PDA

View Full Version : Judge Rules: Internet surfing at work not an offense for dismissal.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Apr-2006, 03:20 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/3814753.html

Thanks to LouCipherr for this.

Danny
29-Apr-2006, 11:52 AM
my office bound buddy talks to me on msn all the time, i wouldnt know, now im actually looking for a job i cant find owt that fits around my monday to wednesday college shedule.

HLS
29-Apr-2006, 03:17 PM
At my job i have unlimited msn messenger and only one hour of internet surfing a day in 5 minute blocks, then your loccked out. If these companies do not want you abuseing the internet there are ways they can limit your access like at my company.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Apr-2006, 03:21 PM
At my job i have unlimited msn messenger and only one hour of internet surfing a day in 5 minute blocks, then your loccked out. If these companies do not want you abuseing the internet there are ways they can limit your access like at my company.

or remove it completely!

Adrenochrome
29-Apr-2006, 03:21 PM
The workplace is not a playground. Save Internet time for home.

glsjaw
29-Apr-2006, 04:07 PM
where i work you actually sign a paper when hired that states if caught surfing the web it is means for termination

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 12:47 PM
Would they fire you for reading a newspaper? or calling home for something personal?

If they don't for that... according to this ruling which does set a precedence, you can surf and not lose your job. Documented or not, the courts don't find this to be an offense for dismissal.

Adrenochrome
01-May-2006, 04:54 PM
Would they fire you for reading a newspaper? or calling home for something personal?

If they don't for that... according to this ruling which does set a precedence, you can surf and not lose your job. Documented or not, the courts don't find this to be an offense for dismissal.
If you can't seperate your work life from your internet life, fire the f*cker!
I know someone that was fired for too much "internet time" - I wont mention names; this person had a pretty good thing going, BUT, she couldn't stay offline during work hours (and is heading in the same direction). She is addicted to internet gossip and internet BBW dating sites. There are way too many cubicle daters that slow down the work community.

general tbag
21-Aug-2006, 07:41 AM
She is addicted to internet gossip and internet BBW dating sites.

daaaaaammmmmmm:lol: :lol: :lol:

yea it is unproductive.

i worked at a few places where you also signed a internet abuse policy. the
one company i worked for used to use that to fire people who werent exactly fitting in and or lazy bastards.

also part of the porblem isnt about surfing as it about security most of the time.