PDA

View Full Version : Going to See Cheech and Chong tonight

DjfunkmasterG
13-Sep-2008, 07:28 PM
They are in DC at the WARNER theater and I am excited as I never have seen these guys lives before. Will post my thoughts when I get home tomorrow.

Dj.

capncnut
13-Sep-2008, 08:13 PM
Aw man, I wish I was going. I want full skit lowdown, Deej. :)

bassman
13-Sep-2008, 08:16 PM
When I saw the promo for the tour I thought their jokes were kinda "meh". But that was of course just the promo. I'm sure the show will be better.

Makes sure to burn one before the show and let us know how it turns out!:D

DjfunkmasterG
14-Sep-2008, 04:17 PM
Ok, so here is my blow by blow about my night with Cheech and Chong. Met up with some friends to carpool into DC, now although I live closer I opted to meet at their house to forego having to drive or even train into the city. By 8:30 we left and began our journey into the Abyss of DC.

The smoke was flowing, the lungs were filling, and the coughing was reaching levels not even lung cancer patients have to deal with, after 30 minutes of a van filled with cannabis smoke you could have gotten a contact buzz just sitting in on the trip.

We arrived at the Warneer theater and I began to get a little paranoid because I was afriad I would run into someone from work just partying in the area. I wasn't worried if they were at the show because that tells me they indulge so they can't old anything over my head. Once I realized we were parking in the Warner Theater garage my paranoia gave way to a sudden peace overcoming my body. I haven't felt that relaxed in a long long time.

We proceeded into the building and the smell of cannabis and the look of bloodshot eyes filled 99% of the guests coming to see the show. The t-shirt stand was packed, the bar crowded, and the munchie stand, yep they had a stand selling brownies, M&M's, and fun-yuns, was depleting its inventory rapidly. After chilling in the lobby and grabbing a coke we entered the auditorium and took our seats. We were about 50-60 feets away from the stage so we have good seats on the lower level. It was 9:45 and the show was to begin at 10:00pm.

10:15 and things began to roll. Shelby Chong, Tommy's wife open the show with 15 minutes of stand-up, a very attractive older woman, who talked about Tommy's jail time, her 9 months without him, and some bad acid flashbacks she had just that afternoon. The crowd was roaring with laughter, and she was tuning everyone up for the arrival of Cheech and Chong.

The lights dimmed and the sound of Low Rider began filling the auditorium, suddenly Cheech appears and begins skit #1, which I will refer to as "The Hitchhiker". This is an older skit, but immediately got the crowd fired up. This skit was actually in one of the films, and the name of the film is escaping me at the moment, but the vibe and comedy timing was right on time. They both fell into their old ways like they haven't been apart for years. when it was all said and done, the crowd gave them plenty of cheers and applause, especially when they began smoking the Dog Turd joint.

The skit trnasformed into 5 minutes of stand up by Tommy, talking about life in Jail, and accidently getting his cat high. It seems during his normal daily session, the cat never left the room, and after an hour of Tommy smoking up and The cat suddenly emerged and according to Tommy just wasn't acting like his normal self. Tommy went on to say the experience has made it easier to find the cat when it runs off outdoors, because all he has to do is making the sound of a bong bubbling and the cat comes running from where ever it is hiding.

That stand up bit led into another classic... Let's Make A Dope Deal, the same routine heard countless times on the albums, but still as funny as the first time you heard it. Tommy played Bob the contestant and of Course Cheech the host. Once that completed, they immediately went into Ralph and Herbie, the two neighborhood dogs, just sharing their daily thoughts on life, besides humping whatever bitch comes in their path they began talking politics, McCain vs Obama, this proceeded into a funny bit of comparing the two parties, of course the Republicans were lambasted, but the crowd enjoyed it and that led into Tommy and Cheech talking politics and encouragin the audience to make sure they vote come november. I felt like I was at a pep rally for Obama as that seems to be who they both endorse.

Now the heat in the theater was becoming unbearable because our temp and humidity in DC this weekend was high 90's on both sides. So my friend Chris and I stepped out for a sec to get something to drink then we decided to have a smoke. We missed out on the Pink Tutu skit and some additional stand-up by Chong. When we returned they began the musical part of the show, in which we had the Country Singer skit and The Bluesman skit. Chong took stage with his guitar singing a blues song about g4etting a blow job, which I thought was ok funny, but the crowd really got into, this led into the finale of Born in East LA, Beaners, and Mexican-Americans.

When it was all said and done, they both received standing ovations as well as telling the crowd how much they missed being together, and Tommy believed it was the times the country is in right is the reason they needed to get back out there to show people you have to relax and enjoy life, not worry about every little thing. The message was loud and clear and this is exactly what people did.

At the end they posed for some pictures taken by the audience and they left the stage. All in all it was a very entertaining night out and it gave us something to hold us over until the Cheech & Chong movie gets rolling which shoul dbe ou tin 2009.

axlish
14-Sep-2008, 04:23 PM
Sounds awesome, I hope they come to my neck of the woods.

capncnut
14-Sep-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for that, Deej. Sounds like it was a cracking evening all round.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Sep-2008, 11:25 PM
It was a good time. Definitely worth checking out

Yojimbo
22-Sep-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks DJ, you rule for putting that post up. I am so envious that you got to see the dudes. I was hoping that they are planning to do a Los Angeles show, and now even more so.

Cheers, brother!