PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 Announced at E3

AcesandEights
09-May-2006, 10:58 PM
Here is the article, and the links to the mucho bueno trailer.

Bungie Shocks World with Surprise Game Announcement

Bungie announces Halo 3, the third and final game in the Halo Trilogy. Halo 3 will be released for Microsoft's Xbox 360 in 2007.

The game was revealed to the world at the Microsoft press conference at Grauman's Chinese Theater, in Hollywood, CA. By the time you read this, the announcement trailer should be available for download on bungie.net and directly to your Xbox 360, in full HD glory from Xbox Live Marketplace. Read no further if you want to avoid spoilers.

Nobody saw it coming. Halo 3! Who knew? For the last year or two, people have speculated about what our next project was and surprisingly, in all that time, not a single person guessed that it would be Halo 3. Not one.

We declare it the best kept secret ever.

Seriously though, it's been a chore biting our tongues on this one. Call it a combination of studio secrecy, corporate secrecy, Bill Gates already announcing it four times and, you know, whatever.

We won't ruin the content of our short presentation by describing it frame by frame, but we will note that everything you're seeing here is being rendered in real-time on the Xbox 360, using the current version of our Halo 3 game engine. The HDR lighting, self-shadowing, GPU-run particle system and many other effects should make it intact (and more) to our final game.

We demonstrated the real-time nature of the demo after the press conference (thanks to our friends at Pioneer with awesome audio-video assistance) to a small group of reporters, so we'll wait and see what their judgment on the presentation was, but you should feel free to make your own.

The trailer was built to have minimum impact on the development process, and while it required long hours and hard work from many, many Bungie staffers, it utilizes real-game assets, fiction and locations from parts of the "real" game.

In fact, it's the stuff it doesn't contain that gives it a strange kind of context. You can see how detailed the Chief is, but that detail applies to our other, unseen, unrevealed characters, vehicles, environment and so on. There's no AI visible in the demo, no multiplayer, and the entire thing has been left deliberately subdued both to give scale to the artifact and because this is our announcement. The real stuff will come later.

Fans of Halo fiction will be able to guess at a vast array of possibilities, even from this short piece, and discuss them in our newly launched Halo 3 Forum. For those new to the series, we'll make every effort to bring you up to speed on the story in forthcoming Bungie.net updates. We'll also be resurrecting the true purpose of the Update-proper - a weekly diary on the progress of the game that has been stymied recently, by the absence of (reveal-able) information.

Of course the trailer itself is a teaser - with no multiplayer, a single Earth-based locale, none of our sweet new AI or gameplay technologies. No physics to speak of, no new features other than a sneak peek at the graphics and audio engines…but the other stuff is there, and we'll reveal more as time goes on.

CJ Cowan, Bungie's director of cinematics discussed one of the most startling moments in the piece, the return of Cortana, "Given the variety of character and story arcs at the end of Halo 2, we wanted to boil down our announcement to a few key threads. Cortana and the Chief being a galaxy apart is a situation we haven't seen before, and is something that is a powerful component to Halo 3. We are using her transmissions in the demo to give the viewer a few subtle clues to her situation and state of mind, without revealing any specifics we want to save for the game itself."

The Cortana reveal is the first evidence that this trailer might be for Halo 3, but the game's main protagonist is the item that seals that deal. CJ explains, "It is the Chief, back on a devastated and Covenant controlled Earth, standing over the excavation of a structure buried in the crust of our own planet that is the meat of our demo."

"The questions raised by these images, and the feeling that our assumptions about the Halo universe are being challenged this late in the story is what I am personally most excited about leaving with our fans. That's the type of thing that builds anticipation even more for the payoff to this trilogy we are preparing."

CJ's long nights are far from over. Cinematics are going to be as vital a part of Halo 3 as they were in Halo 2 and Halo: Combat Evolved. As before, they will use the game engine to keep the player feeling like a part of the action.

Graphically, the game follows closely in the tradition of Halo 2, although obviously upgraded to take advantage of the Xbox 360's more prodigious visual abilities. As art director Marcus Lehto explains, "It was intended to be an understated announce of Halo 3 - the tone is that of mystery and suspense – the calm before the storm. I wanted to make sure that we re-introduced the Chief, show that Earth is thoroughly conquered, with Covenant everywhere, and that there is a glorious, ancient artifact buried under the Earth’s crust which will provide H3 with the epic journey which we all want."

Asked about the battered state of the Chief's armor, Marcus ventured, "The Chief is shown as warrior who has seen horrific battle – and it shows. The Earth is dry, barren, ravaged by the Covenant."

Grim stuff, but then things were grim at the end of Halo 2 when we left the Chief and the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance. A cliffhanger about which we received over twenty emails... cough.

Marty O'Donnell's music will no doubt be heard over and over again. We can relate. The Studio has been thundering with the brass and bass of the trailer music for weeks.

Marty hired a 60 piece orchestra and a 24 piece choir to record the trailer music. "I want the viewer to have a feeling of anticipation and wonder for the first fifty seconds or so, up until Master Chief is revealed and they realize that it’s Cortana trying to tell them something," he says.

Marty's music was designed from the ground up to lull the listener into a sense of doubt, then wonder. "I want them to feel pride and longing the moment Master Chief walks out of the smoke," says Marty. "I want them to get excited and perhaps even froth at the mouth when they see the Covenant Capital ship and then the incredible buried artifact. I want them to be left with that, 'I can hardly wait to play this game' feeling by the end with a slight, 'I wonder what she meant by that' aftertaste."

As to the unmistakable new trumpety note, Marty is perfectly blunt. "The first time the world sees this trailer is at a live Microsoft press event in the Chinese Theater in LA. It is the first time we announce officially that Bungie is making Halo 3. My thought is that since it is an announcement event that is full of pomp and gravity, music will contain a fanfare and be somewhat over the top. I want there to be no doubt in anyone’s mind when it is the right moment to applaud and scream. I hope they do, anyway."

And we hope you enjoy it too. We'll keep you posted on more developments as the game progresses and look forward to more Halo 3 related goodies in the near future.

Your pals,

Bungie Studios.
Small quicktime Trailer: Here. (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/3/5b3d8532-65bc-4bf6-b5ea-6ba0f2084d74/h3_e32006_announce_small.mov)
Larger Windows Media Trailer: Here. (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/3/5b3d8532-65bc-4bf6-b5ea-6ba0f2084d74/h3_e32006_announce_large.wmv)

dmbfanintn
09-May-2006, 11:08 PM
WOO HOO!!!!!

Now I can justify buying a 360!!

We've been waiting on this one, also can't wait for the movie.

Bunker65
09-May-2006, 11:57 PM
I didn't need Halo 3 to justify buying a 360 in December. This is just icing on the cake for me :D.

zombie04
10-May-2006, 01:06 AM
so is there going to be a promotional tie-in with the movie?

Danny
10-May-2006, 12:50 PM
*drools like a mountain man with rabies*:cool:

p2501
10-May-2006, 02:01 PM
Oh My God.

That kicked ass on a Level i can only define as "Biblical".

Danny
10-May-2006, 02:10 PM
daaaamn straight.

dmbfanintn
10-May-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah baby, that trailer was phuckin sweet!

All the cinematics in it were rendered from the actual game engine. If you have an HD TV, that is what your gameplay will look like.

I can't wait to see where they are taking the story line. I was highly disappointed with the ending of H2. It looks as though this will be the final game. I was under the impression that the story had been left open for many games because of the hinting of 7 holy rings. We have only seen two of them, one in each game.

I suspect that we will not see ANY holy rings in this game. If you remember from the end of H2, the arbitor and chief were going to earth to look for the arc. this was supposedly a forerunner installation that was capable of activating all of the holy rings simutaneously.

I believe this game will center on the fight, on earth, to gain control of the arc, with the covenant almost activating it and the chief saving the day right at the very last second. OR, maybe he doesn't save the day!

In the trailer, the voice over says "this is how the world will end"

Question for all you Halo geeks, how many of you had the hairs on your neck and arms stand up when you were watching that trailer?

When the chief came strolling out of the smoke, oh boy, I was juiced!

Did you notice what weapon he was carrying? the old assault rifle from H1. I personally prefer the new battle rifle, but the fully auto assault rifle was pretty cool, maybe we will get them both!

