30-Mar-2008, 07:51 PM
dido, in general.

Terran
30-Mar-2008, 08:12 PM
Im gonna go with the Gary Jules version of Mad World

Danny
30-Mar-2008, 08:26 PM

now see im not to bothered by that, travis' sing bugs me more.

mostly becasue the songs compirsed of the word sing again and again.:lol:

Marie
30-Mar-2008, 10:31 PM
Actually, the most depressing song was a little ditty called "Gloomy Sunday" Supposedly it caused several suicides. I just got mad listening to it, kinda boring.

M_

Tricky
30-Mar-2008, 10:35 PM
Any of radioheads back catalogue!

DeadJonas190
31-Mar-2008, 05:44 AM
I have to say "Waiting Around to Die" by Townes Van Zandt is the most depressing song ever, at the same time it has a haunting beauty to it. He was an amazing song writer. RIP Townes.

capncnut
31-Mar-2008, 07:36 AM
It's hard trying to class this one - a song that I find sad or a song that depresses me in general.

Sad: Too many to mention but Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley stands out right now.

Depressing: Anything by Coldplay, those f**kers bore me to tears!

Nah, that song just makes me think of Gears Of War. ;)

ZombieGrrL
31-Mar-2008, 11:17 AM
Joe Cocker - You Are So Beautiful

The last part hurts my ears.

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2008, 11:18 AM
"The Scientist" by Coldplay.

I dig the song, and that album in fact on which it's on, but it is quite a sad/depressing track...more-so depending on the state of mind.

mista_mo
31-Mar-2008, 11:34 AM
thats my favourite song Minion, **** yea! That Hallelujah song by rufus wrainwright, and Boulebvard of broken dreams.

SymphonicX
31-Mar-2008, 04:33 PM
The Home and Away theme tune....depresses me to ****....hahaha

"I'd rather be a wanderer" by Donald Rubinstein (come on....its seriously tear jerking!!!)

Repentance by Dream Theater

Soldier of Fortune by DP/Opeth

Chic Freak
31-Mar-2008, 07:00 PM
Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' 'Hurt' is easily the most depressing song I've ever heard. I can't even watch the video to it, it actually upsets me too much (on Youtube, if you haven't seen it)! I guess context is important, because knowing it really is all about his wife dying is partly what sets me off, I think.

My other personal 'songs to slash your wrists to' are:

* Joy Division: Atmosphere
* Marilyn Manson: Man That You Fear
* Manic Street Preachers: 4 st 7 lb
* MSP's cover of Nirvana's 'Been A Son'
* NIN: The Day the World Went Away

Slightly OT, but thought I'd also (roughly) quote an incredibly depressing line from a film called Lords of War that I watched recently:

"People say that evil prevails when good men do nothing, but what they should really say is just that evil prevails."

*goes to drown self in bath*

Mike70
31-Mar-2008, 07:01 PM
"single" by everything but the girl.

yeah i do listen to other music besides thrash, punk and reggae - well, sometimes i do.

mista_mo
31-Mar-2008, 07:11 PM
That's it guys,

I'm gonna go outside and play in the snow, while singing aqua and petting puppies!

Someones gotta be happy, and it falls to me to do it for the greater good of HPOTD.

Tricky
31-Mar-2008, 07:34 PM
"Gortoz A Ran - J'Attends" by hans zimmer from the black hawk down soundtrack is pretty depressing,good though

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2008, 08:16 PM
Ooh, that's a good on Chic - Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is really good and really emotional, and aye I've seen the video...there's this overwhelming sense of him understanding that the end for him is very near, and here he is looking back over his life...it's quite powerful.

As for personal reasons, "Abide With Me" is one I can't listen to anymore. It was a song of choice at my Gran's funeral in 2005 (the first funeral I'd ever been to), and obviously it was just an awful experience - but then again a funeral couldn't be anything else really - so that's the saddest song for me, on the personal side.

For general purpose, "Hurt" or "The Scientist" certainly rank there...for the latter, it was the song playing when Russ Malkin rolled 'the Animal' truck in the middle of Mongolia on "Long Way Round"...just as the other guys in the other truck rush up in a panic to get their friends and collegues out of the smashed truck, "The Scientist" is playing on the stereo, and continues and it just sounds really eerie as they all sit there shocked and stunned and a bit bruised (but fine otherwise)...all in the middle of nowhere...kinda weird and ... well, I duno how to word it really.

By the way - Long Way Round is f*cking superb.

