PDA

View Full Version : So how do you see it all ending?

SgtSteve
27-Apr-2006, 04:01 AM
I mean mostly for those of us here in the States but anyone can chime in. The more I see now a days the more worried I become for a country that I truly love.

How do you think that it is all going to end.

I'll listen to you (if any) and put my two cents in tomarrow.

Got nothing but time since my foot surgery.

p.s. walkers and crutches suck :dead:

Danny
27-Apr-2006, 05:43 AM
nuclear plants exploding, chernobyl style. cant think of owt much worse than that, epsecially for you guys in america.

oh and theres a plus side with cruthces you can get people to stay about a 4 foot distance away in malls, thats allways good.

p2501
27-Apr-2006, 01:04 PM
viral. WHO and the CDC are so terribly underfunded, i suspect if we do all get wiped out it'll be something viral, either naturally occuring, or man made.

Adrenochrome
27-Apr-2006, 02:06 PM
I see it changing, not ending.

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2006, 02:13 PM
Never mind the plants - the stockpiles of poorly secured nuclear waste is what to worry about. Some muppet interviewee said on Sky News this morning that all the nuclear waste we have awaiting permanent, secure stockpiling is just sitting there waiting to be blown up by a terrorist, which could cause a million deaths. Just another reason why this government is a waste of time, they're chasing Cameron around with childish slam-campaigns (which they said they wouldn't do) meanwhile there are hundreds and thousands of foreign criminals running loose and our nuclear waste is just waiting to be blown up by a terrorist.

Wake up guv'ment, spend some money on action instead of civil servants and red tape, morons!

TexasZombie
27-Apr-2006, 02:35 PM
The sad, scary fact is that we live in a world where accidental diseases have already been created that approach 100%/100% contagious/lethality (or end-stage effect) in their targeted hosts. This isn't science fiction. I wish it was, but it's not.

I know that at least three of these diseases were created as an accidental byproduct of legitimate medical research. No, I can't describe them, as I am under several non-disclosure agreements.

I suspect that eventually something like this will get out and into the human population.

It's hard to imagine something that always kills everyone who contracts it, and that always infects everyone exposed. It's easy to imagine something killing most people, or simply rendering them susceptible to something else, or sterilizing or blinding almost every mammal on the planet or something like that.

The havok something like that would play on national infrastructure suggests that even two weeks of nationwide shutdonw/disruption would result in a downward spiral from which we (i.e. the West) could not recover.

As an example of potential chaos, the CDC recently released a plan wherein, in the case of pandemic flu, airline flight attendants would be allowed to diagnose and refer to quarantine anyone they suspected was sick. !!! Think about it - IF a very contagious and lethal disease began spreading through the population, the US government is willing to consider letting people with no medical training decide who goes into three-day quarantine and who can go free. Doctors? Test kits? Nah. Just flight attendants.

When you fly as often as I do, you come to the realization that most flight attendants are only marginally smarter than bugs, and not very well equipped to deal with anything more traumatic than a noisy child.

There are no medical facilities for holding people at airports in the US. I'm not sure they'd even have the authority (let alone the capability) to stop people from leaving anyway. I guess airport security could shoot folks, but that wouldn't lend itself to controlling a chaotic situation.

In other words, the capability to wipe ourselves out is well established (including the nuclear problems already mentioned). The ability to defend against or mitigate a nationwide catastrophe is not.

Blah!
TZ

mista_mo
27-Apr-2006, 05:09 PM
well, the fatality rate for contracting ebola zaire is about 90% in some of the epidemics.....and it is easily contracted through blood and bodily fluids...I imagine it'll be through a virus, not this one neccessarilly, but I imagine a virus will do it.

Adrenochrome
27-Apr-2006, 05:10 PM
well, the fatality rate for contracting ebola zaire is about 90% in some of the epidemics.....and it is easily contracted through blood and bodily fluids...I imagine it'll be through a virus, not this one neccessarilly, but I imagine a virus will do it.
Oh, come on!

mista_mo
27-Apr-2006, 05:12 PM
what...dude, it could happen. Elaberate on the come on if you will.

Adrenochrome
27-Apr-2006, 08:01 PM
what...dude, it could happen. Elaberate on the come on if you will.
too high of a population for a virus to "end it all".....simple enough explination.

idsaluteyoubub
27-Apr-2006, 09:18 PM
too high of a population for a virus to "end it all".....simple enough explination.

Not true at all. Get a highly contagious disease that spreads in highly communicable areas that has the tendancy to mutate and we got ourselves a possible endoftheworld scenario.

Black Death? Wiped out between 1/4 and 1/3 of the European population, mostly in the urban areas...not to mention the onslaught it caused in Asia...and this was a time where the rural to urban population was still relatively even...now that we have more cities and more people, these kinds of diseases would spread far more rapidly.

All I know is that if it does happen, I am going straight to Nebraska to meet Abigail:D

Terran
27-Apr-2006, 10:13 PM
Fear not....the singularity is approaching....

Not true at all. Get a highly contagious disease that spreads in highly communicable areas that has the tendancy to mutate and we got ourselves a possible endoftheworld scenario.

Black Death? Wiped out between 1/4 and 1/3 of the European population, mostly in the urban areas...not to mention the onslaught it caused in Asia...and this was a time where the rural to urban population was still relatively even...now that we have more cities and more people, these kinds of diseases would spread far more rapidly.

All I know is that if it does happen, I am going straight to Nebraska to meet Abigail:D

Well even the black death wasnt 100% fatal...people did live after contracting it....A disease seems pretty impossible senario to wipe out all of humanity....likely senario in a disease epidemic is:.....Outbreak....Chaos...Collapse of Society....Remission of Disease(for tons of different factors)...survivors rebuild....1% of the human population remaining is enough to repopulate....

Neil
27-Apr-2006, 10:18 PM

I think some entire species of birds have been wiped out by viruses!

Terran
27-Apr-2006, 10:19 PM
I mean mostly for those of us here in the States but anyone can chime in. The more I see now a days the more worried I become for a country that I truly love.

How do you think that it is all going to end.

I'll listen to you (if any) and put my two cents in tomarrow.

Got nothing but time since my foot surgery.

p.s. walkers and crutches suck :dead:

I dont see it ever "ending"....the animal species known as humans will die out likely to simply be phased out by their own conscious choice....their minds will live on....the singularity is approaching...

p2501
27-Apr-2006, 10:20 PM

not even remotely.

the only thing that's kept the Ebola variant Zaire (the worst strain) contained in africa are the facts, it's fluid spread, and getting around in africa is so slow.

alot of the WHO worst cast scenerios involve an airborne strain of ebola (there is one that infects moneky) hitting a major population center on one of the costal regions of Africa. if it were to spread to europe or asia under the right circumstances. we'd be effectively ****ed.

doubt me?

try these

The coming Plagues - Lori Garnett
The Hot zone - richard preston.

Neil
27-Apr-2006, 10:22 PM

Well even the black death wasnt 100% fatal...people did live after contracting it....A disease seems pretty impossible senario to wipe out all of humanity....likely senario in a disease epidemic is:.....Outbreak....Chaos...Collapse of Society....Remission of Disease(for tons of different factors)...survivors rebuild....1% of the human population remaining is enough to repopulate....

Ummm... Imagine if 99% of the worlds population died... Infact let's be generous, let's make it just 90%... How do you think food would get into that fridge that no has electricity? How long do you think it will take the fuel to run out in the that car that no longer has any parts being made for it? How long until your mobile phone, that has no network to work on, fails.

It wouldn't take much for "everything" to collapse... Once it has, then we'd fall back to medieval times again...

eg: Every computer these days is made with the aid of a computer :)

Terran
27-Apr-2006, 10:25 PM
Thats different....usually the population was already low from some other means...

Like Island isolated...(species only exists on an island)
or hunted heavily...becomes endangered.... nurseries try to breed a population...but the population is so inbred that one disease is able to wipe them out because of the lack of genetic variation...

Some times a disease just wipes out a population to such a low level...that the animals have trouble running across a mate....so they die out due to lack of proximatity to others of their species......

We are a very social and extraordinarily intelligent animal...even if only 0.5% and less survived a virus outbreak we would figure out ways to find other humans (smoke signals and **** or just tech lying about)...

Ummm... Imagine if 99% of the worlds population died... Infact let's be generous, let's make it just 90%... How do you think food would get into that fridge that no has electricity? How long do you think it will take the fuel to run out in the that car that no longer has any parts being made for it? How long until your mobile phone, that has no network to work on, fails.

It wouldn't take much for "everything" to collapse... Once it has, then we'd fall back to medieval times again...

eg: Every computer these days is made with the aid of a computer :)

Yeah everything would collaspe...society as we know it wouldnt exist....it would be rebuilt though...just cause food aint in the fridge....and fuel aint in the car....doesnt mean humans cant survive....with all the humans dieing from diseases...and our society collasping....animals would be everywhere to eat...and all the products from our previous society would still be around...because a disease epidemic means theres still plenty of canned foods and emergancy rations around to be found since people dieing off so quickly...

idsaluteyoubub
27-Apr-2006, 10:35 PM

Oh yea I agree for the most part...I dont think a disease could completely wipe out our race...there has to be a select few that biulds up some anti-bodies for it or something...but it would put our race into such a deep recess that I dont think we would ever come back to what we are now...IF we would survive such a severe decline of 99% of our race dropping...

