PDA

View Full Version : Any D&D players on here?

MoonSylver
09-Sep-2008, 06:02 AM
or any other RPG for that matter?

Just curious.

Chic Freak
09-Sep-2008, 10:51 AM
Eeh, I used to play D&D with my dad when I was little :D

He used to go to "playgroup" one evening a week when I was five or so... it was only when I got a bit older that I found out that what my mother meant by "playgroup" was that he'd gone to play D&D with his other nerdy friends :)

He also got my brother and I a sort of watered-down version that would be easier for young children to play... I think it may have been called Cities of Gold? Or Adventure? Or Quests? Or... something?

I really want to go and get that out now, I wonder if I still have it. I know we still have a bunch of those ten-sided dice because I found them in the attic the other day.

Kaos
09-Sep-2008, 11:49 AM
Preparing my first 4th Edition D&D Campaign now. I've played for years.

Bub666
09-Sep-2008, 11:52 AM
I used to play D&D in high school.I haven't played in a long time.

Neil
09-Sep-2008, 12:22 PM
I always loved the idea of it (& Traveller) but never really played it properly. I had manuals and magazines etc etc, but never really played it...

Skippy911sc
09-Sep-2008, 02:06 PM
I still have my old D&D stuff...don't play anymore but used to in grade school and Jr. High.

Neil
09-Sep-2008, 02:11 PM
I still have my old D&D stuff...don't play anymore but used to in grade school and Jr. High.

Sold my manuals (D&D & Traveller) a while ago on EBay for a surprisingly high amount!

Mike70
09-Sep-2008, 02:35 PM
i haven't played in eons but still have all the stuff.

my son likes to thumb through the monsters manuals with me. that is about all i use them for now.

Neil
09-Sep-2008, 02:43 PM
i haven't played in eons but still have all the stuff.

my son likes to thumb through the monsters manuals with me. that is about all i use them for now.

Have a look at ebay :) The early manuals seem to sell well :)

AcesandEights
09-Sep-2008, 02:48 PM
AD&D, D&D (updated editions), Call of Cthulhu (Classic & Delta Green), White Wolf's Storyteller system (VtM, Mage etc.) and a few others, in my time. I still, semi-actively thumb through my CoC stuff and wish I could get a regular group of like-minded RPers together.

Oh, well...someday I'll have offspring I can inflict this hobby upon. If I can't find the perfect group to campaign with, I'll breed one :)

Neil
09-Sep-2008, 02:58 PM
Oh, well...someday I'll have offspring I can inflict this hobby upon. If I can't find the perfect group to campaign with, I'll breed one :)

Sorry! Computers have taken over now!

AcesandEights
09-Sep-2008, 03:02 PM

You mean Homework Machines, as they'll be known in my household? ;)

Danny
09-Sep-2008, 03:36 PM
never played the main one, but ripoffs like heroquest and stuff sure, ive been looking into 4th edition since i was filming for a games emporium on there games nights and saw 25 people playing a game of it.

Chic Freak
09-Sep-2008, 05:04 PM
Call of Cthulhu

Isn't that a song by Cradle of Filth? :confused:

I've got the proper D&D horn now. I need to ask my dad where he's stored all his old stuff :D

mista_mo
09-Sep-2008, 05:15 PM
i have a bunch of manuals from 2nd, 3rd, and 3.5 edition..played a few times, loved it, but no one plays around here..

I wanna take it out for a spin sometime again...

MoonSylver
10-Sep-2008, 05:01 AM
Wow, glad to see so many replies. Thought I might roundly drubbed for such a question.:lol:

I was surprised to find a whole "retro-clone" movement online recently, that is dedicated to re-releasing all of the old school D&D rules sets under the Open Game License for the purpose of being able to produce new material for old school games.

My favorite was always Basic D&D just for the simplicity & ease of play. There is a darn good version back out now called Labyrinth Lord that pretty faithfully reproduces the Tom Moldvay Basic & Expert sets in one volume, slighly tweaked & expanded. You can DL the PDF free or buy a soft/hardcover for $17/$27. It really charmed me w/ its retro old school vibe & it's quite well done. I like the fact you've got every thing you need in one book, around 135 pg or so. & under $30 too. I still have all my old stuff but I'm still going to get a copy as soon as I can afford it.

