PDA

View Full Version : UNDER THE BED - NOW ONLINE (Wash DC 48hfp)

DjfunkmasterG
10-May-2006, 11:38 PM
http://www.firstsessionmovie.com/utb/high.asp

Check it out. This is the film I worked on the weekend of May 5th & 6th 2006 in Woodbridge Virgina. This will also be playing at the AFI in Silver Spring Maryland Thursday May 11th 2006.

axlish
11-May-2006, 12:12 AM
That was good. There were a couple of good scares and I had a smile on my face the whole time. When the time passes I laughed my ass off at the girl's expression :) Great effort!

DjfunkmasterG
11-May-2006, 12:16 AM
I busted a gut too. However, i don't think that was the intention. :D I am gonna feel bad sitting with me team and laughing my ass tomorrow when i see that scene again.

Ya know for a film that was shot 90% handheld it looked pretty good. Believe me when i say Handheld was not the choice. We used my DVX100 and during the filming of the rape scene the piece at the bottom of the camera whene you mount the tripod broke while on the steadicam, hence making the remainder of the film being shot handheld.

We had a major audio problem as well so all the audio is the on camera mic except for 1 minute of footage. Because of all the lights and wires the boom mic was picking up every bit of electrical hum you could imagine. Hence why you get the bathroom echo.

Adrenochrome
11-May-2006, 02:21 PM
I really enjoyed that.
I love how she crawled on top of the night-stand to reach the fire extinguisher.
The end title music is perfect!
I'm sending that link to my "movie group" buddies. They'll love it!

peace,

Tom

MinionZombie
11-May-2006, 04:03 PM
That was very cool indeed, a nice little script and well put together, especially considering the time constraints. It was quite tense as well, which is a real achievement in such a short space of time, the girl trying not to touch the floor around the bed reminds me so much of when I was a little kid scared of monsters under the bed ... or when you'd be having fun playing lava floor or something.

Very cool little film, well done to all involved! Good luck in the competition.

Adrenochrome
11-May-2006, 04:47 PM
the girl trying not to touch the floor around the bed reminds me so much of when I was a little kid scared of monsters under the bed ... or when you'd be having fun playing lava floor or something.

Ya, the scene I mentioned reminded me of when I was a kid; always wondering if anything was "down there"....I'd wake up in the middle of the night and imagine all kinds of horrific wonders! Those are the memories that made me a horror fan. It's nice to see someone else's version!

DjfunkmasterG
11-May-2006, 04:59 PM
There is some great little jump scares. I wouldn't mind seeing a much longer version being done, beefing up the plot a bit more etc etc.

I will let you guys know tonight via this post how we faired in the competition. I doubt we will win best picture, but I hope the editing gets some kudo's or at least the cinematography.

MinionZombie
11-May-2006, 09:15 PM
I remember as a kid hiding behind the sofa at Doctor Who, I'd heard the announcer say it before the show and when I was that young I thought it was what you were supposed to do, as if it was a national solution to being scared by Doctor Who, honestly, lol.

Nowadays the show just gives me the willies now and then (gas mask zombies for instance), or it gets me all misty-eyed, like last week's episode. Awww, poor Doctor...

Yes I've gone all sappy...I'm not the hard-nosed grunter I used to be...okay that's bollocks but I'm still a sappy sod, lol.

axlish
11-May-2006, 09:21 PM
Out of curiosuity, why did you opt for 4:3 in stead of 16:9?

MinionZombie
11-May-2006, 09:25 PM
That was in 16:9 ... well, okay it seemed to be filmed in 4:3 but then widescreen was 'faked'. Not sure how they did it, but I do something similar I imagine. I have a couple of all-black JPEGs and I place them over the image at the right points. I thought maybe that's what they did cos you could see a tiny sliver of the image above the top bar.

DjfunkmasterG
11-May-2006, 09:36 PM
Out of curiosuity, why did you opt for 4:3 in stead of 16:9?

The Panasonic DVX100 doesn't have a true 16:9 mode it has a 4:3 letterbox 16:9. it is the only Mini DV camera under $4,000 USD that can record in 24P mode, but it does it in 4:3 letterbox.

The Canon XL2 is the next camera that is native 16:9. I didn't choose the 4:3 setting the DP chose that and the editor made the 16:9 black bars. Being the First Asst to the DP you learn a few things, like lighting and stuff, and when to use 4:3. He (the DP) needed it so he could see the whole scene through the LCD viewer, but on the playback deck the correct 16:9 bars were showing.

I don't understand why the bars look so funky though.

Here is a tidbit for you.... For $800 USD you can by a 16:9 adapter lens to fit the DVX100. The problem is... it's $800USD :D

MinionZombie
11-May-2006, 09:49 PM
Have you ever used a Canon XM2? Just interested in what you think of it if you have used one at some point.

DjfunkmasterG
12-May-2006, 01:55 AM
My DP has used it I think. isn't that the PAL version of the GL2? If it is I used a GL1 on Most of DEADLANDS until I got the DVX100.

Well, The final outcome. We had the best Audience reaction of all 12 films that showed. All the jump scares got some people jumping and a few screams from the girls. I don't know if we will win best picture, but I hope we win one of the categories and I think we have a real shot.

The director and his wife were handing out Promo material to people going in the theater, in fact i think they were the only ones handing out Promo material which was very cool.

I also found out there will be no extended cut put on the web, so I am sorry for getting your hopes up. it was discussed, but I guess the director decided against it.

MinionZombie
12-May-2006, 10:39 AM
Well I certainly hope you guys win one of the categories for that film because it deserves it, to get an audience jumping and wrapped up in proceedings within 4 to 7 minutes is a great achievement with 48 hours work.

Yeh the Canon XM2 is PAL, it's the cameras they have at the Rural Media Company, so I've been getting a lot of use out of them what with getting experience there for the past few months now. There's better cameras out there, but I feel it's a pretty good camera...perhaps not worth the £1500 it costs just about everywhere I look, but decent all the same, especially for putting together some indie films.

DjfunkmasterG
12-May-2006, 11:09 AM
Well I certainly hope you guys win one of the categories for that film because it deserves it, to get an audience jumping and wrapped up in proceedings within 4 to 7 minutes is a great achievement with 48 hours work.

Yeh the Canon XM2 is PAL, it's the cameras they have at the Rural Media Company, so I've been getting a lot of use out of them what with getting experience there for the past few months now. There's better cameras out there, but I feel it's a pretty good camera...perhaps not worth the £1500 it costs just about everywhere I look, but decent all the same, especially for putting together some indie films.

This is your Camera correct?

http://www.expandore.com/product/Canon/Canon_pictures/XM2/Main+MA-300+Mic.JPG

That is the Canon XM2, it is known in the USA as the GL2 and they are nice, native 16:9 1/4" CCD cameras, but Canon stopped making them. I hear a lot of complaints on DVINFO.NET about broken drives and tape carriers, ro the camera just stops working altogether.

My original camera was just like that though. I had the previous model the GL1, or as you know it the XM1. Great camera, worked like a horse, but it hated big differences in temperatures. A small shift of even 20 degrees made the camera operate funny.

This is my camera.

http://camuser.co.kr/image_NORMAL/BP_NORMAL/N001/ag-dvx100p.jpg

That is the Original Panasonic DVX100 I have version P just like in the picture. This camera is very cool and records 24P which is film speed here in the USA. This camera retails for around $3,000 - $4,000 depending where you buy it and it has tons of great features on it. If you're going to keep doing films Minion.... I suggest you check one of these out or at least a Canon XL2.

MinionZombie
12-May-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeh that's the camera I have access to at Rural Media. My personal camera is a Canon, but it was quite cheap when I got it and not of the same quality - but it does me fine for making my films and whatnot. If I had money then I'd obviously upgrade. I've had no real problems with the XM2, the only problem I did have was one of the XM2's at RMC had a f*cked zoom on it, had a life of it's own. Stick that together with a dud tripod which wobbled like a drunk hooker then you've got quite a fussy combination. Still, managed to shoot a whole film for BBC Local TV segment, so it's not all bad. Mind you, that zoom was bugging the fudge out of me. That was just from overuse over the months/years on that particular one. All the others work fine.

The second image doesn't load up however.

DjfunkmasterG
12-May-2006, 06:32 PM
you can google image PANASONIC DVX100 to see what we work with now on DEADLANDS.

axlish
12-May-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey DJ. Just wanted to let you know that the receptionist where I work really likes Under the Bed. She asked me for the link again just now, she wanted to watch it again. She is black and in her mid 50's. Just another demographic to add to your audience :)

She is very supportive of me working on my own films, so now she keeps talking about how I have to top Under the Bed, and Deadlands as well. She likes the trailer too.

DjfunkmasterG
12-May-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback axlish.

Tell her we thank her for her support, and of course we thank everyone for their support.

I just got an email from the director that says "Some time later next week we should find out if Under The Bed makes it into the best of 48hfp DC 2006. If it does it will be shown again at the AFI in Silver Spring MD."

That was the best news I heard all day today, well that and "GARY the dealership called and said you car is ready." They gave me, a 300lb guy, a frigging subcompact to drive while it was having work done on it.

MinionZombie
12-May-2006, 10:27 PM
Damn, that's a swish bit of kit. If someone gave me one of those I'd certainly not turn it down, lol. Ahhh...if only I had the money to get something much more swish, oh well, I'd rather struggle with no money now when I don't have a mortgage and a wife and kids than in my mid-life when I really need it.

'course, a win on the Premium Bonds wouldn't go amiss either :D

I'd get me a swish camera ... and a 360. I can't believe I haven't owned a console since the Mega Drive 2...

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2006, 03:52 PM
WOW... You don't even have a play station at least?

Actually, you have all the gaming power you need right in front of you which if upgraded properly could stomp the ass out of any console system.

axlish
13-May-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm rocking a Genesis myself. DJ, hop back in chat!

MinionZombie
13-May-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeh, I've been a PC gamer since we got our first PC. Played some basic things like Lemmings and Tetris on a 386 we got, then Sim City 2000 and things like Carmageddon, Redneck Rampage and Quake (among others) on our Windows 95 machine. Then we got this one I'm currently on (ME) and got onto play more developed games then got my own laptop which did me alright for a while, then got myself a desktop to edit/play games on and that one handles Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 quite well. Although I think it's going to be outdated soon with some of these next-gen games pushing the limits, or games like Prey. If I won big on the lottery or something then I'd do a full-blown upgrade of my desktop. Although if I came into a bit of cash from some paid work or on a project I'm involved with now, then I'd totally get an Xbox 360. Had tons-o-fun on my housemate's original Xbox, I'd missed console gaming, but clearly, PC is for hardcore gamers while consoles are more open to amateurs all the way up to hardcore folk.

I'd never buy a playstation, I could never get along with it, the controller was awful and made my fingers hurt and I didn't think it was really that great (both versions). Now PS3 seems to be a cluster-f*ck, I like the cut of Xbox's jib. :D

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeh, I've been a PC gamer since we got our first PC. Played some basic things like Lemmings and Tetris on a 386 we got, then Sim City 2000 and things like Carmageddon, Redneck Rampage and Quake (among others) on our Windows 95 machine. Then we got this one I'm currently on (ME) and got onto play more developed games then got my own laptop which did me alright for a while, then got myself a desktop to edit/play games on and that one handles Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 quite well. Although I think it's going to be outdated soon with some of these next-gen games pushing the limits, or games like Prey. If I won big on the lottery or something then I'd do a full-blown upgrade of my desktop. Although if I came into a bit of cash from some paid work or on a project I'm involved with now, then I'd totally get an Xbox 360. Had tons-o-fun on my housemate's original Xbox, I'd missed console gaming, but clearly, PC is for hardcore gamers while consoles are more open to amateurs all the way up to hardcore folk.

I'd never buy a playstation, I could never get along with it, the controller was awful and made my fingers hurt and I didn't think it was really that great (both versions). Now PS3 seems to be a cluster-f*ck, I like the cut of Xbox's jib. :D

my fave simulation games are Rollercoaster Tycoon and Sim City 4. I can play those for hours. The new game, the Movies is fun, but it gets boring after 6 hours of straight play. I can beat it in my sleep now, but I like making and shooting my own movies with the game. Gives me a higher studio ranking.

Adrenochrome
13-May-2006, 08:17 PM
my fave simulation games are Rollercoaster Tycoon ...
oh my.....my girlfriend LOVES Rollercoaster Tycoon. She's got ALL of them (also a Zoo Tycoon thing that she wishes she could stick me in). There's also some sort of Alien Planet Tycoon thing she plays.
I'm an old school MYST fan. Or RAMA. Or Lighthouse. I can't get into all of that Tycoon stuff.

Oh, for you oldie gamers, there's my FAVORITE called BioForge! Have any of you played that?
oo and one from WAAAAY back in the day called "Out of this World". Back when WinDoze'95 was a pop.

MinionZombie
13-May-2006, 08:24 PM
I must give The Movies a try out, download it of course, lol. I'm paying for one game this month, so that's enough :D - if you're interested it's Hitman: Blood Money ... geeeeez I cannot wait for it, less than 2 weeks till it's out! Had that bitch on pre-order since last summer dagnammit.

Neil
14-May-2006, 06:49 PM
That was a cool! Some nice jumps in there!

DjfunkmasterG
26-May-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback Neil.

The one thing this film had going for it was the jump scare factor. It was a good story, with good scares, and it was executed perfectly. The tone of the film even gives me the heeby jeebies. :D

MinionZombie
26-May-2006, 10:07 PM
Oh yeh Dj, that thing in the email you sent - noiiice. :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
27-May-2006, 01:17 PM
I thought you'd like that. :D :evil:

There is an evil side in me at times.

MinionZombie
27-May-2006, 10:10 PM
*camp mode on*

Ooh, there's something evil in me every night :D

*camp mode off*

HA!

Oh yeah, not sure if I said, but that trick you said of switching in audio properties to "wave" worked a treat. I've put together a rough track which I can see going at the end of the short film I'm working on at the moment. I just hope I can find a convenient time to do filming for it, June is going to be a rather busy month me thinks, meetings, filming a wedding, filming the first half of a pilot, more meetings, a press release event with combined 'one day film' competition *phew*, then all the planning and writing I do here at home ... but it's great fun to have things to do and such variety.

Despite getting an "E" in music, hopefully I'll get some decent atmosphere audio down for my new short film, I'm tone deaf but I know what I want atmos wise...so it shouldn't be all bad ... unless the new Hitman game consumes me whole.

DjfunkmasterG
29-May-2006, 01:19 PM
*camp mode on*

Ooh, there's something evil in me every night :D

*camp mode off*

HA!

Oh yeah, not sure if I said, but that trick you said of switching in audio properties to "wave" worked a treat. I've put together a rough track which I can see going at the end of the short film I'm working on at the moment. I just hope I can find a convenient time to do filming for it, June is going to be a rather busy month me thinks, meetings, filming a wedding, filming the first half of a pilot, more meetings, a press release event with combined 'one day film' competition *phew*, then all the planning and writing I do here at home ... but it's great fun to have things to do and such variety.

Despite getting an "E" in music, hopefully I'll get some decent atmosphere audio down for my new short film, I'm tone deaf but I know what I want atmos wise...so it shouldn't be all bad ... unless the new Hitman game consumes me whole.

Glad that worked for you. I only use Adober Audition and when it isn't recording I know exactly where the problem lies.