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2006, 10:46 PM
Although the black death was quite a long time ago and medicine has advanced a hell of a lot since those days, heck, even the deadly flu about 100 years ago in Britain (which was apparently bird flu) was at a time when medicine was still in it's infancy. These days I'd like to think we could manage an epidemic well, especially after seeing all that SARS sh*t going on.

Terran
27-Apr-2006, 10:48 PM
Oh yea I agree for the most part...I dont think a disease could completely wipe out our race...there has to be a select few that biulds up some anti-bodies for it or something...but it would put our race into such a deep recess that I dont think we would ever come back to what we are now...IF we would survive such a severe decline of 99% of our race dropping...

Not necessarily true...
During the ice age genetic evidence suggests that the human population dropped to about 10,000 adults around 50 and 100 thousand years ago.

Now remember this was without technology as we know it...Today we have books everywhere...and the reminders of our past all over the place.....

10,000 adults around 50 and 100 thousand years ago...spat out all of us that our alive today...we could do it even faster with all the knowledge that would remain after a disaster...

I think if our population dropped to about 10,000 adults today...it would be much easier to come back from than it was 50-100 thousand years ago.....think...no giant predators or giant dangerous prey to deal with....domesticated animals everywhere....and education locked in books all over the world....

idsaluteyoubub
27-Apr-2006, 10:59 PM
Not necessarily true...
During the ice age genetic evidence suggests that the human population dropped to about 10,000 adults around 50 and 100 thousand years ago.

Now remember this was without technology as we know it...Today we have books everywhere...and the reminders of our past all over the place.....

10,000 adults around 50 and 100 thousand years ago...spat out all of us that our alive today...we could do it even faster with all the knowledge that would remain after a disaster...

I think if our population dropped to about 10,000 adults today...it would be much easier to come back from than it was 50-100 thousand years ago.....think...no giant predators or giant dangerous prey to deal with....domesticated animals everywhere....and education locked in books all over the world....

However, you have to factor in surface area compared to back then, when these 10,000 adults were all in a somewhat condensed area. We are now spanned to every inch of the globe. Chances are, there wouldnt be any pilots or anyone that knows how to comadeer a boat across an ocean with only 10,000 adults around...

Terran
27-Apr-2006, 11:14 PM
However, you have to factor in surface area compared to back then, when these 10,000 adults were all in a somewhat condensed area. We are now spanned to every inch of the globe. Chances are, there wouldnt be any pilots or anyone that knows how to comadeer a boat across an ocean with only 10,000 adults around...

Yeah but I already essentially covered this....humans are smart enough to contact other humans... signal fires...messages painted on walls....whatever....the point is groups will form and there will be more than enough resources availble for these groups....

These groups would form small settlements and these settlements woudl be like a magnet to any drifting stragglers...Word would be spread still the settlement is as big as it can maintain....(it would grow over time within its ability to support the new comers)

If nearly everyone died out massively and abruptly(totally unlikely)....There are going to be relics of our past all over....boats....cars.....stockpiles of unused resources ...propane...gas...candles...matches...food...dome sticated animals....

So all the humans in the US, Cananda, Mexico, and South America all have access to each other for genetic transfer....And then there is always all the people in continents of Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia...all with land access or crude boat access to each other...

So in comparision to what humans faced in the Ice Age....Population of only10,000 Adults (Spread out all over Europe Asia and Africa)....massive super predators...massive dangerous prey items...poor tools and shelter and unbearable weather conditions...

Humans coming back from a disease epidemic today would be a cakewalk in comparision....

Sizeable populations on all continents...relics of our past mass production...lack of predators....favorable weather conditions...guns, ammunition, knifes, water bottles...buildings to hold him in....It would be like an Ice Age mans idea of heaven...

SgtSteve
28-Apr-2006, 12:05 AM
Perhaps my question was too broad. I am not speaking of extinction through natural events. As one put it I see the world changing, but not for the better.

I can't help but see the majority of my fellow human beings as self centered little heidonist. If it feels good do it seems to be the battle cry for the majority of the population.

Don't have any social controls or shame a person for what they do because that would be judging them. What kink od social standards are we suppose to have with that.

People whale about crime but will be the first to accuse a police officer of excessive fource when he has to do more than 'pleasantly' put handcuffs on them. Hey they should be hasseling REAL criminals rights. Not me. What I did is really not that illeagle.

I used to see a granual decline of society. Now I see it rocketing down.

I'll give my "Fall of the United States" senario later.

Terran
28-Apr-2006, 01:10 AM
Perhaps my question was too broad. I am not speaking of extinction through natural events. As one put it I see the world changing, but not for the better.

I can't help but see the majority of my fellow human beings as self centered little heidonist. If it feels good do it seems to be the battle cry for the majority of the population.

Don't have any social controls or shame a person for what they do because that would be judging them. What kink od social standards are we suppose to have with that.

People whale about crime but will be the first to accuse a police officer of excessive fource when he has to do more than 'pleasantly' put handcuffs on them. Hey they should be hasseling REAL criminals rights. Not me. What I did is really not that illeagle.

Well given that senario...humanity will never die....because the singularity is near...

TexasZombie
28-Apr-2006, 02:31 AM
My concern would be an artificial disease that operates outside natural parameters: a virus or phage that unwraps DNA or causes the decomposition of cartiledge or blocks the Krebs Cycle or causes uncontrolled release of cellular lysates or something fun like that.

TZ

P.S. Unless the Singularity gets us first - which would be cool. I wanna be the first one through the cultural/species Event Horizon!!! :)

P.P.S. How about a disease that causes a cumulative 3% decline in viable births per year? Let it run 50 years or so...

Terran
28-Apr-2006, 03:11 AM
P.S. Unless the Singularity gets us first - which would be cool. I wanna be the first one through the cultural/species Event Horizon!!! :)

P.P.S. How about a disease that causes a cumulative 3% decline in viable births per year? Let it run 50 years or so...

Ive just been spouting that "the singularity is near" because its the name of this book Ive been reading....

Its not fiction...but its like one of those prediction type books...using mathematical models to predict the progression and effect of technology....and the book is called "The Singularity is Near"....and its about how technology is growing expotentially....and that we are reaching the knee of this curve(where growth rapidly becomes nearly parrallel with the y axis)...
And so the book is about machine intelligence becoming indistinguishable from human intelligience...essentially the two become one....and when this happens the way existence is defined will totally be unearthed and changed.......

Its a really interesting book....and its hard to make it uncomplicated....but its really exciting stuff...

idsaluteyoubub
28-Apr-2006, 03:11 AM

Arent you Mr. Happy?:D

And what is wrong with being a hedonist? Its just another philosophical thought, albeit extreme. But there isnt much harm done to others when being a hedonist, only personal harm...and its one's right to do what they want with their bodies.

Now go to the extreme opposite, have a hardcore Puritan mindset and it can be debated that this mindset is far worse. Militant force upon people a set of beliefs and horrendous accusations against those who enjoy the drink or whatever is far more threatening and harmful if you ask me.

SgtSteve
28-Apr-2006, 03:16 AM
Extremism in the name of anything is inherently bad. You gotta think for yourself and not blindly follow anything (see middle east).

The problem I have with hedenist is that it is all about them. It strikes me as a complete lack of disapline in search of what makes you feel good. In the larger picture (society as a whole) I do see it doing damage.

TexasZombie
28-Apr-2006, 03:17 AM
Ive just been spouting that "the singularity is near" because its the name of this book Ive been reading....

Its not fiction...but its like one of those prediction type books...<snip>

Its a really interesting book....and its hard to make it uncomplicated....but its really exciting stuff...

I know it's not fiction. I've been waiting on Vinge's predicted Singularity to get here for over a decade (for I am a patient zombie). We're getting closer... I know 'cause I'm helping to push the cart over the edge... :)

TZ

Danny
28-Apr-2006, 03:21 AM

yeah exactly i dont know much science but i know that things like the black death adn spanish flu simply fizzled out because they infected too many people at once and uninfected people became few and far between so without new hosts it died out ,granted with a lot of deaths but its gotta be statistically impossible for a single virus to wipe out an entire planet.

Although the black death was quite a long time ago and medicine has advanced a hell of a lot since those days, heck, even the deadly flu about 100 years ago in Britain (which was apparently bird flu) was at a time when medicine was still in it's infancy. These days I'd like to think we could manage an epidemic well, especially after seeing all that SARS sh*t going on.

well thats because were biritsh by jove and no jhonny foreigner virus will get the best of us, we have alotments!:lol:

but surely you could learn to pilot a boat, i mean it may be difficult but it cant be impossible.

idsaluteyoubub
28-Apr-2006, 03:26 AM
Extremism in the name of anything is inherently bad. You gotta think for yourself and not blindly follow anything (see middle east).

The problem I have with hedenist is that it is all about them. It strikes me as a complete lack of disapline in search of what makes you feel good. In the larger picture (society as a whole) I do see it doing damage.

So extreme piety is inherently bad? Your logic is a bit flawed, but I see what you are saying.

And again, I just think that its a matter of opinion. I dont see how hedonism...true hedonism...could harm anyone but the one who is practicing it. Hedonism doesnt branch out to harm others...as something like piety doesnt. Its a very harmless...and in some eyes...irresponsible way of life...but harmless nonetheless...

but surely you could learn to pilot a boat, i mean it may be difficult but it cant be impossible.

It depends on where you are going, I guess. I would think it would be near impossible to learn how to take a boat across an ocean without proper training...

SgtSteve
28-Apr-2006, 03:43 AM
So extreme piety is inherently bad? Your logic is a bit flawed, but I see what you are saying.

And again, I just think that its a matter of opinion. I dont see how hedonism...true hedonism...could harm anyone but the one who is practicing it. Hedonism doesnt branch out to harm others...as something like piety doesnt. Its a very harmless...and in some eyes...irresponsible way of life...but harmless nonetheless...

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Neil
28-Apr-2006, 07:47 AM
Thats different....usually the population was already low from some other means...

Like Island isolated...(species only exists on an island)
or hunted heavily...becomes endangered.... nurseries try to breed a population...but the population is so inbred that one disease is able to wipe them out because of the lack of genetic variation...

Some times a disease just wipes out a population to such a low level...that the animals have trouble running across a mate....so they die out due to lack of proximatity to others of their species......

We are a very social and extraordinarily intelligent animal...even if only 0.5% and less survived a virus outbreak we would figure out ways to find other humans (smoke signals and **** or just tech lying about)...

Yeah everything would collaspe...society as we know it wouldnt exist....it would be rebuilt though...just cause food aint in the fridge....and fuel aint in the car....doesnt mean humans cant survive....with all the humans dieing from diseases...and our society collasping....animals would be everywhere to eat...and all the products from our previous society would still be around...because a disease epidemic means theres still plenty of canned foods and emergancy rations around to be found since people dieing off so quickly...

You are of course completely right! However in my book most of the population being dead, and civilization crumbling, means "the end". At least "the end" for most people! :)

The only way "all humanity" would go would be some large scale global event, eg: a massive meteor strike or super large volcanic activity etc...

Adrenochrome
29-Apr-2006, 06:57 PM
Humans' immune systems are a bit stronger than birds.

Neil
29-Apr-2006, 07:01 PM
Humans' immune systems are a bit stronger than birds.

See my post above yours...

mista_mo
29-Apr-2006, 07:13 PM
if you do have a large urban popualtion, and a disease gets in it that is highly contagious, with a high mortality rate, thousands will die. Look at history...

The spanish flu killed 50 - 100 million people world wide in 1918 - 1919
Now, your telling me that a disease or virus couldn't devestate us? Admitidly, we have come a long way since that time...but it could happen, and don't rule it out as a possiblity.

And that isn't even from the virus itself. Infected commmunities ground to a halt, and many who survived the virus died from other complications.

i'm not saying this would wipe out all of us, but it could cripple humanity, and wipe out a huge portion of us. The only way I could see almost everyone die is if a meteor, or asteroid or something strikes the earth...that would be the most effective I'd imagine

Adrenochrome
29-Apr-2006, 07:34 PM
See my post above yours...
Ahhh, yes.....silly me. That's what I get for not reading through all the posts. LOL:D

Danny
29-Apr-2006, 07:35 PM
who cares? as long as i get an xbox 360 im good:lol:

Wooley
30-Apr-2006, 12:15 AM
This theory isn't an extinction of humanity event, but it is a fall of the US/global depression and power vacuum situation, and all it'll take is a few hundred pounds of explosives, a few dozen fanatic space monkeys, and some knowledge of the US electrical grid.

Bin Laden's bunch recruits a few dozen disaffected Americans, as they know the language, the customs, won't arouse suspicion, etc. Gives them a few hundred pounds of improvised or stolen explosives, tells them where to put them, namely, on the high tension line towers, and substaions that make up the US power grid. Drop enough, and the grid goes down. Do it at the same time, and the authorities won't know what's up before it's over. The damage is so severe it'll stay down too. Without power, moden civilization goes with it. No refrigeration, no electronic banking, no ATMs, no cell phones, no gas pumps, no water pumps, no sewage pumps or treatment.
When the power went out on the East Coast a few years back, some cities were hours away from running out of water.

What would an American city look like two weeks into a heat wave with no power? Or a winter deep freeze?

With the US economy tanking, since no one is going to work since there is no power to run their place of work, the world economy starts to tank along with us, as we are a huge consumer/supplier to the rest of the world bring us to global depression.

It'd be worse if the space monkeys could manage to pull it off overseas too.

rightwing401
30-Apr-2006, 02:56 AM
Me, I'd put my beat on civil war. Sure seems like there's a lot of tensions going around these days within the country. If they keep on rising, sooner or later the end results can't be good.

Ryan1
30-Apr-2006, 05:01 PM
FACT: The US and the World is already coming to an end. Terrorists? no Nuclear Bombs? no Natural Disasters? no. The world is slowing dying at the hands of one man,Ewe Boll and his movies.

MKULTRA1138
01-May-2006, 04:46 AM
to quote TOOL's song AENIMA

Some say a comet will fall from the sky
followed by meteor showers and tidal waves
followed by faultlines that cannot sit still
followed by millions of dumbfounded dip****s

some say the end is near
Some say we'll see armageddon soon
I certainly hope we will cuz
I sure could use a vacation from this

silly **** stupid ****

Danny
01-May-2006, 11:41 AM
i hope its in my lifetime, if you had to die wouldnt you want to see how the world end s first?, like the hillbilly in kingdom come:lol:

erisi236
02-May-2006, 06:51 PM
I think I'll quote some GWAR with this one "Quit your whining and start your dying." :p

Humans rule BTW

DjfunkmasterG
02-May-2006, 07:44 PM
The truth...

IRAN and the USA are going to NUKE each other, andit will hapeen in 2008. :D

Adrenochrome
02-May-2006, 07:55 PM
The truth...

IRAN and the USA are going to NUKE each other, andit will hapeen in 2008. :D
Nah. Ain't gonna happen. Too much money to be made otherwise. (on both sides)

DjfunkmasterG
02-May-2006, 08:10 PM
Don't spoil my nightmare man. :D

I wasn't alive during the last Nuclear bomb attack. I would like to be alive when the next one happens at least long enough to see everything melt... including my skull. :sneaky:

erisi236
03-May-2006, 02:13 PM
not to mention the fact that Iran has no nuke weapons at the moment and America has about 30,000, so nuke eachother is a bit of off the mark :)

Adrenochrome
03-May-2006, 05:10 PM
not to mention the fact that Iran has no nuke weapons at the moment and America has about 30,000, so nuke eachother is a bit of off the mark :)

If you ask me, both will amuse themselves to death..........

..........um, wait a second folks...........I'm just tuning in to one of my favorite radio stations......

".......Because of the obvious threat to untold numbers of citizens due to the crisis that is even now developing, this radio station will remain on the air day and night. This station and hundreds of other radio and TV stations throughout this part of the country are pooling their resources through an emergency network hook-up to keep you informed of all developments. At this hour, we repeat, these are the facts as we know them. There is an epidemic of mass murder being committed by a virtual army of unidentified assassins. The murders are taking place in villages and cities, in rural homes and suburbs with no apparent pattern nor reason for the slayings. It seems to be a sudden general explosion of mass homicide. We have some descriptions of the assassins. Eyewitnesses say they are ordinary-looking people. Some say they appear to be in a kind of trance. Others describe them as being misshapen monsters. At this point, there's no really authentic way for us to say who or what to look for and guard yourself against. Reaction of law enforcement officials is one of complete bewilderment at this hour. Police and sheriff's deputies and emergency ambulances are literally deluded with calls for help. The scene can be best described as mayhem. The mayors of Pittsburg, Philadelphia, and Miami, along with the governments of several eastern and midwestern states indicated that the National Guard may be mobilized at any moment, but that has not happened as yet. The main advice news reporters have been able to get from official sources is to tell private citizens to stay inside their homes behind locked doors. Do not venture outside for any reason until the nature of this crisis has been determined, and until we can advise what course of action to take. Keep listening to radio and TV for special instructions as this crisis develops further. Thousands of office and factory workers are being urged to stay at their places of employment, not to make any attempt to get to their homes. However, in spite of this urging and warning, streets and highways are packed with frantic people trying to reach their families or, apparently, to flee just anywhere. We repeat, the safest course of action at this time is simply to stay where you are. Ladies and gentlemen, we've just received word that the President has called a meeting of his Cabinet to deal with the sudden epidemic of murder that has seized the eastern third of this nation. The meeting is scheduled to convene within the hour. Members of the Presidential Cabinet will be joined by officials of the FBI and military advisors. White House spokesmen are saying there will be an official announcement immediately following that meeting. This is the latest dispatch just received in our news room. The latest word also - this is from nation press services in Washington, D.C. - tells us that the emergency Presidential conference which we just mentioned will include high-ranking scientists from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. So far, the best advice they are able to give the public is this quote from Chief T. K. Dunbar from Camden, North Carolina, who is quoted as saying, "Tell the people for God's sake to get off the streets! Tell them to go home and lock their windows and doors up tight! We don't know what kind of murder-happy characters we have here!" Chief Dunbar's words were worn out in grisly fashion just hours ago near the small, normally peaceful town of Willard, Pennsylvania, where the driver of a tanker truck was mobbed by a cluster of apparently would-be assassins oblivious to all concerns for their own safety and blindly intent on attacking the driver. The tanker trunk went out of control and plowed into the gas pumps at a well-known eatery and truck stop known as Beakman's. The truck and gas pumps caught on fire and exploded, apparently maiming and killing gas station and restaurant employees, together with a dozen or more patrons, motorists, and pedestrians. Several bodies were found mangled and mutilated. Many others appear to have been carried off by the attackers. Eyewitness accounts described the assassins as ordinary-looking people, misshapen monsters, people who look like they're in a trance, and creatures that look like people but behave like animals. Some tell of seeing victims that looked as if they had been torn apart. This whole ghastly story began developing two days ago, and from that point on, these terrible events kept on snowballing in a reign of terror that has not abated. Military personel and law enforcement agencies have been working hard in an attempt to gain some kind of control of this situation, but most of their efforts have been marginally futile up to this particular time......????????????

