PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill or Resident Evil?

Andy
01-Mar-2006, 09:44 PM
Stick to the original game, not the sequels if you can.

(cuz their better :P)

which do you prefer and why?:rockbrow:

AssassinFromHell
01-Mar-2006, 10:02 PM
Resident Evil for me. It's what I played first of the two, and what I've played more often. I guess its just because I'm more used to it. I enjoy playing it. It's a great game, and I like the first two sequels. Always fun, and it can't be completed in one sitting. I like that about a game. I get my money's worth, by getting alot sitting time.

DeadJonas190
02-Mar-2006, 03:50 AM
Silent Hill. While I do love Resident Evil and a few of the sequels, Silent Hill was the only game that really creeped me out. It got to the point that I had to play it during the day because when I would turn the light out every little creak would remind me of those creepy school kid things.

Enzomatrix
02-Mar-2006, 10:56 AM
its a tie between resident evil 2 and silent hill 1. re 2 was the first psx game id ever played or bought and it scared me so bad i could only play it a couple of minutes at a time and never when i was alone at home ( i was really afraid of zombie movies then) and silent hill was just a spooky ass game with all the little details they had in the game and the way the world shifted from normal to evil. and the enemay warnign system of the staticy radio and the music made it easily one of the best if not maybe the best survival horror game in terms of nood.

and i loved all the bonus endings too and extra weapons and its one of the first survival horror games that let you plat in the first person perspective.

but in terms of which series had the best games consistently its resident evil. silent hill 1 was the best and 2 was ok but 3 was so bad i couldnt force myself to keep playing it and that made me not want to play 4.

re 1 was cool and 2 was the best 3 was ok it was more of an action game kind of how re 4 is and it had that dodge move which i dont know why it wasnt in more of the games. code veronica was great for the dreamcast and re4 is one of the best action game out there and its easily one of the best franchise reinventions ever. the re 1 remake was cool and re 0 was ok.

i never played the outbreak games nor the gun games.

erisi236
02-Mar-2006, 02:20 PM
gotta go with RE cuz it was the first of the 2 I played, and at the time it really wowed me

p2501
02-Mar-2006, 03:13 PM
Silent hill, it consistantly out performs RE in everyway possible. resident evil seems to rely on alot of monsters jumping out at you, and the horror of a flawed contol system. whereas Silent hill, slowly builds it's self into someting more than cheap laughs.

while it's outside the scope of the question, i have to say the RE sequels (excluding re4 which i haven't played) have steadly become more and more preposterous. while the silent hill series, really just gets better and better. SH4 was ****ing epic.

axlish
02-Mar-2006, 04:31 PM
My gaming console days are long over but I did linger around long enough to enjoy the first few RE games. I had to give the vote to RE because I never even got in to Silent Hill. I played it once or twice, getting about 30 minutes into the game and never had the urge to go any further. Resident Evil on the other hand, I played extensively, especially the early games.

My vote for best RE game goes to RE2 but a close secod goes to Code Veronica. No zombie game has even come close but I must admit that these new modded out versions of Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green are giving the RE series a challenge, at least on the fun-factor and replay.

losherman
02-Mar-2006, 05:30 PM
resident evil all the way....although silent hill does give you the creeps too though.

idsaluteyoubub
04-Mar-2006, 07:03 AM
Damn this is a toughie. I love both series, though p2501 is right in that the RE series did get a little bland after a while...that is until RE4...and I am still reluctant to categorize that into a Resident Evil game since it is so...different...

...but I am going to have to say that Silent Hill is the better...it is generally creepier and a lot more innovative in its creatures in my opinion.

Andy
04-Mar-2006, 11:35 AM
did you guys actually notice in my first post, i said stick to the original games, resident evil 1 and silent hill 1, this was meant to be a comparison of those :p

erisi236
04-Mar-2006, 02:33 PM
I noticed. :D

if it was based on all the games I'd change my vote to SilentHill, based on the fact that the SH games change and get better as they go along and RE was stuck in a time warp up untill RE4

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, having not really been into either franchise, I can say this:

Resident Evil 2 was pretty darn awesome. I remember playing the demo of that many years back on my mate's PS1 - I know, PS-ONE, geez - anyway not only did I complete the demo first time (and he kept dying) it was really creepy and had that GAR feel to it. Mind you, what's with all those friggin' doors??? I know, it loads the next room...but DAMN!

No wonder it was in the Top 5 Most Annoying Things In Games on that games show on Bravo...you know, the one with Dominic Diamond..."When Games Attack", that's right - that show was cool, they should do a second series...

Anyway, I've heard that Silent Hill is more about "atmosphere" for the conesseur (sp?) while Resident Evil goes for more of the "obvious scares", suited more for the cheap thrill MTV audience...is that a fair observation?

CoinReturn
04-Mar-2006, 05:20 PM
Before Resident Evil 4, I would have said Silent Hill. SH had a much better atmosphere and generally creepy vibe to it. The Resident Evil franchise was getting stale, with lame gimmick games like Survivor and Outbreak. RE4 came along and blew away my expectations. They really took what worked with the series, and raised it to the next level. With RE5, it looks like there is a desert setting, and *gasp!* running zombies! Can't wait.

idsaluteyoubub
04-Mar-2006, 07:28 PM
did you guys actually notice in my first post, i said stick to the original games, resident evil 1 and silent hill 1, this was meant to be a comparison of those :p

I noticed, and that is why I answered with Silent Hill, as you can notice. ;)

I would even say Silent Hill definately over Resident Evil 1...in the long run, I feel that RE1 is probably my least favorite.

losherman
05-Mar-2006, 11:20 AM
Before Resident Evil 4, I would have said Silent Hill. SH had a much better atmosphere and generally creepy vibe to it. The Resident Evil franchise was getting stale, with lame gimmick games like Survivor and Outbreak. RE4 came along and blew away my expectations. They really took what worked with the series, and raised it to the next level. With RE5, it looks like there is a desert setting, and *gasp!* running zombies! Can't wait.

did you see the con stills from the fight scenes for re 5? looks better than 4.

I noticed, and that is why I answered with Silent Hill, as you can notice. ;)

I would even say Silent Hill definately over Resident Evil 1...in the long run, I feel that RE1 is probably my least favorite.

have you tried the remake of 1 on gamecube yet bub? its much better than the original for playstation.

Rottedfreak
05-Mar-2006, 04:54 PM
Running zombies in RE5 really? Holy ****! I was sick to death of those running zombie like Ganados from RE4 already! I mean a running zombie!!! wow!!!
Besides the crinsom head i really don't think they could be zombies mostly because RE5 is reusing RE4 play mechanics and Wesker got clean away with a sample of the Las Plagas.

Resident evil was a classic I loved the original game for everything, the intial uncertainty of the mansion, the documents bringing to light the fact it was all the cause of a shadowy coorperation creating a bioweapon was a fantastic premise.
Resi 2 was Resi 1 redone only with a zap system (the character scenarios), Resi 3 featured some interesting improvements to the formula, Resi CV was trying to be cool, Resi remake has the best atmosphere of the bunch and Resi Zero is another attempt to reinvent the formula from the ground up with the partner and inventory drop system.
Out of them all I liked the orginal/remake and equally enjoyed 4 on the cube.

Silent Hill on the other hand is centered on realism and 2 gave me the creeps on various occasions with the toilet pounding and the pyramid head sections, the forth game isn't really a Silent Hill game at all.

Enzomatrix
05-Mar-2006, 05:48 PM
dude i hope they have fast running zombies in RE 5 thats what the zombie genre needs to add some omph to the games. i know many of you hated the dawn remake but to me the fast moving zombies added alot to the overall fear to the movie. i hated all that growling they did though but the speed and ferocity of them made the movie for me.

the ganados were pretty quick at times in their own right although to me the scariest enemies in the game were the bug creatures. damn that hive level had me tweaked and that one super bug lookign thing that attacked from the ground and ceiling was the best. not so tough when you have a hand cannon but the first time through he scared the crap out of me.

now if theyed only add in limb specific damage and make it necessary to burn the zombies or shot them in the head to kill them then id be in heaven.

Humor Tumor
07-Mar-2006, 03:17 PM
Resident Evil for me, not only was it the first I played. but I was also hopelessly in love with zombies. Although I still am.

Danny
15-Mar-2006, 01:41 AM
as much as i love the game, resident evil is an action game, it just has zombies but so does stubbs and that aint horror.
silent hill is genuinly scarely and thus deserving of the title survival horror.

taradino cassat
30-Mar-2006, 07:30 PM
Gah, whoever posted this thread is the devil! I can't decide :confused: , I like them both... I'm the kind of RE Fan who enjoys "gimmicks" like outbreak and survivor but I also enjoy playing silent hill, I have all the unlockables and know that game like the back of my hand.

general tbag
21-Jun-2006, 04:31 AM
wow this might turn into a long post .;..... that what i get for checking retro topics.

i remember popping both in the playstation the first time, and to be honest both really warped my mind.

i played re1 first, and well i was pretty suprised. it truly showed off the cd format of the playstation. up til then cd games were nothign more than fmv games. i loved the intro and the cut scenes were more live action .
it was a great game, and for you gaming nuts the saturn version is better. has the extra battle mode, and the more blood. also has the japan cut scenes opposed to the na cut scene. the orignal was great, re2 was even greater abit stretched story.

silent hill is king, as far as survivor horror, the engine rocked, really showed that re could of been 3d. what silent hill did in the 1st game took re 4 games to do. it also had a great scary feeling to it. especially when thehron sounded the first time in the alley way.

btw silent hill sequels really sucked. lame stories , not even worthy of the silent hil name.

p2501
21-Jun-2006, 03:21 PM
btw silent hill sequels really sucked. lame stories , not even worthy of the silent hil name.

Gotta disagree

the SH sequels have all been pretty decent. "The Room", being my favorite of the lot, but they've all consistantly improved over the later games in both graphics, and playablility.

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 02:12 PM
eaxactly, for all the bad press i liked the room compared to resi returning to racoon city in what? about 5 titles now.

and i firmly believe silent hill 2 is THE definitive survival horror game and i dont think it will ever be topped.:D

p2501
22-Jun-2006, 03:59 PM
agreed on all counts.

RE has been dropping the ball nonstop in terms of plotting.

even RE4 which won game of the year of some ****, still has what's been refered to as a substandard plot.

resident evil has been fundamentally missing out on what gamers want, a Battlefield 2 style, campaign format, war with the zombies. i figure by RE27 they might get a clue about this.

general tbag
22-Jun-2006, 06:38 PM
eaxactly, for all the bad press i liked the room compared to resi returning to racoon city in what? about 5 titles now.

and i firmly believe silent hill 2 is THE definitive survival horror game and i dont think it will ever be topped.:D

to silent hill 4 i never played it so i cant judge that one

sh 2 seemed to forced as a sequel., good gfx, but lacking game design. sh1 offered more areas and better puzzles. i wish they would of just done a treu sequel to one.

also after running out and buy a dreamcast for code veronica, i laid off off resdient evil , i might have to pick up 4, since i heard so much about it.

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 07:55 PM
sh 2 seemed to forced as a sequel., good gfx, but lacking game design. sh1 offered more areas and better puzzles. i wish they would of just done a treu sequel to one.

.......*looks around for assistance*.....uhh....they did. it was called silent hill 3.:dead:

Cody
23-Jun-2006, 07:23 PM
silent hill 1 by far

unless you include the gamecube remake of resident

general tbag
23-Jun-2006, 08:17 PM
.......*looks around for assistance*.....uhh....they did. it was called silent hill 3.:dead:

i played 3 and even thought it had alot in common wasnt a true sequel.

that like saying resident evil 3 is a true sequel to resident evil 2.

Danny
23-Jun-2006, 08:23 PM
but it was about harrys daughter and what happened after silent hill 1, how much more of a true sequel can you get?:confused: