. both girls parents were of the same faith and both girls were on extremely good terms during there childhood.

11 years ago - harry (played by rose in the film) wife dies suddenly.

7 years ago - cheryl is born

a fire breaks out that destoroys six buildings in the buisness district. it ws arranged so alesssa's body was found at the gallespie house. which was the origin of the fire. however the cause of this fire was a ritual so dahlia could use her daughter and impregnate her with the cults god.

lisa nursed alessa who brought her back using her powers in conunction with the warped powers of the town.

dr kauffman prbably replaced the body.

DRUG CIRCULATION - after the fire in the buisness district a new drug called "ptv" becomes prevalent in the town.
first a criminal investigator then the mayor of silent hill who was redoubleing efforts to regain control met with mysterious deaths one after the other.

ptv was circulated among tourists and the town corroded.

an unseen alliance exists between the hospital and the religious cult.

HELLSINGS NOTE- it has been thoerized that the ptv or 'white cluadia' either changes or prtoects people from changing into mosnters like the rest of the town supposedl did.

but this is just a thoery.

0 events of silent hill - heather is born

alessa 14 years old at the time, suffered from the burns infliced upon her by the ritual that brought about the decent of the god. in order to escape dahlias control, she calls out to cheryl her 'other half' ,who is 7 years old at the time, to return, due to the power of allessas thoughts the town is trnasformed into the ''otherwolrd'' silent hill.
in the attmept to rescue his daughter harry (rose) becaomes involed in these events.
after the two girls become one a new life is born, who harry names heather.

5 years later - a murder case in portland

after the events of silent hill harry (rose) took heather away with him, and moved to portland however, her wereabouts were discovered by a cult member who was searching for her.

harry killed him to protect the secret of heathers wereabouts from the cult.

? years later - after dahlias death there was a peroid of inactivity in the cult, after ten years had passed however, it became active once more ,the structure of the organisation was adjusted and there numbers rapidly increased, one young preist (vincent) was behind this renovation

HELLSINGS NOTE those events and the character claudia all appear in silent hill 3 were heather is now an adult and is taken bakc to the town.

possible movie sequel?

the follwing events are here in the timeline but silent hill 2 is set in the 80's ,just to put the series timelin into perspective.

materialization of delusions - starting with the first game the power that the town holds has gradually intensified. it has reached the point where those who hold darkness in there hearts are drawn to the town, and each of there subconiousness's are manefested as creatures in the town, case in point the red pyramidhead....

Danny
23-Apr-2006, 11:42 PM
now too describe the red pyramid head ive gotta talk about silent hill 2 ,a game which has nothing to do with any others in the seires, though a small piece of info concerning silent hill 4 is discovered in this game.

what we know :james sunderland recieves a letter from his dead wife mary, telling him to come to silent hill, there old vacation spot, so he does, of course he has to fight tons of monsters as he explores the tonw meeting a few mentally unstable people, a woman who looks just like his dead wife who is repeatedly killed by the creature known only as the red pyramid head.

HELLSINGS NOTE - pay attention to what i right now as it tells you why it was impossible for pyramid head to exist for rose in the film and he was only in there beaucse silent hill 2 is the most popluar of the games.

what actually happned.

james sunderland got sick of careing for his wife mary ,he put a pillow over her face and killed her, then put the body i his trunk and drove to silent hill, this is what konami says about why he goes there.

the letter james recieves from mary is an illusion. to free him from the burden of nursing his poor wife. to release her from the misery of illness he took her life, but blacked it out from his mind. he was unable to withstand the weight of this crime and fell into a world of his own delusions which lead him to silent hill.

THE RED PYRAMID HEAD

a character resembling the red hooded executioners of olden times, has been theorized to be connected to valtiel the gods caretaker from silent hill 3.

wears a red helmet and wields a long knife.

stalks maria and james relentlessley.

metaphor - "pyramid head" takes the image of an executioner from the towns past. but is actually incarnated from part of james' psyche
desined by him and created by the town to punish him for the guilt he feels for killing his wife, in the bad ending however james , wife his wifes body in the boot drives his car into toluca lake and drowns.

how pyramid head can appear to anyone other than james goes against the mythos of the series and has nothing to do with the events of silent hill 1.

i better get some rep for this guys, my fingers hurt!:D

As far as "New School".....hmmmm yes, 89% of the flick was CGI so, yes, it was "new school".

sorry to burst your bubble but the fog and the bug creatures were the only CGI everything else was anamatronics.

and the soundtrack was the soundtrack from the game not cheap rap metal like resi.:mad:

Adrenochrome
24-Apr-2006, 12:41 PM
sorry to burst your bubble but the fog and the bug creatures were the only CGI everything else was anamatronics.

So, when "the darkness" came and the place ripped apart, that was animatronics? No.
When "all Hell broke loose" at the end and people were being ripped apart by Burn Girl??? No. (and countless other scenes)
It was much more than the fog and the bugs, my friend.

Geophyrd
24-Apr-2006, 02:10 PM
Well explained, my friend. I don't know what 'rep' is, but if I've got any, you're welcome to some.

I don't care if its CGI, animatronics or shadow puppets. Whatever else it was, it was effective. It was easily the most original horror movie I've seen in years and it worked on every element (although I see Alice Krige and cringe....between her work on Star Trek and the movie Ghost Story, she's the basic go-to-it evil chick. I see her and want to yell RUN!)

My theory, which seems to contradict some others, is that the woman and her daughter were both dead and they inhabited a world that existed in the ghostly mind of the burned girl. That was why it seemed so similar, though much more decripit, to the real world. It was also why at the end of the movie, when she came home, it was still not quite the same as the world that her husband inhabited. In my theory both the cop and the mother died in their respective crashes were dead and their's was a version of hell created in the mind of the burned who either made a pact with a demon or did not and was suffering horrid, powerful delusions.

The sound of the sirens and descent of the darkness was bloody terrifying. As to pyramid head...I would like to have known more about him and his cronies. Scary ass stuff that wasn't explained very well.

My only question is how the heck did this movie get made? Its like a well-made experimental film in horror. I dug it, and look forward to seeing it again but what studio executive read the script and wrote the checks?

HLS
24-Apr-2006, 05:24 PM
Well explained, my friend. I don't know what 'rep' is, but if I've got any, you're welcome to some.

I don't care if its CGI, animatronics or shadow puppets. Whatever else it was, it was effective. It was easily the most original horror movie I've seen in years and it worked on every element (although I see Alice Krige and cringe....between her work on Star Trek and the movie Ghost Story, she's the basic go-to-it evil chick. I see her and want to yell RUN!)

My theory, which seems to contradict some others, is that the woman and her daughter were both dead and they inhabited a world that existed in the ghostly mind of the burned girl. That was why it seemed so similar, though much more decripit, to the real world. It was also why at the end of the movie, when she came home, it was still not quite the same as the world that her husband inhabited. In my theory both the cop and the mother died in their respective crashes were dead and their's was a version of hell created in the mind of the burned who either made a pact with a demon or did not and was suffering horrid, powerful delusions.

The sound of the sirens and descent of the darkness was bloody terrifying. As to pyramid head...I would like to have known more about him and his cronies. Scary ass stuff that wasn't explained very well.

My only question is how the heck did this movie get made? Its like a well-made experimental film in horror. I dug it, and look forward to seeing it again but what studio executive read the script and wrote the checks?

Well put. I had the same theory but I did not understand she was dead till the end of the movie when she went home. I thought the monsters were great especially the first ones to come about. The looked like burned children still smoldering. And I agree that siren was terrifying to say the least.

Danny
25-Apr-2006, 02:58 PM
yeah in the games that comes just before the games gonna change, or a church bell and its allways creepy cus you know whats coming.

as for alessa, or burn girl as some of you call her, she was a young witch who was tormented and repeatedly burnt and kept alive by the cult and dr kauffman, she then tapped into the sleeping power of silent hill itself which amplified her own, she seperated part of her spirit into cheryl who was found by harry mason (rose in the movie), the alessa seen in the game and most likely the film as well wasnt exactly a ghost more a diminished spirit and/or memory waiting to be reunited with her other half , hence the 'calling' to silent hill.

oh yeah, i AM the silent hill guru!:cool: