PDA

View Full Version : Why was the Sept 11th thread locked?

Eyebiter
15-Sep-2008, 12:02 PM
Just because Kaos doesn't like the thread he locks it?
http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=11721

capncnut
15-Sep-2008, 12:48 PM
Kaos closed the thread as he considered some of the comments to be conspiracist and inane, which he also removed before locking.

Also as the thread starter, he has every right to lock/remove it as he sees fit. Especially if he feels that the discussion has run it's course.

Andy
15-Sep-2008, 09:49 PM
As capn has already said, kaos removed a few posts from the topic which i would consider nonsense posts aswell. Also, we do allow any thread creator the option to contact a member of staff to have their own topics closed if they feel it has run its course, and finally, to quote the rules:

The HPotD Staff reserve the right to add to, modify, move, delete, merge or split any thread/post without notice.

mista_mo
16-Sep-2008, 01:05 PM
The HPotD Staff reserve the right to add to, modify, move, delete, merge or split any thread/post without notice.

so a mod can edit and change the text in a post for any reason whatsoever?

Even if the post is harmless and the mod who edited it writes something rude and nasty about the original poster? Not referring to the 9/11 thread, but it has happened to me before.

Kaos
16-Sep-2008, 07:00 PM
If you had an issue with a mod's action this would not be the place to resolve the issue. The procedure would be to first take to the Moderator via PM, if that were fruitless (based on whatever outcomes are to be accomplished), then you would PM the issue to Neil. He would have final dispensation over any issue here. Hope this helps.

MinionZombie
16-Sep-2008, 09:17 PM
And even though we mods/admins have the ability to do anything with a post we 'like', we don't - we only do what is deemed suitable as per the rules.

Also, importantly - as Kaos is the thread originator, he can close it if he wants for whatever reason he wants - just like ANY member of HPOTD can request a thread to be closed, that they have originated ... but once closed, it stays closed.

At the very least, speaking for myself, I wouldn't play games in people's messages.

Anyway, I'm off to watch more Californication, laters.

Danny
16-Sep-2008, 10:13 PM
well i dont think it should have been closed just for a little whackjob banter, since he made it then its his say in this case.

Andy
16-Sep-2008, 10:23 PM
so a mod can edit and change the text in a post for any reason whatsoever?

Even if the post is harmless and the mod who edited it writes something rude and nasty about the original poster? Not referring to the 9/11 thread, but it has happened to me before.
All the moderators here are in their positions because both me and Neil trust them 100% and dont believe things like this would happen.

But if a member did feel that a post had been edited by a moderator in this way, they could contact myself or neil to look into it, the forums keeps a comprehensive log of all edit's made to all posts which only me and Neil can access, so such a issue would be easy to track down. :)