the cheapest dial up is like $10 a month
i am guessing that most people who use the internet a lot
would pay the extra money to get the higher speed hookup

so i am wondering
how many people are on dial up and why?

DjfunkmasterG
28-Apr-2006, 07:33 PM
I would assume, cost versus use.

High Speed Internet users are downloaders and gamers. Which I am. Plus how many people live in rural areas or newer developments where highspeed isn't available yet?

When I lived in Allentown, PA in spring 2002 I couldn't get HighSpeed Internet. I had to wait until dsl became available in my part of town which was Aug 2002. Once i moved to Baltimore, MD... I had nothing but HighSpeed Internet and I don't look back. My best guess is location for most people, and cost.

Cheap HighSpeed Internet isn't everywhere, and most people don't want to shell out $45-$60 a month for highspeed internet.

I am willing to bet most HPotD members are dial-up. Unless at work, if they are at work and have access it is probably T1 or T3, but at home.. Dial Up.

Monrozombi
28-Apr-2006, 08:50 PM
When I lived in Harrisburg after graduating college in '03, I got comcast hispeed and that was fast. I moved to Allentown in June 05 and got RCN hispeed. The only people I know with dial up are those where hi speed isn't yet available. I even have it bundled with my tv, and phone. So for 100 bucks i get the package deal, most places now put internet together with other options and its a good deal in my opinion

MinionZombie
28-Apr-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm on broadband, we've been on it for over a year now - onto a new scheme which lets you download an unlimited amount of data (great for me, my folks don't download ... but occasionally they benefit from it).

At Uni we had a REALLY fast connection in halls, you literally could download at 1 to 2 megabytes a second when going your fastest, it was freakin' brilliant. Since that even 100k downloads just don't cut my muster, lol.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Apr-2006, 10:15 PM
At Uni we had a REALLY fast connection in halls, you literally could download at 1 to 2 megabytes a second when going your fastest, it was freakin' brilliant. Since that even 100k downloads just don't cut my muster, lol.

Preach it brother! 100K Downloads are like the days of the 300 bps modem. I get ****ed at even 250Kbps Downloads. 400+ is good, but lately I am seeing a slew of 700 and above. Which is nice.

LoSTBoY
28-Apr-2006, 11:41 PM
Im on wanadoo for 17.99 a month.

It's meant to be a 2GB limit but they have no way of keeping tabs so I use as much as I want. :)

By the way, you haven't seen me, right! :shifty:

DeadJonas190
29-Apr-2006, 03:19 AM
I am on a high speed connection, but 2 of my aunts and my grandma use dial up because they aren't online that much. Other than those 3, everybody else I know either have DSL or a Cable modem.

HLS
29-Apr-2006, 04:39 AM
I have yahoo DSL pro. It has faster dowenloads and great for video but other than that i think it is too expensive. I have it at 17$ for one year. After that i may go back to dial up.

Danny
29-Apr-2006, 07:30 AM
im on aol silver, cant get gold in my area yet.:mad:

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2006, 09:03 AM
2gig? Damn that's nothing. Although, we were previously on BT - and they were REALLY stingy - 1 measily gig. I kept going over so I kept having to pay for it. Then we worked out a deal and I had 6 gigs a month, which allowed me to get some stuff, but it meant a couple more quid a month. Now we're on Tiscali, there's the fair usage wank (no downloaded between 6pm and 11pm) but I can download as much as I like. Needless to say I've been on a roll since February.

general tbag
22-Aug-2006, 11:22 AM
ah dial up .... how i hate you.

yea i am on dial up and coming from a nice fat 8mbps conneciton really sucks, i find high speed in the usa so dam expensive. if there no competition on the area they really milk you .

i wont lie im one of those evil bastards that steals wifi connections in the city to. in a smaller town it hard to find a nice wifi signal that for sure.

zombiegirl
22-Aug-2006, 01:52 PM
Yahoo dsl is what I have.
It's expensive here if you don't enter a contract. They bill you out at $60.00 a month. Under contract I get it for $25.
They have time warner here also but in order to get it cheap you have to buy cable. Right now I am under contract with dish. Once that contract is up I am canceling sbc, yahoo, and dish. I'll get time warner cable, high speed, and vonage. It will save me a ton.

Debbieangel
22-Aug-2006, 04:18 PM
We have broadband powerlink in a bundle with tv and phone. I couldnt go back to dialup!! Dial up sucks!