PDA

View Full Version : "I Am Legend" - No! No! No! Nooo! Nooooooo! No!

Neil
27-Apr-2006, 11:59 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23128

Will Smith is likable and all, but his involvment with this project to me means teen-friendly-wise-cracking-flick rather than ominous and scary!

Kurt Russell! Not in "Snake" mode obviously, but in his "real person" persona like in "Breakdown".

Adrenochrome
27-Apr-2006, 12:05 PM
Well, this certainly is bad news!

p2501
27-Apr-2006, 01:09 PM

Will Smith is likable and all, but his involvment with this project to me means teen-friendly-wise-cracking-flick rather than ominous and scary!

Kurt Russell! Not in "Snake" mode obviously, but in his "real person" persona like in "Breakdown".

i like the idea of this movie. frankly, The Omega man was a fair adapation (for the time), and given the depth of the source material, i'm skeptical about anyone providing a decent modernized interpretation. so let see just how bad they can louse this up.

I want to see just an utter train wreck of a film, with Wil Smith tossing catch phrases left and right, a dog side kick named "matheson". lots of slow motion explosions. maybe a Humvee driving through houses, and of course an airstrike or three.

slickwilly13
27-Apr-2006, 01:09 PM
Is having Wild Wild West fastbacks.....:dead:

Tri0xin
27-Apr-2006, 01:14 PM

Will Smith as Robert Neville? :mad:

I always thought Gary Oldman would be perfect for the part.

They must be catering to teens for this one.

Danny
27-Apr-2006, 02:11 PM
forgive my squirelly ignorance but what the hell IS "i am legend"?, i thought it was one of those lame as fantasy films from the 80's like willow.:confused:

Tullaryx
27-Apr-2006, 02:57 PM
forgive my squirelly ignorance but what the hell IS "i am legend"?, i thought it was one of those lame as fantasy films from the 80's like willow.:confused:

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson is about a guy trying to survive day-by-day while the world around him has slowly, but surely become the populated by nocturnal, bloodsucking creatures that used to be human. All of this brouhaha was caused by an unknown plague that swept through the world.

Matheson's novel is pretty much the story that really had a heavy influence on Night of the Living Dead. You could say that I Am Legend is the very first zombie (GAR-style) story, but without the zombies.

MaximusIncredulous
27-Apr-2006, 03:05 PM
W. Smith is the kiss of death to anything he stars in. Indy Day, I Robot, WW West. His starring in films is not so much to appease teens as it's to appease idiots who like annoying, pain-in-the-ass leads in their movies.

Tullaryx
27-Apr-2006, 03:11 PM
This news really isn't too much of a surprise. In one of the other failed attempts to make this film, Will Smith was attached to star as Neville before the director bowed out and the project went into limbo. I think if they keep strictly to the script Smith would do well. But if the director and the screenwriter buckles down and allows Smith to improv then whatever tension and dread they're trying to make goes down the drain of hip-hoppery slang and witticism.

To me, this film will sink or swim depending on how they treat the outsiders trying to get to Neville. Will they make em more zombie-like or make em the vampires they really are.

EvilNed
27-Apr-2006, 04:07 PM
First there was the vandalism of the Evans City graveyard, and now this...

The end is nigh.

Neil
27-Apr-2006, 04:22 PM

You've never seen "The Omega Man"? It's based on "I Am Legend"...

wayzim
27-Apr-2006, 04:37 PM

You were probably thinking about "Legend. " a Ridley Scott (Alien) directed, Tom Cruise vehicle, where Darkness (played with gleeful evil by Tim Currey ) threatens a mythic land of elves, unicorns, and a hot princess (Mia Sara, Ferris Bueller's Day Off )

Wayne Z
"This ain't no midnight Horror show, or creature double feature, babe. "

Tullaryx
27-Apr-2006, 04:43 PM
You were probably thinking about "Legend. " a Ridley Scott (Alien) directed, Tom Cruise vehicle, where Darkness (played with gleeful evil by Tim Currey ) threatens a mythic land of elves, unicorns, and a hot princess (Mia Sara, Ferris Bueller's Day Off )

Wayne Z
"This ain't no midnight Horror show, or creature double feature, babe. "

Should add another hot to Mia Sara's description, or maybe preface hot with smoking. :)

Danny
28-Apr-2006, 09:36 AM
You've never seen "The Omega Man"? It's based on "I Am Legend"...

of course ive seen omega man, thats like someone never seeing logans run, its just not done.

axlish
28-Apr-2006, 01:10 PM
I think the best adaptation to date of I am Legend is The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price. It is much closer to the novel.

As for Will Smith, I got over that news long ago. If they decide to go hokey with the script, it won't be Will Smith's fault. Will is a damn fine actor and if they give it the proper treatment, he can pull it off.

Danny
13-May-2006, 01:45 PM
ive been looking for this, sounds good, but im only finding like three slightly peely copies on ebay, next stop ottakers!:D

AcesandEights
13-May-2006, 05:03 PM
As for Will Smith, I got over that news long ago. If they decide to go hokey with the script, it won't be Will Smith's fault. Will is a damn fine actor and if they give it the proper treatment, he can pull it off.

Yeah, I actually agree with this estimate. Will Smith could be trying to go in another direction this go 'round, and that may be why he chose this vehicle (*hope, *hope, *hope).

Hawkboy
13-May-2006, 08:48 PM
Will Smith can act given the right role (see "Six degrees of Seperation") so if the script can stay true the spirit of the book I think he would be fine.

Adrenochrome
13-May-2006, 09:29 PM
Will Smith is a gimmick.

EvilNed
13-May-2006, 10:00 PM
I can see it before me now. The first time Will Smith encounters the vampires. There'll be a close up of his face, and he'll deliver his trademark line:

"Aw, hell no!" then turn around and run away.

MinionZombie
13-May-2006, 10:58 PM
Crap, you're right, "aw hell no" IS his trademark line. It wouldn't be a Will Smith movie without the "smack talking black guy" routine, irrespective or period or content. I didn't see "Ali", did he manage to crowbar his line into even that flick? I swear he must watch reruns of Fresh Prince just for fun or something...

Although that was a legendary show ... STILL gets repeated over and over here in the UK.

Hawkboy
13-May-2006, 11:34 PM
I didn't see "Ali", did he manage to crowbar his line into even that flick?

No it's not said....he's very good in "ALI". The Kid can act givien the right script...again I urge you to Rent "Six Degrees of Seperation" fantastic film.

Geophyrd
15-May-2006, 12:47 PM
Jeez...such an over reaction. Will Smith would do a great job in the flick...and y'all will go to see it. And I will enjoy it and y'all will whine about it.

Such is life...

bassman
15-May-2006, 02:17 PM
Geo has a point. Most of you guys are over reacting. He's a good actor and could pull it off just fine. Sure, he's been in a few bad flicks.....but hasn't every actor?

He's had some good roles...
"Six Degrees of Seperation" was great.
"Ali" was great.
"Enemy of the State" was pretty good
"Men In Black" was funny(the first one)

Hell....I even liked "I, Robot"(04). It was alot better than another action flick that was released that same year:shifty: Although, I did expect more after being a big fan of Alex Proyas' "Dark City".

Adrenochrome
15-May-2006, 02:45 PM
....so if the script can stay true the spirit of the book I think he would be fine.
There hasn't been many films that "stay true" to the book. Ever.
And, these days, to "stay true" to the spirit of the book means "Make sure the characters' names don't change".

kortick
16-May-2006, 02:27 AM
i am leery about will smith involvement

but he has proven himself to be a good actor
when he wants to be

are there any fans of the legend of hell house out there?

Danny
16-May-2006, 02:09 PM
heres a fun game for all you guys and gals hooked on the drinky ,drinky:D /

drumroll please....

"drink along with will smith"

get some freinds and beers around and watch a load of will smith films, every time he says aw hell no or ''you have GOT to be kidding me" have a little drinky, first to go to hospital with alcohol posioning loses till theres one left.

also works for :

"drink along with carlton dancing":lol:

bassman
16-May-2006, 02:25 PM
heres a fun game for all you guys and gals hooked on the drinky ,drinky:D /

drumroll please....

"drink along with will smith"

get some freinds and beers around and watch a load of will smith films, every time he says aw hell no or ''you have GOT to be kidding me" have a little drinky, first to go to hospital with alcohol posioning loses till theres one left.

also works for :

"drink along with carlton dancing":lol:

He doesn't say that stuff THAT much...

You would barely be tipsy by the end of the game...

EvilNed
16-May-2006, 02:41 PM
He says "Aw, Hell no!" about once a flick. If you want to die from alcohol poisoning, why not play the Battlefield Earth drinking game? Pop the film into the DVD, and drink whenever any of these things occur:

Everytime someone says "leverage".
Everytime someone says "Man-animal".
Whenever the movie defies physics to an extreme degree. (Note: You may want to drink everytime they defy physics, extreme or not, but it's your funeral)
Everytime there's repeated slow-motion shots of something.

Danny
16-May-2006, 05:46 PM
i got the idea from bill baileys own drinking game "drink along with dalls" everytime they have a drink you do.:lol:

FleshMask
16-May-2006, 05:50 PM
Hollywood already raped my beloved classics...
-Island of doctor Moroe
-Invisible Man
-Time machine
-War of the Worlds

Now they seemed to heading for the rest of my other favs.

Hawkboy
16-May-2006, 06:04 PM
Hollywood already raped my beloved classics...
-Island of doctor Moroe
-Invisible Man
-Time machine
-War of the Worlds

Now they seemed to heading for the rest of my other favs.

Wow they really screwed up the Island of Doctor Moroe (sic) if they couldn't even get the freaking spelling right!! ;)

I have to disagree with your list though ....The film version of "Moreau" called "Island of lost Souls" is brilliant (Look for Bela Lugosi in make up!)... much better than the Michael York version of the film.

James Whale's "Invisible Man" is one of my all time faves and is a nice adaptaition of the book. Claude Rains is brilliant as Jack Griffin too!

The George Pal version of "The Time Machine" is pretty close to the book! Also see "Time after Time" for a nice little spin off!

War of the Worlds has never really been been done (At least in a mainstream release) in the victorian setting of the book, but both the Byron Haskin version and Spielberg version do nice updates. By the way the DVD of the Haskin's War of the Worlds has a very cool comentery track by Joe Dante!

Danny
16-May-2006, 06:58 PM
the time machine was good, both of em' as was the invisible man, the hollow man was god aweful.:barf:

EvilNed
16-May-2006, 07:08 PM
I find both The Time Machine films to be good. In some ways, the artistic liberties taken in the first film are worse than the ones taken in the second find.

In the book, the Eloi were ignorant and had little culture. They acted like children all the time, playing. The interpretation of the Eloi in the original film was atrocious. Instead of being too scared of rescuing Weena, they were just indifferent (which looked very silly). Everything they did, they did indifferently. It made no sense at all. At least in the remake, they made sense.

Also, the Morlocks hunting methods were more true to the book in the remake. In the original they were very silly.

I find the original to be a great adventure film. But so is the remake.

Danny
16-May-2006, 08:43 PM
same here man, the only time in history were the second film has better elements than the first.

MinionZombie
16-May-2006, 10:12 PM
Ahhhh, Fresh Prince, it was (and still is) legendary ... *ahem* it's not unusual ...

As for drinking games, we never got around to it, but at uni in Autumn semester 2004 I got A-Team season one on DVD and we were all into it. We were gonna do a drinking game for that when, for example:

*A car flipped into the air
*A fight broke out for no good reason
*A car/van does a standing start
*B.A. complains about flying / gets knocked out
*Murdock comes up with a crazy alter-ego
*They shoot and miss

And some other things - needless to say we'd have been wrecked, so we just laughed endless at Murdock going nuts over trashbags in a prison insane ward. Classic. :cool:

Danny
16-May-2006, 11:34 PM
ah man i actually watched the a team for the first time a while ago and it was so tacky, the mr.T shot a car during a chase, hit the tyre and it whent up in a ball of flame:lol:

god ,crackers anyone?

Hawkboy
17-May-2006, 03:46 AM
The best drinking game is still the original where all these bastardized versions of drink when "INSERT SOMETHING HERE" happens, I of course talk about....."Hi Bob".

kortick
17-May-2006, 02:06 PM
YES Hawkboy

HI BOB is the original drinking game

and being a huge newhart fan i used to love to play the game
you always won when you picked emliy or carol
but sometimes you had to go with howard or jerry depending on which episode it was

i knew someone here had to know the original version

Hawkboy
17-May-2006, 08:45 PM
No doubt there are different variatons....Well the way Hi Bob was played back when I was in College there were no winners but mostly losers and you didn't pick anyone. If they say BOB you have a drink if they say "HI BOB" you chug whats left of your drink and refill. No one ever got out alive!

SgtSteve
18-May-2006, 04:09 AM
We did it to Army of Darkness.

Every time Ash got hit you had to take a drink.

Never made through the whole movie. :barf: :barf: