PDA

View Full Version : Fire at Monroeville

capncnut
02-Jan-2009, 11:40 PM
Two business were destroyed and two others sustained damage in a plaza fire overnight in Monroeville.

Three firefighters were injured while fighting the blaze in the 4000 block of William Penn Highway.

Municipal officials said a firefighter is believed to have been struck by a car, breaking his leg.

One firefighter suffered smoke inhalation and another got a minor cut. Both were treated at the scene.

The fire destroyed the roof over the building that houses Jack's Tuxedos, the East Oriental Food Store, Jae's tailors and cleaners, a three other businesses.

The two-alarm fire was reported just before midnight. It was brought under control and the scene was about to be cleared after about four hours before the rubble rekindled.

The food store and tailor shop appeared to have sustained the heaviest fire damage. Smoke and water damaged the others.
The cause of the fire and damage estimates are pending further investigation by the Allegheny County fire marshal.

Click (http://kdka.com/local/Monroeville.strip.mall.2.897585.html) for article.

Griff
02-Jan-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks but I don't think that's part of THE mall.

Debbieangel
02-Jan-2009, 11:57 PM
ahh yes I dont think so either but, still near our beloved Mall and worth a mention and a "heads up", Thanks Cap!

Philly_SWAT
03-Jan-2009, 01:27 AM
WHEW!! When I saw the first few words of this post on the main page, I feared the Mall itself caught fire! That would be a disaster!!

ProfessorChaos
03-Jan-2009, 01:36 AM
^^

yes, especially since i've not gotten around to visiting it yet. i've got friends up in PA whom i met in the marines, so i'm gonna have to head up there sooner or later.

Philly_SWAT
03-Jan-2009, 09:51 AM
^^

yes, especially since i've not gotten around to visiting it yet. i've got friends up in PA whom i met in the marines, so i'm gonna have to head up there sooner or later.

It is worth the trip. If you could, try to plan it around the comicon, and perhaps you will get to go to the boiler room, etc.

ProfessorChaos
03-Jan-2009, 07:34 PM
hate to sound like such a clueless moron, but when, perchance, is the next comicon?

Philly_SWAT
04-Jan-2009, 01:27 AM
hate to sound like such a clueless moron, but when, perchance, is the next comicon?

It would be easier to find out if the conventions forum was kept up to date better....

But to answer your question....

MAKE YOUR PLANS NOW FOR
PITTSBURGH COMICON 2009

PITTSBURGH COMICON
APRIL 24, 25, 26, 2009
Fri 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Sat 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sun 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

ProfessorChaos
04-Jan-2009, 05:28 AM
thanks for the info, philly. seriously thinking about it.

Philly_SWAT
04-Jan-2009, 04:37 PM
thanks for the info, philly. seriously thinking about it.

I am still pissed at myself for not going on the 25th anniversary. I thought about it, but didnt go, and went the next year. If I had gone the year before, I could have been on the Ultimate Edition DVD :(

bassman
05-Jan-2009, 12:40 PM
Ehh...I was more worried when Hill Valley caught fire, tbh.

How is the old mall holding up, anyway? It's a bit dated, im sure. If it's anything like it is around here, I imagine they'll be tearing it down within the next ten years...

Philly_SWAT
05-Jan-2009, 03:13 PM
When I was there a few years ago, it still looked good. They have done some remodeling/updating over the years. If I ever heard any word about tearing it down, I would start researching Pennsylvania laws in regards to getting buildings on the Historical Register.