PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices, Then & now!

DjfunkmasterG
28-Apr-2006, 11:41 PM
I am sitting here watching Vacation (1983) and after they find out the park is closed Clark drives to get the gun and parks in a gas station. The sign on the gas station in California states Regular gas a $1.219 a gallon. Which when you count inflation is about what we are paying now.

What bothers me is that in the mid 80's gas prices went down real cheap. $.80-$.90 a gallon. Think of how hard $1.21 a gallon back in 1983 was on people, or the gas wars of the late 70's.

I guess in the grand scheme $2.25 a gallon ain't bad, but this $3.45 a gallon crap is for the birds.

EvilNed
28-Apr-2006, 11:59 PM
Wow, you people who have to play almost 4 dollars for your gallon of gas? That's so... CHEAP! We pay almost double that, damnit.

MikePizzoff
29-Apr-2006, 12:17 AM
In Jersey, all through the 90's, gas prices were around $0.80-$0.90. I think they were even about $1.15 up until late 2001.

DeadJonas190
29-Apr-2006, 03:12 AM
Up until about 6 years ago, gas rarely went above $1.09 here in Michigan. The price usually was from $0.85-$0.95 a gallon, but it did occasionally rise up .20-.30 cents and then dropped back down. Now it is an average of $2.79 in my area and the local news has had reports of it going over $3 in some communities.

It is insane how Bush suddenly starts talking about "alternative energy sources" as his Oil buddies post record breaking profits in the billions every single quarter, when if he was really concerned about it he should have stopped hampering scienctific research and actually put some money into researching alternative energies years ago... but then his friends and family wouldn't have been able to make all the money they are making now.

zombie04
29-Apr-2006, 03:25 AM
well, you can't really blame Bush for the unusually high prices. Sure, the oil companies are getting record profits, but the state governments are still increasing taxes on gas. So the way I see it, there'e enough blame for everybody. I think in North Carolina the state gets about 45 cents per gallon, and that's about the middle of the road, with California getting over 60 cents per gallon.

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2006, 03:54 AM
Adjusted for inflation/value of the dollar and taking into account cost of living, gas was more expensive throughout most of the 80s.

Deadman_Deluxe
29-Apr-2006, 05:46 AM
The thing i find most amusing is that even with the recent spate of never ending oil related news headlines, war over oil, peak oil, oil resources running low, oil prices at an ALL TIME HIGH etc etc ... it that oil is STILL cheaper per litre than coca cola or whatever brand of queerjuice it is you prefer :lol:

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2006, 09:11 AM
Here in the UK we're crossing the ONE POUND A LITRE mark. If only we had the cost of fuel you guys had. Our fuel is more expensive, on a daily basis, than what you guys have during a "crisis". Not being a dick, but you guys should try fuelling up over here in those damned tanks you all have. :D

HLS
29-Apr-2006, 02:15 PM
When I owned my first car back in 1993 I lived in Lawrence, KS and gas was 83 cents/gallon. The most I ever paid for gas was $3.30/gallon last year:eek: :mad: :eek:

erisi236
29-Apr-2006, 02:40 PM
The thing i find most amusing is that even with the recent spate of never ending oil related news headlines, war over oil, peak oil, oil resources running low, oil prices at an ALL TIME HIGH etc etc ... it that oil is STILL cheaper per litre than coca cola or whatever brand of queerjuice it is you prefer :lol:

I always find that kindda funny, bottled water is more expensive then fuel, I don't see that as a news headline every damn day! :rolleyes:

Danny
29-Apr-2006, 05:20 PM
coca cola or whatever brand of queerjuice it is you prefer :lol:

that is the most retarded thing ive heard in a good few days, brilliant!

I always find that kindda funny, bottled water is more expensive then fuel, I don't see that as a news headline every damn day! :rolleyes:

yeah like that evian ****, that has all these connotations about the alps and all that in the adds but comes from a tank in texas, damn yuppies are funking retarded,lol.

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2006, 05:30 PM
Here in the UK we're crossing the ONE POUND A LITRE mark. If only we had the cost of fuel you guys had. Our fuel is more expensive, on a daily basis, than what you guys have during a "crisis". Not being a dick, but you guys should try fuelling up over here in those damned tanks you all have. :D

Yup, if it wasn't for the fact that our lifestyles, work habits (commuting etc.) and commercial aspects of business were so tied to the gas prices we were used to it wouldn't be a problem.

But all the same, it's a problem.

Neil
29-Apr-2006, 06:58 PM

I think it should be at least a £1 a litre, if not more, EVERYWHERE! We're burning up a resource like there's end to it... In 30yrs we'll be cursing ourselves that were were not more careful.

Can I point out, although cars and boats can run on other fuels. At the moment there is no alternative for planes. They can only run on aviation fuel.

Imagine in 30-40 years where possibly plane travel is a thing of the past...

I would like to see fuel prices raised world wide to the public, and for that money to actually be invested in alternative fuels and transport. Let's see the americans paying $10 a gallon, and suddenly see how econimical their engines can suddenly get.

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2006, 07:02 PM
I like your last comment there Neil ... it's a shame how the American government needs a huge boot up the bumhole to shift on something, because they (and many other nations too) are so arrogant that they think what's happening now will keep going. They'd probably be more willing to open their minds if it wasn't for all the tree-hugging-freaks called "Rain" or "Starshine" who smell of hemp running around thinking the world can suddenly do a 180 and turn into a fairytale land.

There's dicks, pussies and assholes ...

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 12:39 PM
I like your last comment there Neil ... it's a shame how the American government needs a huge boot up the bumhole to shift on something, because they (and many other nations too) are so arrogant that they think what's happening now will keep going. They'd probably be more willing to open their minds if it wasn't for all the tree-hugging-freaks called "Rain" or "Starshine" who smell of hemp running around thinking the world can suddenly do a 180 and turn into a fairytale land.

There's dicks, pussies and assholes ...

Hogwash!

Drill in the Alaskan Wildlife... What do I care! I am just p*ssed these gas companies post profits of 9 billion a 1/4 and we pay $3.30 a gallon at the pump. It is bull and you all know it. To make a comment about our government needing a huge boot up the bumble is arrogant and uncalled for. What about your government wanting to charge a per mileage tax?

Does anyone read the news? GM & FORD are beginning to offer Ethanol Cars and truck as early as 2007. In Maryland we are building some Ethanol filling stations within the next 12 months. We are on the right track. Don't ever comment about America when your own country taxes you to death, but you stand by and act so innocent. England and the UK are no better.

That was the biggest crock of the pot calling the kettle black.

I may hate my president but I love my country. Take a good look at your policies and future before commenting on ours.

Making a statement like Americans

EvilNed
01-May-2006, 01:27 PM
But 3.30 dollars a gallon is still DAMN CHEAP. I don't see why you're even complaining?

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 01:32 PM
Cheap?

What fuc-king fantasy island are you living on?

If I only had to buy gas I wouldn't care...

Rent $1,200
Car Payment With Insurance $600
Electric Bill $60
Phone $30
Cable TV and Internet $120
Monthly Food Bill $300-$350 a month
Misc Bills $100

If I didn't have rent and everything else I wouldn't give a damn. But when you only take home $3400 a month and are shelling out $2400 a month. It frigging hurts.

No one ever takes in to account all the other bills that add up. Out of my $1,000 a month left I have to shell out $250 in Gas... Screw that!

EvilNed
01-May-2006, 01:54 PM
What fuc-king fantasy island are you living on?

It's called Earth. Tellus. This 'ere planet, old boy! 3.30 US Dollars per gallon is walking on sunshine for the rest of us! Yet, we manage. Jesus, what I wouldn't give to have to pay 3.30 dollars per gallon for my gas, but instead I have to pay 6.00 US dollars if not more!

You've got a great deal, so stop complaining about it. Rather, let the europeans forth. We have a right to complain! :D

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 02:20 PM
You guys make a better living wage then we do in the US. So quit your bitching.

How would you like to make Minimum Wage, like most of the Immigrants do, or school kids do and have to shell out $3.30 a gallon. Plus YOUR gas is more costly because of the insane amount of taxes YOUR government puts on YOUR gas.

I make over $50,000 a year and I still can't make the almighty dollar stretch. So before you start bitching about $6.00 make sure you count all the other stuff us Americans have to shell out for besides our gas. I feel your pain... but don't down play our gas prices because you're paying more. Contact your elected officials and start bitching.

If you sit and say nothing you will continue to be gouged at the pump. You cry cry cry about what you pay, but I bet not once did you pick up the phone to complain to your elected officials about it.

tju1973
01-May-2006, 03:52 PM
Wow, you people who have to play almost 4 dollars for your gallon of gas? That's so... CHEAP! We pay almost double that, damnit.

Who cares? We are a society that is based almost totally on the ability to travel cheaply-- when and where we want to.

We start wars for gas and oil.....

We kept the Soviets out of western Europe...

We won WWII...

We have walked on the moon....

Elvis the King is from the US...

GIVE ME CEAP FN GASOLINE--- RIGHT FN NOW!!!!

:)

MinionZombie
01-May-2006, 05:43 PM
Surely by now you know me well enough to know I despise the Labour government that has been systematically f*cking Britain in the ass for 9 years. I wasn't getting into the deep workings of corporate business, I was commenting on how annoying us Brits find it when Americans in general moan about fuel prices that are lower than what we get on a good day.

I did say many other nations are the same way - which includes Britain.

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 05:46 PM
Like I told someone else, you guys make a higher living wage than we do.

MinionZombie
01-May-2006, 05:54 PM
Which is worthless because we're taxed to death by Labour. Besides, Britain is far smaller than America ... kinda hard to compare I feel. Everything is far too expensive here, £20 for a DVD, £15 for a CD, £1 a litre for fuel, property prices are through the roof - there's people over 30 who at best live in rented, at worst they're still living with their parents as they can't get on the property ladder. Inheritence tax is 40% after £285,000 (ish) - a four bedroom family home costs at least that, often more.

The British cost of living/economy/way of life is destroyed ... thank Bliar-Bliar-Pants-On-Fire and Darth Brown for that ... their underlings have done their fair share too.

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 05:59 PM
Which is worthless because we're taxed to death by Labour. Besides, Britain is far smaller than America ... kinda hard to compare I feel.
The British cost of living/economy/way of life is destroyed ... thank Bliar-Bliar-Pants-On-Fire and Darth Brown for that ... their underlings have done their fair share too.

Everything is far too expensive here:

£20 for a DVD... $19.99 in the USA
£15 for a CD Anywhere from $13.99 to $21.99 in the USA
£1 a litre for fuel. 3.97 = 1 gallon correct? For you're paying 4 pounds per gallon
Property prices are through the roof - there's people over 30 who at best live in rented, at worst they're still living with their parents as they can't get on the property ladder. Inheritence tax is 40% after £285,000 (ish) - a four bedroom family home costs at least that, often more.

A 2 bedroom Condo (1 floor apartment) in my area is $250,000.00
A 2 bedroom Townhouse with no yard or garage is $300,000
A 2 bedroom house Single family 1/2 acre of land = $400,000

You act like you're more affected by tax and cost of living. You're not! So quit your bitching. :D

Danny
01-May-2006, 06:01 PM
totally true, everything in britain is WAY more expesive than america, thats why importings so successful.
most shops sold advent children for £20-£25 ,well that said i got it at asda for £10 -but lets say asda doesnt exist very few cds are worth the price, ehres an example.

two HIM albums

dark light =£12.99 ,10 songs
and love said no =£10 ,21 songs

and one season of scrubs costs £25 in whsmiths wereas a collection of 10 video nastys is only £10.

and dont get me started on the global rip-off that is HMV, 20 for anime just because its in the world cinema section?!?!?!, thats bollocks when all the music zone stores sell the same for £9.99.

phew.

rant done.

.......y'know i reading my post and the last, i really am turning into minion zombies sidekick,lol.

but what do you call a minions, minions?

now thats a pencil scratcher.:lol:

EvilNed
01-May-2006, 06:04 PM

Pure bull****. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, you think the US is the only place where money runs dry and where nobody has a job? Your entire argument is based on one big false generalization!

School kids shouldn't be driving, period. Students should get a job, and if not, learn to live without the car (like we do here). Otherwise, cut down on the car in general instead of upping the whining. You've got nothing to complain about, seeing as the rest of the world is alot worse off when it comes to this issue.

Danny
01-May-2006, 06:09 PM
hmmm... hes got a good point.

tju1973
01-May-2006, 06:46 PM
Pure bull****. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, you think the US is the only place where money runs dry and where nobody has a job? Your entire argument is based on one big false generalization!

School kids shouldn't be driving, period. Students should get a job, and if not, learn to live without the car (like we do here). Otherwise, cut down on the car in general instead of upping the whining. You've got nothing to complain about, seeing as the rest of the world is alot worse off when it comes to this issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------

we got the bomb...and we've used it.. TWICE.

Give us cheap gas--
I work like a slave in august-- 60-70 hours a week for about $60k a year before taxes.

After my house payment, auto payment, fn insurance-car and health, child support, daycare,other bills bills, medical bills, prescriptions, and the whatnot, it now costs me about $70 to fill up my tank-- I sometimes have to fill up twice a week. Public transportation is crap here.... If we had a decent train system or buses, I would use them, but we don't.

My money is more than a lot make, but it still runs dry, real quick. I haven't had the money for any vacation in several years-- burn out leads to less money in all senses...
My wife even travels to India several times a year on business and to get medicine...

When the petroleum companies make record PROFITS, there is ZERO reason to pay $3+ per gallon.... It aint fn right!

:mad:

Neil
01-May-2006, 06:48 PM
Hogwash!

Drill in the Alaskan Wildlife... What do I care! I am just p*ssed these gas companies post profits of 9 billion a 1/4 and we pay $3.30 a gallon at the pump. It is bull and you all know it. To make a comment about our government needing a huge boot up the bumble is arrogant and uncalled for. What about your government wanting to charge a per mileage tax?

Does anyone read the news? GM & FORD are beginning to offer Ethanol Cars and truck as early as 2007. In Maryland we are building some Ethanol filling stations within the next 12 months. We are on the right track. Don't ever comment about America when your own country taxes you to death, but you stand by and act so innocent. England and the UK are no better.

That was the biggest crock of the pot calling the kettle black.

I may hate my president but I love my country. Take a good look at your policies and future before commenting on ours.

Making a statement like Americans

I think the issue is "you" complain about the price of your "gas" (it's a liquid for Gods sake :) ) when infact it's incredibly cheap (compared to many other places), and ontop of this still produce some of the innefficient vehicles around...

It will be interesting to see how your "ethanol" alternative works out, especially as - if I recall correctly - some of the plants producing it in the US pump out considerable amounts of co2 therefore questioning any gains... Anyway, fingers crossed... Richard Branson has thrown a lot of money in the direction of this alternative, so I suspect it can work then!

EvilNed
01-May-2006, 07:32 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------

we got the bomb...and we've used it.. TWICE.

Get a cheaper car or start walking more. Problem solved!

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 09:22 PM
I think the issue is "you" complain about the price of your "gas" (it's a liquid for Gods sake :) ) when infact it's incredibly cheap (compared to many other places), and ontop of this still produce some of the innefficient vehicles around...

We are a speed and size happy society. I would rather be in my 4,000lb tank than a 1500lb kumquat known as a mini. All BS aside... Quit whining about our whining... it makes you sound more pathetic. :D

MinionZombie
01-May-2006, 09:36 PM
£20 for a DVD = $36.4
£15 for a CD = $27.3

Yeh, I wish we were paying 2 quid for a gallon of fuel.

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 09:44 PM
£20 for a DVD = $36.4
£15 for a CD = $27.3

Yeh, I wish we were paying 2 quid for a gallon of fuel.

Well, then move to America! :D

MinionZombie
01-May-2006, 09:55 PM
Do you have any idea how much that would cost?! :D

I don't think I could survive all the adverts and infomercials and bizarrely perfect teeth :p ... it's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers or something...

Mind you, do American chicks dig British accents?

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 09:57 PM
Do you have any idea how much that would cost?! :D

I don't think I could survive all the adverts and infomercials and bizarrely perfect teeth :p ... it's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers or something...

American chickas dig money and big dicks... if you got one or both your in like Flynn. The accent is just a Bonus.

You've been watching Love Actually to much haven't you? :p

EvilNed
01-May-2006, 09:58 PM
Of course they do, didn't you see Love Actually?

EDIT: Alright both me and DJ spotted the Love Actually reference... That's creepy!

DjfunkmasterG
01-May-2006, 10:01 PM
Of course they do, didn't you see Love Actually?

EDIT: Alright both me and DJ spotted the Love Actually reference... That's creepy!

Bill Nighy was the reason I watched Love Actually. His ex-druggie pop star character was the funniest part of that film.

My fave line has to be

"Kids, Don't buy drugs. Become a popstar... they will give you them for free."

EvilNed
01-May-2006, 10:03 PM
Bill Nighy is the best. I loved that deleted scene from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where he suddenly turns loco and tries to kidnap Arthur, but fails and is left behind, screaming out that he'll "Get you, if it's the last thing I'll do!" or something like that.

So eeh... Funny, anyway. And Hugh Grant is a guilty pleasure of mine too, the scene where he was dancing and was caught by the maid was just priceless.

MinionZombie
01-May-2006, 10:14 PM
I only watched it once and that was so I could state at Keira Knightly the entire time :p

Publius
02-May-2006, 10:28 AM
After my house payment, auto payment, fn insurance-car and health, child support, daycare,other bills bills, medical bills, prescriptions, and the whatnot, it now costs me about $70 to fill up my tank-- I sometimes have to fill up twice a week.

Wow. Either you rack up a hell of a lot of miles each week, or you drive something with terrible gas mileage.

When the petroleum companies make record PROFITS, there is ZERO reason to pay $3+ per gallon.... It aint fn right!

How much do you really think gas would cost if the oil companies made ZERO profits? What do you think a reasonable amount of profit per gallon of gas would be?

It will be interesting to see how your "ethanol" alternative works out, especially as - if I recall correctly - some of the plants producing it in the US pump out considerable amounts of co2 therefore questioning any gains.

From the stats I've seen, for ethanol to replace gasoline we'd pretty much all have to become vegetarians on a minimal subsistence diet, because the stuff requires so much land to produce. And of course once the Chinese and the Indians all start driving cars we'd have to stop eating altogether. :)

DjfunkmasterG
02-May-2006, 10:47 AM
I have no issue with them making a profit, but $8 billion for a quarter, WTF?

Some companies don't make that all year, or even in 5 years. Remember that $8 billion was pure profit, not sales, but profit. So after all expenses; salaries, research and development, etc. They are sitting like fat hogs.

$2 billion in profit a fiscal quarter is suffice that is $8 billion a year. You cut their profit down to that much we would probably be paying $2.30 a gallon for gas. IMHO anything over $1.75 a gallon is a rip off.

Publius
02-May-2006, 11:09 AM
I have no issue with them making a profit, but $8 billion for a quarter, WTF?

Some companies don't make that all year, or even in 5 years. Remember that $8 billion was pure profit, not sales, but profit. So after all expenses; salaries, research and development, etc. They are sitting like fat hogs.

Do you understand that their profits are so high because their revenues (total volume of business they do) are so high? Very few companies sell nearly as much product as the oil companies do. So of *course* the oil companies will have higher revenues, and therefore higher profits. A more relevant figure than the absolute amount of profits is the profit *margin*. That is, what percentage of total revenues becomes profit? For the oil industry, it's about 8% recently, and about 6% averaged over several years. That's not objectively exorbitant. A lot of industries have higher profit margins than oil.

$2 billion in profit a fiscal quarter is suffice that is $8 billion a year. You cut their profit down to that much we would probably be paying $2.30 a gallon for gas.

Wrong. You propose cutting oil company profits by 75%. Even ignoring the economic effects on gas supply of slashing the profit incentive for producing gas, that would lower the price to about $2.85 at best (assuming a $3.00 average now). You really want to see lower gas prices? First, cut gas *taxes*. The government keeps a far larger share from each gallon than the oil companies do. Second, get the government to allow construction of more refineries.

IMHO anything over $1.75 a gallon is a rip off

Then you live in a fantasy world. As has already been mentioned on this thread, gasoline prices are actually *not* at historically high levels. You expect prices to go *down* as demand goes through the roof and supply is limited by inadequate refining capacity?

DjfunkmasterG
02-May-2006, 11:24 AM
Kinda funny how before 9/11 gas prices were still decent. You're trying to tell me that in 5 years gas prices jumped 200% because of demand. Even the fastest growing economy couldn't up demand high enough to raise the price of gas/crude oil 200%.

one word... BULLSH*T!

The president, his father and probably most of his administration has their hands deep in the oil business. They blame it on the war. Ummm, the last war gas prices weren't spiraling out of control. 5 years ago we were meeting demand. It is all a crock of sh*t plain and simple. It is simple gouging at the pump. Nothing more nothing less.

Marie
02-May-2006, 11:31 AM

Most American females I know go nuts over a Brit accent. Mind you, after the first couple of dates ya got to have a personality to back it up with.

And the other post that says we like big dicks is fantasy, YOU try having a train run through you:p .

M_

MinionZombie
02-May-2006, 11:50 AM
lol, I remember at uni when us lads sat down with the girls and watched a load of internet porn (their idea) and their shock at the size of meat flopping around was quite surprising. You grow up thinking it's all about the size of meat, but all the girls were all squeamish saying "that's f*cking huge!!!" ... and we were like, 'well you ain't been to THIS site then', lol. It's not like a cavern in there anyways...:D

Publius
03-May-2006, 03:05 AM
Kinda funny how before 9/11 gas prices were still decent. You're trying to tell me that in 5 years gas prices jumped 200% because of demand. Even the fastest growing economy couldn't up demand high enough to raise the price of gas/crude oil 200%.

one word... BULLSH*T!

In other words, "yeah you may have a lot of facts and logic and stuff, but come on, gas prices are really high! It's GOTTA be a plot!"

The president, his father and probably most of his administration has their hands deep in the oil business.

You forgot to mention Karl Rove's Svengali-like mind control powers.

It is simple gouging at the pump. Nothing more nothing less.

Then why aren't oil company profits *higher*? I already pointed out how if you eliminated oil company profits entirely, gas would only be about 20 cents per gallon cheaper. How do you explain the rest of the difference between $3 gas and your $1.75 "reasonable" price? Couldn't have ANYTHING to do with increasing demand from the developing world, market uncertainty about Iran, Iraq, and Venezuela, and actual curtailment of production in Nigeria, could it? No, it just *must* be an evil neo-con/corporate conspiracy!

DjfunkmasterG
03-May-2006, 01:26 PM
Spoken like a true Republican, maybe you should call the white house and ask for a job.

Save the BS for the ones that are still asleep.

$8.6 billion profit from one company in one quarter... Go over the entire year thats $32 Billion. WTF? wake up and don't be an ass.

It's gouging when they make those kind of profits. Go get your W for 4 more years pin and give Karl Rove his hand job you fit right in with that conservative lot of phuck ups.

HLS
04-May-2006, 04:08 AM

How would you like to make Minimum Wage, like most of the Immigrants do, or school kids do and have to shell out $3.30 a gallon. Plus YOUR gas is more costly because of the insane amount of taxes YOUR government puts on YOUR gas.

I make over $50,000 a year and I still can't make the almighty dollar stretch. So before you start bitching about $6.00 make sure you count all the other stuff us Americans have to shell out for besides our gas. I feel your pain... but don't down play our gas prices because you're paying more. Contact your elected officials and start bitching.

If you sit and say nothing you will continue to be gouged at the pump. You cry cry cry about what you pay, but I bet not once did you pick up the phone to complain to your elected officials about it.
The government also taxes us to death. 28% of my paycheck goes to federal, state, social security.etc. We should have lower gas prices. I do not see why the government does not step in and do something about this gas issue. I do not see how these insane prices can be justified

DjfunkmasterG
04-May-2006, 10:57 AM
The government also taxes us to death. 28% of my paycheck goes to federal, state, social security.etc. We should have lower gas prices. I do not see why the government does not step in and do something about this gas issue. I do not see how these insane prices can be justified

Well according to some it is the oil companies just doing business. "Oh my, why are you so harsh on the oil companies? Why do you wanna cut their profit? Blah Blah Blah!

It's a bunch of BS when the average family has to spend over $150 a week in gas just to get to work and do normal family activities. No one seems to bitching too much right now... but wait until that cost is passed onto the price of Food, or electronics, then you will see the real b*tch fest start.

p2501
04-May-2006, 02:35 PM
Wrong. You propose cutting oil company profits by 75%. Even ignoring the economic effects on gas supply of slashing the profit incentive for producing gas, that would lower the price to about $2.85 at best (assuming a $3.00 average now). You really want to see lower gas prices? First, cut gas *taxes*. The government keeps a far larger share from each gallon than the oil companies do. Second, get the government to allow construction of more refineries.

My god man, i've missed you.

brilliant response.

Spoken like a true Republican, maybe you should call the white house and ask for a job.

actually no, his point is sound. and the solution he reccomened would impact gas prices directly over the entire county.

if you can extract your head out of your ass, you'd notice that these increases happen every year at the same times (labor day, july 4th, and memorial day) because demand goes up.

now since the Gubment won't allow refineries run run at a higher level of production, the price goes up.

does big oil make a ton of money? duh. having said that in the lsit of scum****s making bank off of gas, your stae and the federal gubment make alot more.

MinionZombie
04-May-2006, 06:39 PM
RE: demand - indeed, it's summer now so everyone and their monkey is out in their bloody cars ... which are mostly gas guzzling trucks that only get driven on tarmac (I was stuck behind one such, pristine specimen today - bar the dents all over the back from poor driving skills, probably too much vehicle for the driver to handle).

People are more out and about at this time, businesses crank into overdrive because everyone is out with their monkies so products are flying off the shelves and so need to be brought in more frequently to shops and blah-funking-blah for the whole world.

Someone needs to unscrew the tap a tad at these times methinks.

DjfunkmasterG
05-May-2006, 11:22 AM
your state and the federal gubment make alot more.

Make a lot more? Are you phucking joking?

There is $.47 cents tax between Federal and State on Gasoline. Now try and explain the other $2.68 a gallon I am paying.

Thank You

case closed.

Publius
05-May-2006, 01:10 PM
Make a lot more? Are you phucking joking?

There is $.47 cents tax between Federal and State on Gasoline. Now try and explain the other $2.68 a gallon I am paying.

Thank You

case closed.

Here you go:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/brochures/gasolinepricesprimer/eia1_2005primerM.html

About 60% of the total price of gas is the cost of the crude oil that goes into making the gasoline. Then you have the gas taxes you mention, the costs of refining, marketing, and distributing, profit for the retailers (which are often independently owned, not owned by the big oil companies), *more* taxes on the *income* of the oil companies (separate from the per-gallon taxes paid by the consumer), and finally profit for the refiners and distributors.

DjfunkmasterG
05-May-2006, 01:20 PM
Let me ask this question?

Why in the hell do you need to market gasoline? Seriously, we all need it. Having a commercial on how good your gas is over seller B means nothing when paying $3.00 at the pump. Everyone is gonna go with the cheapest option they can find even if it is crappy low grade sh*t.

We all know Exxon Mobil is the #1 oil company. We all know they made $8.6 billion in profit this quarter. Marketing of gasoline is a useless system.

What p*sses me of is how they just laugh at us with their huge profits and massive severence packages to outgoing CEO's. We give a CEO $400 millon, but can't find a way to pass on some discount to the consumer. Come on!

Publius... I appreciate you making your point and giving your side of the argument, but this is one point I will always continue to be bull headed about, and I will be this way because of who is in the white house and his connection to the industry.

Danny
05-May-2006, 02:57 PM
indeed, it's summer now so everyone and their monkey is out in their bloody cars ... .

heh a monkey in a traffic jam on a summer day, now that would be damn entertaining:D

erisi236
05-May-2006, 03:33 PM
well, the oil companys make about 6 cents profit out of every dollar of gas and give you a product you need, the Federal and State Governments take about 17 cents out of every dollar of gas and give you nothing, so whos gougeing who? :)

deadwrtr
05-May-2006, 03:52 PM
does big oil make a ton of money? duh. having said that in the lsit of scum****s making bank off of gas, your stae and the federal gubment make alot more.

I'm not sure, but I don't recall the "gubment" posting revenues from collected gas taxes in excess of 8 billion. Yes, they tax gasoline and prices are too high. Here's the answer:

Stop buying so much of it. Use other means of transportation. Car pool. Ride a bike, take a train, walk, etc. I'm sure everyone can come up with some way to stop consuming so much gas.

Gas prices aren't coming down anytime soon. With the current situation in China, and their #2 status as the biggest consumers of gas and oil, the problem is not going to get better. That means demand will continue to rise, making gas more expensive.

I walk as much as I can, barring that, ride a bike. I make it to work (which happens to be about 5 miles away) in plenty of time, and find that I only have to fill my tank every 3 weeks or so.

Everyone should ask themselves, "What would I do if I didn't have a car?"

:shifty:

DjfunkmasterG
05-May-2006, 03:56 PM

Everyone should ask themselves, "What would I do if I didn't have a car?"

:shifty:

Kill myself! :D

Although I only live 2.7 miles from work I drive everyday because I have to also goto different sites for my company. So my total daily drive is like 25 miles. However,from home to my actual desk is 2.7 miles. With 9 satelite buildings spread out over 2 counties... Commuting between meetings suck. Especially since I am the only one from my group in those meetings.

Danny
05-May-2006, 05:37 PM
hard to believe threads like this are in the same section as "snakes on a plane".