MinionZombie
03-May-2006, 09:38 PM
Yeh but I'd rather trust America with nukes than Iran. America knows that it's just for show, hell even Russia knows it. That's why the Cold War went on so long, stalemate - if you both don't fire you both stay alive. If you both fire you both lose, sh*t, even if one fired we all lose as a planet. Tragedy is tragedy.

EvilNed
03-May-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeh but I'd rather trust America with nukes than Iran. America knows that it's just for show, hell even Russia knows it. That's why the Cold War went on so long, stalemate - if you both don't fire you both stay alive. If you both fire you both lose, sh*t, even if one fired we all lose as a planet. Tragedy is tragedy.

While I can't say I fully disagree with your opinion, I must say that it's kind of ironic you mention that the US knows that nukes are just for show - They are the only ones who's ever used them!

Tri0xin
03-May-2006, 10:31 PM
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran will strike a deal with the new pro-Iranian shia government in Iraq, and they will step up oil production, only it won't be going to the United States. It will be going to China and Russia. Chavez in Venezuela will follow suit, and you'll see a fuel shortage worse than the embargo that practically brought the United States to its knees during the Carter administration.

Meanwhile, in the next twenty years, we'll have another twelve million undocumented workers in this country, mostly from Latin America, and they will work tirelessly to repatriate the American southwest for Mexico. La Raza wins and cushy white rich pricks in America will be forced out of power and the once-great USofA will disappear from the global arena forever. Good riddance.

I can't wait either. In a generation's time, english will be the forgotten language of America, and spanish will be commonplace. Better brush up on your espanol, p2501, you fat prick!:elol:

idsaluteyoubub
03-May-2006, 11:02 PM
While I can't say I fully disagree with your opinion, I must say that it's kind of ironic you mention that the US knows that nukes are just for show - They are the only ones who's ever used them!

? I am sure you are talking about using it ON someone...but most to all nuclear capable countries have used them for tests and the like...which is still dangerous and toxic and all that...

MinionZombie
04-May-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeh but that was once (or was it twice?) at the end of WW2 to finish off the East and put an end to a 6 year war, when nuclear energy and weapons were in their infancy and the human race had relatively little understanding of the full ramifications of their implementation.

EvilNed
04-May-2006, 04:33 PM
? I am sure you are talking about using it ON someone...but most to all nuclear capable countries have used them for tests and the like...which is still dangerous and toxic and all that...

Obviously.

And yes, I know that nuclear war was still in it's infamy back then, but I still don't trust the US with nukes anymore than I trust Iran. They are just as likely to use them.

Deadman_Deluxe
04-May-2006, 04:38 PM
Mark my words ... china WILL nuke EVERYONE in 2012 :skull:

mista_mo
04-May-2006, 04:50 PM
I wish Canada had nukes to be honest..the great thing about them is that just the fact that you have them is a buffer against possible nuclear attack. If the states got nuked by Iran, i'm pretty sure Iran would be officially known as the largest pane of galss on the planet.

imamazed
04-May-2006, 05:26 PM
We really shouldn't worry about any "endoftheworld" scenarios. We should try to stop them, obviously, but either way, we all die eventually. Just be thankful you tasetd life!

MinionZombie
04-May-2006, 06:32 PM
The thing I like about Canada is they're pretty chilled out, and their scenery rocks. Not that I've met many Canadians, but the ones I have met have all been really cool people. Hell, I've even got family living out there (long lost family though, who went over there at the beginning of the 20th century).

Out of the Americans I've met it's been a bit 50/50. Some have been cool as hell, others have been cocky twats who think Britain is "quaint" and that America runs the entire universe, lol.

Eyebiter
05-Oct-2006, 03:06 PM
Just an update: scientists have created a human / rabbit hybrid for disease research. Question is: what happens if one of these critters gets sick? Diseases able to break the species barrier?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369688-details/Scientists+to+create+'frankenbunny'+in+big+researc h+leap/article.do

http://img.dailymail.co.uk//i/pix/2006/09/rabbit210906_228x308.jpg

Scientists to create 'frankenbunny' in big research leap
Add your view

Rabbit research: Experiments could day one cure Alzheimer's
Scientists are planning to create a "frankenrabbit" by fusing together human cells with a rabbit egg.

It is hoped the "chimeric" embryos, which would be 99.9 per cent human and 0.1 per cent rabbit, could lead to breakthroughs in stem cell research which could one day cure diseases such as Alzheimer's or spinal cord injury.

The embryos will allow scientists to perfect stem cell creation techniques without using human eggs.

"If we learn how to do this with animal eggs, we should be able to have more success with human eggs, and I'd much rather know that if we were going to ask women to donate eggs that we were very likely to get stem cells as a result," said Chris Shaw, at the Institute of Psychiatry.

"We know this is a huge challenge after Dr Hwang in South Korea failed to get stem cells despite having 2,000 human eggs."

Teams in London, Edinburgh and Newcastle are to submit application to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority this month, requesting licences to create embryos that will be 99.9 per cent human and 0.1 per cent rabbit or cow.

The HFEA is encouraging the applications after legal advice. The embryos will be allowed to grow for only 14 days, at which point they will be cells smaller than a pinhead.

hseiken
05-Oct-2006, 08:08 PM

Its not fiction...but its like one of those prediction type books...using mathematical models to predict the progression and effect of technology....and the book is called "The Singularity is Near"....and its about how technology is growing expotentially....and that we are reaching the knee of this curve(where growth rapidly becomes nearly parrallel with the y axis)...
And so the book is about machine intelligence becoming indistinguishable from human intelligience...essentially the two become one....and when this happens the way existence is defined will totally be unearthed and changed.......

I thought you were spouting biblical rhetoric (i.e. armeggedon, single government, blah blah).

I think the downfall of the human race is definately going to be a huge war where everyone's shooting projectiles at each other, probably all due to misunderstanding. This South Korea nuclear test is just 'wtf?'. I'm not religious and never have been (personally, I think that you can 'see' whatever you want to see when someone else suggests it, just like 'pictures' in clouds...if you say you can see satan's face in a cloud then point to it, 99% of the time, you'll get the reaction "oh, wow...now I see it!").

Simply put, greed and intolorance and revenge is probably going to be the end of humans and even those like me who couldn't give two ****s about corrupt governments (of which are in control of how/when we fight) will end up in the cross fire and die, for no other reason than because of some politicians trying to flex all up in some other country's face.

If it IS a virus, you can be garanteed that the/a government had something to do with it. Isn't it poetic?

Terran
05-Oct-2006, 08:35 PM
I thought you were spouting biblical rhetoric (i.e. armeggedon, single government, blah blah).

I'm not religious and never have been (personally, I think that you can 'see' whatever you want to see when someone else suggests it, just like 'pictures' in clouds...if you say you can see satan's face in a cloud then point to it, 99% of the time, you'll get the reaction "oh, wow...now I see it!").

Hehe Yeah If I posted as often as I use to youd know that Im about as unreligious as one can be...I can hardly believe in myself...:D

I just see it this way... Other than a massive meteor impact or devastating world enveloping volcano I have trouble invisioning a total downfall of the human race...Everything else will leave breedable populations of humans alive...and records of nearly all of our technology will remain...

And since science is nearlly impossible to stop it seems probable that we will become more and more in sync with our machines...