PDA

View Full Version : Pot Plants and Day Timeline

Philly_SWAT
19-May-2006, 12:42 AM
I still say a big clue to the "when did Day takes place in relation to Dawn" question is the big pot plants that were growing in the compound. Those pot plants were very tall, I think they were taller than the guy that was watering them. You would have to think that there were no big pot plants growing right outside the door of the underground facility prior to the undead outbreak. Therefore, you would also have to think that they started growing the pot plants after they were stationed there (and why not? The world is almost literally going to hell in a handbasket). So, how long does it take for a pot plant to grow 6 feet high? I have a little knowledge about this, and they dont get that tall very fast. Anybody here have actual botanical information on how long that would take? Any does anyone agree that these plants give a major clue as to how long after Dawn the events in Day are taking place?

bassman
19-May-2006, 12:38 PM
While I do see where you're coming from with this....I seriously doubt that Romero and whoever thought of this when they put the fake pot plants in the film. I don't think it would help determine the timeline at all.

EvilNed
19-May-2006, 12:58 PM
They weren't that tall, were they? I recall them being 2-3 feet high. I might be wrong, tho.

ipotts85
19-May-2006, 01:56 PM
it still takes a while for a pot plant to grow that tall...i don't think romero would just overlook an obvious clue like that...

besides, romero has said before that day takes place after dawn, so why wouldn't the pot plants be a clue?

but if you look at the condition that the city was in - i think that proves day taking place after dawn.

bassman
19-May-2006, 03:13 PM
besides, romero has said before that day takes place after dawn, so why wouldn't the pot plants be a clue?

You just think that because you're a fan looking for answers. I'm sure he would've mentioned whether or not it had anything to do with the timeline on the commentary for the "Day" DVD when they're talking about where the Pot plant look-alike came from(although it really doesn't look much like one)
if it was a clue.

EvilNed
19-May-2006, 03:24 PM
The original Day script took place somewhere along 5 years after the Dead rose, right? But then again, Land of the Dead takes place 3+ years after the dead (probably 3,5 or something).

So I'd say Day takes place like a year or so after the dead rise. But I wasn't in the debate from the start, so. But I think it's pretty definate that it takes place 1+ year after the dead rise, considering the skeletons in the city.

Strangely, the zombies don't rot as quickly as regular corpses.

ipotts85
19-May-2006, 03:39 PM
pot plants aside, the condition of the city is enough to prove it takes place some time after dawn. look at the tenement in dawn - there was a large human presence still in the city. at the beginning of day, that city is completely overtaken by the dead.

it is obvious that day takes place a considerable time after dawn - romero has said this before...besides, if it took place directly after of during dawn, there would still be radio communication - in day, it is stated that the relay that was being used was no longer there...

it doesn't make any sense to claim that day took place during day or right after, there are references throughout day that support a large passage of time since the dead rose (at least a year...), just the deterioration of the city and of their situation in the bunker shows this...

I'm sure he would've mentioned whether or not it had anything to do with the timeline on the commentary for the "Day" DVD when they're talking about where the Pot plant look-alike came from(although it really doesn't look much like one)
if it was a clue.

i never realized the timeline was even a debate, so why would it be mentioned in commentary?

You just think that because you're a fan looking for answers.

what the hell are you talking about?

bassman
19-May-2006, 04:23 PM
i never realized the timeline was even a debate, so why would it be mentioned in commentary?
If Romero intentionally put the plants in to show how long the scientists and soldiers had been there, don't you think he would've mentioned it on the commentary when they're talking about the fake weed?

what the hell are you talking about?

You're quote: "besides, romero has said before that day takes place after dawn, so why wouldn't the pot plants be a clue?"

In other words, Romero probably didn't mean for the plants to be a clue as to the timeline.....It's just something only a fan would piece together after numerous viewings of each film.

EvilNed
19-May-2006, 04:37 PM
While I don't think Romero actually gave the HEIGHT of the marijuana plants to much thought, I do think he put them there to show that the military was not what it once was. I'm not sure how long it would take for weed to grow that high, tho.

