PDA

View Full Version : To start a film

Lord_Galvatron
23-Apr-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm planning to do my own movie, but I'm thinking about what equipment to get.

For camera I'm planning to get a Sony HDR-FX1 High-Definition MiniDV Handycam Camcorder.

I Imagine that for a PC you need a very powerful system. What you guys recommend? I was thinking a gaming rig from Alienware, I know it's expensive but I like the idea to get full support and warranty than having to buy it by parts.

For edtiting I imagine Adobe Production Studio Premium software and possibly FX Labs Pro :

http://fxhome.com/effectslab/

It's cool that you can do weapons discharge, laser guns and lightsabers with it.

I was thinking about a steady cam harness.

Now I wonder what can I do for audio?

I know there are grants for aspiring filmakers. What is available?

Any imput would be great.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Apr-2006, 11:57 PM
Here is what I got

Panasonic DVX100 - one of only two pro-sumer camers that can do 24 frames Per second, The other being the Canon XL2

Sony Vegas 6.0
FXLAb Pro Visual FX progam

Editing Machine

Amd Athlon 64 939 3700+
GeForce 7900GT
1.5gb of Kingston Dual Channel Ram
over 1 TB of HDD space
22" LCD Monitor 19" tube monitor

9ft Crane aka Jib
27lb Head Tripod by Assisa
Assisa Camera Dolly
900W Brite Tek Inc. lighting Kit
HP Laptop with DV Rack (although i don't use it much... My DP uses his Laptop with DV rack.
17,000 Sq Ft per min Fog machine
MachoGlide Extreme Steadicam unit.

I use a Sennheiser MKE-300 hooked to a boom pole plugged directly into the camera. Do yourself a favor... don't get that Sony cam... the HD is gonna look even more Video. Get the DVX100 you will like it. Or get an XL2

Lord_Galvatron
24-Apr-2006, 12:39 AM
The Panasonic looks nice, and the XL2 looks awesome too... I did some research and the sony cam doesn't do 24p it simulate this but I read in a review that it desn't match the qualty.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Apr-2006, 10:57 AM
I was going to get that same cam, but my DP talked me out of it. Since I like the film look and it is very important to me, I can't speak for you.... but anyway, I would go with the XL2 or DVX100.

Hi-Def has been out some people like it some don't. No film fest will really care that you shot your feature or short in Hi-Def. Save the money you would blow on that cam and get something like an XL2 or DVX100. The quality is amazing.

Lord_Galvatron
24-Apr-2006, 06:30 PM
I saw the DVX100B which looks very sweet. That's the one I'll probably get that. Sony Vegas sounds like a nice set of software, but I'm still thinking about Adobe. Is Vegas a good editing program?

DjfunkmasterG
24-Apr-2006, 06:32 PM
Vegas is excellent and doesn't have crash issues like Adobe Premiere. I have had Vegas for over a year and not a single issue yet.

Lord_Galvatron
24-Apr-2006, 11:35 PM
Now one thing that I'm intrigued about. Sound. Is the sound recording quality good using the camera? I know you can add a mic to it, but I'm seeing having the mic connected to the camera could be more of a hassle, specially if it's on a crane or steady cam unit and there is a character speaking. I would imagine that it would be better to use an external recorder independent of the camera. I saw this gizmo:

http://www.tascam.com/Products/hdp2.html

Personally I think it looks good and I heard good reviews. What do you think?

DjfunkmasterG
25-Apr-2006, 10:56 AM
Ok,

First if you have the camera on a crane, you would film that scene WOS/MOS (Without Optical Stripe/Sound) There is no reason to record sound when the camera is 10-15ft in the air.

You would film the scene on the ground using different angles. Recording sound using a boom plugged into the camera. Then you have your actors take their original positions and you do your crane shot to establish the set up of the dialogue.

In the editor you would put the crane shot first and crane down to your actors, using the audio you recorded while doing other angles you do an L-Cut. If you go from a crane shot, to say a Tripod mid shot, you use the L-Cut.

So set up the camera on the tripod and have your actors start their scene Hold the camera on the actors until the scene is done. Then reset the camera for a single 1/4 shot on each actor and have them run through it again, exactly as scripted. Then have them get into their original positions and set up your crane shot. Start craning down from a tree or something until you see the actors.

When you dump the footage... Use the first few sentences of their dialogue to cut over the top of the crane shot, as the crane shot progresses to your desired cut point, immed cut to the mid shot of the actor in Mid sentence, or the beginning of a new sentence.

All but one single crane shot I have done in my film is MOS/WOS. Then I do what I described above.

The only time I mic'd a crane shot is because I planned on keeping the camera on the crane through the entire 90 second scene.

LD-50
25-Apr-2006, 11:03 PM
For camera I'm planning to get a Sony HDR-FX1 High-Definition MiniDV Handycam Camcorder. <<

I would strongly reccomend against this camera, it has a lot of issues.If it has to be HD, and it has to be sony, then I'd suggest the z1u. I personally am not sold on HD at this stage of the game, at least not in the prosumer end of the market, but I have read a lot of good things about the XLh1, Canons latest entry. If you want HD, and can afford it, it would be something to consider. As far as SD, the panasonic dvx100 is a workhorse of independent filmmakers, and sees wide use in broadcast as well, a lot of times that is the camera you are seeing in reality and game shows. It provides true progressive capture, which no HD camera does (until you get into a real high budget) and can give a reasonably good "film look" . It is also at least a stop faster, if not 2 than the Canon, ( that means it is more sensitive to light). My personal preference however is for the XL2. Although the controls are less "pro-style" I feel it is easier to acheive that cinematic look. A large part of that is the glass on the front. Although the panasonic has a great lens, it is not interchangeable, and is just too short for discriminatory focus. The Xl2 also shoots native 16:9. When you shoot 16:9 with the dvx, you lose a good bit of resolution, because the chips are configured to record in 4:3. In the case of anamorphic framing, this loss is even more pronounced, with resolution being slightly less than s-vhs. One consideration though, is the weight. The Xl2 weighs almost eight pounds, which is too heavy for many of the accessories available to the super low budget filmmaker, such as the steadicam jr, and keep in mind that if you wish to use a crane, you must take into account not only the weight of the camera, but the weight of the counter balance (15 pounds for a 5 pound camera on a 9 foot crane) and the crane itself, to make sure your tripod and head can handle it. That 3 pounds may not seem like such a difference, but it adds up quick. Since I'm accustomed to using cameras like the sony d50 which can weigh quite a lot depending on the lens,I personally prefer a heavier camera to a lighter one for handheld work, but I have heard a lot of people in the independent film community complain about the weight of the XL2. Anyway that's all I can think of for now, but if you need anymore info let me know. I can telll you where to read reviews of these and other cameras.This is my first post, I am the director of photography for Deadlands.Sorry if this post is long winded, but I really like talking about cameras !!

DjfunkmasterG
26-Apr-2006, 01:03 AM
Welcome to the community LD50 aka My DP. :D

If anyone knows about Cameras it is LD50. I trust him on Cameras. Infact anytime I go tmoney to burn I call him and ask... Should I get this, or get this.

The man knows his stuff. I can attest to it. :D

Eyebiter
27-Apr-2006, 03:51 PM
If anyone needs an extra camera for their film project... have a Panasonic DVX100 (US version) for sale, includes an Azden SM-2x shotgun microphone $2650 plus shipping.

Pistolero Films
29-Apr-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't think you need a huge amount of equipment to start a film - especially high-end equipment.

I've seen some good material done with a hi-8 - it all depends on what you do with your film, not what your equipment is.

My first step would be to practise - make a bunch of shorts, videos and get used to the idea before you make the leap and make a 90 min feature.

Next, grab a book called the $30 film school, or take some night classes on film instruction at your local university or college. You don't have to enrole in the whole 5 year program - just take what you need and leave the rest.

Hook up with other indie producers and offer your help free.

And before you buy a camera, do a lot of online searches for reviews and comparisions. It took me 4 months to decided which one I wanted :)

Good luck!

Lord_Galvatron
29-Apr-2006, 07:54 PM
I really appreciate all of your inputs. I think another alternative would be to rent for most of the equipment, but If I would buy some of it, it would be the PC and the camera.

I just fiished mt script. It is not flesh-eating zombies, but it does have to do with the undead.

I guess I need to try to find a way to finance the project... At least I can tell the crew that they'll have a job for about 4 to 6 weeks... and the pay is 20 dollars :D

DjfunkmasterG
30-Apr-2006, 02:09 PM
Well here is a suggestion.

Food and screen cred pay only.

Since I don't know how much money you have or where you plan on getting the money I could make a few suggestions for you.

DEADLANDS was originally a $5,000 flick. Even at $5,000 I couldn't pay anyone except for the make-up people, and that was just for supplies. So you could try to find people looking to showcase their talents and give them a make-up Budget. Tell them it is no pay for the work, but you will cover supplies.

Do the samething with extras. Feed them and promise them screen credit. Pizza is the minimu you will need, but you also have to provide water and soda. If this is your first film you can't blow all your cash paying crew... It is better to spend it on the supplies to make the movie and explain to everyone what you are doing. If you makea good film, and make money off it do a sequel with a bigger budget. Then maybe try to throw some cash to them on the back end.

Say you have a crew of 10 people, plus actors and extras, are you going to pay them each $20 a pop. Even at 10 people that is $200.00. Concentrate your funds towards equipment and supplies. Do you have a DP? If not learn how to properly light a scene. Having a DP saved my ass.

Try not to waste money if you can work it out with people on the back end.

Danny
30-Apr-2006, 03:06 PM
two words. pound.land.:D