PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast at the Manchester Morgue:

Dawg
01-Mar-2006, 11:19 PM
Anyone see it?

I read about it again in this 'Splatter Movies vol.2' book I have and I believe it was made in 1972-1974 or something and it is suppose to be similar to NOTLD but set in a morgue/hospital or maybe mortuary?

I have a book somewhere that shows some pics of a man with a cloth around his nether region, a bandage wrapped around his head and an autopsy scar on his chest. I believe it had some guy trying to hack him with an axe. Is this the same movie?

:dead: Dawg

Tri0xin
01-Mar-2006, 11:46 PM
It's okay. But there's only a couple of zombies on screen at any given time.

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2006, 10:31 AM
Breakfast?

"Living Dead At Manchester Morgue" you mean, hehe.

Aye, I have the DVD, it's a pretty good film actually, especially for a relatively early 'post Night' zombie flick - I really enjoyed it. Not a ton of zombies, but a number, it's well made and has that Euro-zombie charm to it, I say check it out.

a1150
03-Mar-2006, 11:22 AM
It's not a bad film, definatley one of the better non Romero ones. The zombies look quite good and the gore is pretty for decent for the time it came out as well.

Phildogger
03-Mar-2006, 01:29 PM
agreed, great flick!

Dawg
04-Mar-2006, 10:06 PM
Yes, "Breakfast" was the title listed in this book I have, honestly! Weird, I know, but that is what is listed.

Look here at the Internet Movie Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071431/

Scroll down to the ALSO KNOWN AS section and it is the very first one.

Dawg

dmbfanintn
04-Mar-2006, 10:38 PM
I've heard it called "Breakfast" before as well!

MinionZombie
05-Mar-2006, 10:53 AM
Now that is weird, I knew it had a whole bunch of names (like "Don't Open The Window"...which has got what to do with the flick? lol), but never "Breakfast".

Burbank
06-Mar-2006, 04:30 PM
The film with a dozen names!

Also know as:

Breakfast at the Manchester Morgue
Don't Open the Window
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Sleeping Corpses Lie
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue

Most of which make some sort of sense other than "Don't Open the Window".

It's quite an enjoyable zombie movie, there are only a small amount of zombies but it's set in rural England in the 70's so it's not like they've got a dozen guns just hanging about.

Plus, the lead actor looks like me dad in the 70s.

MoonSylver
06-Mar-2006, 11:54 PM
Most of which make some sort of sense other than "Don't Open the Window".

Trying to cash in on the "Don't Do This-or-That" phase of the era;)

As for the multiple titles, seems like a lot of the european zombie flicks had this same problem as they went through different countrys & distributers, no doubt in part to try & trick folks into seeing the same movies thinking they were something different;)

MaximusIncredulous
08-Apr-2006, 03:10 AM
Here's a site in Russian that has some pics of this flick:

http://www.cult-cinema.ru/reviews/l/let_sleeping_corpses_lie/

and a DVD review:

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/I-L/let_sleeping_corpses_es.html

MKULTRA1138
08-Apr-2006, 04:21 AM
I have a bootleg of this called Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. I bought it a few years before Anchor Bay released their version of it. It's not a bad zombie flick at all!

Zombie-A-GoGo
08-Apr-2006, 02:41 PM
This is one of my favorite zombie flicks. :dead:

Shemp
08-Apr-2006, 04:43 PM
I always feel compelled to chime in on the subject of this film. It's an overlooked classic. Atmospheric, suspenseful, and with a few high-impact gore scenes (courtesy of Gianetto de Rossi) including a great chest-ripping/eye-gouging feeding scene. My opinion: Gratuitous gore, in moderation and in the context of a well-produced film like this one always carries more impact than when gore is over-used (or used merely for it's own sake) in a poorly produced film.

More good points: A very listenable jazz-funk score by Italian maestro Guiliano Sorginini; a bit of random female nudity and kinky sexual sub-plot, new-born babies that bite, great location photography (English countryside) and the general anti-authority/pro-environment themes that were so pervasive in 70's exploitation films. Much of the film crew was Italian, though director Jorge Grau is Spanish, by the way.

Try to get the Anchor Bay release, as many of the previous releases are cut.

Danny
09-Apr-2006, 01:55 AM
its on the horror channel all the time, but i usually have more entertaining stuff to do than watch the horror channel, like smacking nails into my head with a garden hoe.

'cept those leprechaun films, there funking awesome.

"a freind with weed is a freind indeed, but a freind with gold is the best im told"

"rise ,rise me zombie fly girls"

so cheesy but damn entertaining.