Check it out here if interested:

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm

There are a boatload of others apparently such as OSRIC, Basic Fantasy Adventure, Lejendary Adventures, Castles & Crusades & maybe others, but I don't know much about them

:rant: :annoyed: :mad:

Sorry, no substitute for the imagination. ;)

never played the main one, but ripoffs like heroquest

Heroquest rules. Warhammer Quest (which was Games Workshops bog ol' mega deluxed version thereof) is awesome too.

clanglee
17-Sep-2008, 06:17 AM
How did I miss this thread? :eek:
I've been playing AD&D since I was like 10 or 11. My uncle got me into it when I was a kid. I still play. As a matter of fact, we just ended a campaign that has ben going on for 8 years. Basicly playing once a month. It's more difficult to get everyone together when we have to deal with real life.

Anyways, I've played AD&D 1st and 2nd edition (2nd being the game of choice with my group) I've dabbled in 3rd edition as well. We also have a regular game of Blood of Heroes(formerly DC Heroes), a super Hero roleplaying game. I'm also currently trying to work up a campaign of All Flesh Must Be Eaten, a zombie game that seems fun. .just gotta find the time to GM it. In the past I've played Paranoia, ShadowRun, CyberPunk, GURPS, and a few others. I'm a BIG dork from WAY back!!

Preparing my first 4th Edition D&D Campaign now. I've played for years.

I've been looking at the book for this recently. I dunno. . quite a departure from what I'm used to. It looks like they are trying to WOW (WorldofWarcraft) it up. Not a terrible thing, but seems more combat oriented and less about the roleplaying. Meh :|

No sweetie. . . . It may be, but it comes from the world of the wonderful writer H.P. Lovecraft. Call of Cthulhu is the name of one of his stories, and the name of a roleplaying game based on the Cthulhu mythos. I'll forgive you this time, but the Elder Gods may not be so forgiving!!!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/284783935_941b0c4837.jpg?v=0

AcesandEights
17-Sep-2008, 02:53 PM
the Elder Gods may not be so forgiving!!!!

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu f'tagn! http://www.differentelephant.com/gallery/d/1055-2/emot-cthulhu.gif

MoonSylver
17-Sep-2008, 10:37 PM
It's more difficult to get everyone together when we have to deal with real life.

Tell me about it. :( That's why I quit RPG's for so long & switched more to boardgames that still had a RPG feel to them. Current favorite: Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game.

We also have a regular game of Blood of Heroes(formerly DC Heroes), a super Hero roleplaying game.

I still have that in the DC Heroes version. Impressive system. I always liked how they handled the scaling from Joe Average to Superman all in one system.

Champions was my supers RPG of choice back in the day. It was what seduced me away from D&D to begin with. The earlier versions were quite good, but it's WAY too crunchy now for a guy like me w/a family & limited time.

If I WAS to run a supers RPG now I would probably use the old Marvel Heroes system from TSR, which I also played a lot back in the day. It's very rules lite & flavorful & colorful, but easy to teach & run & very open ended. Which is the same reasons I'm attracted back to Classic D&D now. I've come full circle & fully believe that less can be more now.

I'm also currently trying to work up a campaign of All Flesh Must Be Eaten, a zombie game that seems fun.

I've had that since the 1st ed & never had a chance to play it yet. It seems quite good, but maybe a tad rules heavy (see comments above)

I'm a BIG dork from WAY back!!

You too huh? :D

clanglee
17-Sep-2008, 10:59 PM
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu f'tagn! http://www.differentelephant.com/gallery/d/1055-2/emot-cthulhu.gif

:lol: :lol:

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange æons even death may die

You too huh? :D

Oh yes indeed!!!
:))

Danny
17-Sep-2008, 11:06 PM

I've got the proper D&D horn now. I need to ask my dad where he's stored all his old stuff :D

go check out hp lovecraft right now.

slight insane ravings and racism aside the dude could build terror like no other.