PDA

View Full Version : Let's sort this once and for all...

MinionZombie
13-May-2006, 02:33 PM
I want all of you who've seen Land to answer this simple poll, not to chuff up Hellsing, I was gonna do this but all these email notifications kept flooding in, I've been here for an hour just getting through them.

Anyway, it's simple. Let's leave this up and see what's what. Although it'll never be a true, complete representation, it'll give a better idea of what we're feeling here - and whichever side gains more, no chuffing anybody...otherwise the issue will never f*cking die already! :D

DeadCentral
13-May-2006, 02:36 PM
I liked it a LOT !!

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2006, 02:37 PM
I want all of you who've seen Land to answer this simple poll, not to chuff up Hellsing, I was gonna do this but all these email notifications kept flooding in, I've been here for an hour just getting through them.

Anyway, it's simple. Let's leave this up and see what's what. Although it'll never be a true, complete representation, it'll give a better idea of what we're feeling here - and whichever side gains more, no chuffing anybody...otherwise the issue will never f*cking die already! :D

So are you asking that we stop beating the dead horse? :D

and if that is what your asking, what do we do if it suddenly gets up and starts eating warm flesh? :dead:

I say we keep beating it to a bloody red pulp. :D

MinionZombie
13-May-2006, 02:43 PM
For the love of all that is good and possibly holy, quit beating the dead horse. Shoot it twenty-three times in the head and leave it be. :D I suggest we all flog something else, which gains more satisfying results, :p.

Andy
13-May-2006, 02:52 PM
I was gonna do this but all these email notifications kept flooding in, I've been here for an hour just getting through them.

exactly why i dont use them :p this forum has enough search and view new posts (both from the last 24 hours and since your last visit) that email notifications are simply not required :p

i dont like land btw :p

Danny
13-May-2006, 02:54 PM
youse stole my idea!!!!:lol:

axlish
13-May-2006, 02:57 PM
I went from hating it, to considering it passable fun. I voted in the middle.

MinionZombie
13-May-2006, 03:00 PM
pfft, like I said, was gonna do this...then read your post...then finished checking all those email notifications - which are back again!!! - and then posted it to try and stop all this dead horse flogging.

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2006, 03:49 PM
For the love of all that is good and possibly holy, quit beating the dead horse. Shoot it twenty-three times in the head and leave it be. :D I suggest we all flog something else, which gains more satisfying results, :p.

Well then you go right ahead and flog. Don't forget the lotion I hear it prevents chaffing.

and of this post the system is currently tied.

jscott
13-May-2006, 03:54 PM
I voted in the middle. I'm not crazy about Land, but it has it's moments.

MinionZombie
13-May-2006, 07:31 PM
Ooh, it's going to be an exciting time, like election results coming in ... but there'll be no recounts, ha!

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2006, 07:38 PM
But what if a recount is demanded? :D

MinionZombie
13-May-2006, 07:59 PM
Unless it's in my favour I'll strike down upon thee with great, moderating vengeance! :D

Hawkboy
13-May-2006, 08:05 PM
I loved it! The Subtext/message is kind of beaten over your head a bit. but I love the film none the less.

Adrenochrome
13-May-2006, 08:26 PM
I loved it! The Subtext/message is kind of beaten over your head a bit. but I love the film none the less.
How DARE you mention "Subtext" on the internet!! I am horrified and have been sent into a delusional fit because I read your post! Serious....I ain't lyin'.

MKULTRA1138
14-May-2006, 12:37 AM
Personally I loved the movie! George Romero is without a doubt one of my favorite directors and it was cool to be able to see one of his movies in the theaters again! I mean C'mon people! We got a george Romero zombie flick in the year 2005! I don't know about anyone else but I think thats awesome!

Svengoolie
14-May-2006, 02:38 AM
Personally I loved the movie! George Romero is without a doubt one of my favorite directors and it was cool to be able to see one of his movies in the theaters again! I mean C'mon people! We got a george Romero zombie flick in the year 2005! I don't know about anyone else but I think thats awesome!

Personally, I just wanted a good zombie flick--whether it be from GAR or Joey Buttafucco.

And, in the case of Land...GAR let us down. Big time.

Doc Foster
14-May-2006, 11:08 AM
GREAT film. Once again, Uncle George delivered! ;)

NumberOneGARFan
14-May-2006, 12:38 PM
Haven't seen so much bloody damn gore in years. I think the old man from pittsburgh still has some genius left in him. Can't wait to see where the dead series has yet to go.

EvilNed
14-May-2006, 01:00 PM
I liked it. Ask me again in ten years, and I might love it.

DjfunkmasterG
15-May-2006, 10:58 AM
I have to ask a question... Did all the people who watched LAND only like it because of the gore? Because thats what it looks like. I see nothing about characters, story etc etc. Every reply about loving or liking the film is about the gore. If thats all a film needed to be good then Peter Jacksons Braindead has LAND beat by 10,000 miles.

I cannot count anyones opinion if their sole point for LOVING LAND of the DEAD is because it had gore in it. It means you have none of the required pyschological capacity to view and understand a George Romero film. So in order to properly do that you need an IQ of 75 or above. So is everyone here telling me their personal IQ is lower than 75 points, and are you telling us that you love LAND only for the gore?

kidgloves
15-May-2006, 02:44 PM
Loved it on the big screen. After repeated viewings since i've kind of levelled out at above average and it has lost that pop it in the player appeal.

Doc Foster
15-May-2006, 06:09 PM
I have to ask a question... Did all the people who watched LAND only like it because of the gore? Because thats what it looks like. I see nothing about characters, story etc etc. Every reply about loving or liking the film is about the gore. If thats all a film needed to be good then Peter Jacksons Braindead has LAND beat by 10,000 miles.

I cannot count anyones opinion if their sole point for LOVING LAND of the DEAD is because it had gore in it. It means you have none of the required pyschological capacity to view and understand a George Romero film. So in order to properly do that you need an IQ of 75 or above. So is everyone here telling me their personal IQ is lower than 75 points, and are you telling us that you love LAND only for the gore?

I, for one, don't judge horror films by the amount of gore they may contain. And I'll tell you something: When I first saw "Land", I KNEW I was in for a treat already during the GREAT opening sequence at the gas station - in particular the marching band in the pavillon. That was SO "Romero", you know what I mean? No gore involved there. The other most memorable scene from the film for me is when the zombies come out of the water after having crossed the river. No gore involved here, either.

I'm not saying the gore in "Land" is bad, though - and just for the record, I also love "Braindead"! :cool:

EvilNed
15-May-2006, 08:23 PM
I liked Land alot, but compared to other Romero flicks I didn't find it very gory. Infact, the violence is part of the film I don't like.

I simply like the setup. The plot is good, the world is great, the zombies cool, the characters are likeable (but Riley is a pretty poor main character), the atmosphere is GREAT.

Overall, I like all things about it except for Simon Baker, who pulls of a pretty bad acting job, the CGI gore, which just looks silly (always will, altough I doubt Guillermo Del Toro will ever learn) and the fact that they could have presented us, viewers, to Fiddlers Green in a better way.

DJ: We're telling you that no matter how many times you tell the world that Land of the Dead sucks, that bit of information is never going to be recorded in any factbook. The only "fact" about what you're saying is that it's an opinion. And one not shared by the majority on this board.

MinionZombie
15-May-2006, 10:34 PM
I don't think that's the case at all, it's just the tip of the iceberg, it's the simple part of the conversation. Don't forget all the extended discussions we've all had regarding the intricate workings of the plot - how the people survive, how they live, the meanings of GAR's ideas in the movie ... and of course, TIME AND AGAIN, that bloody issue of 'gee, how does money work in a zombie world' *grrrrrr!!! it's frickin' obvious people*.

The gore is just the easy bit to talk about in a superficial level, in the biggest threads about Land it's clear to see that everyone's into it far more than just some gore.

kortick
16-May-2006, 02:22 AM
DJ i had to tell you
you made me laugh my ass off when my girlfriend saw
your footer and said
"who is that zombie chick giving head to?"

i didnt notice her head motions resemble oral sex
performance

so kudos to you
you made my girl ask the most odd question
and i havent let her live it down

its so good to get to pick on your girl for being dumb....

DjfunkmasterG
16-May-2006, 10:06 AM
DJ: We're telling you that no matter how many times you tell the world that Land of the Dead sucks, that bit of information is never going to be recorded in any factbook. The only "fact" about what you're saying is that it's an opinion. And one not shared by the majority on this board.

It doesn't need to be recorded into a fact book, the general movie going public already knows this. Don't need a fact book for that. The box office numbers are proof of that as well.

Here is something for your fact book!

LAND of the DEAD sucks ass

EvilNed
16-May-2006, 11:58 AM
It doesn't need to be recorded into a fact book, the general movie going public already knows this. Don't need a fact book for that. The box office numbers are proof of that as well.

Here is something for your fact book!

LAND of the DEAD sucks ass

I just love the way you argue, so pre-school. :D (Also, by your argument, Titanic is the best film ever. A fact, nonetheless!)

MinionZombie
16-May-2006, 11:59 AM
OPINION. OPINION. OPINION.

Neither side can claim any facts, and box office only deals in money, not quality. Titanic made over a billion, yet it was voted as the worst film of all time in a poll here in the UK two or three years ago now.

Just because we love Land, doesn't mean that the film is factually an epic piece of artwork. Likewise, just because you despise it, doesn't factually make it the case across the world.

Everybody, can we shut up on this rotted husk of a flogged horse, it's going round in circles.

EvilNed
16-May-2006, 12:02 PM
Just because we love Land, doesn't mean that the film is factually an epic piece of artwork. Likewise, just because you despise it, doesn't factually make it the case across the world.

The funny thing is that I don't really think this is what DJ gets. Somehow, this seems to elude him! :) Does give us some amusement, tho.

And don't forget Equilibrium. That film sucks ass, I mean just look at the box office numbers. Hello?

DjfunkmasterG
17-May-2006, 10:45 AM
I just love the way you argue, so pre-school. :D (Also, by your argument, Titanic is the best film ever. A fact, nonetheless!)

Titanic is a great film. Where else do you get to see some fatass chick tell Leo PHUCK YOU, YOU FREEZE!

DJ i had to tell you
you made me laugh my ass off when my girlfriend saw
your footer and said
"who is that zombie chick giving head to?"

i didnt notice her head motions resemble oral sex
performance

so kudos to you
you made my girl ask the most odd question
and i havent let her live it down

its so good to get to pick on your girl for being dumb....

LOL LMAO ROFLMAO

Next time you see her tell her Dj sent her a message. (then I want you to Bob your head back and forth in front of her.) :elol:

The funny thing is that I don't really think this is what DJ gets. Somehow, this seems to elude him! :) Does give us some amusement, tho.

Glad I am here to entertain you. I'll be here all year.

BTW, I get it. Which is why I can't understand why you guys like this film. One of you admitted it's crap, not in so many words, but still admitted it, yet you praise it like it is the second coming.

Likewise, just because you despise it, doesn't factually make it the case across the world.

Yes it does... Because across the world there are other people doing the exact same bitching I am. :D

MinionZombie
17-May-2006, 11:52 AM
In that case all across the world there are countless people doing the exact same as the love camp are doing, pledging their allegiance to Land. :rockbrow:

LouCipherr
17-May-2006, 12:27 PM
Well, for me personally it was a letdown.

If I was looking for a movie whos plot was based on "how many different ways can we salughter zombies" then it would've been fantastic... but when you're waiting for the character development and storylines/content that GAR is known in the past to deliver in his living dead movies, well... let's just say LOTD falls short in every way. It has it's moments, but that's just it - it only has 'moments'.. It just felt like it meandered along.

It wasn't "horrible" by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly is not his best work nor the best in his living dead "series." I could've personally done without it.

LC

bassman
17-May-2006, 01:20 PM
"how many different ways can we salughter zombies"

Really? I didn't get that impression at all....

MinionZombie
17-May-2006, 03:13 PM
I think Dj has gotten to him, he's feasted on his brain and he's controlling his thoughts! :confused::eek:

Tullaryx
17-May-2006, 03:39 PM
I'll keep it simple. I personally LIKED the film. :)

LouCipherr
17-May-2006, 03:43 PM
I think Dj has gotten to him, he's feasted on his brain and he's controlling his thoughts! :confused::eek:

I can think for myself just fine, thank you.

Dj and I saw the premiere in Pittsburgh and we have had MANY discussions about LOTD, so it's not surprising we have similar viewpoints. Neither of us liked the movie all that much, although his disdain for LOTD is much greater than mine.

As far as the 'how many ways can you kill a zombie' Hmm lesee..

fliptop (can you say "pez dispenser"? :D)
kicking a zombies face off
cutting ones head off with a bridge
shoving a steak through the bottom of ones chin
using a mini-crossbow to kill them (cholo)

man, I could go on and on, but it was just a display of unique ways to kill zombies. There's not a thing wrong with that, it was just totally the opposite of what I was expecting after seeing the original triology.

DjfunkmasterG
17-May-2006, 03:48 PM
I can think for myself just fine, thank you.

Dj and I saw the premiere in Pittsburgh and we have had MANY discussions about LOTD, so it's not surprising we have similar viewpoints. Neither of us liked the movie all that much, although his disdain for LOTD is much greater than mine.

I promote free thinking in all my friends. I was the one who turned to Lou at the premiere 20 minutes into the film and loudly stated "This Movie Sucks" :D

bassman
17-May-2006, 04:22 PM
man, I could go on and on, but it was just a display of unique ways to kill zombies. There's not a thing wrong with that, it was just totally the opposite of what I was expecting after seeing the original triology.

Have you seen "Day of the Dead"? How about "Dawn of the Dead"? Start counting:lol: ...

EvilNed
17-May-2006, 04:32 PM
BTW, I get it. Which is why I can't understand why you guys like this film. One of you admitted it's crap, not in so many words, but still admitted it, yet you praise it like it is the second coming.

References would be nice. Very nice.

LouCipherr
17-May-2006, 04:55 PM
Have you seen "Day of the Dead"? How about "Dawn of the Dead"? Start counting:lol: ...

:lol:

You have a point...

What I was trying to say is I wasn't expecting what LOTD brought to the table considering the original trilogy. There is a BIG difference between the original 3 and LOTD. If people can't see that on their own, I'm not going to beat the facts into their head. It should be pretty obvious. ;)

bassman
17-May-2006, 04:59 PM

You have a point...

What I was trying to say is I wasn't expecting what LOTD brought to the table considering the original trilogy. There is a BIG difference between the original 3 and LOTD. If people can't see that on their own, I'm not going to beat the facts into their head. It should be pretty obvious. ;)

I agree, except you're forgetting one thing. There are big differences between every movie in Romero's Dead Saga. Not between the original trilogy and "Land". I think this is why alot of people had a hard time accepting "Day" at first.

The original trilogy just seems similar to us because we've seen those films more times than we can count. "Land" does it's own thing just like "Day" did, and just like "Dawn" did.

DjfunkmasterG
17-May-2006, 05:08 PM
I put a reference in the post.

LouCipherr
17-May-2006, 06:45 PM
I agree, except you're forgetting one thing. There are big differences between every movie in Romero's Dead Saga. Not between the original trilogy and "Land". I think this is why alot of people had a hard time accepting "Day" at first.

The original trilogy just seems similar to us because we've seen those films more times than we can count. "Land" does it's own thing just like "Day" did, and just like "Dawn" did.

See, I don't see it that way. I see Night, Day & Dawn as being very similar as far as character development, storyline, etc. I'm not referring to the plot itself, I'm referring to 'how' he tells the story. I don't see any of that in Land. There was zero character development, which is almost 100% against the typical GAR 'dead' film. Maybe that's what he was going for, but I just couldn't get into it. :(

LC

DjfunkmasterG
17-May-2006, 07:47 PM
See, I don't see it that way. I see Night, Day & Dawn as being very similar as far as character development, storyline, etc. I'm not referring to the plot itself, I'm referring to 'how' he tells the story. I don't see any of that in Land. There was zero character development, which is almost 100% against the typical GAR 'dead' film. Maybe that's what he was going for, but I just couldn't get into it. :(

LC

You tell'em Steve-Dave :D

EvilNed
17-May-2006, 07:59 PM
I put a reference in the post.

Please point it out to me. :)

EDIT:

"Yes it does... Because across the world there are other people doing the exact same bitching I am."

Ah, more flawed logic. I guess people should stop making movies, seeing as it's now a fact that every movie sucks ass.

DjfunkmasterG
18-May-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by MinionZombie
Just because we love Land, doesn't mean that the film is factually an epic piece of artwork.

If you love it you have to consider it art. :D How do you love a turd? The only way to truly respect a turd is to flush it.

See Ned, admitted Crap! :D :lol: :moon: :elol: :p

EvilNed
18-May-2006, 10:54 AM
If you love it you have to consider it art. :D How do you love a turd? The only way to truly respect a turd is to flush it.

See Ned, admitted Crap! :D :lol: :moon: :elol: :p

:eek: :eek: :eek: Seriously, tell me you are kidding? You're not really that stupid, are you? How does that sentence prove anything of the sort? :bored:

For your information, loving a film means simply means that you like it. Alot. Who are you to tell other people what they can and cannot love (and how they define love?). And just because a film isn't a FACTUAL PIECE OF ART, doesn't mean he doesn't consider it to be a piece of art. It just doesn't mean that he believes that it's a FACT that it's a piece of art.

Sometimes, you have some major trouble distinguishing between Fact and Opinions. These are generally the kind of things you have to explain to kids...

MinionZombie
18-May-2006, 12:09 PM
You have a weird way of looking at things. What I'm saying is that we all have our opinions. The love camp really do love Land and the hate camp really do bitch and moan about it all the time, but while we personally hold our own views, it doesn't make any of us necessarily right.

The whole world is a gigantic asshole ... no wait, a gigantic opinion.

DjfunkmasterG
19-May-2006, 11:00 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Seriously, tell me you are kidding? You're not really that stupid, are you? How does that sentence prove anything of the sort? :bored:

For your information, loving a film means simply means that you like it. Alot. Who are you to tell other people what they can and cannot love (and how they define love?). And just because a film isn't a FACTUAL PIECE OF ART, doesn't mean he doesn't consider it to be a piece of art. It just doesn't mean that he believes that it's a FACT that it's a piece of art.

Sometimes, you have some major trouble distinguishing between Fact and Opinions. These are generally the kind of things you have to explain to kids...

And generally HPotD isn't filled with self centered jack-offs like yourself, but you don't see me complaining.

Loving a film means you love a film. There is a big difference between Liking a film, liking a film a lot, and loving a film. According to you it is the same thing. Which it is not.

Here is an example for the handicapable like yourself.

I really love Shawshank redemption. I consider it to be the single best motion picture ever made. The story, the characters, and direction truly make that film a work of art. Can be watched over and over, Is higly recommendable and should be in the DVD collection of every film buff/ DVD collector.

I like DAWN 1978 a lot. it is one of my favorite horror films. The reason I don't love it is because I only really like it and unlike Shawshank it isn't watchable 100 times a year. However, I would recommend it to non horror fans and it is a good film all around

I like Scarface. A good film but cannot be watched nearly as much as Shawshank. It hasn't aged well through the years. Still somewhat recommendable, but only to those whom you know enjoy this kind of film.

I don't care for the Dukes of Hazzard. Yes it has it's moments, but overall it lacks what the TV show had. Character. However, if I was bored on a sunday and it was HBO or TNT I would watch it.

I hate LOTD - Why? Because it sucks. The film is all over the place, has no plot, no characters you care about, and spends to much of it's time playing the politics angle. This is a film that I could care less if I ever watch again.

There is a huge difference. Also, NED... you need to chill. You don't want to start a :mad: war with me. I will send you home crying to your momma. :D

In your case that isn't a far run is it? Only up the basement steps and into the kitchen.

deadwrtr
19-May-2006, 03:04 PM
Of the people who have voted, 63.89% of the people liked the film, whereas only 19.44% disliked it. While this isn't a truly accurate, definitive measurement of how much the entire community here at HPotD liked or disliked the film, the numbers are what they are.

Personally, I liked the film. I didn't love it, but it sure beats a lot of other movies out there. It has zombies! Made by GAR! Lots-o-gore! True, it was lacking in character development, but a decent film none-the-less. I realize gore does not a movie make, but it sure helps.

It's not Gone with the Wind or Casablanca, but it's re-watchable.

DJ, I agree with you 100% about Shawshank. I could watch that movie over and over and over... and still not get bored.

EvilNed
19-May-2006, 03:10 PM
There is a huge difference. Also, NED... you need to chill. You don't want to start a :mad: war with me. I will send you home crying to your momma. :D

In your case that isn't a far run is it? Only up the basement steps and into the kitchen.

I'm sorry, I didn't know you felt threathened. :)

Besides, you think you're so high and mighty, I can tell. Maybe you shouldn't be pointing fingers, and telling other people to "stop being such self-centered jack-offs". Pardon me, while I stiffle a chuckle.

erisi236
19-May-2006, 08:55 PM
stick me in the "It's not great but it's not bad either" camp, it's hardly the worst thing I've seen but "great" is about the last word I'd think of when talking about Land

MinionZombie
10-Jun-2006, 10:09 AM
Well, I think that's a conclusive result for the poll. :cool:

AcesandEights
10-Jun-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't have the energy to argue or debate the point right now, but I, as have always stated, liked the film.

Does it have some warts? Yes. Romero's strongest showing? Nope. Still worth my time and money? Hell, yes!

Graebel
10-Jun-2006, 05:40 PM
New to this board but I thought I'd add my two cents.

Hollywood ruined Land. My biggest complaint was the jackasses who were the producers just because it was GAR and not because they really wanted to do credit to a zombie film.

At 90 odd minutes this was unbelievably short and we didn't get any character development of the main characters. And the secondary characters owned the movie. (Robert Joy was freaking fantastic.)

But at the end of the night/dawn/day, I liked it. Would I like to see GAR independently financed to make an unrated/NC-17 zombie? Oh god yes. And as soon as I win the lottery I'll be donating to that fund.

:o Oh yeah, hello to all.

Danny
10-Jun-2006, 11:12 PM
well i liked it, better than day i think.

and anyone else notice the theme of elvolving zombies in each film?

night: little girl with a trowel
dawn: dead chopper dude remembers were door is at end
day: ...do i really even need to explain bub?
land: big daddy

so whats next?, zombies living in tribes wielding clubs and acting all caveman style?

hey that wouldnt be too bad.:shifty:

Graebel
10-Jun-2006, 11:38 PM
zombie sex?:eek: babies? taxes? zom-mart stores?

Guru ofthe Dead
12-Jun-2006, 06:02 PM
The movie is a great film, good for the times, it's GAR, best of the dead films that has came out in fifteen years, and just remember you will never capture the magic of Dawn. The new CGI additions to movies will always ruin great hands on gore and makeup. This also kills characters evolving into bad asses because they don't have real people to fight and kill.

Svengoolie
12-Jun-2006, 06:47 PM
Hollywood ruined Land. My biggest complaint was the jackasses who were the producers just because it was GAR and not because they really wanted to do credit to a zombie film.

How so?

According to Christine Romero, GAR had a great relationship with the producers of this film and they let him have all of the creative control he wanted--he effectively made the film he wanted to make without alot of interference.

Griff
13-Jun-2006, 12:01 PM
How so?

According to Christine Romero, GAR had a great relationship with the producers of this film and they let him have all of the creative control he wanted--he effectively made the film he wanted to make without alot of interference.

Just alot of compromise - schedule, budget... its far too ambitious for what it sets out to achieve but what it does achieve considering its limited resources is astounding. Consider DAWN04, for instance, which was made for almost twice as much, on a much better US->Canada exchange rate - only to achieve what? A good first 10 minutes? Even that's debatable.

Svengoolie
13-Jun-2006, 06:30 PM
Just alot of compromise - schedule, budget... its far too ambitious for what it sets out to achieve but what it does achieve considering its limited resources is astounding.

Point 1:
That's not even close to what Christine Romero said. She actually praised the producers for letting GAR make the film he wanted to make.

Point 2:
Uh...did you read the same script I did? The finished product hasn't been as close to the original script for any GAR film since the original Dawn of the Dead.

bassman
13-Jun-2006, 07:22 PM
Point 1:
That's not even close to what Christine Romero said. She actually praised the producers for letting GAR make the film he wanted to make.

You never know....they might have just been saying that to be nice and try to get future deals. Little white lies are everywhere:shifty:

They may have let him make the film he wanted to....but I think it's obvious that the time schedule was the most direct factor in the final product turning out the way it did.

Still an entertaining flick. But with more time....oh what Romero could have done.

Svengoolie
13-Jun-2006, 08:46 PM
To whom it may concern:

Why does this post.....

Point 1:

Point 2:
Uh...did you read the same script I did? The finished product hasn't been as close to the original script for any GAR film since the original Dawn of the Dead.

...warrant a negative rep point?

Adrenochrome
13-Jun-2006, 10:52 PM
To whom it may concern:

Why does this post.....

...warrant a negative rep point?
Don't feel bad burnsy I got one for this post in the "What do you Collect" thread (said post below) There's nothing mentioned in this post to warrant a pos or neg rep, but hey......somebody chose to "disapprove".....oh well, I'll live, I think.

axlish is my hero!

At the moment, I seem to be collecting way too much of my own artwork (paintings and scupltures *clay*) I have one room in my house that's for "creativity" and half of the basement FULL of stuff!! I'm thinking bout running an add and having some sort of auctin this summer. Maybe, have a local jazz band play out back and serve Mimosas and hors d'oeuvres.

I've never been much into collecting things. Material things, that is. I love to browse through friends' collections and find it facinating, but, I never got into it.

Arcades057
14-Jun-2006, 01:01 AM
The rep thing is really annoying. It does limit you to a point. If you have no reps you can't play any games in the arcade. It's a kind of stupid system that definately seems to be abused, as no matter what Sven posts, he gets hit negatively. Apparently, Sven, people think you are DCBURNY, so all the DC haters are gonna come after you.

(wait until they find out that you're really GrimStories!! :elol:

Svengoolie
14-Jun-2006, 01:17 AM
If I remember correctly...you loved "Steel City", didn't you Jan?;)

Graebel
14-Jun-2006, 01:19 AM
As for the producers, I meant that they changed a lot of what Romero wanted for the movie. Location, requiring storyboards and much more restricted shooting/formatting.

Romero has said in more than one interview that a lot of his films were made more 'organically' and evolved throughout the filming. I think that showed in the final product. Whereas I wonder if some of the stilted scenes and dialogue would have changed if there had been more flexibility.

Griff
14-Jun-2006, 05:44 AM
Point 1:

I wasn't implying that Christine Romero said anything. I was suggesting that although George was given almost absolute freedom to make the film he wanted to, his resources were most certainly limited to do so. Not unlike DAY OF THE DEAD - except he chose to film the same story but tone down the scale of individual scenes. LAND OF THE DEAD was a notoriously difficult shoot and Romero himself has lamented he wasn't able to give some scenes the attention he felt they deserved (e.g. the hanging scene - which he even cut out of the theatrical version entirely because he thought it turned out to be so ineffective). That's not interference but it is compromise and the producers were the ones cracking the whip. Graebel's post above this one is exactly what I was originally inferring.

Point 2:

Have you read the scripts to KNIGHTRIDERS, CREEPSHOW, DAY OF THE DEAD mkII, MONKEY SHINES, THE DARK HALF & BRUISER then? Because I'd like to.

And I'd just like to point out that DAWN OF THE DEAD turned out bigger and even better than the script, no doubt due to the flexibility that Graebel mentions.

MinionZombie
14-Jun-2006, 10:32 AM
Sometimes when giving out rep people give it out in hindsight, but can't remember where the post deserving the rep was, so they just pick any old post that they find by the member they're repping, or it's not about a particular post, the rep is about the person in general - irrespective of a specific post.

krisvds
15-Jun-2006, 11:46 AM
What's not to like if you consider yourself a 'living dead' fan? I mean, Land is like the ultimate geek fantasy! The photography was awesome; the 'feel' of the world inhabited by the dead was spot on. And when did you last see a mature horror film in the cinema that included so many endearing characters? I mean; Asia, Robert, John, Dennis, Simon, ... all of them are so obviously into this madness it's hard not to feel their enthusiasm for Romero's (what's up with all this GAR **** anyway huh, sorry gettin' old) fantasy! And where does all the complaining about there being no 'character development' come from? Jesus; as if the previous dead films were not populated by stereotypical characters? I mean where's the difference between the Ben from the beginning of Night, and the end? Or Sarah from Day? Or any of the other ones? Ok; flyboy goes from being alive to being very much undead in dawn but thats hardly character development now is it?
I love Land to bloody pieces; It works like clockwork; there is no excess fat to this film at all; it's a masterpiece of editing and atmosphere, the FX are fantastic as is the camerawork and the acting, the social commentary is hardly subtle but works a charm in the undead setting (as usual) + dead reckoning! Asia in those stockings in the arena! The zombies crossing the river! Johnny Legs having his undead revenge on Kaufman! Kaufman's 'get down!' line, Every scene with Robert Joy in it. I could go on for hours, fact is: we now got four brilliant zombie flicks to choose from in those late hours when we've just rolled one and are ready to enter this fantastic world created by Romero. Here's hoping for a fifth coming ...

bassman
15-Jun-2006, 12:11 PM
Nice to see some enthusiasm about "Land". Stick around, man....we could use a guy like you.:p

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2006, 12:27 PM
What's not to like if you consider yourself a 'living dead' fan? I mean, Land is like the ultimate geek fantasy! The photography was awesome; the 'feel' of the world inhabited by the dead was spot on. And when did you last see a mature horror film in the cinema that included so many endearing characters? I mean; Asia, Robert, John, Dennis, Simon, ... all of them are so obviously into this madness it's hard not to feel their enthusiasm...

endearing is not a word I would choose. They are cookie cutter characters. I don't feel their enthusiasm, and I feel everyone phoned in their performance. Except for Robert Joy whom I thought did a fantastic job. Everyone else was forgettable at best.

Last Mature horror film I had seen was DAWN 2004. You may not think so but I felt that film was much better and more reflected the anxiety of the characters than LOTD ever could.

I love Romero's original 3 films, and as far as I am concerned he has only made a trilogy. I will never count LOTD as part of the series because it just isn't up to par with the rest of the films. It is... an anomaly.

bassman
15-Jun-2006, 12:31 PM
endearing is not a word I would choose. They are cookie cutter characters. I don't feel their enthusiasm, and I feel everyone phoned in their performance. Except for Robert Joy whom I thought did a fantastic job. Everyone else was forgettable at best.

Last Mature horror film I had seen was DAWN 2004. You may not think so but I felt that film was much better and more reflected the anxiety of the characters than LOTD ever could.

I love Romero's original 3 films, and as far as I am concerned he has only made a trilogy. I will never count LOTD as part of the series because it just isn't up to par with the rest of the films. It is... an anomaly.

This is DJ. He's had a stick up his a** ever since "Land of the Dead" was released.:D

It's cool though....he makes fun of "Land" and I make fun of "Yawn04". It's a very mutual, giving relationship...

:p

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2006, 12:35 PM
This is DJ. He's had a stick up his a** ever since "Land of the Dead" was released.:D

It's cool though....he makes fun of "Land" and I make fun of "Yawn04". It's a very mutual, giving relationship...

Yes it is... :p

For those with insomnia problems

Just pop in the BLAND dvd and you're out in 15 minutes.

krisvds
15-Jun-2006, 01:05 PM
Yawn of the dead? Lol

What a cluttered mess that was huh? So many characters, so much tedium, ... and fast zombies? People moving faster while their bodies are decaying?
Seriously Yawn '04 can't hold a candle to the original which is my all time favourite undead film,... but hey it wasn't half bad! It was all bad!

And what's up with people who don't find Asia in those fishnet-stockings (pardon my english folks, no worries I'm Belgian) endearing? Though come to think of it 'endearing' probably doesn't properly explain the warm cosy feeling i get in my belly everytime i watch that scene ;)

bassman
15-Jun-2006, 01:10 PM
Yawn of the dead? Lol

What a cluttered mess that was huh? So many characters, so much tedium, ... and fast zombies? People moving faster while their bodies are decaying?
Seriously Yawn '04 can't hold a candle to the original which is my all time favourite undead film,... but hey it wasn't half bad! It was all bad!

And what's up with people who don't find Asia in those fishnet-stockings (pardon my english folks, no worries I'm Belgian) endearing? Though come to think of it 'endearing' probably doesn't properly explain the warm cosy feeling i get in my belly everytime i watch that scene ;)

Yeah.....you and I are going to get along real nice, buddy:lol:

Some folks around here despise "Land".....but I don't think you'll find any arguments about Asia Argento's looks...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah.....you and I are going to get along real nice, buddy:lol:

Some folks around here despise "Land".....but I don't think you'll find any arguments about Asia Argento's looks...

I don't find some hot broad in fishnets endearing either. All it does it make me drool and say... If I had the chance...

Since I will never get the chance or even get the consideration... I can't find her costume endearing. She played a junkie hooker... Whats so endearing about a junkie hooker? :elol:

bassman
15-Jun-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't find some hot broad in fishnets endearing either. All it does it make me drool and say... If I had the chance...

Since I will never get the chance or even get the consideration... I can't find her costume endearing. She played a junkie hooker... Whats so endearing about a junkie hooker? :elol:

I wasn't saying that her looks made the film any better. She's just hot.

DJ, take a hand and grab between your legs. That's where your balls used to be.:lol:

Graebel
15-Jun-2006, 05:05 PM

Well some of us are women.

But she is hot.

The only city I've ever seen hot hookers was Waikiki - and those women are vicious evil broads who'd knife you as soon as look at you. Maybe its not that people don't like Asia, but the good looking hooker with a heart of gold seems more fiction than fact.

LouCipherr
15-Jun-2006, 07:15 PM
She played a junkie hooker... Whats so endearing about a junkie hooker? :elol:

oh, I don't know, maybe because she'd blow you for a few lines of coke? that seems a bit endearing to me.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2006, 08:49 PM
I wasn't saying that her looks made the film any better. She's just hot.

DJ, take a hand and grab between your legs. That's where your balls used to be.:lol:

Well i did as you instructed and I found the biggest set of balls in the galaxy. I have to have a big set of balls to be in a community that loves LOTD and to be one of only 7 people who hates it.

:D

oh, I don't know, maybe because she'd blow you for a few lines of coke? that seems a bit endearing to me.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any hooker whom would do that is probably infected with something... I ain't catching the hokie Pokies from some crackhead... just to get a blow job. No thanks I will pass.

bassman
15-Jun-2006, 08:51 PM
Well i did as you instructed and I found the biggest set of balls in the galaxy. I have to have a big set of balls to be in a community that loves LOTD and to be one of only 7 people who hates it.

As long as you remember that you're in the minority, here.....And that Argento is hot.....

LouCipherr
15-Jun-2006, 11:24 PM
Any hooker whom would do that is probably infected with something... I ain't catching the hokie Pokies from some crackhead... just to get a blow job. No thanks I will pass.

Meh, just a technicality.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

krisvds
16-Jun-2006, 05:24 AM
Let's not forget Asia can act a bit as well. Seriously, I find her a joy to watch and her scenes with Robert Joy, in the final third of the movie are spot on.
It seems Land is going down the 'Day' route as far as initial reactions to the film are concerned. I remember lotsa complaints when 'day' was released; zombies cant be smart, the characters are too 'comic book', and so on.
(sigh). When i want psychological depth I'll watch some Truffaud (les 400 coups, brilliant film ) or citizen Kane. When i want a horror fantasy with brains (love the social subtext to the dead films) and balls (AND asia in fishnets people!), well ...

Funny that the Land-haters are always on about the lack of subtlety and depth to the film AND at the same time seem to prefer Yawn 'O4 (i'll never call it anything else henceforth). I'm probably too Belgian to get that.

general tbag
16-Jun-2006, 06:34 AM
she wasnt a hooker by choice , kauffman forced her into it. and she didnt smoke crack.

DjfunkmasterG
16-Jun-2006, 12:48 PM
How do we know she didn't smoke crack? She roled her own joint in the can... She probably was a drug addict. :D

In a f*cked up society like that, most people would turn to drug use.

EvilNed
16-Jun-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm probably too Belgian to get that.

According to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Belgium is the most insulting, offensive word ever.

bassman
16-Jun-2006, 01:40 PM
According to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Belgium is the most insulting, offensive word ever.

I thought that was "I wouldn't want to go anywhere without my wonderful towel"?

EvilNed
16-Jun-2006, 06:56 PM
I thought that was "I wouldn't want to go anywhere without my wonderful towel"?

No, that's a phrase that just means something horribly offensive in the language of those aliens that happened to overhear it. And that's only in the movie version. In the books, television and radioshows, the phrase is actually "I seem to be having tremendous difficulties with my lifestyle."

Altough even in the film, you can sometimes hear Ford Prefect say things like "Belgian bullocks!" in the background. Belgium (and belgian being the adjective, I guess) is a universally offensive word.

bassman
16-Jun-2006, 08:00 PM
No, that's a phrase that just means something horribly offensive in the language of those aliens that happened to overhear it. And that's only in the movie version. In the books, television and radioshows, the phrase is actually "I seem to be having tremendous difficulties with my lifestyle."

Altough even in the film, you can sometimes hear Ford Prefect say things like "Belgian bullocks!" in the background. Belgium (and belgian being the adjective, I guess) is a universally offensive word.

