PDA

View Full Version : ONE SOLID REASON DAWN of the DEAD 2004 rocks

DjfunkmasterG
25-Aug-2008, 12:41 PM
Well since MZ listed 110 reasons he hates DAWN 04. I figured I would list one.

It is the first remake of a zombie film, that keeps the audience interested from beginning to end. With the use of standard plot points, and intersting characters, DAWN 04 is THE zombie movie of the new millenium.

mista_mo
25-Aug-2008, 12:58 PM
also i love Sarah Polley.

DjfunkmasterG
25-Aug-2008, 01:05 PM
I popped in Go over the weekend, and I never thought Sarah Polley was that attractive, but in DAWN 04 she looks pretty good at times. Especially when she had to escape her house the morning the **** hit the fan.

EvilNed
25-Aug-2008, 02:07 PM
Interesting characters? Were we watching the same film? It's the characters that annoy me. The rest I don't mind so much.

Bub666
25-Aug-2008, 02:12 PM
Interesting characters? Were we watching the same film? It's the characters that annoy me. The rest I don't mind so much.

Another problem was their was way too many characters.

bassman
25-Aug-2008, 02:18 PM
Okay....now give me one solid reason why you think this deserves yet another thread? Could it not have been added to the 2.2 million other threads already about this film and the likes/dislikes?

As for my response to the topic - :lol::lol::lol:. You're funny.

DjfunkmasterG
25-Aug-2008, 03:25 PM
Well MZ has his 110 reasons to hate it, well I need my thread of one solid reason to like it.

Out of all the zombies film in the last 6 years, DAWN 04 is the best of the bunch. It is entertaining, suspense filled, has a kick ass opening, characters I like (except for dog girl and Mekhi Pfifer), and it kept my attention for the full 1 hour and 40 minutes (theatrical) and was even better in the unrated format (1 hour 50 minute version).

Most of MZ's gripes are not even something I would gripe about in the film. Other than dog chick and Mekhi's character. So IMHO two things that sucked in the movie doesn't kill the whole movie for me, and it felt just as epic as the original DAWN. I still hold the original as the better of the two films.

bassman
25-Aug-2008, 03:41 PM
You gotta love it when people spew out opinion as fact....

darth los
25-Aug-2008, 03:55 PM
Well MZ has his 110 reasons to hate it, well I need my thread of one solid reason to like it.

Out of all the zombies film in the last 6 years, DAWN 04 is the best of the bunch. It is entertaining, suspense filled, has a kick ass opening, characters I like (except for dog girl and Mekhi Pfifer), and it kept my attention for the full 1 hour and 40 minutes (theatrical) and was even better in the unrated format (1 hour 50 minute version).

Most of MZ's gripes are not even something I would gripe about in the film. Other than dog chick and Mekhi's character. So IMHO two things that sucked in the movie doesn't kill the whole movie for me, and it felt just as epic as the original DAWN. I still hold the original as the better of the two films.

So we should just make a thread on reasons that we dislike LOTD. It's only right and should garner plenty of attention. Everyone who doesn't like it can give a few reasons. We should surpass 110 pretty quickly.

AcesandEights
25-Aug-2008, 04:48 PM
So we should just make a thread on reasons that we dislike LOTD. It's only right and should garner plenty of attention. Everyone who doesn't like it can give a few reasons. We should surpass 110 pretty quickly.

I think a similar 'reprisal' thread was done on the LotD board (when we had one) for just that reason. IIRC correctly, both camps used the word "Hater" a lot :rolleyes:

darth los
25-Aug-2008, 06:20 PM
I think that "hater" is just a term for the sentiment: " I dig this flick so much that's it's unfathomable to me that someone actually thinks it's a steaming pile of dog doo". " So, you're lying through your teeth cause you know it's a good movie, you.......HATER"!! Hilarious really.

capncnut
25-Aug-2008, 06:53 PM
It is the first remake of a zombie film, that keeps the audience interested from beginning to end. With the use of standard plot points, and intersting characters, DAWN 04 is THE zombie movie of the new millenium.
1. First remake of a zombie film that keeps the audience interested? Actually I thought Night 90 s**t all over Yawn 04. As for interested, there were people laughing out LOUD at my local theatre. Oh wait, I guess humour means interested too.

2. Standard plot points and interesting characters? Dude, the characters blend in with the wallpaper. They are so distant and uninteresting (with the exception of CJ and the smug f**ker who owned the boat) that it's almost laughable. Ahhh, now that's why the audience were laughing...

3. DAWN 04 is the zombie movie of the new millenium? God help us all! :confused:

I notice the word 'scary' wasn't included in your little piece of gravediggery, Deej. :D

DjfunkmasterG
25-Aug-2008, 09:43 PM
I notice the word 'scary' wasn't included in your little piece of gravediggery, Deej. :D

Yep, you're right. Because I don't think it is a scary movie. Nor was Night 1990, and to say Night 90 **** all over the remake of DAWN... No way, More like DAWN 04, ate Night 90 then **** it out.

DAWN 04 is a great action film with zombies, the only scary zombie movies ever made were

Night 68
DAWN 78
DAY 85

I don't think any zombie film since those were scary, although the ending of Shaun of the Dead got a little serious for a second, then they killed the scares with the fart joke, which even made me laugh. :lol:

Trin
25-Aug-2008, 11:03 PM
I liked the characters in Dawn '04. They acted like real people. I could relate to them. The characters take a beating around HPOTD but I don't know what's so bad about them. Look at CJ. He was a typical mall cop jerk at the start but his character evolved past that by the end. Hardly one dimensional.

If you're looking for an action flick and you don't mind some lack of thought in your plot, and you don't mind a stupid zombie baby, then Dawn '04 brings a lot to the table.

Legion2213
26-Aug-2008, 12:45 AM
I thought Michael was a very believable "everyday" kind of guy in Dawn 04, I was particularly impressed with the way he handled CJ at the begining, feeding him a few good ideas and letting him take the credit, so he felt he in control of the situation. That said, CJ turned out to be pretty cool by the end as well.

SymphonicX
26-Aug-2008, 09:07 AM

Bit of a broad observation there.

I nearly fell asleep in it. It was on TV the other day and I got 40 mins in and switched off. As soon as there's a hint of that pathetic zombie baby.

This film rocks, if you like braindead, stupid and awfully made hollywood junk food movies.

darth los
26-Aug-2008, 06:28 PM
This film rocks, if you like braindead, stupid and awfully made hollywood junk food movies.

That might or might night be true. However, it's certainly more entertaining than land. As a matter of fact sit a group of "outsiders" down and see which film they'd rather watch. I'm sure that the majority would pick dotd 04'.

Doc
26-Aug-2008, 10:21 PM
Night 90 s**t all over Yawn 04. I never got the love with Night 90. If you're going to just remake the flick every twenty years or so, following the original to the point that it's really just a phoned-in rehash of the original script, then what's the point?

RustyHicks
26-Aug-2008, 10:59 PM
I liked Night 90 as a remake, it kept up with
what Romero did in his other three classics, as well
George still had a little to do with the remake and
Salvini loved the series so much he did his best
to keep it alive with his version of night.

As for the Dawn remake, it went way off track before the
credits even roled. I expected a remake, you know
same characters, same story line, except a more modern
version of Dawn of the dead. Kind of like the Psycho remake,
what I got was a rip off. Too many characters, not enough meat
to the story, I couldn't connect to anyone in the movie and when
they all died at the end I was like, well that was a waste of
two hours of my life. I think the only decent thing about the
movie is the Cameos of the original Dawn players, with
the exception of David and Gaylen.

IMO I wouldn't say it rocks, more like it crawls under your
skin and makes you sick.
But each to thier own I guess.

SRP76
26-Aug-2008, 11:21 PM
when
they all died at the end I was like, well that was a waste of
two hours of my life.

I hear this a lot.

I'm not so sure we should count that. Short cuts during end credits can easily be ignored. What exactly is the "rule" about things like that? Are we allowed to ignore them, or do we have to consider them "part of the movie" even though we walked out when the credits started rolling, and didn't see it?

clanglee
27-Aug-2008, 12:01 AM
Besides, why does it matter if everyone in the movie dies? ummm. . . Night of the Living Dead anyone?

