PDA

View Full Version : Bad Convention Experiences

S&Dproductions
18-Mar-2008, 11:00 PM
I've been surfing the internet and found some threads that first appeared as Savini bashers. People had started a thread of experiences meeting Tom Savini. Out of most of them, said he was an asshole. Some said straight out, "he said nothing but autographs are $20." Maybe this is just fans expecting more out of the man then he wants to give. My personal opinion on the man in these situations is, he gets fans asking him stupid questions all the time. That tends to wear a person down.
So i'm curious. Have you ever had a bad convention experience? Not just Tom Savini, any horror celeb.
Which brings me to my personal story with a horror celeb. I had a horror fan style website of sorts and did scheduled chats. I had ran across Joe Bob Brigg's (Of TNT's Monster Vision) webpage and decided to e-mail the man and ask him to do a chat with the fans. Keep in mind I have never done a celeb style chat before. He agreed to do the chat and posted the date on his website. The day of the chat I had an overwhelming amount of traffic to the page. The page was down and of course Joe Bob to say the least never made it to the chat. Alot of fans were kinda dissapointed, but come to find out, most of the chatters waiting in the room were women that Joe Bob had dated, one-night stands, and broken hearts. These girls were planning to all at once blast him on this chat for publicity or what ever. To say the least, i'm glad he never got into the chat. With this experience, i've found, some celebs lives are just as crazy as ours but their more under the spotlight. These things tend to make us look at these people in a different light.

Danny
18-Mar-2008, 11:33 PM
me and my long time freind and podcast co host went to the mcm expo last year in september adn he whent to get an autograph form the woman who played tara in buffy and she was only interested in peddling this low budget horror film she had made onto him for 30 quid.
and i mean not even so much as a hello, yet the dude who played pinhead was perfeftly polite, if a little out of his element since it was more anime than film this year.

....and i dont blame him, 8 foot tall birck **** house dressed like a pink maid, fishnets and all. *shivers* LETS DO THE TIMEWARP AGAIN! :lol:

Purge
19-Mar-2008, 02:32 AM
The only guest who came off as rude to me was Danielle Harris. Go check out my thread about good and bad convention guests for some info on this subject.

As for the conventions themselves, the last Chiller was the only lousy one--weak guest-list, and I was bored to tears.

Yojimbo
18-Jul-2008, 01:00 AM
I've been surfing the internet and found some threads that first appeared as Savini bashers. People had started a thread of experiences meeting Tom Savini. Out of most of them, said he was an asshole. Some said straight out, "he said nothing but autographs are $20." Maybe this is just fans expecting more out of the man then he wants to give.

Yeah, I had a similar experience with Savini a few years back. Dude was not rude, but not exactly friendly. Don't care, though, the man is still a genius, but, yeah, not friendly. Contrast that with GAR who always seems to be a nice, warmhearted kind of guy.

Maybe Savini is just a standoffish kind of guy- nothing personal meant by it on his end, just not an outgoing personable kind of dude. But if he is annoyed by the stupid questions which will inevitably come up at a convention, maybe he should stop doing these appearances. Again, I say this as a Savini fan, but, really, what does that dude expect from the fans at a convention?

DawnFan inCincy
18-Jul-2008, 02:24 AM
Can only speak of the one time I met her, but Danielle Harris was as sweet as could be to me. I am quite the stud though.

Purge
18-Jul-2008, 02:31 PM
Can only speak of the one time I met her, but Danielle Harris was as sweet as could be to me. I am quite the stud though.

:rolleyes:

DubiousComforts
22-Jul-2008, 12:21 PM
I am quite the stud though.
So what's the next convention that you'll be appearing at? Give everyone a little advance notice so they may begin lining up now.

Minerva_Zombi
09-Aug-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I had a similar experience with Savini a few years back. Dude was not rude, but not exactly friendly. Don't care, though, the man is still a genius, but, yeah, not friendly. Contrast that with GAR who always seems to be a nice, warmhearted kind of guy.

Maybe Savini is just a standoffish kind of guy- nothing personal meant by it on his end, just not an outgoing personable kind of dude. But if he is annoyed by the stupid questions which will inevitably come up at a convention, maybe he should stop doing these appearances. Again, I say this as a Savini fan, but, really, what does that dude expect from the fans at a convention?

Yeah I think hes jst a quiet, subdued kind of guy. I met him in Dallas. He nice and all but he wasn't really into it until he got in front of the public and did q&a and stuff. I think hes more comfortable in front of crowds or the camera than just a one on one.

Yojimbo
09-Aug-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah I think hes jst a quiet, subdued kind of guy. I met him in Dallas. He nice and all but he wasn't really into it until he got in front of the public and did q&a and stuff. I think hes more comfortable in front of crowds or the camera than just a one on one.

You're probably right about that. I had pretty much the same experience that you had with him. I guess you get used to seeing Savini's public side that his quiet and subdued "one on one" side comes unexpectedly and I can see how that gets interpreted as being standoffish, though he probabaly isn't trying to shine folks.

Track1033
10-Aug-2008, 01:34 PM
I have met Savini at a few different conventions here in the northeast circuit...he was not the most outgoing person any of the times but wasn't rude either...the first time I met him I was a bit offended but then realized that must just be him...one perk to Savini is that he will sign anything you bring him for free...I was at a Friday the 13th reunion in Cleveland, Ohio and he signed all of my stuff for free and was happy to talk about some of the props he had there from the film...other than Savini I can say that I have never had a bad experience with any cast member from any of the dead films (excluding LAND...haven't met any of them yet)...GAR is always great to talk to...I even had the honor of smoking a cigarette with him at a small film festival at Slippery Rock University...Kyra Schon is always very nice...Bill Hinzman and Russ Streigner are always very upbeat...John Russo is a bit out there but fun to talk to...One of the best experiences I had was with Marlyin Eastman and the late Karl Hardman...it felt like you were hanging out with your grandparents...everyone form DAWN is great...Ken Foree is always acting crazy and screaming at other celebs and telling dirty jokes...The Day group seems a bit more calm but always very nice...Gary Glar and Joe Pilato are always busting one each other and are great to the fans...Greg Nicatero was really cool to meet to...pretty down to earth...even though there were two guys trying to give Greg their business cards and asking for jobs

One disappointing non dead experience I had...not bad...just disappointing was when I met Gunnar Hannson...I was stoked to meet the OG Leatherface...when we approached his table he just kind of looked at us...he asked for the 20 dollars before he signed anything and seemed a bit annoyed when asked if you could get a picture with him...Douglas Bradley was very friendly

Like most of you said...they probably get tired of answering some pretty lame questions but I think they all handle themselves pretty well...they are just people

Minerva_Zombi
13-Aug-2008, 05:30 AM
Of the celebs I've met heres my critiques :

Romero : Awesome guy. He sat and signed **** for like 8 hours straight and was completely happy and upbeat every second of it. He really went out of his way to make each persons meeting special.

Malcolm McDowell : He's a funny ass dude. It was kind of funny cuz he fell asleep in the lobby of the hotel and people just kinda crowded around him and stared. lol

Ken Foree : Great, funny guy

Tom Savini : We've discussed that

Scott Reiniger : Real down to earth guy. Has a real appreciation for the fans of Dawn.

Russ Steiner :NICE NICE guy! He was a real gentlemen.

Judith O' Dea : One of the sweetest and kindest people I've ever met. I loved her. And Shes still pretty hot. lol

John Russo/Bill Heinzmen : They get really flabber ghasted when you talkmabout NIGHT's success with them. They were both great guys. Bill was even dressed as the Cemetary Zombie.

Eugene Clark : A REAL cool guy. He was obviously a fan of Romero before Land because even he was excited about meeting the Night and Dawn guys. We had a fun fanboy chat. lol

Edwin Neal : Funny as Hell! I loved him.

Lynn Lowry : Smokin'! lol. She was very sweet as well.

Tom Adkins : a real cool guy. I loved him mainly for how he talked **** about Elvira who really acted like a real bitch. lol

But yeah, I've had mainly good experiences so far.

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2008, 06:44 PM
Just wish I had the honor of meeting Hardman before he passed. Still very sad about that.

scarredgod
15-Jul-2009, 07:44 PM
the only bad experience i had was at the Horrorfest convention last year in monroeville. very small dealer room, which is fine because i still but a few hundred dollars worth of stuff, and guests i didnt really care about but again, thats no problem, but what pissed me off was we were denied entry into the savinithon movie room. apparantly mr savini (no wonder everyone says hes a jerk) decided to charge people additional money to get into his exhibition, despite the fact that the website and flyers and program said it was free.

i considered it a total bait and switch move, nothing indicated it was going to be a pay deal outside before paying the money to get in, which was way too much considering the con. we would have been happy with a partial refund, a free poster, anything but no. the people running the event did say that it was savini who decided to charge and not them, but regardless it should have been stated as an additional charge.

i will admit that the girl working a tshirt stand with no pants on made the show worth it for sure, but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

DeadJonas190
10-Aug-2009, 07:40 AM
Just wish I had the honor of meeting Hardman before he passed. Still very sad about that.

I got to meet him @ the Pittsburgh Comicon in 03, he was a cool guy, but regrettably I didn't get much time to talk to him, only a few minutes.

acealive1
05-Dec-2009, 03:05 PM
One disappointing non dead experience I had...not bad...just disappointing was when I met Gunnar Hannson...I was stoked to meet the OG Leatherface...when we approached his table he just kind of looked at us...he asked for the 20 dollars before he signed anything and seemed a bit annoyed when asked if you could get a picture with him...Douglas Bradley was very friendly

i met the other leatherface, RA mihailoff. that motherfucker is cool as ice. it was like the same year i got out of highschool. the line wasnt that long but he sat and talked to me for like 5 minutes. coem to find out,someone i'd know like 5 years later ended up almost being his step daughter cuz the guy was dating her mom.