PDA

View Full Version : day of the dead underground bunker

DeadJake
01-May-2006, 09:24 AM
is the underground bunker on dotd real and if it is where was it filmed

if not where was that landing site filmed :skull: :)

Wooley
01-May-2006, 09:26 AM
The bunker was real, it just was in Pennsylvania, according to the commentary on the DVD. It was an out of commission mine, I think.
The characters were really in Florida when they landed the chopper and met that horde of deaders.

DeadJake
01-May-2006, 10:42 AM
thanks alot

Apocryphism
01-May-2006, 02:45 PM
For the record:

The "bunker" location from Day of the Dead was filmed in three seperate locations. The outside scenes (the surface) were filmed on Sanibel Island, Florida. The location is still there. It is a helipad on national park land.

The interior shots of most of the "bunker," namely the tunnels and the labs, were shot in the Wampum limestone mine in Pennsylvania. It is now called the Gateway Storage Complex, and besides being greatly rennovated (and having its underground lake drained), it is still largely the same.

The scenes involving the large cargo elevator and the missle silo were also shot in Pennsylvania, but in a different location. This is an actual abandoned silo known as the Nike silo.

All of these locations still remain, in various states, with the underground storage complex being the one that has changed the most. Folks from this site and other individuals have visted these places in passing, if not at length, including myself. Someone will be along to post pictures shortly, no doubt. Hell, I might just do that myself here in a bit.

axlish
01-May-2006, 03:03 PM
The cargo elevator is at the Nike missile site, but the actual missile silo used in the film is adjacent to the mines.

Apocryphism
01-May-2006, 05:26 PM
The cargo elevator is at the Nike missile site, but the actual missile silo used in the film is adjacent to the mines.

I stand corrected :)

I'm quasi-informed, and somewhat well-traveled... but you, my friend, know your sh*t. Thanks for keeping me in line.

axlish
01-May-2006, 06:09 PM
I stand corrected :)

I'm quasi-informed, and somewhat well-traveled... but you, my friend, know your sh*t. Thanks for keeping me in line.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to have a look at the silo area when we visited the mines. It has been leased out to another company.

erisi236
01-May-2006, 06:13 PM
the "deserted city" is also Ft Myers Florida :cool:

Danny
01-May-2006, 06:15 PM
heh nike make nukes now?:lol: