PDA

View Full Version : dario argento's version of dawn

Mike70
15-May-2006, 08:48 PM
now most of you folks know that dario argento edited dawn for its european release. those of you that have seen it - what do you think?

i like it quite a bit (in some ways more than the romero cut). maybe i like it more though because it has quite a few scenes and lots of dialouge that aren't in the romero version. maybe it is just the novelty of seeing new stuff and seeing the movie in a way that i never had before that makes me like it so much. after i have seen it the 200 or so times that i have watched romero's edit i will have a different opinion.

bassman
15-May-2006, 09:17 PM
now most of you folks know that dario argento edited dawn for its european release. those of you that have seen it - what do you think?

i like it quite a bit (in some ways more than the romero cut). maybe i like it more though because it has quite a few scenes and lots of dialouge that aren't in the romero version. maybe it is just the novelty of seeing new stuff and seeing the movie in a way that i never had before that makes me like it so much. after i have seen it the 200 or so times that i have watched romero's edit i will have a different opinion.

Actually, I believe there is less dialogue in the European version than there is in Romero's theatrical cut. I may be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure.

The European cut is more action/adventure driven than Romero's two cuts. I would say that I probably prefer the U.S. Theatrical cut the most.

ipotts85
15-May-2006, 09:27 PM
argento's cut is lame compared to romero's. it relies too heavily on action and edits out a significant portion of character development. argento approached the movie from a completely different standpoint than romero. argento did, however, extend some scenes, as well as dialogue. it also includes several sequences that aren't featured in romero's cut, so in that respect, it has some merit...in my opinion it is only required viewing for the fans. anyone just being introduced should definately watch the original theatrical cut (then the extended cut...)

the music is LAAAAMMMEEE as well. i prefer the library ques over the hack goblin score anyday...

personally, my favorite version is the theatrical - it used to be the extended, but i admire the theatrical cut now more for it's conciseness. this is the version that romero intended (although i do enjoy the joe pilato dock scene!)

any opinions on your favorite cut?

Mike70
16-May-2006, 07:30 PM
the "extended" edit is still my favorite version of the movie. i failed to put that into my original post. i also like that joe pilato's scene is preserved. i also like the extra bit that happens during the dinner scene - "when your done with the roll we'll drop it off at the drug store."

ipotts85
19-May-2006, 03:56 PM
agreed - the additional footage adds to the experience. the original theatrical cut succeeds because it is paced and to the point...but the extended cut is still my favorite to watch, even though i think the theatrical is more successful an edit.

roger_19
19-May-2006, 04:02 PM
I like the extended and european cuts but I prefer the U.S theatrical cut because everything seems right. including the music and the scenes. the extended cut has some music that I haven't gotten used to and the european cut takes out some scenes.

Philly_SWAT
20-May-2006, 04:01 AM
Actually, I believe there is less dialogue in the European version than there is in Romero's theatrical cut. I may be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure.
That is true. I think he meant he liked the dialogue that was in Argento's cut that wasnt in either of Romero's, which I certainly concur. But Argento's cut is definatly inferior in most aspects to the other true. The Theatrical cut is indeed more consise and more "polished", but I like the Extended version for the extended scenes/dialogue that lies within. Not sure which of the two I like better, but the Argento cut is definately in third place among the three.

Apocryphism
21-May-2006, 06:47 PM
I find the foley work to be slightly overdone in Argento's version... and despite the entirety of the Goblin soundtrack being used, I feel the decisionmaking in regard to music placement wasn't the best.

I don't dislike it, however. It contains some interesting dialogue that didn't make it into either of Romero's cuts, and bits and pieces of other things that are of value. It's the entirety of Romero's work, sorted out and presented with a slightly different vision. It loses a lot of what I appreciate about Romero's own thoughts (and methodology), but that doesn't make it uninteresting.

Neil
21-May-2006, 06:52 PM
I prefer the Romero version, but some of the soundtrack to Dario's!

Guru ofthe Dead
21-May-2006, 08:42 PM
I like the idea that Dario used alot of the cut bits from George in his movie. Personally I'm going to work on doing my own edit that will combine the two movies together and add in all of the cut material. Of course for my own personal use.:cool: