PDA

View Full Version : Next horror film I want to see...

Neil
04-Jun-2009, 12:08 PM
The next horror film I want to see is "Paranormal Activity"...

Sounds like a work of genius, and I must admit I had an idea somewhat similar a while ago.

We were having a cat come into our house, spraying, so I set up a webcam in the kitchen to try and catch the cat coming in so I could identify it. While watching the footage each day, from the night before, I wondered what I'd do if I saw something I didn't want to see! In my imagination I saw myself watching the footage and seeing some shape moving outside the cat flap, before it slowly opened and then an odd looking hand started coming through. If bent upwards, more and more, heading towards the key and handle, and when it got to the range of any normal arm, it just started stretching...

The premise of Paranormal Activity is the film is done in 'real' life' style like Cloverfield... They leave cameras on over night, and next see what's been happening while they sleep.... :confused:

Suppose to be very scary...

DjfunkmasterG
04-Jun-2009, 12:35 PM
The next horror film I want to see is Deadlands 3: the search for the real Deadlands 2. :p

bassman
04-Jun-2009, 12:57 PM
Could be good. But in most cases horror films turn out to be complete garbage made for the kiddies.

Speaking of horror films we want to see....where the hell is ...Of The Dead, already??

MoonSylver
04-Jun-2009, 03:02 PM
The next horror film I want to see is "Paranormal Activity"...

Sounds like a work of genius, and I must admit I had an idea somewhat similar a while ago.

We were having a cat come into our house, spraying, so I set up a webcam in the kitchen to try and catch the cat coming in so I could identify it. While watching the footage each day, from the night before, I wondered what I'd do if I saw something I didn't want to see! In my imagination I saw myself watching the footage and seeing some shape moving outside the cat flap, before it slowly opened and then an odd looking hand started coming through. If bent upwards, more and more, heading towards the key and handle, and when it got to the range of any normal arm, it just started stretching...

Jesus, Neil, you have a more overactive imagination than I do!:)

The premise of Paranormal Activity is the film is done in 'real' life' style like Cloverfield... They leave cameras on over night, and next see what's been happening while they sleep.... :confused:

Suppose to be very scary...

While in more cases I would say the camcorder gimmick had been overdone, contextually I can see it working here, as there are already so many "real life" ghost hunter type shows, etc, that use that format anyway. So, sounds interesting.

Neil
04-Jun-2009, 03:20 PM
While in more cases I would say the camcorder gimmick had been overdone, contextually I can see it working here, as there are already so many "real life" ghost hunter type shows, etc, that use that format anyway. So, sounds interesting.

Watch the trailer... It seems to be quite effective...

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2009, 06:06 PM
The next horror film I want to see is Deadlands 3: the search for the real Deadlands 2. :p
*high five* :D

Also, I saw the trailer for Rec 2 - it looks pretty cool - a bunch of SWAT-type dudes with shoulder-mounted cameras. Noiiice.

PJoseph
07-Jun-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, that movie sounds very cool.

I often think that I'm going to see come creepy demon on the baby monitor...and every once in a while, the way the night vision light hits my sons eyes, it looks like they are glowing - which is actually pretty cool. Maybe I'll do a spoof of that movie with my son's baby monitor.

pJ

Neil
16-Sep-2009, 01:01 PM
There's more hype coming out about this film at the moment about it being uber scary!

I think it's out in the states in a couple of weeks?

AcesandEights
16-Sep-2009, 01:47 PM
There's more hype coming out about this film at the moment about it being uber scary!

Well, hopefully I can get some people together to give it a go!

I think it's out in the states in a couple of weeks?
I don't recall seeing or hearing ads for it, but I sometimes let movie ads roll off my back and, thus, have a hard time keeping track of them all.

Anyway, it makes sense that'd be out soonish, with Halloween bearing down us.

Mike70
16-Sep-2009, 02:04 PM
i had never even heard of this film before reading this thread. i am not a big fan of movies shot in this style but after watching the trailer, i'm interested.

RXkMo092Uug

Danny
16-Sep-2009, 03:29 PM
looks neat, i dug the trailer, but this is like white noise, it gets everyone paranoid. like i know someone who, on a laugh, set up a recorder to pick up some white noise after watching the flick "because it was metal" and then never played it, she stared at it, terrified. i chucked it for her a while ago but this tape freaked her out, she never heard it, it was for all intents and purposes the same blank tape she put in, but she had "recorded" something in the room where she slept and was now horrified at the idea of what it could contain on the recording. Now im a rational enough guy to know if there was anything it would be interference, or something from another room, reverberating along the wall or floor, but man, this strikes me as another case like that, people will see the flick, think its a rad idea and then be paranoid they have freddy krueger as a roomie.

EvilNed
16-Sep-2009, 06:29 PM
I think the trailer looks like crap, actually. I liked it at first, but when it started to be about loud noises and digital "noise" in general, I lost my interest. I'll check it out and hope that it's good.

Danny
16-Sep-2009, 06:56 PM
I think the trailer looks like crap, actually. I liked it at first, but when it started to be about loud noises and digital "noise" in general, I lost my interest. I'll check it out and hope that it's good.

ditto comrade, that "pssszzk!" jump noise for "footage" irks me, but its what you gotta use if you want a flick with no soundtrack and bg music like this.

-though personally if it is a poltergeist possession movie like it appears id have phones and tvs and stuff make the ambient noise, not this "camera fault" stuff.

MikePizzoff
16-Sep-2009, 07:23 PM
Hm. Let me take a wild guess on how this one will end...

One (or both) of the main protagonists will been cornered with an extreme close-up of their face and them crying into the camera just before "something" off-screen DESTROYS them and the camera... similar to 90% of the other films shot in this style.

Not saying I won't go see it, though. :D

Danny
16-Sep-2009, 07:32 PM
Hm. Let me take a wild guess on how this one will end...

One (or both) of the main protagonists will been cornered with an extreme close-up of their face and them crying into the camera just before "something" off-screen DESTROYS them and the camera... similar to 90% of the other films shot in this style.

Not saying I won't go see it, though. :D

thats the thing with fps flicks, the genre chooses the ending not you, horror is about isolation, either you alone somewhere, or everyone is gone or dead in your town. ending the former means they need to never be heard from again or the ramifications are to epic to end the story there. "and they proved ghosts and spirits existed, the end", thats not an ending. whereas in sci-fi it can be grounded in any alternate earth in the multi-traverse, so you can have stuff more like district 9 where the story can have an ending because the world was different from the start.

MikePizzoff
16-Sep-2009, 07:41 PM
thats the thing with fps flicks, the genre chooses the ending not you, horror is about isolation, either you alone somewhere, or everyone is gone or dead in your town. ending the former means they need to never be heard from again or the ramifications are to epic to end the story there. "and they proved ghosts and spirits existed, the end", thats not an ending. whereas in sci-fi it can be grounded in any alternate earth in the multi-traverse, so you can have stuff more like district 9 where the story can have an ending because the world was different from the start.

I agree with you, to an extent. I feel that they can definitely come up with something fresh for the endings of movies, without it being too upbeat or cheesy and without following the same EXACT formula as previous flicks.