PDA

View Full Version : I watched the Day remake last night

axlish
12-May-2008, 03:27 PM
In a nutshell, it is awful. It has the look and feel of a made for Scifi Channel movie. The movie takes itself too seriously, and presented as a serious film it fails miserably. The only thing that could have saved this film is a massive influx of corny humor, and even then that would have merely brought it up to the level of ROTLD 4 and 5. Major thumbs down on this one, don't even rent it.

Also, what the hell happened to Steve Miner? In the early 80's he seemed like a competent up and coming director. Now he has been relegated to shaky-camera techniques and non-cinematic camera angles. If I were Ving, Mena or even z-grade celebrity Nick Cannon, I would fire my agent over this one. Notice that none of them showed up for the "cast commentary".

SBEADER
12-May-2008, 06:20 PM
This is one big pile of steaming poop that will haunt there careers FOREVER.

capncnut
12-May-2008, 08:02 PM
The gore was okay, I thought. But this film overall is a f**king embarrassment.

Also, what the hell happened to Steve Miner? In the early 80's he seemed like a competent up and coming director.
I agree with you Axl but Miner has made some abominable turds before the Day remake.

Mike70
13-May-2008, 03:18 AM
It has the look and feel of a made for Scifi Channel movie.

Also, what the hell happened to Steve Miner? In the early 80's he seemed like a competent up and coming director.

ugh. sorry you subjected your eyes to this one eric.

the fact that this movie had an $18 million budget is just mind boggling when you think about it. where did that cash go? heroin? strippers? parties with ukrainian hookers??

steve miner did do some good films in the early 80s. but consigned himself to crap like the wonder years, dawson's creek and chicago hope a long, long time ago.

AnxietyDilemma
13-May-2008, 06:08 AM
When the "zombie" scaled the ceiling in the hospital, it was too much to take.

I think they spent at least half of that $18 million in post production just by speeding up the movement of zombies about 10 times. I got got motion sickness during some of the scenes and thought I was going to have a seizure during some of those jump shots and quick ADD laden editing tactics. It was like staring into a strobe light. I was trying to decide whether there was an actual story buried in there to piece together, but instead I just took an Advil and vowed to never watch it again.

Neil
13-May-2008, 09:34 AM
Is it even worth watching as a laughable b-movie?

capncnut
13-May-2008, 03:36 PM
Nope. Although the ceiling crawler is HILARIOUS!

axlish
13-May-2008, 03:47 PM
I imagine that a great deal of the money went towards Rhames, Suvari, Cannon and Miner. I'd say they all got at least a million each. Other wastes of money include constructing an entire upside down hospital set in order to achieve a laughable ceiling crawler effect.

The fact that there are people out there saying "take away the name Day of the Dead and it is actually a pretty good movie" is mind boggling. It is awful by any name.

Mike70
13-May-2008, 04:14 PM
The fact that there are people out there saying "take away the name Day of the Dead and it is actually a pretty good movie" is mind boggling. It is awful by any name.

yes much like a rose, a turd by any other name is still a turd.

ghey08 is just shoddily produced, poorly thought out crap.

and as for the movement of the zombies, capn will get this one:

spz8_rpE0e0

Skippy911sc
13-May-2008, 04:54 PM
I must say it was ok...I would agree it is more of a made for tv movie than anything theatrical. I rented started watching and was interrupted...started to watch again and was interrupted...then just returned it and felt I did not miss much of anything. So I never finished the movie, however it was ok to a point. The Z crawling up the alls didn't bother me as much as the story problems and the overall acting or lack there-of. I was disappointed being someone who actually liked dawn 04. I will wait and see how diary is when it is released, but I think movie making has taking a HUGE crap as of Late.

Mutineer
13-May-2008, 05:24 PM

I say YES

When comparing it to the ****fest of House, Retrun 4 and 5 and Contagium

It is a B Movie. Worthy of a Saturday rental drinking some wine.

We don't often get Zombie flicks worth a damn, and this one isn't. But at the higher end of the SCI FI CHANNEL spectrum.

jim102016
19-May-2008, 03:19 PM
Sounds like I'd waste two hours of my life by watching this pile of ****.

Steve Miner....that guy should give up his day job. He'd be better off selling produce. $18 million, what a waste.

They should have given that money to John Carpenter, and told him to make it like of one his early 80s movies. Maybe given him a free hand in altering the script. ANYTHING would be better than what we have today.

C5NOTLD
19-May-2008, 08:45 PM
. Major thumbs down on this one, don't even rent it.

I saw the trailer and that was enough for me. :hurl:

DubiousComforts
20-May-2008, 12:47 AM
I only saw a couple of stills and the dvd box art, and figured that I should quit while I was way behind.

AnxietyDilemma
20-May-2008, 03:51 AM
How long until someone boldly remakes Land Of The Dead, I mean the CGI effects are several years old already, I think it may need some updating. Cut down on some of the extensive character development and throw in some more action.:D

DubiousComforts
20-May-2008, 04:09 AM
How long until someone boldly remakes Land Of The Dead,
I don't know... does Richard Rubinstein own that property? :D

Tied2thetracks
22-May-2008, 08:00 PM
It wasn't a good movie by any means but I found it watchable.

jim102016
24-May-2008, 04:34 PM
I saw this movie in Walmart last night! Couldn't even bring myself to pick it up!

Dead Hoosier
25-May-2008, 06:44 PM
If anyone is going to remake Land...it should be Romero. Maybe he could get it right with a second try. If they just re-relseased it by cutting out every shot of Big Daddy, it would already be better.

jim102016
25-May-2008, 10:34 PM
If anyone is going to remake Land...it should be Romero. Maybe he could get it right with a second try. If they just re-relseased it by cutting out every shot of Big Daddy, it would already be better.

Put Big Daddy in the sequel. Best part of the movie would be a bullet hitting him in the head after he made one of those god-awful noises. Preferably within the first fifteen minutes of the movie

ZombieGrrL
26-May-2008, 10:40 AM
I'd watch it again. but it's not high on my "zombie appreciation" list.

I would rate DOTD '08 just under HOTD2 which, believe it or not, I think I enjoyed more than this.

captain rhodes
26-May-2008, 04:04 PM
I had high hopes when i 1st heard of a remake of this movie but all that disappeared when i finally seen it,only the title and character names remain from the original,i wish they had remade george's original script,it would have worked much better and gave fans the chance to see the movie george always wanted,i know some of the stuff spilled over to land but its still not the same,this remake is watchable but its pretty cheap and the sfx dont hold up to the originals,its not bad if uve nothin else 2 watch but deffo not one of the better zombie movies around just now.

Redman6565
26-May-2008, 07:54 PM
I saw this movie in Walmart last night! Couldn't even bring myself to pick it up!

I saw it at Walmart to and passed.

I'd have liked to see Zack Snyder remake Day. That was my hope early on then we got what we got. I watched Day 2 and Zombi3 and hated myself for watching them. I'm not gonna do it with this remake. I'll enjoy my blood test next Saturday more.