I don't really think Romero had any idea of exactly how long it was since the dead walked when he made Day, but he probably knew that he wanted it set a year, or so, after the incident.

bassman
19-May-2006, 04:39 PM
While I don't think Romero actually gave the HEIGHT of the marijuana plants to much thought, I do think he put them there to show that the military was not what it once was. I'm not sure how long it would take for weed to grow that high, tho.

I don't really think Romero had any idea of exactly how long it was since the dead walked when he made Day, but he probably knew that he wanted it set a year, or so, after the incident.
Yeah...
If anything, the plants were there to show that the scientists and soldiers had been there for awhile. It had nothing to do with the timeline between the films.

EvilNed
19-May-2006, 04:55 PM
Exactly, at least that's how I view it. I suppose that if we want to get nitpicky, then the height could prove exactly how long ago it was. But then again, who's to say those plants weren't there before the incident? I mean, it could have been an abandoned military base for all we know. It's not impossible.

Best way is probably not to overanalyze it. The plants are there to show that it's been sometime. How much time? I think the state of the city is a better judge of that.

tju1973
19-May-2006, 05:00 PM
I still say a big clue to the "when did Day takes place in relation to Dawn" question is the big pot plants that were growing in the compound. Those pot plants were very tall, I think they were taller than the guy that was watering them. You would have to think that there were no big pot plants growing right outside the door of the underground facility prior to the undead outbreak. Therefore, you would also have to think that they started growing the pot plants after they were stationed there (and why not? The world is almost literally going to hell in a handbasket). So, how long does it take for a pot plant to grow 6 feet high? I have a little knowledge about this, and they dont get that tall very fast. Anybody here have actual botanical information on how long that would take? Any does anyone agree that these plants give a major clue as to how long after Dawn the events in Day are taking place?

You bring a valid question to the table. WHile I think that George didn't give that thought, it would be interesting to find out the answer and maybe inspect the series as a whole and place the whole series events on a relative timeline...

MinionZombie
19-May-2006, 05:49 PM
I think it's something GAR threw in as a throwaway piece of information that you see, and they certainly weren't 6ft high to my recollection. Also, it's possible the guy that was growing them had already been doing so in his own pad - when he was picked to head off down underground he would have brought his own stash with him in pots. That's what I think. It'd make more sense that he'd already had them growing and then brought them to the base rather than growing them from scratch.

Weed aside, Day is around a year after the outbreak started. Therefore, considering the other discussion which moved onto Fran's baby bump, when WE join the chaps in Day of the Dead it's like three or four months after Dawn. Although, in the full story (the "plot" is what you see in the two hours, a "story" extends beyond the two hours in both directions), they probably went underground during the events Dawn of the Dead.

I think that's a pretty sensible thought line...

Adrenochrome
19-May-2006, 06:09 PM
it only takes 3 or 4 months to grow a 4 to 5 foot plant. (weed)

Philly_SWAT
19-May-2006, 07:11 PM
Also, it's possible the guy that was growing them had already been doing so in his own pad - when he was picked to head off down underground he would have brought his own stash with him in pots.
While I admit that this is a possibility, dont you think that since they are going into the underground facility that they still think there is a possibility of "solving the problem" and returning life to normal? That is why they went there in the first place. If they thought it was a lost cause, they would have "found a beach somewhere and started soaking up some sunshine". Therefore, I doubt a military guy going to an official government project would bring his own pot plants with him, and plant them in plain sight right near the entrance. Wouldnt Major Cooper have frowned upon such activity?

I dont think that GAR purposely put the pot plants in there to indicate passage of time. But the only clues that we have are those that are within the movies themselves, which includes the growth of the plants. I just checked my DVD, the plants were indeed only about 3 high, not 6 as I originally said. I still say that they had to be planted after our group went to the facility. How long does it take weed to grow 3 feet high?

