PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray Disc

xopher
04-Aug-2008, 01:36 PM
I just about shat a few minutes ago when I noticed that Best Buy has Dawn Of The Dead '78 and Day Of The Dead '84 on Blu-Ray disc. Has anyone been able to see these and can you rave about them at all? Is the quality that much better than the standard def DVD's or is it really lame? I hope not! Are there any added special features?

I hope they put Night Of The Living Dead '68 and '90 out on Blu-Ray, although with the 1968 edition they'd have to put black bars on either side of the picture. I'm okay with that though.

This is all very cool to me because I've been working a lot of overtime and (Lord willing) I'm about to upgrade my home theatre to a DLP projector and Blu-Ray player. I can't WAIT to see these films on beautiful 1080 HD!

Griff
04-Aug-2008, 02:57 PM
Yes, the blu ray versions of DAWN and DAY are a much better option than the DVD if your display is over, say, 40". If you're a real expert on image quality, you may find the slight DNR'ing and edge enhancement somewhat discouraging. If, however, you have little idea of what I'm talking about, then you should be more than happy with the improvement over standard definition DVD.

Here is a screen shot of DAWN (http://www.imagebam.com/image/ce6d201656375) to give you an idea of the kinda detail contained in these releases.

Good luck buying a projector. I'm sure it'll give you just as much pleasure as mine has given me (http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9409/wezjv4.jpg).

DjfunkmasterG
04-Aug-2008, 04:47 PM
I think DAWN looks better on BLU-RAY than DAY. I have both and I thought DAY looked too soft. I know they used the same master they used to make the divimax and Ultimate Editions, there was no new transfer done.

Griff
05-Aug-2008, 02:54 AM
DAY's 'soft' look may be entirely attributable to whatever technical gear and filmstock they shot the movie with. Also, if there's edge enhancement, its much less pronounced than DAWN's, which may artificially boost the impression of detail slightly in that movie.

And yep, the DVDs were downconversions of the exact same transfers, as are HALLOWEEN and EVIL DEAD II.