SymphonicX
27-Aug-2008, 12:17 PM
That might or might night be true. However, it's certainly more entertaining than land. As a matter of fact sit a group of "outsiders" down and see which film they'd rather watch. I'm sure that the majority would pick dotd 04'.

Yeah I'm sure the same majority would pick Freddy vs Jason over The Green Mile but that doesn't mean it's a better movie. Box office stats have dictated for years that people lap up **** like Yawn04.

But Land aint really that far off...terrible.

I never got the love with Night 90. If you're going to just remake the flick every twenty years or so, following the original to the point that it's really just a phoned-in rehash of the original script, then what's the point?

Otherwise it's not a remake, it's a different movie that's ripping off the title...hence my main gripe with Yawn

Neil
27-Aug-2008, 12:21 PM

I disagree... I was watching it the other day, and found myself bored.. I actually fast-forwarded through large sections of it...

Silly characters doing unbelievably silly things at times... A bit silly :rolleyes:

And then ontop of that, there's the godzilla squawking zombies with contacts...

Don't get me wrong, it's watchable, but it's far from a 'THE' for me...

DjfunkmasterG
27-Aug-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't see any other zombie film, at the present being the zombie film of the 21st century other than DAWN 2004. If they actually make something better, than I am sure I will say it is the king and not DAWN 04, but as of right compared to the films released in the first 8 years of this Millenium, DAWN 04 is THE zombie film of the 21st century.

SymphonicX
27-Aug-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't see any other zombie film, at the present being the zombie film of the 21st century other than DAWN 2004. If they actually make something better, than I am sure I will say it is the king and not DAWN 04, but as of right compared to the films released in the first 8 years of this Millenium, DAWN 04 is THE zombie film of the 21st century.

I know you may argue a point here, but 28 Days Later is simply the best of the latest movies that have come out in the post-apocalypic zombie thriller world...I know technically they're not zombies, but the whole premise was awesome and very scary, beats I am Legend hands down, and pays homage without ripping off Romero. Also the infected were fast running and the film shares a lot of traits with Yawn 04, but where it excels is an excellent cast, a brilliant script and some truly scary and brutal moments. Throughout the whole movie I was on the edge of my seat because I was worried about what would happen to the characters, because I CARED for them and their plight...Yawn04 just set people up for kills, as do most hollywood movies. It's disposable.

Neil
28-Aug-2008, 08:34 AM

If I had to watch something, it would probably be 28 Days/Months Later... Even with their faults...

I find the characters in Dawn04 too superficial/unbelievable, and the same with the godzilla, contact-lenses, going to be quiet and intelligent when necessary, zombies... Parts of it are very watchable, but too much of it is annoying daftness for me...

Land, and definately Diary, don't attract me much either...

SymphonicX
28-Aug-2008, 11:36 AM
at least Land had a semi decent script and had some great lines in it...

"isn't that what we're doing, pretending to be alive?"

DjfunkmasterG
28-Aug-2008, 12:14 PM

No offense, but you thought that was a great line?

Damn. No wonder Romero isn't trying anymore.

SymphonicX
28-Aug-2008, 12:22 PM
No offense, but you thought that was a great line?

Damn. No wonder Romero isn't trying anymore.

Of course it was a great line, it was an extreme example of the destitution of their situation. Name me one good part of the script in Yawn04....the only thing that sticks in my mind is the bit where the guy says something about "back when there was 8 of us"....

"That's why I love you Charlie, you still believe in Heaven..."

Neil
28-Aug-2008, 12:22 PM

They generally did less daft things at least :)

bassman
28-Aug-2008, 12:27 PM

Several people think that isn't a great line. They seem to pick at certain lines in Land even though there are numerous very similar lines that hint we're the same in the earlier films.

"We're them and they're us", "They are us", "I once saw one of those things sitting behind the wheel of a car in D.C. trying to drive down Independence Avenue.", "Some kind of instinct. Memory, of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives.", "They're us, that's all, when there's no more room in hell.", ETC....

Romero's been using lines that all relate us to the dead since day one. People just like to pick at Land...

SymphonicX
28-Aug-2008, 02:13 PM
I thought the line was a biting representation of the society they were living in...it HAD to be obvious, what was Riley supposed to say? giving us some deep metaphor would've made us all cringe. The truth was, they were feigning some sort of life away from the living dead and it was nothing to do with actual living. It made sense, it's a good line. a lot of people bitch about that stuff because they can't decide whether they want a poem or a balls to the wall commentary on how things are in the movie.

They generally did less daft things at least :)

The only daft thing in the movie was the death of the little guy on the skateboard...although that scene was creepy, he was never going to survive that situation...so really he should never have been there.

Neil
28-Aug-2008, 02:56 PM
The only daft thing in the movie was the death of the little guy on the skateboard...although that scene was creepy, he was never going to survive that situation...so really he should never have been there.

Yes, that was a clear example of a film character losing any desire to stay alive and/or do anything intelligent...

Legion2213
28-Aug-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes, that was a clear example of a film character losing any desire to stay alive and/or do anything intelligent...

Seriously, you just knew he was dead the second they dropped him off.

bassman
28-Aug-2008, 03:47 PM
Seriously, you just knew he was dead the second they dropped him off.

Yeah. At least they gave him a box of joints.:p

SymphonicX
28-Aug-2008, 03:48 PM

There was nothing to give us the impression that this guy wanted to be eaten...I mean, those who want to die generally kill themselves in a way that doesn't involve getting ripped in half...!

darth los
28-Aug-2008, 04:04 PM
Several people think that isn't a great line. They seem to pick at certain lines in Land even though there are numerous very similar lines that hint we're the same in the earlier films.

"We're them and they're us", "They are us", "I once saw one of those things sitting behind the wheel of a car in D.C. trying to drive down Independence Avenue.", "Some kind of instinct. Memory, of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives.", "They're us, that's all, when there's no more room in hell.", ETC....

Romero's been using lines that all relate us to the dead since day one. People just like to pick at Land...

I don't like land but imo that's an excellent line. What's more profound than an introspection about the true meaning of life? What does it mean to be alive? Is it just going through the motions eating, sleeping , working, having sex or getting high? Or is that merely existing? That's most likely a question that every man must answer for themselves.

There was a similar sentiment offered by Frannie in Dawn. She made a couple of comments that seemed to point to a malaise that had set in the group's mentality. It was also evident to anyone who saw the film. They had virtually every material comfort/excess that a human being could want but there was still something missing. Were they really living? My answer is no. Being alive, being human consists of much more and imo that's what riley was getting at. He was willing to leave the "comforts" and protection of The fortified city in order to look for something more. Something to give hope and purpose to life that was for the most part no longer worth living. Something that merely going through the motions everyday wasn't giving him.

There was nothing to give us the impression that this guy wanted to be eaten...I mean, those who want to die generally kill themselves in a way that doesn't involve getting ripped in half...!

Tell that to Miguel from Day !! :sneaky:

SymphonicX
28-Aug-2008, 04:17 PM
Tell that to Miguel from Day !! :sneaky:

Hahah I know, but he was already ****ed - the little dude (was he called mouse?) had nothing to die for...!

EvilNed
28-Aug-2008, 04:29 PM
I have to back up the 28 Days/Weeks Later supporters. Those films are infinetly superior to Dawn 04, even if Dawn 04 ain't awful. But the 28 days are simply great.

Mike70
28-Aug-2008, 04:35 PM
the line in land that has always stuck with me is at the very end when mully says something like, "why don't you stay. we could turn this place into what it always could've been."

riley's response, "yeah, but what will we turn into?"

i like that bit of insight in his character.

darth los
28-Aug-2008, 04:38 PM
Hahah I know, but he was already ****ed - the little dude (was he called mouse?) had nothing to die for...!

Nope. He was called yellow, Spic , in bad shape and collapsing from stress. However I don't believe that mouse was one of them.

Now that i think about it we should create a drinking game. Every time a racial or gender based slur is uttered in that film we take a shot. Dude we'd be soooo wasted !!:hurl:

SymphonicX
28-Aug-2008, 04:49 PM
Nope. He was called yellow, Spic , in bad shape and collapsing from stress. However I don't believe that mouse was one of them.