I am not sure that how pregnant Fran is/was and the duration of the events in Dawn have any bearing on trying to determine how long after Night did Day start. It would be just a valid of a theory to say that if the height of the pot plants is not a valid issue (and I suppose you could argue they were 10 feet high but trimmed down) then they could have been in that underground bunker for 10 years, after which Fran's baby would already be 9 years old (if it lived). Using calender's with no year on them is not a good way to assume less than a year has passsed. Obviously, October rolls around every year. The newspaper that says "The Dead Walk" in the beginning, isnt there a year of 1985 on it? That alone would suggest that many had years had passed since the beginning of Dawn, seeing as they were not even familiar with what a "Mall" was in Dawn.

ipotts85
19-May-2006, 07:27 PM
obviously the pot plants were there to suggest the deterioration of the military into an "every man for himself" deal - but they also very obviously suggest a certain amount of elapsed time...

both of these points prove the original idea that the pot plants reflect a timeline. for a pot plant to grow that high (no pun intended) it would take a certain amount of time, thus reflecting a timeline! don't understand why there is an argument...both prove the same point.

If Romero intentionally put the plants in to show how long the scientists and soldiers had been there, don't you think he would've mentioned it on the commentary when they're talking about the fake weed?

no. not every single point has to be discussed in a commentary...besides it seems a pretty obvious concept that doesn't really need pointing out....(for most of us anyway)...

besides - re-read your post! are you trying to argue that a 4 foot high weed plant makes no reflection on time elapsed? that just doesn't make any sense...no military base would allow weed to be grown, which implies that a certain break down in heirarchy (one that would take some time) has occured if it has gotten to the point where anyone can do what they want (which is pretty much where day picks up)...

all of these references (among others throughout the film) imply a fairly large passage of time between these two films...

(i can't believe this is even a debate!)

bassman
19-May-2006, 07:44 PM
obviously the pot plants were there to suggest the deterioration of the military into an "every man for himself" deal - but they also very obviously suggest a certain amount of elapsed time...

both of these points prove the original idea that the pot plants reflect a timeline. for a pot plant to grow that high (no pun intended) it would take a certain amount of time, thus reflecting a timeline! don't understand why there is an argument...both prove the same point.

no. not every single point has to be discussed in a commentary...besides it seems a pretty obvious concept that doesn't really need pointing out....(for most of us anyway)...

besides - re-read your post! are you trying to argue that a 4 foot high weed plant makes no reflection on time elapsed? that just doesn't make any sense...no military base would allow weed to be grown, which implies that a certain break down in heirarchy (one that would take some time) has occured if it has gotten to the point where anyone can do what they want (which is pretty much where day picks up)...

all of these references (among others throughout the film) imply a fairly large passage of time between these two films...

Well, it seemed to me that if they would discuss that the plant is fake and how they got it, that Romero would probably mention that it was used to reflect the time past since "Dawn". But he doesn't.

I'm not arguing that the plant does not suggest time has passed. I just think the point of it was to show that these people had been at the bunker for quite some time. But I don't believe that it was used to give the viewer an idea of how much time has passed since the events in "Dawn" or "Night".

All I'm saying is that the plant could be a way to show that these people have been in the bunker for a long time but it is not a way to show the time passed after the last two films.

You can't believe this is a debate, huh? Here's an idea....don't post;)

tju1973
19-May-2006, 07:45 PM
While I admit that this is a possibility, dont you think that since they are going into the underground facility that they still think there is a possibility of "solving the problem" and returning life to normal? That is why they went there in the first place. If they thought it was a lost cause, they would have "found a beach somewhere and started soaking up some sunshine". Therefore, I doubt a military guy going to an official government project would bring his own pot plants with him, and plant them in plain sight right near the entrance. Wouldnt Major Cooper have frowned upon such activity?

I dont think that GAR purposely put the pot plants in there to indicate passage of time. But the only clues that we have are those that are within the movies themselves, which includes the growth of the plants. I just checked my DVD, the plants were indeed only about 3 high, not 6 as I originally said. I still say that they had to be planted after our group went to the facility. How long does it take weed to grow 3 feet high?

I am not sure that how pregnant Fran is/was and the duration of the events in Dawn have any bearing on trying to determine how long after Night did Day start. It would be just a valid of a theory to say that if the height of the pot plants is not a valid issue (and I suppose you could argue they were 10 feet high but trimmed down) then they could have been in that underground bunker for 10 years, after which Fran's baby would already be 9 years old (if it lived). Using calender's with no year on them is not a good way to assume less than a year has passsed. Obviously, October rolls around every year. The newspaper that says "The Dead Walk" in the beginning, isnt there a year of 1985 on it? That alone would suggest that many had years had passed since the beginning of Dawn, seeing as they were not even familiar with what a "Mall" was in Dawn.

GAR never intended the dress/styles/etc in any movie to suggest that the timeline was stretched over 40 years. You have to suspend reality and just know that they went Night,Dawn,Day, then Land-- actually wasn't land supposed to happen between Dawn and Day-- I read that somewhwere--

Anyway, I would suppose that the relative urgency the bunker-ites had in Day would suggest that Day happened about a year or a little more after Dawn.

Just my thought..

:rockbrow:

bassman
19-May-2006, 07:48 PM
GAR never intended the dress/styles/etc in any movie to suggest that the timeline was stretched over 40 years. You have to suspend reality and just know that they went Night,Dawn,Day, then Land--

This is how I see it. I don't even try to place all of the films into a timeline. To me, they're all different films with different characters, in different times and they don't need to be connected. They're not direct sequels....

This is kind of like trying to place all of the James Bond films into a timeframe together.....It just doesn't happen.

Eyebiter
19-May-2006, 11:20 PM
re: Dope Plants

I'd guess Romero included them as a plot device to illustrate the lack of discipline among the soldiers. The lackluster dress code, the fact the troops are smoking weed, the death of Major Cooper, and the rise of a psycho Captain Rhodes.

Philly_SWAT
20-May-2006, 12:54 AM

I dont know what kind of pot plants you are growing, but I have never seen any grow that fast.

Adrenochrome
20-May-2006, 12:57 AM
I dont know what kind of pot plants you are growing, but I have never seen any grow that fast.
really?
hmmmmm.
Odds me bodkins!
I "have a friend" that ALWAYS harvests at 4
...at 3, the leaf is great for cooking. (ya gotta dry and crumble....."he" has a great burrito recipe) ;)

Philly_SWAT
20-May-2006, 01:00 AM
Looks like I gotta move to the corner of Grey street and the end of the world............

Adrenochrome
20-May-2006, 01:01 AM
Looks like I gotta move to the corner of Grey street and the end of the world............
;)
or.........
What I hear is......weed : it will grow just to spite you. :D
But,....that's what I hear.......cough cough cough...............pass

Murat365
20-May-2006, 01:16 AM
this is going to be controversial but hey...

what if 'land' takes place before 'day'- think about it- in 'land'- the humans still live in cities, in centralised infostructures where large groups of people from several backgrounds and communities congregate- and of course how does 'land' end- with the zombies breaking into these compounds and forcing the humans to flee

in 'day' humanity is restricted even more- to small military bases and wekll defended outposts- the cities are overrun as we see from the first scene, and eventually the only safe haven is uninhabited islands

if such outposts existed as in 'land' why didn't they exist in 'day'? why didn't the survivors in 'day' retreat to these outposts- perhaps they had already been overrun

i understand perhaps the zombie evolutionary theory may contradict this idea (although 'lands' zombies are really no more as advanced as they were in 'day' or vice versa depending on this)

Adrenochrome
20-May-2006, 01:17 AM
this is going to be controversial but hey...

what if 'land' takes place before 'day'- think about it- in 'land'- the humans still live in cities, in centralised infostructures where large groups of people from several backgrounds and communities congregate- and of course how does 'land' end- with the zombies breaking into these compounds and forcing the humans to flee

in 'day' humanity is restricted even more- to small military bases and wekll defended outposts- the cities are overrun as we see from the first scene, and eventually the only safe haven is uninhabited islands

if such outposts existed as in 'land' why didn't they exist in 'day'? why didn't the survivors in 'day' retreat to these outposts- perhaps they had already been overrun

i understand perhaps the zombie evolutionary theory may contradict this idea (although 'lands' zombies are really no more as advanced as they were in 'day' or vice versa depending on this)

