PDA

View Full Version : DOTD novel

Cartma7546
12-Aug-2009, 11:15 PM
This has more than likely been posted before but whats the word on the Suzann sperrow version of dawn? Does it follow the same formula as all other books based off movies and add things that they wern't able to put in the film or is it just a screen play. In other words is it worth the time to read it?

capncnut
13-Aug-2009, 12:15 AM
This has more than likely been posted before but whats the word on the Suzann sperrow version of dawn? Does it follow the same formula as all other books based off movies and add things that they wern't able to put in the film or is it just a screen play. In other words is it worth the time to read it?
Essentially it's a script/film novelisation amalgamated. It's Dawn as we know and love but with a bit more realism (no screwdriver kill here, son), plus a shitload of character backgrounds which were not present in the movie. One or two extra scenes... I read it twice... worthy of the time easily.

axlish
13-Aug-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey, don't forget about Adam!

capncnut
13-Aug-2009, 12:24 AM
Woof, woof, yelppppdsfgshg. ;)

Cartma7546
13-Aug-2009, 02:11 AM
Mmm what?

krakenslayer
13-Aug-2009, 07:38 AM
Been reading it on and off over the last while, it's interesting to read into the character backgrounds and there are one or two new scenes, and scenes that only made it into the European cut. It's also fascinating to get an insight into the characters' inner thoughts and the reasoning behind their different actions.

However, it's not too well written. It's starts out well, but the descriptions get a little bit samey and weak after a while, and it jumps between different characters' points of view so often it can be a little jarring. like Ms Sparrow was running out of time and just blasted through the second half of the book in one night. It's certainly worthy of a read, but it ain't Dickens, you know?

ProfessorChaos
13-Aug-2009, 07:56 AM
Been reading it on and off over the last while, it's interesting to read into the character backgrounds and there are one or two new scenes, and scenes that only made it into the European cut. It's also fascinating to get an insight into the characters' inner thoughts and the reasoning behind their different actions.

However, it's not too well written. It's starts out well, but the descriptions get a little bit samey and weak after a while, and it jumps between different characters' points of view so often it can be a little jarring. like Ms Sparrow was running out of time and just blasted through the second half of the book in one night. It's certainly worthy of a read, but it ain't Dickens, you know?

pretty good summary right there, dude. while it does have it's finer points and extra details that us GAR fans appreciate, it's not the easiest read and does in fact feel quite rushed....

livingdeadpress
13-Aug-2009, 06:38 PM
I would have to agree with PROF. CHAOS. The novel of DOTD is lacking in many places and was churned out to make a buck but still, every now and then you will get a little extra nugget of info. Such as what Stephen or Roger is thinking. Any fan of the movie should try to get a copy of the book. As its a different medium, the entire story has to be tackled differently.
I cherish my copy and have both hardcover and paperback. even if its just what the book could have been instead of what it is.
I always wondered what happened to Susanna Sparrow, she wrote dawn and Martin and then that it, there's nothing else on her out there.

suicide22
08-Sep-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm looking forward to the DOTD novel. It sounds good.:skull:;):cool:

krakenslayer
08-Sep-2009, 06:36 PM
I would have to agree with PROF. CHAOS. The novel of DOTD is lacking in many places and was churned out to make a buck but still, every now and then you will get a little extra nugget of info. Such as what Stephen or Roger is thinking. Any fan of the movie should try to get a copy of the book. As its a different medium, the entire story has to be tackled differently.
I cherish my copy and have both hardcover and paperback. even if its just what the book could have been instead of what it is.
I always wondered what happened to Susanna Sparrow, she wrote dawn and Martin and then that it, there's nothing else on her out there.

I think there is a theory that Sparrow was actually Romero's own pen name, but I doubt it as his name actually appears alongside her's on the cover, so that would seem a little pointless. I'm sure I read somewhere, in an interview with Romero and Max Brooks, Romero said she was a lecturer or post-grad student or something that they paid to write the novelisations. Can't find the interview offhand just now, though.

Yojimbo
13-Sep-2009, 06:09 PM

I had wondered about Sparrow too, and agree that while it's not he best written novel it is a must have for a fan all the same.

Hey, don't forget about Adam!
:lol: I had always wished that had actually ended up making it into the movie.

SymphonicX
18-Sep-2009, 04:33 PM
I've got the book but could barely get ten pages in before it annoyed me.

I like the film the way it is, and I felt any insight given was Sparrow's and not Romero's, it felt dettached and definitely rushed.

can someone explain Adam in a spoiler box?

krakenslayer
18-Sep-2009, 08:38 PM
I've got the book but could barely get ten pages in before it annoyed me.

I like the film the way it is, and I felt any insight given was Sparrow's and not Romero's, it felt dettached and definitely rushed.

can someone explain Adam in a spoiler box?

In the original script, and in the novel, Adam is a little puppy that lives in the mall and is adopted by Fran. Basically, there was originally intended to be a pet shop in the mall, with various animals including birds and kittens and puppies. When the survivors take over the mall, they feed the animals in the pet shop to keep them alive and they adopt Adam the puppy as a pet.

In the end, Adam is eaten by the zombies when zombie Steven leads the ghouls up to the hideout. I think Romero dropped it because it was costly and time consuming to shoot with animals, and Adam getting eaten by zombies screwed with the mythology too much.

SymphonicX
19-Sep-2009, 03:50 PM
omg dude that was hilarious use of spoiler boxes....that's cheered me up no end!!!

Ahh man I like those ideas actually, it brings another "plight" into the story....wonder what it'd have been like...perhaps George could do a star wars thing, adding new scenes in digitally...and replacing all the guns with walkie talkies...lulz