Now that i think about it we should create a drinking game. Every time a racial or gender based slur is uttered in that film we take a shot. Dude we'd be soooo wasted !!:hurl:

i was talking about the dude in Land, not Miguel!

darth los
28-Aug-2008, 04:55 PM
i was talking about the dude in Land, not Miguel!

In that case i think it was mouse. :lol:

But that's still a good game though. lol

Trin
28-Aug-2008, 05:35 PM

"isn't that what we're doing, pretending to be alive?"I don't think this line was great. The line iteslf is fine, but it was said by Riley, who had every capability to change the situation and made no effort to do so. He shouldn't be spouting off pithy rhetoric about life's desolation when he is a direct supporter of the system keeping the status quo intact. And running away to Canada does NOT count as doing something about it.

I think it could've been a great line. Let the line come from Mulligan and it would've had more impact. Or Slack. Or anyone who wasn't working for Kaufman. Let that line be said to Riley instead of by him. Then Riley could've had a 'wake up and smell the coffee' moment and been incented to change things.

Coming from Riley it sounded horribly insincere. He should've said, "Isn't that what we're doing, pretending to help people?"

Neil
28-Aug-2008, 09:26 PM
I have to back up the 28 Days/Weeks Later supporters. Those films are infinetly superior to Dawn 04, even if Dawn 04 ain't awful. But the 28 days are simply great.

The first 10 mins of 28 Months Later was awesome! Shame the last 3rd got soooo daft!

DjfunkmasterG
28-Aug-2008, 09:51 PM

Any moron who gets dropped off in zombie infested Territory and puts on a walkman while waiting for some boat full of money just screams Zombie food.

That was the dumbest ****ing scene in the movie worse than, the girl going after the dog in DAWN 2004. I mean seriously how ****ing daft do you have to be to have a walkman or MP3 player blasting music in your ears while you are in non secured boat house in a zombie infested city.

STUPID STUPID STUPID.

You knew the minute he was dropped off he was DEAD, they should have just CGI'd the tattoo on his forehead

"DUMBASS about to become zombie food"

Griff
29-Aug-2008, 12:02 AM
That was the dumbest ****ing scene in the movie worse than, the girl going after the dog in DAWN 2004.[/B]

Granted, it was a gratuitous set up for some spectacular gore but I don't see how you could consider it worse than the girl going after the dog thing, which was just plain bad writing and a substitute for actual character motivation.

One was in the name of fun, the other in desperation.

Bub666
29-Aug-2008, 12:09 AM
There's nothing worse than the girl going after that stupid dog.

Trin
29-Aug-2008, 06:44 AM
The first 10 mins of 28 Months Later was awesome! Shame the last 3rd got soooo daft!I believe 28 Months could've been the best survival horror movie of all time. But it wasn't. Great start. Riveting. Good suspense. Good characters. But it really missed the boat when the dad somehow was left alone with the wife then somehow got all the way out of the protected area then somehow infected the rest. They had sooooooo many better ways to spread the infection out. That movie was perhaps the worst missed opportunity in filmmaking in the past 10 years.

I can understand the chick going after the dog in Dawn '04. Emotional and stupid, yes. Agree with it, no. Shoulda let her die, yes.

Mouse being left on the docks with headphones on is not entirely stupid.

No, hear me out on this. You gotta look at the way the Land characters acted. These people no longer consider the zombies a threat in their area. They were so used to not having zombies around that they took these kinds of chances as part of daily life.

Just look at the "screaming practice" guards. These guys were outside the closed fences. On the wrong side of the river. In the dark. Making noise. Shooting targets for bets. It's obvious that these guys were used to never seeing a zombie. How long would you have to go without seeing a zombie to be that lax and comfortable outside the protected area?

Given that, why would Mouse expect to see a zombie? Why would he be concerned at all? Compared to those guards Mouse was downright cautious.

Neil
29-Aug-2008, 06:47 AM
Any moron who gets dropped off in zombie infested Territory and puts on a walkman while waiting for some boat full of money just screams Zombie food.

That was the dumbest ****ing scene in the movie worse than, the girl going after the dog in DAWN 2004.
Can I feel a poll brewing? :)

Mike70
29-Aug-2008, 12:11 PM
There's nothing worse than the girl going after that stupid dog.

as one of the biggest dog haters on planet earth, i wholeheartedly second this.

"come here chips, come on boy."

oh how i cringe every single time i hear that.

bassman
29-Aug-2008, 12:52 PM
The first 10 mins of 28 Months Later was awesome! Shame the last 3rd got soooo daft!

Wait a minute. There's a third film in the 28 series??:stunned:

darth los
29-Aug-2008, 01:13 PM
As i stated earlier atleast the chick going after the dog had a purpose. It was the catalyst for everything that followed in the movie. She goes after the dog, they go rescue her, in trying to get back to the mall they had zombies hot on their asses so they had to make a quick escape which set up the final minutes of the movie. The dude at the dock had no purpose other than to get torn apart and provide a gory scene.

bassman
29-Aug-2008, 01:16 PM
As i stated earlier atleast the chick going after the dog had a purpose. It was the catalyst for everything that followed in the movie. She goes after the dog, they go rescue her, in trying to get back to the mall they had zombies hot on their asses so they had to make a quick escape which set up the final minutes of the movie. The dude at the dock had no purpose other than to get torn apart and provide a gory scene.

It's been a while since I've seen Land, but I thought his scene sets the audience up to realize that Big Daddy and his crew had reached the river?

darth los
29-Aug-2008, 01:22 PM
Yes that's true but i think there could have been a better way to do it. Also, i was making the point that the daft girl going after the dog had the purpose of setting up the climax of the film and wasn't just there to annoy us.

I'll be the first to admit that was the dumbest thing ever but hey i guess that's what the writers wanted to do.

Neil
29-Aug-2008, 01:47 PM
Wait a minute. There's a third film in the 28 series??:stunned:

The last 3rd of "28 Months"... :rockbrow:

bassman
29-Aug-2008, 01:55 PM
28 Days Later. 28 Weeks Later.

Maybe it's me....but I haven't seen a 28 Months Later....

darth los
29-Aug-2008, 02:11 PM
The last 3rd of "28 Months"... :rockbrow:

28 Days Later. 28 Weeks Later.

Maybe it's me....but I haven't seen a 28 Months Later....

Once again the arrow misses it's target... lol

I believe that Neil was refering to the fact that the person who posted that was refering to the last third of the film and not a third film in the series.

EvilNed
29-Aug-2008, 03:15 PM
I liked 28 Months Later alot. Much better than most new zombiefilms out there. The opening was awesome, but I liked the rest of the movie too. Could have done with a bit more pain and suffering, because it was set up for alot of it. But hey, can't have everything.

Neil
29-Aug-2008, 03:28 PM
I liked 28 Months Later alot. Much better than most new zombiefilms out there. The opening was awesome, but I liked the rest of the movie too. Could have done with a bit more pain and suffering, because it was set up for alot of it. But hey, can't have everything.

I found the last third of 'Months' got a bit too silly for me...

- Seemingly infected people being completely unguarded/monitored.
- Members of the public being put into 'safe holds' that are totally unsafe.
- Infect individuals (their dad) becoming psychic - ie: Knowing where/when to turn up in London.
- The helicopter... Hmmm... :)

Trin
29-Aug-2008, 05:29 PM
We're talking about 28 Weeks Later, right? Not Months?

Good points Neil. But the list goes on and on. It starts with the Dad getting left alone with the maybe-infected wife and then he gets out to infect everyone else. I'd have had 50 guns trained on that room and locks and unbreakable glass and....... there's no way he's getting out. He would've had an easier time getting breakfast at McDonald's after 10:30.

When the chick is guiding them through the subway using the nightvision scope I about lost it. "It's okay, it's okay... Stay calm... STOP!!!! Okay, okay... it's okay... STOP!!!!!" Crap, man. About the second time she did that I would've been running for daylight.

-- ----------

The whole premise of the infection getting out was just flawed. It irks me that they didn't even bother to give us a plausible plot twist for the main movie premise.

What would've been better is if the little boy had gotten infected from his mom out in the wild when they first met. Tears of joy, scrape on the arm that she kisses to make it better - whatever. Because he wouldn't show signs of infection he could've been re-integrated with the population without alarm. No one would've suspected anything wrong.

Then, say the dad gets infected inside the secured area, but at the same time the kid also inadvertently infects someone inside the basement. Maybe by sharing a drink or something. The alarms go off and the military goes on alert but they immediately shoot and kill the dad (which would've save us from half the movie). They declare the emergency over not realizing that the REAL emergency is happening outside. From there the plot continues with them trying to escape.

Now that would've made sense and been cool!!

Bub666
29-Aug-2008, 07:09 PM
It starts with the Dad getting left alone with the maybe-infected wife and then he gets out to infect everyone else. I'd have had 50 guns trained on that room and locks and unbreakable glass and....... there's no way he's getting out.

He should've never been allowed to go in and see his wife.

acealive1
30-Aug-2008, 01:28 AM
the fact a major studio tossed cash at an old zombie franchise makes this cool for that alone. not to mention sarah polley is very guttable :sneaky:

Legion2213
30-Aug-2008, 11:31 AM
28 Weeks took a nose dive after one of the best opening scenes I've ever witnessed, the assault on the little farm house was horrific and 100% awesome! The infected really are pant-sh*ttingly terrifying when they are on the rampage.

Bub666
30-Aug-2008, 01:05 PM
28 Weeks took a nose dive after one of the best opening scenes I've ever witnessed, the assault on the little farm house was horrific and 100% awesome!

That was a good opening.

darth los
30-Aug-2008, 05:09 PM
I agree that it was a good film but as was said earlier there few missed opportunities that could have made it classic. Maybe they'll get it right next time.

MissJacksonCA
31-Aug-2008, 01:56 AM
I say love any movie where the characters are so bored they try to kill the celeb-zombie look alikes...

DjfunkmasterG
31-Aug-2008, 10:38 PM
I say love any movie where the characters are so bored they try to kill the celeb-zombie look alikes...

I second that. :D

When Land of the Dead's characters are bored, they try to hold a city hostage for money that is frigging WORTHLESS outside that city. Sheesh. They should have looked at DAWN 04 and took some pointers.

(Ok let the comments fly, I deserve it after those remarks.)

darth los
31-Aug-2008, 11:57 PM
They gave the impression that there were other cities like the one they were in. Perhaps cholo wanted to start fresh at one of them where the currency would still be worth something.

bassman
01-Sep-2008, 12:18 AM
They gave the impression that there were other cities like the one they were in. Perhaps cholo wanted to start fresh at one of them where the currency would still be worth something.

See, this would require the audience to listen and actually think outside the box about what they're watching. Too bad most people these days want 90 minute music videos.;)

Bub666
01-Sep-2008, 12:20 AM
Too bad most people these days want 90 minute music videos.;)

:hurl:
Not me.

darth los
01-Sep-2008, 12:26 AM
See, this would require the audience to listen and actually think outside the box about what they're watching. Too bad most people these days want 90 minute music videos.;)

That's funny. I just posted in dead discussion how when Gar first broke in there was a different mentality to film making. Character development, minor conflict and major conflicts leading to a resolution etc. seem to be forgotten concepts that nowdays filmakers aren't even interested in getting into.

Bub666
01-Sep-2008, 12:30 AM
That's funny. I just posted in dead discussion how when Gar first broke in there was a different mentality to film making. Character development, minor conflict and major conflicts leading to a resolution etc. seem to be forgotten concepts that nowdays filmakers aren't even interested in getting into.

Today's filmakers need to get back to making movies that way.

darth los
01-Sep-2008, 12:34 AM
Today's filmakers need to get back to making movies that way.

They probably would if that's what today's audiences wanted. I think t's the rampant A.D.D. that causes films like that to be made. Today's audiences simply don't have the patience to wait for character development.

Bub666
01-Sep-2008, 12:39 AM
I think t's the rampant A.D.D. that causes films like that to be made. Today's audiences simply don't have the patience to wait for character development.

You got a point,today's audiences only want non stop action.

Trin
01-Sep-2008, 12:41 AM
Just look at the responses to Land and Diary on this board. How much gore was there? How many great zombie kills? How many explosions and how many hot chicks? How much CGI and how believable?

There is discussion about plot and character and conflict, but it tends to have to fight for time against purely surface crap. In the old days you didn't have special effects choking out storytelling like weeds in a flowerbed.

Doc
01-Sep-2008, 04:48 PM
They probably would if that's what today's audiences wanted. I think t's the rampant A.D.D. that causes films like that to be made. Today's audiences simply don't have the patience to wait for character development.

I want to know what is character development to everyone here?

I always hear the characters in the original Dawn were the most highly developed characters in the series.....When in reality they were actually very poorly developed. We know little or nothing about these people from start to finish.

*gets flame shield*

SymphonicX
02-Sep-2008, 12:39 PM

I always hear the characters in the original Dawn were the most highly developed characters in the series.....When in reality they were actually very poorly developed. We know little or nothing about these people from start to finish.

*gets flame shield*

I think character development is a bit of a false economy in Romero's movies. The characters are kinda just there, but they develop in their reactions to scenarios....not their characters exactly. It's not a character movie, it's about the situation, the adventure, and how humanity on various levels deals with these situations...it's not focused on the "people" so much as "people" in general.

Neil
02-Sep-2008, 12:54 PM

*gets flame shield*

Character development is more than just finding out 'stuff' about them... It's basically about spending quality time with them and learning a little bit about what makes them tick :)

So if/when they are in trouble you actually can sympathise with them and care...

bassman
02-Sep-2008, 12:56 PM
Character development is more than just finding out 'stuff' about them... It's basically about spending quality time with them and learning a little bit about what makes them tick :)

So if/when they are in trouble you actually can sympathise with them and care...

Oh yeah. Kinda like in Dawn 04 when....err....when that character....uh....umm...

Nevermind.:p

darth los
02-Sep-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh yeah. Kinda like in Dawn 04 when....err....when that character....uh....umm...

Nevermind.:p

I think that the Gar's shamblers being slow also allows for the movie to slow down so we can have things like character development. The frenzied pace of dawn 04' was a big reason why for the most part that didn't happen.

Also, alot that we know about the protagonists in Dawn are due to the novel that accompanied it such as their last names etc. But like was said earlier, a slower paced film allows us to get to know the characters better.

SymphonicX
02-Sep-2008, 02:56 PM
28 days later had plenty of "runners" and much better character development.

Neil
02-Sep-2008, 03:05 PM
and much better character development.I agree...

darth los
02-Sep-2008, 03:56 PM
There were also plenty of slow downs which allowed that development. Like the kids going back to find a pic of their mom for example. Dawn 04' had nothing like that. It was balls to the wall from the get go.

SymphonicX
02-Sep-2008, 04:21 PM
There were also plenty of slow downs which allowed that development. Like the kids going back to find a pic of their mom for example. Dawn 04' had nothing like that. It was balls to the wall from the get go.

You're confusing 28 WEEKS late with 28 DAYS Later.

weeks was lame, and a direct comparison with yawn 04 would herald similar opinions in my books. For instance it was way too over the top, thin on the ground with characters, but had a great opening sequence.

28 Days had quite a bit of slowdown too, and it went to show that the fastness of the zeds had nothing to do with the thin plot.

Trin
02-Sep-2008, 05:18 PM
Similar to what Neil said, I don't think character development is a function of screen time or dialogue. It isn't the ability to name the person's job or hair color or past five job references. It's about knowing the person. Relating with them. Understanding them. And ultimately developing a love or hate of them that might emotionally invest you as the viewer into their fate. Most of all, it doesn't require that you pause the action and have some dialogue. It can be done through the action, through reaction, through expression on faces, etc.

I thought Dawn '04 had plenty of character development, and did a good job with it. I couldn't name all the characters but I could tell you which ones I liked, disliked, wanted to see live/die, and why. I thought the main characters were well developed and the supporting characters were developed well enough to not get in the way.

Land worked hard at character development and I applaud it for the effort. It had great examples of both good and bad character development. I think its biggest failing was putting Riley in the no-man's land between caring and selfish. He was hard to love and yet hard to hate. Some of the other characters, though, like Charlie, Cholo, and Kaufman, were very well developed. Then there were the total tag-alongs like Foxy and Pretty Boy and Manolete. They had no purpose and being so under-developed were just confusing to the storyline.

Diary had no character development. Half of what the characters did or said was to reinforce the message of the movie, not to develop or define their character. That made their characters very flimsy.

28 Weeks did an awesome job developing the family characters. Dad and the kids were great. Then it turned into an action movie that had absolutely no need for developed characters. What an enormous pity.

Dead Hoosier
02-Sep-2008, 08:29 PM
Dawn '04: THE best opening sequence in horror history.

Doc
02-Sep-2008, 09:52 PM

Aha ok I see what your trying to say.:)

To me "Character Development" is the little bits and pieces that we learn about a character over the course of a film or book that help flesh the character out more. Stuff like a character's interests, their backstories, last names, relatives, etc.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Sep-2008, 12:34 PM
Aha ok I see what your trying to say.:)

To me "Character Development" is the little bits and pieces that we learn about a character over the course of a film or book that help flesh the character out more. Stuff like a character's interests, their backstories, last names, relatives, etc.

Thats how I see it, and Michael,s backstory about his jobs, his failed marriages and being a dad were some decent developments of his character.

darth los
04-Sep-2008, 04:12 PM
What!?! You mean his job selling t.v.'s at Best Buy doesn't count for anything !?! :stunned: SHEESH !

If that doesn't tell you something about a man then nothing will.

skullan
07-Sep-2008, 06:08 PM
Dawn of the Dead (2004) was, in my opinion, a great zombie-based action flick. The casting was good, the acting was solid. I really liked it.

The original Dawn of the Dead was a good movie for character development and it is fun to watch to see the differences in terms of time (JC Penny's merchandise and such).

They are both good flicks, but admittingly, I will watch 2004 over the original any day of the week.

Diary of the Dead is fairly good and it comes close to being as interesting as Dawn (2004).

Land of the Dead was trash.

Day of the Dead (original) was fun to watch, but it wasn't as good as Dawn the original and was stupid in some places.

Day of the Dead (remake) was trash, beyond trash.

Night of the living Dead (90s) was actually a good flick and I like the direction they took Barbara.

Night of the living Dead (original), good flick.

I love zombie flicks, but even with Romero it is hit and miss on whether or not his movies are good. I'm especially critical of Romero after LotD, I felt let down after that one.

fulci fan
09-Sep-2008, 03:06 AM
I am going with Planet Terror as the best zombie movie since night 90

DjfunkmasterG
09-Sep-2008, 10:40 AM
well if 28 Days later isn't a zombie flick, then Planet Terror doesn't qualify as one either. They were called sickos, and you could shoot them anywhere to kill them. When guns were fired at them, the sickos would turn around and retreat. (See BBQ scene when they held up in the restaurant)

Excessium
09-Sep-2008, 12:57 PM
I think Shaun of the Dead is better then Dawn. You can only watch Dawn once or twice after that you begin to notice just how horrible the movie really is. Shaun on the other hand is a movie you can watch over and over again and find something new. So much is going on in the background, that when you actually start to notice it, you gain a whole new level of respect for what Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg did. Also, in the better zombie movies i have watched, zombies are usually the backdrop for the actual story. Zombies aren't really that intersting which is why movies that make them the antagonist usually are weak.
Dawn is just a really boring movie. I can't relate to any of the characters. Can anyone? There isn't enough there to even let u care about them.
Edgar Wright did a far better job directing then Zack Snyder. And the Shaun screenplay/story was far better then James Gunn's weak script.
Really I think Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg laid down the new blueprint on how to make a good film with zombies. Develop Characters inside a story, throw zombies in.

Neil
09-Sep-2008, 01:02 PM
I think Shaun of the Dead is better then Dawn. You can only watch Dawn once or twice after that you begin to notice just how horrible the movie really is. Shaun on the other hand is a movie you can watch over and over again and find something new. So much is going on in the background, that when you actually start to notice it, you gain a whole new level of respect for what Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg did. Also, in the better zombie movies i have watched, zombies are usually the backdrop for the actual story. Zombies aren't really that intersting which is why movies that make them the antagonist usually are weak.
Dawn is just a really boring movie. I can't relate to any of the characters. Can anyone? There isn't enough there to even let u care about them.
Edgar Wright did a far better job directing then Zack Snyder. And the Shaun screenplay/story was far better then James Gunn's weak script.
Really I think Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg laid down the new blueprint on how to make a good film with zombies. Develop Characters inside a story, throw zombies in.
Shaun did have some really nice - Romero'esque - touches...

I always like the ambulance they drive by, and there is a body back just gently thrashing around... :)

Bub666
09-Sep-2008, 01:05 PM

I agree,Shaun is a lot better then the Dawn remake.

Excessium
09-Sep-2008, 01:12 PM

Really??? I'll name a few openers I think are better horror openers.
28 weeks later, that opener is better for not only what happens, but the for the question it asks. Under those circumstances, could you do what Don did to his wife. Could you leave a loved one behind like that? Plus none of infected slowed down for dramatic purposes like the little girl did in dawn.
28 days Later.
The Ring.
Scream-You killed off Drew Barrymore in the first 10 mins!?
OG NoTLD.
Those are the 5 that stand out in memory.

Neil
09-Sep-2008, 01:54 PM

Was quite good apart from:-
1) Cheap sex scene - Necessary due to the poor writing.
2) Super human girl-child zombies bouncing off the floor.
3) Unecessary contacts (in husbands eyes) to help the more dimwitted members of the audience work out who's not normal anymore.
4) Raptor/Godzilla zombies - Why the strange unhuman screams?

Yes it was a good opening, but the cracks were already showing in the movie even in the early stages!

darth los
09-Sep-2008, 03:49 PM
How dare they try something different.

skullan
16-Sep-2008, 04:32 PM
Was quite good apart from:-
1) Cheap sex scene - Necessary due to the poor writing.
2) Super human girl-child zombies bouncing off the floor.
3) Unecessary contacts (in husbands eyes) to help the more dimwitted members of the audience work out who's not normal anymore.
4) Raptor/Godzilla zombies - Why the strange unhuman screams?

Yes it was a good opening, but the cracks were already showing in the movie even in the early stages!

1) Yeah, nothing like having a biker gang running through the mall shoving pies in the faces of zombies, sitting at the heart meter machine when being chased by zombies or really poor music selection during the whole thing. Because that right there was awesome writing :) *just a hint of sarcasm on my part here :)*

2) She didn't bounce, she jumped, she's dead, dead don't feel the pain of their bodies getting slammed (or at least that is assumed). I will agree that they did it too fast, she was pulled up with a wire I believe.

3) Shaun of the Dead did it with CGI, Dawn (original) and Day did it with grey body paint. Each movie has the dead being differentiated from the living in different ways.

4) Agreed. It wasn't necessary to make them shriek, or technically make noises at all. With that said, wasn't that much of a detractor for me.

darth los
16-Sep-2008, 06:31 PM
1) Yeah, nothing like having a biker gang running through the mall shoving pies in the faces of zombies, sitting at the heart meter machine when being chased by zombies or really poor music selection during the whole thing. Because that right there was awesome writing :) *just a hint of sarcasm on my part here :)*

Great point. I actually posted about how rediculous that was not too long ago.

Deadman_Deluxe
16-Sep-2008, 08:08 PM
Personally?

I think this whole situation could have, and should have, been avoided by simply NOT calling the movie DAWN OF THE DEAD.

Lets face it. When all is said and done, its NOT DAWN OF THE DEAD, is it?

This movie was a rip off, a blatant cash in on an already existing franchise, somewhat sacrilegious in it's nature, and directed by a guy who misunderstood the most basic of concepts regarding zombie flesh-eaters, which were the creatures whom he was supposed to be portraying.

That said, it was strong enough to stand on its own two feet as a decent horror movie ... so why use the name? The answer is obvious. Money!

Had they called the movie <insert independent movie title here> then we would never have been having this discussion over and over for the past four years, we would never have had such a split camp, and we would in all likely hood all be singing its praises, whilst simultaneously laughing about the impossibilities of sprinting corpses.

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't buy the idea of 'everyone would love it if it wasn't called Dawn of the Dead' though, to paraphrase for sake of argument.

Regardless of title, the flaws I've listed at exhaustive length (110 in 110 minutes :elol:) would still exist and still render it a load of f*cking poop.