You're not the first.
I've had conversations with some fans that believe it should have gone ;Night, Dawn, Land and then Day.

ipotts85
20-May-2006, 03:36 AM
land taking place before day?! whoa - that flips me the f*ck out! it never even occured to me - interesting idea if you really think about it...i know romero has stated that land takes place between 3-5 years after day...but nonetheless...

and adrenochrome - i know a guy that used to grow pot in the woods behins a public park, and it takes longer than three - four months to grow it that high (unless it is some hydro stuff or something like that...)...you (sorry...your friend) may harvest it earlier, but at the height it was grown in day takes quite some time...

re: Dope Plants

I'd guess Romero included them as a plot device to illustrate the lack of discipline among the soldiers. The lackluster dress code, the fact the troops are smoking weed, the death of Major Cooper, and the rise of a psycho Captain Rhodes.

well, yeah, but it reflects an elapsed amount of time as well...

Adrenochrome
20-May-2006, 05:09 AM
and adrenochrome - i know a guy that used to grow pot in the woods behins a public park, and it takes longer than three - four months to grow it that high (unless it is some hydro stuff or something like that...)...you (sorry...your friend) may harvest it earlier, but at the height it was grown in day takes quite some time...

actually, no. I've seen plants reach 3 to 4 feet in about 4 months (believe it or not, there was one occasion I saw a plant ZOOM to "bush" in 3 months). NOT Hydro, plain old dirt weed. Ya just gotta know when and where to top it off and bush it out...;)
anyhoooo........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm topping it off and bushing it out........
Oh, and somewhere in the yelling match Sarah mentions dealing with the situation for "months". (if need be, I can get the running time where she says it)

EvilNed
20-May-2006, 10:41 AM
While it'd be interesting if Land really takes place after Day, it doesn't. I'm pretty sure Romero even says this on the commentary of Land.

Anyway, the idea that humans still living in cities and thus the outbreak isn't that far gone, doesn't hold. Remember Romero's original script? It took place 5 years after the dead walked, and it had a "city", just like Fiddler's Green.

Also, it states in Land that the dead have been up and about or at least 3 years, whereas there are still decaying corpses in Day if I'm not mistaken (and one skeleton hanging out in a car).

And even so, at the end of Land, the humans are STILL living in a city. Just less of them. :p

Deadman_Deluxe
20-May-2006, 01:19 PM
My own opinion is that the pot plants have NOTHING to do with ANY timelines within DAY. Either way, the size of the plants featured, albeit "fake" plants ... they would most likely, for story purposes, have been female and approx 10 weeks old.

Marijuana can reach a height of twenty feet (or would you rather wish on a star?) and obtain a diameter of 4 1/2 inches. If normal, it has a sex ratio of about 1:1, but this can be altered in several easy ways. The male plant dies in the 12th week of growing, the female will live another 3 - 5 weeks to produce her younguns. Females can weigh twice as much as males when they are mature.

+

Wild marijuana plants are vigorous, aggressive, competitive weeds. Some varieties have a large root system which helps them survive moisture stress and poor soil. Plants spaced at least 10 feet apart will grow to a height of 3 - 5 feet in dry climates. Cannabis is a survivor. Given control of a growing area of 4 to 12 square feet, in poor soil, mature plants will grow to about 5 feet tall with a strong terminal main bud or cola.

tju1973
20-May-2006, 02:25 PM

I won't tell you where, but I was involved in a Joint Task Force operation where we performed surveilence on US Government marijuana fields. It was a 4 week rotation in the--umm northwestern part of the country. These fields were huge-- several hundred acres a piece. It seems-- for all you potheads-- that the DEA and other law enforcement agencies use pot as a tracking drug-- ie the specific DNA in these plants is tracked in the "commercial" trafficking of this drug-

It was ran like a big farm--- busloads of Mexicans were brought in daily to work these crops-- much like they do with tomatos and lettice in other areas...

To say NO pot would be grown on a military base may be true if the base was "normal", but a research facility like in Day-- I am not so sure now...

:)

ipotts85
20-May-2006, 05:42 PM
My own opinion is that the pot plants have NOTHING to do with ANY timelines within DAY. Either way, the size of the plants featured, albeit "fake" plants ... they would most likely, for story purposes, have been female and approx 10 weeks old.

Marijuana can reach a height of twenty feet (or would you rather wish on a star?) and obtain a diameter of 4 1/2 inches. If normal, it has a sex ratio of about 1:1, but this can be altered in several easy ways. The male plant dies in the 12th week of growing, the female will live another 3 - 5 weeks to produce her younguns. Females can weigh twice as much as males when they are mature.

+

Wild marijuana plants are vigorous, aggressive, competitive weeds. Some varieties have a large root system which helps them survive moisture stress and poor soil. Plants spaced at least 10 feet apart will grow to a height of 3 - 5 feet in dry climates. Cannabis is a survivor. Given control of a growing area of 4 to 12 square feet, in poor soil, mature plants will grow to about 5 feet tall with a strong terminal main bud or cola.

i guess it didn't help that my friend was growing them in pots (no pun intended).

I won't tell you where, but I was involved in a Joint Task Force operation where we performed surveilence on US Government marijuana fields. It was a 4 week rotation in the--umm northwestern part of the country. These fields were huge-- several hundred acres a piece. It seems-- for all you potheads-- that the DEA and other law enforcement agencies use pot as a tracking drug-- ie the specific DNA in these plants is tracked in the "commercial" trafficking of this drug-

It was ran like a big farm--- busloads of Mexicans were brought in daily to work these crops-- much like they do with tomatos and lettice in other areas...

To say NO pot would be grown on a military base may be true if the base was "normal", but a research facility like in Day-- I am not so sure now...

:)

homeboy looked like that was for his own personal usage...

Adrenochrome
20-May-2006, 08:12 PM
i guess it didn't help that my friend was growing them in pots (no pun intended).

A five gallon bucket filled to the rim with good soil......um,......well....that's what I hear.

TexasZombie
20-May-2006, 10:14 PM
If one listens carefully to various pieces of dialogue in Romero's movies, the following timeline is established:

Night of the Living Dead is the first few days of the Rise (there's something on the radio when Barbara and Johnny get to the cemetery).

Dawn of the Dead occurs three weeks later (from interview with one of the scientists in the WGON studio). Dr. Foster (IIRC) complains about nothing being done for "the last three weeks" or something to that effect.

Day of the Dead occurs some "months" later still (it had been "months" since the bunker had contact with higher command). I'd suggest 6 months to 1 year after NotLD, maybe less, since the helicopter was still running without the benefit of a hanger or any obvious maintenance facility.

Land of the Dead occus about 3 years after NotLD. Several comments in the movie indicated three years since various things had happened in and around Fiddler's Green.

TZ

Deadman_Deluxe
20-May-2006, 11:53 PM
If one listens carefully to various pieces of dialogue in Romero's movies, the following timeline is established:

Land of the Dead occus about 3 years after NotLD. Several comments in the movie indicated three years since various things had happened in and around Fiddler's Green.

TZ

And if one was to listen to the LAND directors commentary carefully, one will realise that LAND and NIGHT are not actually connected in ANY way in regards to a timeline ;)

As a rough guide to "when" these movies are set, or "how long after the initial outbreak" do we join the story, and let's face it ... a "rough guide" is all that is needed, then it goes something like this:

NIGHT: 3 DAYS
DAWN: 3 WEEKS
DAY: 3 MONTHS (Open to debate at 6-12 months)
LAND: 3 YEARS

The only problem with what you are saying is that LAND is set three years after NIGHT ... when what you really should say is that LAND is set three years after the initial outbreak. You are using NIGHT as your definitive start point and trying to link up each following movie to that same start point by way of a set timeline, when all four movies actually start at or around seperate outbreak points which are based within the same storytelling "universe".

TexasZombie
21-May-2006, 01:25 PM
And if one was to listen to the LAND directors commentary carefully, one will realise that LAND and NIGHT are not actually connected in ANY way in regards to a timeline ;)

Ooooookay.
Can't help you there. The movies seem like they are connected/releated to me, so, yeah, I'm working off of that idea.

The only problem with what you are saying is that LAND is set three years after NIGHT ... when what you really should say is that LAND is set three years after the initial outbreak. You are using NIGHT as your definitive start point and trying to link up each following movie to that same start point by way of a set timeline, when all four movies actually start at or around seperate outbreak points which are based within the same storytelling "universe".

This must be some kind of uber-fan thing...

Yeah, I'm still considering all four films to be related, and ignoring the temporal disconnects.

TZ

EvilNed
21-May-2006, 01:53 PM
Ooooookay.
Can't help you there. The movies seem like they are connected/releated to me, so, yeah, I'm working off of that idea.

It's true, tho. The movies aren't really in the same timeline. They are just different films, depicting the world farther and farther away from the outbreak. That's also why the times keep changing.

glsjaw
21-May-2006, 02:11 PM
i would have to debate the no relation aspect, i do believe they do relate in the story line and idea of what is going on but each movie is pretty much a stand alone piece, thats why a sequal to Land would be stupid

MinionZombie
21-May-2006, 02:51 PM
Exactly, the films are connected, I've noticed GAR often contradicts himself in interviews/commentaries or whatever when he's talking about his films. At one time something in a film means one thing, then a couple of years later in a new interview he thinks another.

For the four zombie films not to be connected sounds pretty retarded. They all follow a title sequence for one thing, especially the first three. It's kinda daft to think each film covers a different zombie outbreak, because all zombie outbreaks would be the same in GAR's head. Them being disconnected also makes less sense because the films do follow on from one another as this timeline thread has proved. The films are indeed not connected through protagonists or setting, but that's because it's different groups of survivors in one outbreak.

Now I haven't been geeky enough to run off and relisten to the entire commentary to hear that audio clip from GAR, but thinking about it, that's probably more what he means. They're not connected by protagonists - although in one way they are - the zombies themselves. Sh*t, Blades turns up in Land of the Dead as a freakin' zombie.

*sigh* GAR is just contradicting himself, he has a tendancy to do that sometimes, occasionally I think he does it for fun...

EvilNed
21-May-2006, 03:04 PM
No, GAR pretty much explains that they have nothing to do with one another, and that they are not supposed to, and that's why time keeps "changing".

Personally, I think it makes alot more sense for them to be disconnected by timeline, but connected by titles. I mean, in the original the zombies died and were afraid of fire, whereas in the sequels they were not (GAR even mentions this). He said that by each film, he came up with new things about the zombies he wanted to add, which might or might not change it a bit from his previous films. That's why he preferred to view them as different zombie outbreaks in different timelines.

I don't really care either way, but that makes more sense to me. Sometimes it's more interesting to imagine them being part of the same timeline, but then again that seems pretty impossible.

Also, could you find an interview with him saying that they are not connected? If he is indeed contradicting himself, then it'd be fun to read. It's kind of like the Blade Runner debate, where Harrison Ford says Deckard is human and Ridley Scott says he's a replicant! :D

ipotts85
21-May-2006, 05:30 PM
if romero really thinks that his movies aren't connected, he is a dumbass. that makes absolutely no sense...

69th post -yeeeeeesssssssssss

MinionZombie
21-May-2006, 06:45 PM
It's one of those things I've picked up on, but I never pay attention to where the contradictions are in whatever interviews or commentaries or whatever. But I've certainly heard him/read stuff that shows he's contradicting himself.

Sometimes I think GAR's just making excuses so he doesn't have to get into a huge debate ... like us guys do at HPOTD. :D

Deadman_Deluxe
21-May-2006, 06:53 PM
Exactly, the films are connected, I've noticed GAR often contradicts himself in interviews/commentaries or whatever when he's talking about his films. At one time something in a film means one thing, then a couple of years later in a new interview he thinks another.

Of course the films are connected, the most obvious connection being that they ALL take place within the same universe.

But i have to say that "often" is most likely a gross over exageration. I am sitting here for a while trying to think of a single incident involving GAR contradicting himself on anything more than a jovial matter, and i think that i would struggle to find two or more incidents of contradiction in twenty years or so of GAR interviews/commentaries ... can anyone help me out with that?

So what was it that GAR actually stated and then went on to state something different at a later date? How "often" did he actually repeat contradicting himself?

An example for example? ;)

MinionZombie
21-May-2006, 07:00 PM
Like I said somewhere else in this uber-geeky thread, lol, I don't pay attention to where the quote was or whatnot, but I know for sure I have heard him contradict himself, I can't be arsed to review everything interview I have with him, ha! So perhaps not "often", but I've definately heard him contradict himself or change his views on something from one interview to the next. I'm not making it up, I've definately heard him contradict himself, if I hadn't I wouldn't think to post that.

If I come across a contradiction in my future GAR DVD travels, I'll post it up.

EvilNed
21-May-2006, 10:02 PM
I think when GAR makes the films, he doesn't bother with details as to how they connect to the previous films. This is also WHY they are not connected. They obviously take place in different timelines. Land is leagues ahead of the others in technology. And yes, this only reflects the time the film was made it. But that's no excuse just to ward it off. The films, I think, take place in different timelines just like GAR says. Maybe the outpost in Day was the last outpost in that film? But in the Land timeline, there are obviously many others.

But they are connected in many ways. Just not by a definite timeline. I think it would be cool if they were, and all of them took place in the same "era". But they obviously don't.

ipotts85
22-May-2006, 12:00 AM
obviously they dont take place in the same universe? this is such a ridiculous statement that makes absolutely no sense! aside from the fact they were filmed in seperate decades, i can see no logical explanation of this! romero has stated that land takes place 3-5 years after day...that proves they take place in the same timeline...

maybe the statement was meant to reflect the way that romero views his timeline - in the sense that they are different enough that it is like they are in a different timeline...

does anyone else think that this idea of different timelines is completely sh*t?

Guru ofthe Dead
22-May-2006, 06:25 AM
I'm watching Day at this very moment on my special addition DVD. There is an interview that talks about the timeline. Just in general with viewing all of four films you would have to assume that the stories are set after the one before has happend. Each movie does refer to in the beginning or we should have done this when it first happend. Dawn said something about six months before in the TV station sequence at the beginning. That's what I have come up with.:cool:

ipotts85
22-May-2006, 01:49 PM
??
come again?

EvilNed
22-May-2006, 02:13 PM
obviously they dont take place in the same universe? this is such a ridiculous statement that makes absolutely no sense!

Right. But jumping from the 1960's to the 21st century in less than five years makes perfect sense.

MinionZombie
22-May-2006, 03:16 PM
And just thinking about it, in Land of the Dead there's that bit at the start, which essentially summarises the first three movies in a new retrospective, it also references Night of the Living Dead with the old school radio - Romero points it out in the commentary on the Land DVD. That "bring you up to speed" opening titles sequence just feels like something that's saying they're all linked, none of this "four different universes, but they've all got zombie outbreaks of the same fashion" bullplop, that's my view anyway.

EvilNed
22-May-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm torn, but I definetly think the "four different timelines" hold more merits. While I watch the films, I'm not really bothered by any of these theories. I always assumed that they took place in the same timeline, but now I can easily see how it cannot be so.

Either way, it's not something that stops me from enjoying the films.

jdog
23-May-2006, 08:51 PM
i have grown outdoor plants up to 7 feet tall in a 4 month grow season before, so the ones on day look to be about 2 maybe 3 months old .

ipotts85
24-May-2006, 03:56 PM
Right. But jumping from the 1960's to the 21st century in less than five years makes perfect sense.

because they were made years apart...

and what about star wars? the new ones supposedely take place before the originals, yet the technology looks more developed. that argument doesn't prove this alternate timeline bullsh*t.

EvilNed
24-May-2006, 03:59 PM
because they were made years apart...

and what about star wars? the new ones supposedely take place before the originals, yet the technology looks more developed. that argument doesn't prove this alternate timeline bullsh*t.

That's because in the Star Wars universe, the original trilogy takes place during a "dark age". The technology in the prequels IS more advanced!

And they were made years apart? That explains it from a technical point of view, but not a plotline point of view.