PDA

View Full Version : Sony and Microsoft recommend Wii.

p2501
11-May-2006, 03:42 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060511/wr_nm/expo_microsoft_dc;_ylt=Ap1kOCJerO1AXDEpGDIOSPhU.3Q A;_ylu=X3oDMTA4ZnRnZjhkBHNlYwMxNjk1

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. sided with rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. on Wednesday in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news)., saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3.

The bad blood between Sony and Microsoft in the fight for dominance in the nearly $30 billion video game industry has escalated over the last few days, with both sides trading barbs at the E3 Expo, the video game industry's annual trade show.

Microsoft entered the next-generation game console market first with its Xbox 360 last November.

Sony aims to extend its market leadership with its upcoming PS3, while Nintendo plans to offer a new game machine called Wii in the fourth quarter.

"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Microsoft predicted on Tuesday it will have 10 million Xbox 360 consoles in the market before Sony launches the PS3. The high-end Xbox 360 sells for $399, but it does not include a built-in high-definition DVD video player that comes with Sony's PS3.

Sony plans to sell a premium PS3 model for $599 when it debuts in North America on November 17, and Nintendo has not yet disclosed pricing for Wii.

Wii comes equipped with motion sensitive controllers to allow users to mimic the motion of wielding a sword or swinging a tennis racket.

Moore then turned pitchman for Nintendo's Wii, the latest offering from the Japanese company that once dominated the video game industry.

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.

Sony currently dominates the worldwide video game market with a 66 percent share, while Microsoft and Nintendo each hold 17 percent, according to Strategy Analytics.

"We have 100 percent market share of the next-generation, and their job is to take that from us," said Moore.

"When I think on everything that we've got going right now that is real versus what Sony promises to do six, seven months from now, obviously we feel very good about where we stand."

LOST IN TRANSLATION

Despite Microsoft's head start with the Xbox 360, the software giant still faces an uphill climb in Sony and Nintendo's home turf.

Microsoft received a tepid response to its Xbox 360 debut in Japan and demand fell short of expectations during last year's holiday season when it sold about 100,000 machines.

The company introduced a competitively priced console in Japan, but some of its game titles did not appeal to Japanese gamers. Moore expects upcoming role-playing games like "Lost Odyssey" and "Blue Dragon" from the creator of the popular "Final Fantasy" series to do well in Japan.

"Quite frankly," said Moore, "if we're sitting here a year from now and things continue to fall flat, then we might say 'we don't know what to do anymore."'

A $200 WII?:eek:

no really :eek:

if nintendo delivers this system for $200 (even $300) in a fully playable bundle (system, and other required components, sans games), and instant availability of just 20% of the "games on download" library they've promised. they've won the christmas war.

untill Nintendo confirms it i'm skeptical. but if this information is correct, i'm sorry but the PS3 is dead this holiday season. Granted the PS3 will sell to the kids and teenager markets, but anyone 18+ will be trying to get a WII.

Danny
11-May-2006, 04:56 PM
hey im just gone 18 last month, and oddly enough i do want a wii.

you know know 'wii' know about the games and stuff the name doesnt sound as stupid adn im getting my fat ass on the next pimpmobile to chavgos the day its released and my moms getting me a 360.

i really think nintendos back on top form , granted its kiddy, but now that people are growing sick of just shooters, football and racing ,kiddys looking to be a nice change of pace.

cant wait to get my hands on one.:elol:

Tullaryx
11-May-2006, 04:58 PM
i really think nintendos back on top form , granted its kiddy, but now that people are growing sick of just shooters, football and racing ,kiddys looking to be a nice change of pace.

cant wait to get my hands on one.:elol:

Sick of shooters, sports and racing? Pfft! It just means we hardcore gamers need something lighter fare to help our intense competitive nature a breather or two. :D

Danny
11-May-2006, 05:06 PM
im just tired of running down a path ,shooing bad guys, throwing a grenade, picking health, ect. or racing pure and simple, i just want something to revitalise my love of gameing and this is it:

dead rising
halo3
smash bros. brawl
final fantasy 3
crystal chronicles 2
the wii in general
zombies games in general
the fact that ninty is bringing back the traditional survival horror with a twist.
the games that work well with the nunkchauk controller, sword fighting ,tennis, lightguns?, pfft, who needs em.

but that said i bet that wii controller will probably have soem filthy hot coffe style mods made for it.:lol:

Tullaryx
11-May-2006, 05:09 PM
I think Nintendo will never really succeed in the more mature, action-paced on-line multiplayer like the Xbox and 360 has. Really, the multiplayer for Nintendo games seem to lean more towards fun, happy party-games like SSB, Super Mario Kart and those other party games.

DeadJonas190
15-May-2006, 04:45 AM
I think Nintendo will never really succeed in the more mature, action-paced on-line multiplayer like the Xbox and 360 has. Really, the multiplayer for Nintendo games seem to lean more towards fun, happy party-games like SSB, Super Mario Kart and those other party games.

Their multiplayer may be fun and happy party games, but the key word in that sentance is fun. I love FPS games, but I know that many times the supposedly latest and greatest is just like its predecessor or 15 other games that were just released and I am often disappointed by the hardcore games for Xbox and PS2 because of this. I would much rather have a game that I can play and have fun for hours on end instead of having a game that is like so many before, only prettier with better explosions. I am sure that Wii can deliver those fun games and I hope the 360 will too because I plan to buy that after my Wii. The 360 still needs a few more good games to play before I jump into that money pit.

Danny
15-May-2006, 06:19 AM
well thats because any game that "improves upon the genre in new and innovative ways".

now ever heard ninendo call any of there games innovattive?, me niether cus they dont need to.

sony and games like *snigger* ,weapons of mass destruction and americas most wanted and .....*shakes head* david beakham football all call themselves innovative but its bollcks games like halo or smash bros melee didnt need to.:D

Rottedfreak
15-May-2006, 08:38 AM
hmmmm.
http://www.thewiire.com/news/312/1/Sony_Executive_Recommends_Wii_As_Second_Console

MinionZombie
15-May-2006, 09:37 AM
Sounds like some people have a lump of shares in Nintendo to me...

But Nintendo usually has a bunch of games that don't make it onto PS and Xbox though right? I don't really know as I'm a PC gamer *bigs up keyboard 'n' mouse config*. Well, when I get my hands on some money (sooner rather than later please!) I think I'll get myself an Xbox 360, I've never been a fan of Playstation. Xbox had a much better controller, it was more fun, they had Halo and better graphics - mind you they did come after the PS2 by a couple of years so it's not surprising, still though, I'm in the 360 camp ... even though I don't have one yet.

axlish
15-May-2006, 02:50 PM
The Sony will be worth the money considering the Toshiba HD-DVD player is retailing for $499.99.

Either way, I am glad I gave up on consoles about 3 years ago.

CoinReturn
15-May-2006, 03:07 PM
The Sony will be worth the money considering the Toshiba HD-DVD player is retailing for $499.99.

Either way, I am glad I gave up on consoles about 3 years ago.
Screw that, I buy consoles for the games. Not for a likely dead in the water DVD format.

Tullaryx
15-May-2006, 05:06 PM
That's the thing about the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray tuzzle. There's really no reason to get either and Sony's gamble that it would be justified to price the PS3 at 500 to 600 dollars because of the Blu-Ray drive is like telling someone it's more than ok to spend an extra grand or two on a sports car for a 6-speed manual instead of a 5-speed.

axlish
15-May-2006, 05:20 PM
Screw that, I buy consoles for the games. Not for a likely dead in the water DVD format.

Naturally, Hi Def games will look better than non Hi Def games.

I've seen more than my fair share of people watching DVDs on PS2s.

FleshMask
15-May-2006, 10:36 PM
PS3
-Motion sensitive controller... (no rumble... boooo)
-High Def
-God of War 2
-Heavens Sword
-Final Fantasy 12
-Metal Gear 4 (Solid Snake commits Suicide in video?)
-Final Fantasy 13 (3 part game)
-Armored Core 4 (Wow oh wow)
-is 600$ basic package (ow)
-is 700$ Delux package (BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!)

X BOX
-Online play (yessss)
-Fable 2
-Halo 3 (the end)
-Prey
-Final Fantasy 11
-Gears of War
-Grand Theft Auto 4 (X Box has first dibbs on it)

Wii (Nintendo)
-Motion control wii-mote
-Mario Galaxy
-Legend of Zelda (Twilight Princess)
-Super Smash Melee (With Solid Snake... wow)
-Plays all old nintendo games
-No High def (in fact has the weakest in graphics)

I HAVE G4 TV, so I saw the E3 live...
Peace!
I'm getting all three!!! YEah baby!!

Bunker65
16-May-2006, 03:35 AM
X BOX
-Online play (yessss)
-Fable 2
-Halo 3 (the end)
-Prey
-Final Fantasy 11
-Gears of War
-Grand Theft Auto 4 (X Box has first dibbs on it)

You forgot to mention that the 360 will also have exclusive content for Grand Theft Auto 4 that will be downloadable via Xbox Live :D.

DeadJonas190
16-May-2006, 05:07 AM
PS3
-God of War 2

Sorry dude, God of War is PS2, not PS3, so there is no need to spend $600 on a system to play it.

Tullaryx
16-May-2006, 03:09 PM
Sorry dude, God of War is PS2, not PS3, so there is no need to spend $600 on a system to play it.

Though I am sure there's quite abit of people out there who actually will.

FleshMask
16-May-2006, 05:36 PM
You forgot to mention that the 360 will also have exclusive content for Grand Theft Auto 4 that will be downloadable via Xbox Live :D.

Kudos! I did not know that...

looks like my days as a PS fan-boy are over.

I can buy a Wii and an Xbox and it will still be cheaper than a PS3.:mad:

What is Sony thinking? I remember they used to be about quality matching the price.

Tullaryx
16-May-2006, 05:42 PM
Kudos! I did not know that...

looks like my days as a PS fan-boy are over.

I can buy a Wii and an Xbox and it will still be cheaper than a PS3.:mad:

What is Sony thinking? I remember they used to be about quality matching the price.

Well, actually Sony is saying that with what they have under the Foreman Grill hood and what other stuff it can do other than gaming then $600 is a fair price.

Danny
16-May-2006, 05:44 PM
"for a lean. mean. fat reducing gameing machine":D

FleshMask
17-May-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, actually Sony is saying that with what they have under the Foreman Grill hood and what other stuff it can do other than gaming then $600 is a fair price.

Hmmm...

600 dollars to spend on one ps3

or

buy a Wii and an X Box and a couple of games with the same 600?

What makes the situation worse is that they are few in number, a couple of thousand for this year.... very few will ever get one this year. PS3 is going to face a shortage this year and next. PS3 is powerful, but Sony made so few of them!!!

You might have a chance to get one by next christmas if they are in stores.

I KNOW there will be PS3's sold on E-Bay for over 1,000 because of the shortage.

In short, too much in price, too little product...
and 2 alternatives on the market...

Doesn't take much to figure out what will happen.

But then I hope I'm wrong.

Tullaryx
17-May-2006, 03:41 PM
People don't even realize that Sony hasn't even announced the price on their Wii-lite controller. Not to mention how much third-party titles will be. 600 is a misleading price for a PS3. Add in accessories and a couple of release games and I can see a person spending close to 1000 before taxes.

Rottedfreak
17-May-2006, 03:49 PM
One more advantage PS3 and Wii has is proper backwards compatability, you don't have to download off the net to do it for PS1/PS2 games on PS3 and the same for Gamecube games on the Wii.

p2501
17-May-2006, 03:53 PM
One more advantage PS3 and Wii has is proper backwards compatability, you don't have to download off the net to do it for PS1/PS2 games on PS3 and the same for Gamecube games on the Wii.

but i don't mind having to do that with the 360, as the emeulation software actually allows the games to run at a faster speed and with better graphics.

Tullaryx
17-May-2006, 04:00 PM
The thing is this...no matter how high the price the PS3 will finally end up as with accessories and games, no one will be able to convince a Sony fanboy that it's a bad deal all around. Same goes for those who are fanboy of the MS and Nintendo systems.