But that's my take, on your take, of one element of this whole piss-pie, so...

sandrock74
16-Sep-2008, 09:48 PM
I think this whole situation could have, and should have, been avoided by simply NOT calling the movie DAWN OF THE DEAD.

Lets face it. When all is said and done, its NOT DAWN OF THE DEAD, is it?

I fully agree!

Bub666
17-Sep-2008, 02:53 AM
I don't buy the idea of 'everyone would love it if it wasn't called Dawn of the Dead' though, to paraphrase for sake of argument.

Regardless of title, the flaws I've listed at exhaustive length (110 in 110 minutes :elol:) would still exist and still render it a load of f*cking poop.

But that's my take, on your take, of one element of this whole piss-pie, so...

I agree.If you called anything else it would still be a bad movie.

darth los
17-Sep-2008, 06:36 PM
I agree.If you called anything else it would still be a bad movie.

I'll tell you what though. Calling it something different would have atlleast taken away one of the main talking points for those that don't like the film.

Try this out at home. Sit a bunch of people in a room and play both movies for them and don't display any of your biases and let them tell you which one they enjoyed more, rather watch and would recomend to others.

I think the answer is obvious. DAWN 04'

MinionZombie
17-Sep-2008, 09:03 PM
I'll tell you what though. Calling it something different would have atlleast taken away one of the main talking points for those that don't like the film.

Try this out at home. Sit a bunch of people in a room and play both movies for them and don't display any of your biases and let them tell you which one they enjoyed more, rather watch and would recomend to others.

That just high lights a problem with "tha yoof" today, if that were to happen.

People liking something just cos it's flashy and modern ... I still groan disdainfully at the bitch who said Yawn04 was "loads better than the original" on the UK trailer that used 2 second clips of morons coming out of the cinema barking their sub-Paul Ross 'reviews'.

Sometimes I dream of a world where such people are rounded up into camps and then pushed off a really tall cliff. :elol:

Bub666
18-Sep-2008, 03:30 AM

Actully,I made my wife watch both movies.And without me saying anything about either movie to her,she told me she liked Dawn'78 better.And my wife hates zombie movies.

Danny
18-Sep-2008, 03:43 AM
actually i watched em back to back and appreciated the remake more then, not because it was like the real one, but because it was so dissimilar that right after dawn i was watching something completely different and it seemed less like it was trying to be dawn. it wasn't just the name, if they set it in a college r something instead of a school i think it would have been much better received.

Mutineer
18-Sep-2008, 04:08 AM
Dawn 04 kicks major ass.

I wish it would not be lumped into the same breath as the original as they are two very different movies other than zombies and the Mall.

How a zombie fan can call Dawn 04 **** is a mystery in this sea of ****ty zombie films.

I try and not pay too much attention to Box Office results or film ratings but when you have the following

IMDB 7.4/10 - Dawn 04 - 59,000 Votes
IMDB 8.0/10 - Dawn 78 - 53,000 Votes

The more votes, inevitably the score will go down.

-

The film didn't have too may flaws as is joked in the blog of 110. Yes, the girl going after the fog was lame, the CJ suddenly being cool thing sucked and yes, it has some flaws; NO ONE SAYS IT IS PERFECT!

But it also is fun as ****. ONe of the first zombie films to take us outside the house or bunker and into the streets a bit.

I love the original Dawm ,but the pie throwing bikers, the lame blueish zombies, the absurd sountrack score, the overall lack of sophistication of Romero's direction, the characters mostly carbon ...

Both films have a ton to offer but calling DAWN 04 **** says something about your taste in films for me. You want more Contagium ? Scifi Zombies ? Day remakes ? Return remakes ? Resident Evil nonsense ?

Come on.

Take off the Romero goggles for 5 seconds and have fun with the film. It blows LAND and DIARY away and honestly ? I'd put in 04 before 78 anyday.

Doc
18-Sep-2008, 11:37 AM
the absurd sountrack score, Hey now that Goblin soundtrack kicks ass.:D

the overall lack of sophistication of Romero's direction, I like Dawn but, I agree there some scenes that make me go like "Wait hang on a minute?:rockbrow:"

I'd put in 04 before 78 anyday.

If you mean for entertainment yeah but, '78 is defiantly the better film.

Bub666
18-Sep-2008, 11:44 AM
Yes, the girl going after the fog was lame

:confused:
When did the girl go after a fog?I think you meant to say dog.

bassman
18-Sep-2008, 11:54 AM
God....it still amazes me how some people just REFUSE to believe that other people may have opinions that differ from their's. And then they throw out things like "Romero Goggles", "Fanboys", etc.:rolleyes::annoyed:

You would think this tired and worn out debate would have been over years ago. Now it's just like TBS Superstation....nothing but re-runs of the same old sh*t...

Bub666
18-Sep-2008, 12:19 PM
God....it still amazes me how some people just REFUSE to believe that other people may have opinions that differ from their's. And then they throw out things like "Romero Goggles", "Fanboys", etc.:rolleyes::annoyed:

You would think this tired and worn out debate would have been over years ago. Now it's just like TBS Superstation....nothing but re-runs of the same old sh*t...

I agree,this debate is stupid and pointless.When will this stupid debate end?Probably never.

Deadman_Deluxe
18-Sep-2008, 02:13 PM

Not so much that "everyone would love it", but more a case of "not as many people would have been offended", because without the title name, there would be no direct comparison to be made with the original.

Had it not been called DAWN OF THE DEAD then it would have been seen by the majority as JUST a new take on the zombie flesh eater genre rather than a rip off.

darth los
18-Sep-2008, 03:30 PM
Dawn 04 kicks major ass.

I wish it would not be lumped into the same breath as the original as they are two very different movies other than zombies and the Mall.

How a zombie fan can call Dawn 04 **** is a mystery in this sea of ****ty zombie films.

I try and not pay too much attention to Box Office results or film ratings but when you have the following

IMDB 7.4/10 - Dawn 04 - 59,000 Votes
IMDB 8.0/10 - Dawn 78 - 53,000 Votes

The more votes, inevitably the score will go down.

-

The film didn't have too may flaws as is joked in the blog of 110. Yes, the girl going after the fog was lame, the CJ suddenly being cool thing sucked and yes, it has some flaws; NO ONE SAYS IT IS PERFECT!

But it also is fun as ****. ONe of the first zombie films to take us outside the house or bunker and into the streets a bit.

I love the original Dawm ,but the pie throwing bikers, the lame blueish zombies, the absurd sountrack score, the overall lack of sophistication of Romero's direction, the characters mostly carbon ...

Both films have a ton to offer but calling DAWN 04 **** says something about your taste in films for me. You want more Contagium ? Scifi Zombies ? Day remakes ? Return remakes ? Resident Evil nonsense ?

Come on.

Take off the Romero goggles for 5 seconds and have fun with the film. It blows LAND and DIARY away and honestly ? I'd put in 04 before 78 anyday.

It's true. Besides Romero's films name you'd stuggle to name me 5 better Zombie flicks than dawn 04'. And that's out of the what, thousands that have been made?

Mutineer
18-Sep-2008, 06:12 PM
:confused:
When did the girl go after a fog?I think you meant to say dog.

Don't be that guy. :|

darth los
18-Sep-2008, 06:30 PM

The question is: Do ya feel lucky... Punk!?!:shifty:

Mutineer
18-Sep-2008, 06:45 PM
Only in love. :D

Bub666
19-Sep-2008, 02:48 AM

I'am sorry.:D

clanglee
19-Sep-2008, 04:00 AM

Bass is right here y'all. I personally love the movie, but I respect other people's opinions on the movie. I don't see what they don't like. .but that's not for me to see. Just like the Land debate. Drop it. And realize people don't always share the same opinion.

Mutineer
19-Sep-2008, 07:22 PM
I respect peples opinions but find it hard pressed to accept the hate for Dawn 04. :annoyed:

darth los
24-Sep-2008, 06:54 PM
Bass is right here y'all. I personally love the movie, but I respect other people's opinions on the movie. I don't see what they don't like. .but that's not for me to see. Just like the Land debate. Drop it. And realize people don't always share the same opinion.