Ah, I see. I never read the books or any of that other stuff. I did find the movie to be freaking hilarious, though.

Adrenochrome
16-Jun-2006, 11:15 PM
Ah, I see. I never read the books or any of that other stuff. I did find the movie to be freaking hilarious, though.
My friend, there is only ONE other book besides the Hitchhiker's series that made me wet myself during the reading.....that ONE, beautiful book is A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It literally put me into a coma from laughter.
http://www.catalog-of-cool.com/dunces.jpg

Harold W Brown
17-Jun-2006, 06:18 AM

Heart of gold. It's science fact.

Deadman_Deluxe
17-Jun-2006, 09:07 PM
So the people who dislike Land of the Dead form the minority here .... that was already a given, so what else is new? :D

EvilNed
18-Jun-2006, 02:13 AM
Heart of gold. It's science fact.

Funny you should say that because Heart of Gold was the name of the ship that Zaphod Beeblebrox stole in the first Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy book!

Ok, I'll stop now... :P

Cody
18-Jun-2006, 08:40 AM
middle

krisvds
19-Jun-2006, 01:23 PM
So Mr. Adams claims 'belgium' is the most offensive word in the entire universe huh? Wait 'till you meet one!
To add insult to injury Belgian newspapers today reported that according to a recent poll the extreme right wing party 'Vlaams Belang' (fascists really) can get 26% of the votes come october (elections).
Land of the dead indeed!

Fulcifan91
19-Jun-2006, 09:49 PM
I think Land will end up like Day, how alot of people didnt like it when it came out, but more and more people appreciate it as it gets older

panic
21-Jun-2006, 04:45 AM
The only thing I appreciate about the passage of time with respect to Bland of the Dead is that it means its been longer since I had to sit through it.

I think Land will end up like Day, how alot of people didnt like it when it came out, but more and more people appreciate it as it gets older

bassman
21-Jun-2006, 12:02 PM
The only thing I appreciate about the passage of time with respect to Bland of the Dead is that it means its been longer since I had to sit through it.

awww...poor baby angwy? Wanna ba-ba?

DjfunkmasterG
21-Jun-2006, 02:59 PM
He has opinion about Bland as do I.

I have to agree there really is no passage of time that will make me wanna sit through LOTD and enjoy it more.

bassman
21-Jun-2006, 03:09 PM
He has opinion about Bland as do I.

I have to agree there really is no passage of time that will make me wanna sit through LOTD and enjoy it more.

Yeah, yeah....it was just a joke.

You could at least call it "Land", though. As much as I dislike "Dawn04" I stopped calling it "Yawn" because it just adds fuel to the fire around here...

MinionZombie
21-Jun-2006, 04:39 PM
Well I'll keep calling it Yawn04, muahahahahaaaaaaa. And the 'new' Day of the Dead will be called "Day of the Remake" by me from now on, Contagium is just a big old bag of penis (my new favourite insult), so...:D

dmbfanintn
21-Jun-2006, 07:28 PM
what do we do if it suddenly gets up and starts eating warm flesh? :dead:

Do you really have to aske that DJ?????

We would shoot it in the head, Duh;)

DjfunkmasterG
21-Jun-2006, 09:01 PM
Do you really have to aske that DJ?????

We would shoot it in the head, Duh;)

But what if it was reactivated by 245 Trioxin?

Now what? :p

Bassman when responding to you I will call it LAND, to MZ I will call in BLAND since he wants to continue with YAWN 04. :D

Fair enough?

erisi236
23-Jun-2006, 01:06 AM
hee hee "Bland of the Dead" thats much better then the not so good "Land of the Suck" that I've also seen :D

and the Day remake will be "Day of the Dud" to me, unless it proves otherwise...which it won't :D

Harold W Brown
24-Jun-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah, yeah....it was just a joke.

You could at least call it "Land", though. As much as I dislike "Dawn04" I stopped calling it "Yawn" because it just adds fuel to the fire around here...

It's also, on either side of the argument, borderline retarded as a film criticism. We're not 12 years old. Make your points like grownups. People will take you more seriously.:rockbrow:

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2006, 10:24 AM
You can still make a serious argument and call Snyder's flick "Yawn04", I certainly am capable of it. :rockbrow:

panic
25-Jun-2006, 09:54 PM
We could always refer to Land as GINO (GAR In Name Only) in homage to the tardlings that insist on referring to Dawn '04 as DINO.

bassman
26-Jun-2006, 12:05 PM
It's also, on either side of the argument, borderline retarded as a film criticism. We're not 12 years old. Make your points like grownups. People will take you more seriously.:rockbrow:

We have made our points, Mr. Brown. Numerous times, actually....

We're not twelve years old but using the phrase "retarded" in such a manner is okay?:rolleyes:

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jun-2006, 12:30 PM
We could always refer to Land as GINO (GAR In Name Only) in homage to the tardlings that insist on referring to Dawn '04 as DINO.

Kudo's... GINO/BLAND it is! :D

bassman
26-Jun-2006, 02:12 PM
GINO = GAR in name only?

That doesn't make any sense...

How could it be Romero in name only? He only wrote and directed the damn movie. The "in name only" will only work for "Dawn04".

MinionZombie
26-Jun-2006, 05:45 PM
pfft, don't mess with the classics maaaaan ... I'm sticking with Yawn04. :D

Kaos
26-Jun-2006, 09:25 PM
pfft, don't mess with the classics maaaaan ... I'm sticking with Yawn04. :D

There is plenty of room for more derisive monikers. :)