Danny
31-Mar-2008, 08:33 PM
november rain is depressing, just for the video alone.

clanglee
31-Mar-2008, 08:51 PM
Save Me - Aimee Mann
Wind Beneth the Barley - Dead Can Dance

p2501
31-Mar-2008, 10:54 PM
Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' 'Hurt' is easily the most depressing song I've ever heard. I can't even watch the video to it, it actually upsets me too much (on Youtube, if you haven't seen it)! I guess context is important, because knowing it really is all about his wife dying is partly what sets me off, I think.

She took mine.

video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

Chic Freak
31-Mar-2008, 11:09 PM

Heh, that video makes me laugh! But then Axl Rose in general makes me laugh.

She took mine.

Sorry if I'm just being thick... but what do you mean?

Danny
31-Mar-2008, 11:37 PM
Heh, that video makes me laugh! But then Axl Rose in general makes me laugh.

oh dude, i pissed myself laughing at slash playing guitar in the desert, that was so over the top i couldnt stop laughing but everyone else in the room thought it was "the ****", but they all wanted to watch clubland tv, so no accounting for taste i 'spose.

kortick
01-Apr-2008, 02:08 AM
you havent heard depressing until
you heard what HLS put on her myspace page.

beyond words

Mike70
01-Apr-2008, 02:48 AM
you havent heard depressing until
you heard what HLS put on her myspace page.

beyond words

well she is on dr. pus' site that i visit and i just had to look.

oh my god my ears. i don't think my brain will ever be the same. thanks a lot paul, i think i am even more scarred than before.

jesus - her mood is set to horny!!??:stunned::eek::eek:

clanglee
01-Apr-2008, 03:14 AM
I'm sorry but. . .HLS?
:confused:

Mike70
01-Apr-2008, 03:28 AM
I'm sorry but. . .HLS?
:confused:

banned member of ill repute.

since she has this in her public profile on dr. pus' site, i have no real reservations about showing you what we are talking about.

http://www.myspace.com/heidi342

clanglee
01-Apr-2008, 07:27 AM
:stunned:

oh my

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2008, 10:04 AM
November Rain is only depressing because you sit there watching it thinking "this is Guns n Roses? ... there's a f*cking piano ... there's a bloody orchestra ... the video is SO OVERBLOWN ... Axl is disappearing up his own arse ... it's all gone wrong!"

Plus the song goes on for bloody ages and only kicks off in the last couple of minutes, cut that song to 4 minutes and then at least half of it would rock cock, instead of about 10% of it. :p

That was the problem with Use Your Illusion 1&2, half was cool, half was overblown pomposity.

p2501
01-Apr-2008, 12:00 PM
Sorry if I'm just being thick... but what do you mean?

heh, no worries. my initial response to the post was going to be Cash's version of Hurt. but you beat me to it, :D

November Rain is only depressing because you sit there watching it thinking "this is Guns n Roses? ... there's a f*cking piano ... there's a bloody orchestra ... the video is SO OVERBLOWN ... Axl is disappearing up his own arse ... it's all gone wrong!"

Plus the song goes on for bloody ages and only kicks off in the last couple of minutes, cut that song to 4 minutes and then at least half of it would rock cock, instead of about 10% of it. :p

That was the problem with Use Your Illusion 1&2, half was cool, half was overblown pomposity.
i dunno. back when they'd run it on Headbangers ball i kinda looked forward to it. it gave me a garunteed 5-6 minutes window to get up, use the bathroom and raid the fridge.

overblow? yes.

but useful.

Chic Freak
01-Apr-2008, 03:03 PM
November Rain is only depressing because you sit there watching it thinking "this is Guns n Roses?

LOL! Good point. Appetite for Destruction all the way!!

Mike70
01-Apr-2008, 03:13 PM
h

i dunno. back when they'd run it on Headbangers ball i kinda looked forward to it. it gave me a garunteed 5-6 minutes window to get up, use the bathroom and raid the fridge.

:lol: about the only thing a guns n' roses video was good for back then.

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2008, 06:00 PM
LOL! Good point. Appetite for Destruction all the way!!
Heck yes!

*Roses five* *snap!* :cool:

Bruiser235
01-Apr-2008, 07:15 PM

Nice choice. I personally prefer Tears for Fears' version, but a good version nonetheless.

I'd probably go with Depeche Mode's Never Let Me Down Again.

Tricky
03-Apr-2008, 05:42 PM
YgJffiGHz7M