I think the trouble comes when people state their opinions as fact. Like dawn, 04' sucks period. I'm in the dawn 04' camp but saying that either of these movies suck is wrong because that's not the case. Are they Picassos, no. But as i stated before, aside from romero films, name 5 better undisputably ones.... STILL WAITING.

For, further clarity on the subject, lets consider the fact that there are 30% of us that actually like George W. Bush and approve of the job he's doing ( i know :hurl:) Need i say more? :cool:

Bub666
25-Sep-2008, 12:02 AM
But as i stated before, aside from romero films, name 5 better undisputably ones.... STILL WAITING.

Here's my list of 5 movies that I like better then Dawn'04.

1.Shaun Of The Dead
2.The Dead Next Door
3.Return Of The Living Dead
4.Dead Alive
5.28 Days Later

clanglee
25-Sep-2008, 12:14 AM

1.Shaun Of The Dead
2.The Dead Next Door
4.Dead Alive
5.28 Days Later

Ummmm. . . really?

darth los
25-Sep-2008, 01:33 AM

1.Shaun Of The Dead
2.The Dead Next Door
4.Dead Alive
5.28 Days Later

28 day is not a zombie film so that doesn't count although it's undoubtedly a better film. I'll also conceed shaun to you. You would have a tough time finding a consensus on the other three. I would conceed ROTLD as well, but then bassman would flame me so i'd rather not. :shifty:

I would say the other two are merely your opinion which you're entitled to by the way.:cool:

Bub666
25-Sep-2008, 02:25 AM
Ummmm. . . really?

Oh come on,The Dead Next Door was a great zombie movie.

clanglee
25-Sep-2008, 08:46 AM
It was a good bad zombie movie. Not in the same ballpark as Dawn 04.

Bub666
25-Sep-2008, 11:21 AM
It was a good bad zombie movie. Not in the same ballpark as Dawn 04.

Well I enjoyed The Dead Next Door a lot more then I did Dawn'04.

MinionZombie
25-Sep-2008, 12:06 PM
Well I enjoyed The Dead Next Door a lot more then I did Dawn'04.
Same here actually ... no bull poopy either. I also see TDND as a far more well intentioned film, and is a much more inspiring piece of filmmaking, a bunch of dudes out there with an 8mm camera, funded by proceeds from Evil Dead 2, making a properly indie flick.

Yawn04 - churned out turd from the remake factory of unoriginality and piss-poor writing.

That's my view at least...

Doc
25-Sep-2008, 12:13 PM
What about Night 90? I personally don't like it but, I always hear people say how great it is.

Bub666
25-Sep-2008, 12:18 PM
What about Night 90? I personally don't like it but, I always hear people say how great it is.

I thought Night'90 was a great movie.It stayed very true to the original,and it didn't hurt that Gar was involved with the movie either.

clanglee
25-Sep-2008, 08:20 PM
, a bunch of dudes out there with an 8mm camera, funded by proceeds from Evil Dead 2, making a properly indie flick.

I had always heard that they filmed the whole thing on Camcorder. Videotape.

I liked the movie too. But it was a no budget z-movie. Not a serious zombie movie either. Almost a spoof really.

But. . as has been said before. . opinions are like assholes.

Besides, he said undisputably better ones. While there are quite a few people that may not like Dawn 04 much. I believe you would be hard pressed to find a majority of people that like The Dead Next Door better than Dawn '04.

But as i stated before, aside from romero films, name 5 better undisputably ones.... STILL WAITING.
:

MinionZombie
25-Sep-2008, 08:40 PM
Besides, he said undisputably better ones. While there are quite a few people that may not like Dawn 04 much. I believe you would be hard pressed to find a majority of people that like The Dead Next Door better than Dawn '04.

True, but it's a minority I'm proud to be a part of. :)

Nope - TDND was definitely shot on 8mm, on the DVD it's all proven - as well as just watching the film itself, you can tell - but they talk about how some shots were damaged, and how they went about restoring the prints etc.

Now, the likes of Meat Market - that is filmed on video.

Legion2213
26-Sep-2008, 10:12 AM

I've watched that more than the original 68 version, it's a great remake IMO. Tony Todd just rules in that movie.

Neil
26-Sep-2008, 10:58 AM
I've watched that more than the original 68 version, it's a great remake IMO. Tony Todd just rules in that movie.

I love it too... The effects are amazing too! When that super skinny zombie guy is at the window, being shot, it's done so well!

Bub666
26-Sep-2008, 11:16 AM

It's the best remake of a zombie movie.

Neil
26-Sep-2008, 11:23 AM
It's the best remake of a zombie movie.

Well, there's only 3 to choose from ain't there? (really)

Bub666
26-Sep-2008, 11:33 AM
Well, there's only 3 to choose from ain't there? (really)

OK,best zombie remake so far.Is that better?Because we all know that they will eventuality remake some of the other zombie movies out there.

MinionZombie
26-Sep-2008, 12:54 PM
The only thing I REALLY REALLY REALLY didn't like was Judy Rose - I wanted to punch her, or failing that, myself in the frontal lobe for forty-seven minutes exactly, then have a break of about a minute, then repeat twice more because she was so f*cking useless, or so f*cking annoying, or so f*cking Rambette, and then so f*cking useless, crying, annoying and stupid.

Gah! When the car finally blew I was so relieved!

Kyra Schon is still the best little girl zombie though, but yes the effects were rather spiffing, if only they'd been allowed to keep more of the gore (like seen in the behind the scenes stuff, there's one headshot in particular that would have gone down very well in the movie I think).

It did feel a tad ... erm ... I duno, soft around the edges at times. There was something about it that didn't have the bollocks of Night through Day ... it's hard to explain, the best I can do is it felt a bit ... 'soft' ... still like it though.

Bub666
26-Sep-2008, 07:11 PM
The only thing I REALLY REALLY REALLY didn't like was Judy Rose - I wanted to punch her, or failing that, myself in the frontal lobe for forty-seven minutes exactly, then have a break of about a minute, then repeat twice more because she was so f*cking useless, or so f*cking annoying, or so f*cking Rambette, and then so f*cking useless, crying, annoying and stupid.

Gah! When the car finally blew I was so relieved!

I agree,she was the worse part of the whole movies.I was so happy when she died.:D

darth los
29-Sep-2008, 04:30 PM
It's funny. In the original judy was way more helpful and had more to say. Barbara was in a catatinic state for virtually the entire film. It seems as if they made judy a vessel for all that female panickyness.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Mar-2009, 09:15 PM
I disagree... I was watching it the other day, and found myself bored.. I actually fast-forwarded through large sections of it...

Silly characters doing unbelievably silly things at times... A bit silly :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, it's watchable, but it's far from a 'THE' for me...

Funny you point out contacts, consider the remake of Night, Land and Diary had zombies wearing contacts. Hell even I had to wear them when on set, and I don't see what people bitch about, that aren't that uncomfortable. I actually ate dinner wearing mine, and kept them in until Greg figured we were finished, and he took them out. I never complained, never pissed and moaned, and they looked cool. I wish I could have kept them.

I still have my zombie teeth. :D

I agree,she was the worse part of the whole movies.I was so happy when she died.:D

I am another who agrees Judy Rose was completely useless, something DAWN 04 didn't have that much of, although Dog girl was semi useless, she wasn't a main character or on screen enough to get under peoples skin until she went after the dog.

Neil
21-Mar-2009, 07:09 PM
Funny you point out contacts, consider the remake of Night, Land and Diary had zombies wearing contacts.

But there's I'm dead misty eye contacts... And then supernatural godzilla screaming super hyper dead being contacts...

capncnut
21-Mar-2009, 08:42 PM
I now refer to them as T1000 zombies.

I was watching Dawn 04 a couple of months ago and my pal starts laughing when Sarah Polley drives away from her house and her hubby, Luis, is chasing after her. He goes, "haha, it's like the bit in Terminator 2 when the T1000 is running after John Conner on the bike."

And he's right, the scenes are bang on. :lol:

Mike70
22-Mar-2009, 01:30 AM

ugh. that chick was too much. those air raid siren screams of hers were what being stabbed in the eye with an ice pick must feel like. i feel sorry for the people on that set who had to listen to that up close and personal.

