PDA

View Full Version : So who here reads the walking dead?

Andy
21-Apr-2009, 03:06 PM
Ive used to read them but i only got up to issue 6, i bought 7, 8 and 9 and have read them through and i have to say i am actually genuinely suprised by the story, i cant wait for 10 to come out :D

AcesandEights
21-Apr-2009, 03:13 PM
It's weird that you bring up the Walking Dead today, as it occurred to me on the way in to work that I need to hustle over to Midtown Comics soon so I don't miss one or more issues, the book is known for its somewhat uneven schedule with regards to its floppy book releases.

Thorn
21-Apr-2009, 03:13 PM
I am a rabid fan.

The Walking Dead, Vol. 9: Here We Remain is already out and available here, I have read it and was impressed. After 8, you did not know what to expect I mean that was kind of a major arc. 9 was good if not a bit more of a gentle ride.

Great art, great characters, and Romero rules. What's not to love right?

Andy
21-Apr-2009, 03:15 PM
Volume 8 was so intense, i could not put it down, literally could not.

3pidemiC
21-Apr-2009, 03:35 PM
I've got all of the large books, but now I'm just waiting for the next volume to come out. Great series!

Thorn
21-Apr-2009, 04:11 PM
Volume 8 was so intense, i could not put it down, literally could not.

I totally agree, I was right there with you I read it in one sitting. Had to re-read it since to do a body count. What an amazing story though!

AcesandEights
21-Apr-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah, the whole no-one is safe arc was a nail-biter all the way through! :)

capncnut
21-Apr-2009, 05:11 PM
I have the anthology book and have read about half of it. It's pretty decent.

AcesandEights
21-Apr-2009, 06:03 PM
So I took a lunch today, went out and picked up the new Walking Dead (#60). It was a solid story, too short in the original format, as always, but very well done.

Good news is that there was a huuuuge 5 page(!) teaser spread for an upcoming story arc and it looked badass!

No spoiler info from me, of course.

Thorn
21-Apr-2009, 06:27 PM
So I took a lunch today, went out and picked up the new Walking Dead (#60). It was a solid story, too short in the original format, as always, but very well done.

Good news is that there was a huuuuge 5 page(!) teaser spread for an upcoming story arc and it looked badass!

No spoiler info from me, of course.

Okay I am getting anxious now!

Andy
21-Apr-2009, 06:40 PM
Im actually confused by the numbering of the walking dead books, according to amazon volume 10 is the newest and not out yet, yet some people refer to issues and go up to 60?!

There's also the hardback, paperback and anthology walking dead's too.. what are those?

All i know for sure is i have volumes 1 to 9.

AcesandEights
21-Apr-2009, 06:51 PM
Im actually confused by the numbering of the walking dead books, according to amazon volume 10 is the newest and not out yet, yet some people refer to issues and go up to 60?!

The Walking Dead comes out as a traditional-style, monthly comic book (I referred to it as a 'floppy book' in above posts, because the pages & cover are soft and they...well...flop). Then there is the anthology and hardbacks, which are just collected issues of the book that vary by their size (i.e. number of collected issues per volume).

Buying the collected issues in the anthologies is the way to go from a cost perspective and gratifying to be able to read a decent length of the story in one go. The monthly comics are good to sate the immediate need for the story and also have a lively...usually quite long...letter section more often than not answered by Kirkman (the writer of the series).

DawnGirl27
21-Apr-2009, 07:27 PM
I only have the first 3, but am looking forward to getting caught up. My brother got me the first 2 and I have to agree they are very well done. Keep you wanting more...and more...and more.... And from what the rest of you have said, I need to get my butt in gear and get after the others!

ProfessorChaos
21-Apr-2009, 08:46 PM
i've been hearing lots about this, and was already planning on checking into the anthologies sometime soon. after reading so many positive reviews for the series, i'm pretty sure it'll be worth the time/money.

MoonSylver
21-Apr-2009, 10:17 PM
Got the 1st two graphic novels/trade paper backs a couple years ago (I'd say that's what you have Andy. They compile (3? 6?) issues to the TPB). Damn good stuff. Romero style zombies & a focus on the CHARACTERS & STORYTELLING. Only thing that has kept me from getting the rest is financial considerations...:(

DawnGirl27
21-Apr-2009, 10:50 PM
Only thing that has kept me from getting the rest is financial considerations...:(

Me, too, Moon, but I guess we gotta' put our priorities in line and make some sacrifices... ;)

MagicMoonMonkey
21-Apr-2009, 11:06 PM
The one thing I love about this epic story is that no character is safe in the world they now live.

Over the course of the books we have has many shock deaths. Particularily in Book 8. I did think the unthinkable and believed that Rick had died in book 9. I still reckon he will be killed off soon though.

Book 10 won't be due out until the autumn probably, but I do keep my fingers crossed that they will find a schedule for the collected editions release dates that is more rigid than the schedule type they employ currently.

As a matter of interest, does anyone buy the monthly editions? If so, what number is that particular part of the series up to?

shootemindehead
21-Apr-2009, 11:12 PM
Yep, reading the graphic novels too. Or should I say my girlfriends graphic novels.

Would love to see this done as a film, or a series. Unfortunately, a series about the living dead would be insipid...like most TV shows. :(

AcesandEights
21-Apr-2009, 11:17 PM
(Admin, could you please hide the spoiler mentioned. I do not know how to do it myself. Thank you)

Just wrap the text you want between the word "Spoiler" in brackets with a / in front of the last Spoiler...like this: Text to be hidden[/spoiler <---example].

Or just quote me to look at how i set this spoiler up:

[spoiler]Don't know if my example made sense...click "quote" to see how I used the spoiler tags.

Andy
22-Apr-2009, 12:08 AM
Done :D

MoonSylver
22-Apr-2009, 12:38 AM
Me, too, Moon, but I guess we gotta' put our priorities in line and make some sacrifices... ;)

:D

Remember when you were a kid & you thought "This sucks. I never have any money & don't get to do what I want! I can't wait 'till I grow up."

Then you grow up & think ""This sucks. I never have any money & don't get to do what I want! AND I've got all these bills, AND a bunch of stress, AND I've lost my hair, AND...."

The moral of this story is wish I was a kid again or life sucks or something...I forget now....:lol:

strayrider
22-Apr-2009, 12:58 AM
I've pretty much followed this series from the beginning. Missed Issue #1, but I own #2-#60 and the first three trade paperbacks. Kirkland's writing style has matured greatly since the beginning and that's probably the reason I keep reading.

Good series.

:D

-stray-

SRP76
22-Apr-2009, 01:32 AM
I read volumes 2-8 (since that's what my library has), and that's it. It's pretty good. I don't "love" the series, but I've read worse. Much worse, actually.

MikePizzoff
22-Apr-2009, 02:25 PM
I've got the first 6 volumes of the trade books. Gotta catch up.

Mr.G
22-Apr-2009, 04:55 PM
I've been reading since issue #1.... my only complaint would be having Tony Moore back for art. The current guy is good but Tony's work is great IMO.

Thorn
23-Apr-2009, 03:03 PM
I've been reading since issue #1.... my only complaint would be having Tony Moore back for art. The current guy is good but Tony's work is great IMO.

I agree with this sentiment.

http://mondomedeusah.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/25/walkingdead.jpg

AcesandEights
23-Apr-2009, 03:26 PM
Please don't remind me of the unbreakable super-katana :p

And yeah, that was some badass art.

Mr.G
23-Apr-2009, 05:12 PM
Thorn...how much would something like that set me back?

Oh, #100 post!

Thorn
23-Apr-2009, 05:21 PM
Around $75-$350 dollars depending on the artist, and what the page content was. Splash pages like the one above go for the high end of the price range.

Here is a link to some art from the series...

SPOILERS HERE IN THE FORM OF ORIGINAL ART:
http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=699

Craig
24-Apr-2009, 05:30 PM
Never been a big comic/graphic novel fan, but I had heard of this before and it's now looking really quite interesting to me. Thing is I already had a few books/films planned to buy, and me being as conservative with money as I am even a £5.99 price for the first volume makes it tough to decide.

ProfessorChaos
28-Apr-2009, 11:00 PM
just got the first hardcover in the mail today. will begin reading tonight. very impressed with what i saw just flipping through the pages.

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2009, 04:24 PM
just got the first hardcover in the mail today. will begin reading tonight. very impressed with what i saw just flipping through the pages.

Mwuhahahahaha! I'm happy for you, man. Now when you say hardcover, is it one of the anthologies (not so hard, but harder than a floppy-covered monthly comic book), or one of those huge, honkin' collected editions (over an inch thick easily, in case you're not sure)?

Either way, I'll be interested in your opinion.

ProfessorChaos
29-Apr-2009, 09:43 PM
no, it's the big hardcover book. http://a1.vox.com/6a00c2252351328e1d00e398ce4bb10003-500pi

and it is fucking sweet. only made it through the first chapter, the part which concludes with rick's son learing about the difference between killing living people and dead people. i've already decided i'm going to order the other 3 hardcovers. i was fucking insta-hooked, dude. what a great story.

along with wwz, probably the best zombie-related original story to hit in the last decade. i really can't speak enough to how great the story has been so far....better than any recent zombie movie, that's for sure. where the fuck have i been since this came out? thanks to all who recommended this!

Danny
07-May-2009, 01:51 AM
ive been a reader since issue one, got first printings of them all but lately ive kind of been bored by it, i think there sort of losing a direction for the characters, and they hinted a year or so back that "even if rick and the guys die" theres other peoples stories going on" or something like that, honestly i can see a new group bieng writeten about soon discovered ricks group, now part of a zombie herd after an attack they finally couldnt defend.
Maybe its just how everyone seems to hate everything now, back in earlier issues like the town they reach in winter thats been used to trap zombies, or the whole first volume it felt like a real survival story, where people where against the elements, and even the ombies were a force of nature, then the travelling arc was great too, some real character development you dont usually get. the prison arc though was where i got bored with it, the later portion involving rick and a phone was actually powerful stuff compared to the other events going on but right now it feels like resisdent evil extinction, there the only ones left in a barren world and we'll see this and nothing else for a long time.

-Though in hindsight ive recently got into preacher adn transmepolitan so maybe im just in the mood for a different type of comic lately.

ProfessorChaos
12-May-2009, 03:29 AM
why is it so hard to find a copy of the 2nd hardcover book? every website i visit is out of stock...just got books 3 and 4 in the mail today, but they're just gonna have to sit there till i can find a copy of book 2 at a semi-reasonable price...

there appears to be two different editions (2 different ISBN's) listed on amazon at the moment, anyone have any idea what's missing in the edition with less pages?

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Book-Bk/dp/1582407592/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Book-Nos-13-24/dp/1582406987/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2

was thinking of ordering the cheaper one, but sometimes amazon vendors will fuck you in situations like these (see NOTLD 30th anniversary edition threads for details)

AcesandEights
13-May-2009, 08:06 PM
why is it so hard to find a copy of the 2nd hardcover book? every website i visit is out of stock...just got books 3 and 4 in the mail today, but they're just gonna have to sit there till i can find a copy of book 2 at a semi-reasonable price...

there appears to be two different editions (2 different ISBN's) listed on amazon at the moment, anyone have any idea what's missing in the edition with less pages?

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Book-Bk/dp/1582407592/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Book-Nos-13-24/dp/1582406987/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2

was thinking of ordering the cheaper one, but sometimes amazon vendors will fuck you in situations like these (see NOTLD 30th anniversary edition threads for details)

Not sure why it's so hard to find, but I saw 6 of them sitting out on a shelf at Midtown Comics (http://www.midtowncomics.com/) today. See if they will mail order one to you and if the price is okay. Note: You might want to call them, as I didn't see any copies listed on their website, but know I saw them shelved at their Manhattan location.

ProfessorChaos
13-May-2009, 08:17 PM
their website has a limited signed edition listed at $50.99...which is a bit more than i'd care to pay.

i have an one on order from amazon, but it's backordered and they haven't even given an estimated shipping date...and books 3 and 4 sit idly on my bookshelf with shrinkwrap on them.

CooperWasRight
14-May-2009, 02:04 AM
ive been a reader since issue one, got first printings of them all but lately ive kind of been bored by it, i think there sort of losing a direction for the characters, and they hinted a year or so back that "even if rick and the guys die" theres other peoples stories going on" or something like that, honestly i can see a new group bieng writeten about soon discovered ricks group, now part of a zombie herd after an attack they finally couldnt defend.
Maybe its just how everyone seems to hate everything now, back in earlier issues like the town they reach in winter thats been used to trap zombies, or the whole first volume it felt like a real survival story, where people where against the elements, and even the ombies were a force of nature, then the travelling arc was great too, some real character development you dont usually get. the prison arc though was where i got bored with it, the later portion involving rick and a phone was actually powerful stuff compared to the other events going on but right now it feels like resisdent evil extinction, there the only ones left in a barren world and we'll see this and nothing else for a long time.

-Though in hindsight ive recently got into preacher adn transmepolitan so maybe im just in the mood for a different type of comic lately.

SLIGHT SPOILER

I have been reading since about 6 or 7.... I think Kirkman lost his touch for a while there with the major blood...er I mean Governor. He was pretty 1 dimensional and predictable even returning from what should certainly killed him.

That aside I think Kirkman write a book that is honest and pretty realistic and keeps you guessing. When it stays on schedule it is something I look forward to every month.

Nice to finally see a thread here on TWD.

DeadJonas190
14-May-2009, 02:45 AM
As a matter of interest, does anyone buy the monthly editions? If so, what number is that particular part of the series up to?

I have been buying since issue 1 and have first edition printings of them all (including the super rare issue 2, only a couple thousand were first print). The good news is that since Kirkman became a partner at Image the issues have finally been coming out on a regular monthly basis instead of sporadically like they used to be.

They are currently on issue 61, which came out today and that issue was amazing. My jaw hit the floor more than once, Kirkman has done it once again and shocked me more than I thought a comic could.

Ben killing Billy, his twin brother, was crazy, his reply even more insane "Don't worry mommy, he'll come back, I didn't hurt the brain." Then Carl sneaking into the van to kill Ben was even more shocking. Then this whole new preacher finding them and the people hiding in the woods at the end... I can't wait a month for the next issue!

ProfessorChaos
08-Jun-2009, 01:46 AM
well, i finally got a copy of the 2nd hardcover sit down with all four books and read the entire story from issues 1-48. and holy fuck, what an awesome read. if you're a fan of Romero's films and haven't got around to checking this out, the hype is definitely legit, trust me.

so, anyone have any idea when the fifth hardcover book is due out? since the hardcover books contain 12 issues and jonas says he just got issue 61, it should be arriving shortly, right?

the 4th hardcover ends with the massacre between the governor's cronies and rick's group, tons of main character deaths (including rick's wife and the baby), and the prison being overrun and rick and his son fleeing on foot with a backpack of supplies. that was a fucking crazy ending, and one hell of a cliff-hanger.....i can't wait to find out what happens next!

Danny
08-Jun-2009, 02:28 AM
I have been buying since issue 1 and have first edition printings of them all (including the super rare issue 2, only a couple thousand were first print). The good news is that since Kirkman became a partner at Image the issues have finally been coming out on a regular monthly basis instead of sporadically like they used to be.

They are currently on issue 61, which came out today and that issue was amazing. My jaw hit the floor more than once, Kirkman has done it once again and shocked me more than I thought a comic could.

Ben killing Billy, his twin brother, was crazy, his reply even more insane "Don't worry mommy, he'll come back, I didn't hurt the brain." Then Carl sneaking into the van to kill Ben was even more shocking. Then this whole new preacher finding them and the people hiding in the woods at the end... I can't wait a month for the next issue!

i know right?, fucked up as shit, though i hope the preacher is more of a voice of reason in this, making him another "preacher whos gona crazy" would be bullshit, hell when i was 12 i wrote something very similar, and when i was 12 i couldnt write for shit.:lol:

Mike70
08-Jun-2009, 02:32 AM
well, i finally got a copy of the 2nd hardcover sit down with all four books and read the entire story from issues 1-48. and holy fuck, what an awesome read. if you're a fan of Romero's films and haven't got around to checking this out, the hype is definitely legit, trust me.

the hype sure is legit. i've only read up to issue 48 so far and keep meaning to get the rest.

AcesandEights
08-Jun-2009, 02:56 PM
i know right?, fucked up as shit, though i hope the preacher is more of a voice of reason in this, making him another "preacher whos gona crazy" would be bullshit, hell when i was 12 i wrote something very similar, and when i was 12 i couldnt write for shit.:lol:

Well, do you think he might be....
A plant from the group that will seemingly be hunting Rick & co. in upcoming issues? Or would that be too obvious and this dude is just a head fake in that direction? I'm thinking he'll have another twist to him we're not supposed to see coming and he will be using Rick's group to get back to his own 'settlement' or make it to his own destination of choice. while possibly screening them in the interim to see how trustworthy/dangerous they are.

*Shrug* Who knows.

MissJacksonCA
13-Jul-2009, 12:49 AM
God bless it someone here reccomended the series to me about a year or two ago and got me hooked. Then I got a few people I know hooked. I'm not a big comic book kinda fan but its like watching storyboards for a movie. I love that the books are unpredictable and no one is safe. Breaks my heart when a treasured character dies but its so good because there's no book rating system that prohibits any kind of behavior, language, or scene. Its much more no-holds-barred. Good times :thumbsup:

ProfessorChaos
01-Sep-2009, 08:08 PM
the fifth hardcover book is available for pre-order on amazon now. release date is late january next year...

oh yeah, and this makes 1,500 posts:D

ProfessorChaos
10-Feb-2010, 11:54 PM
well, i placed a pre-order for book 5 a couple of months ago. release date was 29 january, or so i've heard. original shipping date was a couple days ago (8 feb), but today i got an email saying there's a problem of some sort and it won't be shipped until next week....:annoyed:

anyone find a copy of book 5 yet? wondering if it made the release date or if there was a shortage or something....

AcesandEights
11-Feb-2010, 01:33 AM
anyone find a copy of book 5 yet? wondering if it made the release date or if there was a shortage or something....

I have this recollection of reading that the release dates were always subject to reality check. Maybe check over at the Kirkman's boards (quick google should turn it up).

Mr.G
11-Feb-2010, 02:07 PM
well, i placed a pre-order for book 5 a couple of months ago. release date was 29 january, or so i've heard. original shipping date was a couple days ago (8 feb), but today i got an email saying there's a problem of some sort and it won't be shipped until next week....:annoyed:

In the past it seemed easier to read the TPB instead of the monthly floppies but Kirkman & crew have stepped their game up the last year and have been consistent in TWD coming out monthly.

ProfessorChaos
06-Apr-2010, 10:56 PM
http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/amc-casts-walking-dead-lead-.html

don't recall seeing this actor in anything, but oh well. c'mon, october!

EDIT: and the fifth hardcover still isn't out yet.....:bored:

MissJacksonCA
07-Apr-2010, 12:51 AM
I know that guy from somewhere... and I think its going to be great. So excited for TWD to be made into reality... dig Frank Darabont

clanglee
07-Apr-2010, 12:52 AM
http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/amc-casts-walking-dead-lead-.html

don't recall seeing this actor in anything, but oh well. c'mon, october!

EDIT: and the fifth hardcover still isn't out yet.....:bored:

What's up with all you limeys taking all of our American acting jobs!?!!?! ;)

ProfessorChaos
27-May-2010, 07:25 AM
well, ladies and gents, the fifth hardcover is finally available for ordering. amazon's got it in stock right now.....about time.

sadly, i've got an MLB game to go to this weekend, apartment rent due next week, a camping/float trip next weekend, then a wedding in tennessee to attend the following weekend, so funds aren't available right now...but it is on my wishlist and i'll be getting mine around late june. looking forward to catching up with rick and his kid after the mayhem that went down at the prison.

DjfunkmasterG
27-May-2010, 01:28 PM
I am eagerly awaiting the TV show.

But I have all the Graphic Novels and issues 1-12 in comic form.

Eyebiter
27-May-2010, 01:38 PM
Our local library started stocking the black and white graphic novels (each one collects six issues of the comic book series).