CAN"T WAIT!!!!!

bassman
10-May-2006, 02:14 PM
I honestly wasn't that impressed with Halo 2. It didn't seem to be anything much better than the first.

Then again, I also started to kind of grow out of video games around that time...

dmbfanintn
10-May-2006, 02:21 PM
I honestly wasn't that impressed with Halo 2. It didn't seem to be anything much better than the first.

Then again, I also started to kind of grow out of video games around that time...

Agreed, I played the campaign once!

But we have been playing online multiplayer for a year and a half now and it never gets old.

I literally play halo2 online everyday! I have to have my daily fix of blowing the sheet out of muther phukers! I imagine that my opponents are my boss and co-workers.

It's very theraputic!:D :D

p2501
10-May-2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah baby, that trailer was phuckin sweet!

All the cinematics in it were rendered from the actual game engine. If you have an HD TV, that is what your gameplay will look like.

I can't wait to see where they are taking the story line. I was highly disappointed with the ending of H2. It looks as though this will be the final game. I was under the impression that the story had been left open for many games because of the hinting of 7 holy rings. We have only seen two of them, one in each game.

I suspect that we will not see ANY holy rings in this game. If you remember from the end of H2, the arbitor and chief were going to earth to look for the arc. this was supposedly a forerunner installation that was capable of activating all of the holy rings simutaneously.

I believe this game will center on the fight, on earth, to gain control of the arc, with the covenant almost activating it and the chief saving the day right at the very last second. OR, maybe he doesn't save the day!

In the trailer, the voice over says "this is how the world will end"

Question for all you Halo geeks, how many of you had the hairs on your neck and arms stand up when you were watching that trailer?

When the chief came strolling out of the smoke, oh boy, I was juiced!

Did you notice what weapon he was carrying? the old assault rifle from H1. I personally prefer the new battle rifle, but the fully auto assault rifle was pretty cool, maybe we will get them both!

CAN"T WAIT!!!!!

I dorked out and had a full on OOOHH RAHH moment when "finish the fight" came up at the end.

From wheat i've read this morning, this game wraps up the events started in Halo CE. that's it. the series is still left open for further exploration. but the covenant/human war is done with in this episode.

i do have to say i'm glab the M1AB rifle is back. i missed my compact bullet hose. i consistnatly got my asskicked in halo2 during room clearings due to the lack of that weapon.

As for the plot. i think were bieng fed a line, in regards to the earth being under covenant control. i could be entirely wrong mind you. but the debris the video open with look like the fallen left overs from the space lift in New Mombasa. like wise at the end of the video if you look to the horizon you can see a still standing city that is in no way ruins.

Also the banshees and phantom group make no effort to attack the chief, nor does he try to cover himself from them. i think the video is showing us the remians of the covenant flee, operating under the control of the Arbiter.

I suspect chapter one of h3 will be a speedball run through the forerunner ship to kill the prophet of truth. after that it's ****ing fuill tilt boogie. i would image the game goes "24" in that there is a set window that needs to be breached in order to prevent the other Halos with are now powered and on standby to fire mode, from deploying. the artifact we're seeing could be the Arc issuing a "stand down" order to the halos.

I think the primary fight in H3 is going to be against the flood, the gravemind led flood fleet, and possibly a grave mind contaminated Cortana.

mark my words, this thing is going to kick ass in everyway imaginable.

2007 cannot get here fast enough.

also the new theme, how ****ing Iconic is that!

dmbfanintn
10-May-2006, 02:46 PM
I dorked out and had a full on OOOHH RAHH moment when "finish the fight" came up at the end.

Mee too!!!

I think the primary fight in H3 is going to be against the flood, the gravemind led flood fleet, and possibly a grave mind contaminated Cortana.

mark my words, this thing is going to kick ass in everyway imaginable.

2007 cannot get here fast enough.

I hadn't thought about that, but that is a kick ass idea! gravemind infected Cortana.

That's right, at the end of H2 you leave Cortana in the network before you head back toward earth on the Covvie ship.

"Chief, you mind telling me what your doing on that vessel?"

"Sir, finishing this fight!"

DUM dum dum dum dum dum, Dum dum dum dum dum,

DA DA DA, da da da da da, da da da, da da da, da da dum dum dum.

Danny
10-May-2006, 03:05 PM
im gonna go play through both halo games right now, but you should hear some of the rumors:

1:the ark is noahs ark and the humans are all thats left of the forerunners thats why guilty spark seems to recognise master cheif and calls him a "reclaimer" and at the end of halo 2 only a human can activate a halo instilation.

okay that all sounds resonable enough.

2:the ark was created by a forerunner called no-ah to protect a forerunner type race of apes from "the great flood", eh?, eh?

calling the flood the...err....flood is odd but imaginative but there are wiereder ones. some involving time travel but heres the wierdest.

3:the final boss is cortana she used the gravemind and the flood combined with the machinery on high charity to create a spartan like body to fight master cheif.

now i DO think cortanas gone nuts ,but i DONT see any reason why she would want to kill the chief she decided to stay after all.

Tullaryx
10-May-2006, 03:08 PM
i would image the game goes "24" in that there is a set window that needs to be breached in order to prevent the other Halos with are now powered and on standby to fire mode, from deploying. the artifact we're seeing could be the Arc issuing a "stand down" order to the halos.

I knew it! Jack Bauer is Master Chief!

I'm not too much of a FPS gamer, but Halo series is one that despite sucking at it, I continue to play on-line whenever I get a chance to stop playing my rpgs. :)

p2501
10-May-2006, 03:11 PM
Mee too!!!

I hadn't thought about that, but that is a kick ass idea! gravemind infected Cortana.

That's right, at the end of H2 you leave Cortana in the network before you head back toward earth on the Covvie ship.

"Chief, you mind telling me what your doing on that vessel?"

"Sir, finishing this fight!"

DUM dum dum dum dum dum, Dum dum dum dum dum,

DA DA DA, da da da da da, da da da, da da da, da da dum dum dum.

I love bungie, you can tell they're all sci-fi dorks, of a functional nature. but i think i see where they're going in regards to Halo3. but it's going to take a sidebar for a second.

Sidebar: On Babylon 5 there was this ****ing epic moment towards the end of season 4 where the human and Minbari feelts united in order to take out a threat to earth.

i think Bungie is going to do the same thing in H3. Humans and convenant in a picket line against a flood controled fleet.

I think the flood is going to overtake the debris of the covenant civil war at instaliation 05 (the one from halo2). and use those to build a fleet. the real question is, does the gravemind overtake high charity?

at the end of Halo2, the covenant have all but lost control of thier holycity. and the flood at running unopposed all over it. given what the covenant have gathered in terms of inforamtion about the forerunners, the flood, and the history of the universe prior to humans making our way in it. the possibility of Cortana's exposure to this volume of information could explain everything she says in the trailer.

god i cannot wait.

Danny
10-May-2006, 03:14 PM
jack bower?, hes wayne brady bitch!:lol:

and yeah screw yet another mario party the ultimate party game is halo 2, with the saturns mighty hits running up a close second.

....and running in third is maple story, a free mmorpg where the prhase "holy funking crap" isnt 'bleeped'.

p2501
10-May-2006, 03:18 PM
yes kids, Jack bauer is the master cheif.

you all knew it.

as for the plot ruminations. (let's all watch my work productivity plumet)

the earth, is the ark as near as i can tell. the forerunners would have wanteda complete biospeher to survive the halo deployments. ithout a functional biospheer to cultivate any surviving life would be extinguised within a few generations due to lack of any form of supply materials, or food stuffs.

as for the reclaimer bit. i'm uncertaiin. it's my opinion. humans are the forrunners. just during the great firing, we lost all of the tech. i culd be wrong. but the overall structure of the control interface devices and internal doors. suggest the forerunners were vaguely oursize.

if the humans are not the same sepcies as the forrunners. then it's possible the forerunners had determined our race would survive the firing and become "reclaimers". i dunno. the information is all to vague to make any accurate assessment about.

Tullaryx
10-May-2006, 03:25 PM
I always thought that the Forerunners were somewhat similar to the Old Ones in the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K universe. A first race that advanced to the point that they started seeding the galaxy with experiments that would evolve into the many sentient races. That is until one experiment went awry and ended up as the Flood. I thought the human race was the Forerunners last ditch effort to create a race that would evolve to take the fight to the parasitic race they accidentally created, but before their work could be finished the Forerunner either died off or disappeared. Thus leaving their final work to evolve without their guidance and knowledge of their race and their planet's true purpose.

p2501
10-May-2006, 03:43 PM
sorta. the forerunners were supposedly all wiped out during the firing of the instalations. as for how humans figure into all of this, there is a ton of conjecture but not alot of facts.

i suspect halo 3 will clarify all of this.

Tullaryx
10-May-2006, 04:06 PM
Would be hilarious if for some reason Ryu Hayabusa and the DOA fighters make an appearance to help out Master Chief "finish the fight". :lol:

Danny
10-May-2006, 04:12 PM
what like ozzy osbourne in little nicky?:lol:

p2501
10-May-2006, 05:52 PM
only if this all involves covering Henry Winkler in bees.

Danny
10-May-2006, 05:54 PM
and popeyes chicken.:D

p2501
10-May-2006, 07:00 PM
i prefer Bojangles, but hey you do what you like.

Danny
10-May-2006, 07:06 PM
bojangles?, im more of a kfc man meself.;)

Tullaryx
10-May-2006, 07:09 PM
Gamespot has a nice update on their article about the Halo 3 announcement. Bungie has confirmed that the trailer is using the in-game graphics engine which they've dubbed the Halo 3 engine. This is straight from Bungie themselves. It was smart of Bungie to get that piece of info out of the way before the detractors start saying the trailer graphics is pre-rendered like how the Killzone 2 trailer was.

Danny
10-May-2006, 07:15 PM
hopefully thatll be implemented for a 360 stubbs the zombie 2 with as many zombies as dead rising, and set in the 80's, id say 70's but thered be too many pimp blacksploitation zombies, fool.

p2501
10-May-2006, 08:12 PM
Gamespot has a nice update on their article about the Halo 3 announcement. Bungie has confirmed that the trailer is using the in-game graphics engine which they've dubbed the Halo 3 engine. This is straight from Bungie themselves. It was smart of Bungie to get that piece of info out of the way before the detractors start saying the trailer graphics is pre-rendered like how the Killzone 2 trailer was.

sweet. after the debacle i had with the first game, I'm limper than drowned rigatoni in regards to killzone 2. but it's cool bungie headed the haters off at the pass.

Danny
10-May-2006, 08:49 PM
i think killzone sucked because they seemed to use the porridge colour swatches when designing the game.

well that and it was ****.

MinionZombie
10-May-2006, 09:36 PM
That video looks pretty damn sweet, about time the Halo franchise got some swisher graphics - hopefully next gen Halo won't rely so much on "copy n paste" corridors, that was something that really bugged the crap out of me in both original games. The outdoor areas looked great, but any 'man-made' (alien-made) constructed was nothing but corridors all looking the same.

Danny
10-May-2006, 09:37 PM
mmm, very true.

p2501
11-May-2006, 02:04 PM
i think killzone sucked because they seemed to use the porridge colour swatches when designing the game.

well that and it was ****.

well that and the AI was.... retarded.

Tullaryx
11-May-2006, 08:50 PM
Well, didn't feel like opening up a whole separate topic just for this game, but anyone interested...here's the first official trailer for Team Ninja's DOAX2 (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/deadoralivextreme2/media.html).

Danny
11-May-2006, 09:06 PM
BOOOOYYYIIINGGGG!:lol:

c'mon thats what your all thinking.:D

Tullaryx
11-May-2006, 10:41 PM
BOOOOYYYIIINGGGG!:lol:

c'mon thats what your all thinking.:D

Damn right!

Here's part of the interview Itagaki had with IGN about the game that had me laughing.

Itagaki: First of all, please make mention that the full video is downloadable on Xbox Live Marketplace so that they see the game on their TVs set rather than their PC.

If you see the trailer, the hint is in there. There are a lot of activities where there are two girls together. Speaking of weird stuff, we're implementing a lot of activities with two girls doing things together.

IGN: Hmmm (Laughter.) What is the game's rating?

Itagaki: We don't know.

Here's the full interview (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/707/707859p1.html)