MinionZombie
22-Mar-2009, 10:35 AM

I was watching Dawn 04 a couple of months ago and my pal starts laughing when Sarah Polley drives away from her house and her hubby, Luis, is chasing after her. He goes, "haha, it's like the bit in Terminator 2 when the T1000 is running after John Conner on the bike."

Somebody should take those shots and put the T2 soundtrack when the T1000 is on screen, over the top. :p

DjfunkmasterG
24-Mar-2009, 07:45 PM
Somebody should take those shots and put the T2 soundtrack when the T1000 is on screen, over the top. :p

Don't be hating on DAWN 04 because it is the better zombie film over LAND :p

MinionZombie
24-Mar-2009, 09:20 PM
Don't be hating on DAWN 04 because it is the better zombie film over LAND :p
Ugh...:rolleyes:

I'm not getting into that argument again. :p

shootemindehead
25-Mar-2009, 03:38 PM

I always thought that aspect of the "runaround" zombies ridiculous. The fact that they have the physical strength required to run at a high sprint at a consistent level, but cannont smash glass to get into the mall for the food of their choice was just too much for me.

The "runaround" zombies are just a symptom of lazy writing. It's as simple as that.

"GGGGGGGGGGGGGG Go...."

http://www.ukgameshows.com/atoz/programmes/r/runaround/runaround1.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
31-Mar-2009, 12:36 PM
I always thought that aspect of the "runaround" zombies ridiculous. The fact that they have the physical strength required to run at a high sprint at a consistent level, but cannont smash glass to get into the mall for the food of their choice was just too much for me.

The "runaround" zombies are just a symptom of lazy writing. It's as simple as that.

"GGGGGGGGGGGGGG Go...."

http://www.ukgameshows.com/atoz/programmes/r/runaround/runaround1.jpg

Keep in mind about why they couldn't smash the glass.

It is safety glass, just like in the original DAWN. Its not lazy writing, it is a vision of a writer and/or director.

SymphonicX
31-Mar-2009, 02:38 PM
2000 people going hammer and nails at safety glass wouldn't last long...no way. At least romero put the trucks behind the first row of zeds so they have no numbers - even Peter acknowledges that a number of zeds would destroy the glass eventually.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Apr-2009, 07:28 PM
Romero's universe... Snyders Universe.

I even have my own universe, which is derived from Romero's, Snyder's and O'Banon's.

shootemindehead
02-Apr-2009, 01:33 PM
2000 people going hammer and nails at safety glass wouldn't last long...no way. At least romero put the trucks behind the first row of zeds so they have no numbers - even Peter acknowledges that a number of zeds would destroy the glass eventually.

Um...exactly. And not all of the shopfronts would have reinforced glass installed.

Lazy writing. :D

Trin
02-Apr-2009, 08:55 PM
I did not realize that safety glass was different from universe to universe.

Or is it shambling safety glass vs. running safety glass? Personally, I prefer shambling safety glass because I think it provides more atmosphere whereas running safety glass is just intense with no thought or creativity. I mean, come on, it's safety glass. It's supposed to be slow!!

clanglee
02-Apr-2009, 09:13 PM

Or is it shambling safety glass vs. running safety glass? Personally, I prefer shambling safety glass because I think it provides more atmosphere whereas running safety glass is just intense with no thought or creativity. I mean, come on, it's safety glass. It's supposed to be slow!!

:lol:

Good stuff Trin

I thought that it was implied in the movie that they had closed some steel shutters or something over the doors. They just never showed it. . . .hmmm. . I'll have to watch again.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Apr-2009, 10:43 PM

Well I prefer running safety glass, even in a shambler universe, because now you have a better quality safety glass. :D

Just think, had Romero put in Runner Safety glass at Fiddlers Green, Big Daddy D wouldn't have been able to get in and the citizens would have been safe.

Trin
03-Apr-2009, 02:28 PM
Well I prefer running safety glass, even in a shambler universe, because now you have a better quality safety glass. :D
Pretty soon the safety glass is thinking for itself and then it's not so safe anymore is it? Yeah, who is the monster now? Us or them?

Just think, had Romero put in Runner Safety glass at Fiddlers Green, Big Daddy D wouldn't have been able to get in and the citizens would have been safe.Good point. I was always irritated that the Green was so defenseless yet Mulligan couldn't topple the untouchable Kaufman. I know - no need to remind me - they were ignoring the problem. :annoyed:

Plan to topple Kaufman
Step 1: Get assigned to the jackhammer crew
Step 2: Get a longer extension cord

Phenia Films
03-Apr-2009, 02:38 PM
not to sure id say 'Dawn' 2004 ROCKS..its ok
the first 10 minutes, no doubt one of the best 10min in horror in a long time.
But the film ends up falling on its face in the long run..

hate fast moving Zombies/Ghouls anyway..although it only worked in this one

Tom Savini's 'Night' was much better than 'Dawn 04' easy..

bassman
03-Apr-2009, 02:41 PM
:lol:

This safety glass discussion is cracking me up.

I guess the green didn't need safety glass if the army was protecting the outskirts of the city. Remind me who Mulligan is again.:shifty:

As for the glass on the mall in Dawn04....why would it be safety glass/bulletproof, anyway? I imagine that stuff isn't cheap and most malls would just use regular glass.

And on a side note....the official sequel to Dawn04 is in production......

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/113/362845350_7c0eb66e2d.jpg?v=0

Trin
03-Apr-2009, 03:31 PM
I guess the green didn't need safety glass if the army was protecting the outskirts of the city. Remind me who Mulligan is again.:shifty:Mulligan was the dude on the street with the sick kid. He was on his soapbox preaching about bringing down Kaufman. He tried to goad Riley into joing the resistance against Kaufman.

He was later seen arrested and we learn that Slack was working for him, which is why she was arrested.

At the end he was the guy who tried to get Riley to stay and make the Green what they'd always wanted it to be.

I also thought he looked like Ed Bundy from Married with Children.

MinionZombie
03-Apr-2009, 04:54 PM
I also thought he looked like Ed Bundy from Married with Children.

Al Bundy ... played by Ed O'Neill. :)

Hooray for Land! It's not perfect, but damnit, I like it. :cool:

Trin
03-Apr-2009, 05:31 PM
Al Bundy ... played by Ed O'Neill. :)

Hooray for Land! It's not perfect, but damnit, I like it. :cool:Proving once again my utter detail for attention lack. :p

SymphonicX
03-Apr-2009, 05:38 PM
Right, end of the safety glass discussion:

Big Daddy breaks safety glass with drill = weak
Peter scared of numerous zeds breaking safety glass = weak
2000 zombies pushed up against and beating on safety glass consistently for an indeterminable period of time = stupid.

darth los
03-Apr-2009, 06:25 PM
Speaking of safety glass, how do we know that it was really shatterproof? I mean, all we have is andre's word to go on and he had just shown up at the mall 5 minutes earlier. It seems as if he made that statement based on his observation of a single ghoul banging away at the window which is hardly conclusive.

A statement like that would have held more weight if C.J. or one of his bitches would have said it. They would have been much more familiar with the layout of the mall and thus the composition of the glass.

:cool:

Trin
03-Apr-2009, 08:54 PM
A statement like that would have held more weight if C.J. or one of his bitches would have said it. They would have been much more familiar with the layout of the mall and thus the composition of the glass.I don't know man. CJ and crew seemed pretty clueless. I'd think that perhaps the head of mall security might know those kinds of details, but those guys seemed like the lowest ones on the totem pole.

Didn't Andre admit to having a criminal record? Do we know what crimes he'd committed? It's possible in his nefarious past he'd gained some insight on breaking-and-entering.

My personal opinion is that neither Andre nor the rent-a-cops had any basis to know that kind of detail. No more than I could look at my office window and know whether a chair thrown at it would break it or bounce off, and I've looked at that window daily for 5 years. (and now I want very badly to try to throw my chair through it)

What about Kenneth? Would a cop familiar with the area know the mall's security well enough to know its vulnerability to a person or group of people attempting to break the glass and get in?

zombiekiller
07-Jan-2010, 07:23 PM

i liked the first 10 minutes of the movie the best.

Andy
07-Jan-2010, 07:43 PM
i liked the first 10 minutes of the movie the best.

Dont raise a topic thats had no responses for nearly a year to pad out your postcount.

It annoys me.