PDA

View Full Version : City Of The Dead by Brian Keene **SPOILERS**

ZombieGrrL
02-Apr-2008, 07:30 AM
I've almost finished this book & a bit disappointed.

I almost stopped reading after learning that the zombies aren't traditional, as the reanimation is by demons inhabiting the body of the newly dead. These demons can talk, access the mind of their host, drive, use weapons, radio etc.

I guess that the author is giving a "new spin" on the genre, but it let it down a bit.

I also realise that I've jumped into the 2nd book as I noticed The Rising was the first one (if it is a series?).

Has anyone else read it? What did you think?

3pidemiC
02-Apr-2008, 05:43 PM
I thought both books are great. You really need to read The Rising first.

I will admit that the ending to City is pretty depressing.

SRP76
02-Apr-2008, 06:13 PM
Didn't get City of the Dead, but I did start reading The Rising. I also thought the concept of "demon-inhabited" zombies was full of suckage. I kind of quit reading it.

However, I also read Dead Sea. That one doesn't have the whole "escape from Hell" gimmick; it's a pretty conventional zombie book. It also happens to be great.

So if you don't like the setup for City of the Dead, try to find Dead Sea instead.

ZombieGrrL
03-Apr-2008, 12:17 AM
I finished City Of The Dead last night and yes, it is depressing.

I realise what was missing - other than the non-conventional zombies. You really didn't get to see much background of the characters or see much interaction between people, it was all go go go run run fight fight fight from the beginning to the end. I'm guessing the 1st book covers most of this. Thanks for letting me know about that 3pidemiC. If I find The Rising I will read it, and then City Of The Dead again. Might make more sense.

Over all - not too bad.

SRP76, luckily I bought Dead Sea at the same time. I just started reading it this morning so I'm looking forward to some normal zombies. :)

3pidemiC
03-Apr-2008, 03:56 AM
I really don't see anything wrong with having a new and different take on zombies. I really don't think I'd stop reading a book because it was something new.

And yes, there is much more character developement in The Rising.

clanglee
05-Apr-2008, 02:07 AM
Both were ok, I liked City a whole lot better tho. When I first read the Rising, there was no sequel. That cliff hanger ending pissed me off!! City is quite depressing, yes, but there was some cool, sick stuff in there.

ZombieGrrL
05-Apr-2008, 03:42 AM
I really don't see anything wrong with having a new and different take on zombies. I really don't think I'd stop reading a book because it was something new.

And yes, there is much more character developement in The Rising.No there's nothing wrong with it but it's just a surprise, especially since I read book 2 first.

Both were ok, I liked City a whole lot better tho. When I first read the Rising, there was no sequel. That cliff hanger ending pissed me off!! I would be pissed off too! I'm not patient when it comes to cliffhangers!

Suicycho
08-Apr-2008, 01:50 AM
The Rising and City of the Dead were excellent books.

Dead Sea however...not so great.

clanglee
09-Apr-2008, 11:36 PM
I actually prefered Dead Sea to the other two. Better story and more classic zombies. Once again however, his endings aren't exactly . . . happy.

AcesandEights
10-Apr-2008, 02:06 AM
Though I do sympathize with the idea that a new take on zombies can lead to great things, I too was a bit disappointed with the central premise regarding re-animation in The Rising.

That said, the book was decent and I have thought about reading Dead Sea, but rumors of one thing leave me hesitant:

Zombie whale? Say it ain't so!

SRP76
10-Apr-2008, 02:11 AM
Though I do sympathize with the idea that a new take on zombies can lead to great things, I too was a bit disappointed with the central premise regarding re-animation in The Rising.

That said, the book was decent and I have thought about reading Dead Sea, but rumors of one thing leave me hesitant:

Zombie whale? Say it ain't so!

Yup. Zombie whale. Only appears once, near the very end. It works because in this book, EVERYTHING gets zombified when it dies, not just people.

It's not like the book is about an undead Moby Dick or anything like that, though.

Cartma7546
14-Apr-2008, 02:56 AM
As far as the zombie's talking and all that mess, I think it adds depth to story being that it adds to more character development. I admit at times it does get silly and isn't conventional but it does give it a spin that would work in smaller doses.

As far as the stories go, i personally like the rising but only read city of the dead because I wanted to know what happen and like most of you I was pissed at the ending.

dfinn0103
27-May-2022, 02:16 PM
I too was disappointed with the series. I was ok with the twist on the zombies but I believe the author left many references hanging in the wind and went in another direction. In Frankie’s dream, Martin tells her that the next phase would start when a cerrain percentage of the population is changed but we never learn that percentage or where in the bible it states that. Then on multiple occasions the author says how magic is the only way to beat Ob and his legions but magic was never brought into the book. In addition, we were told how Ob, his brothers and the rest of demons have been here way before man and christianity but it seems as though the author didn’t know what to do in the end so copped out and made everyone go to “heaven” in the end. Just a waste of many hours reading two books to end so cheesily and dreary. Could have written the book in a few sentences. Demons rise. Kill everyone. all goes to heaven. Ob, his brothers and their legions destroy earth. Rinse repeat. Lastly, I may be jilted but Danny seemed so annoying and wouldn’t have cared if he was eaten after about 10 pages of his introduction.