PDA

View Full Version : Halloween 2

PJoseph
28-Aug-2009, 09:38 PM
Just saw it. Curious to see what everyone thought.

I like Rob Zombie - loved Devil's Rejects.

Sadly, Did not like his Halloween. Thought this was worse. Brad Dourif was great though - really great actor for horror films.

I don't want to say too much.

Anyone else?

pJ

Purge
29-Aug-2009, 02:21 AM
Here's one review:

Anyone uninitiated with Rob Zombie's brand of grainy hillbilly brutality would be better served by eating a bran muffin and steering clear of this particular horror film, because it's a compliment to call it a piece of crap.

I think I'll pass. :lol:

krakenslayer
29-Aug-2009, 02:28 AM
I really struggle to give a shit about Rob Zombie's movies. Or his music for that matter. I guess he just appeals to a different segment of the horror fanbase than where I am. The whole rockabilly, whacked-out, trippy thing just isn't "cool" in my eyes.

House of 1000 Corpses remains to this day the only film during which I have actually fallen asleep.

Bone Daddy
29-Aug-2009, 05:03 PM
So far, among horror film fans, true horror film fans, this film, for such a short period of time, is already reviled. I have not seen it and can only attest to my utter disappoint with the first RZ Halloween. After reading so many negative reviews, the impetus to see this in a theater is waning. If I go, it will be a matinee with my friends Jack and Coke.

Minerva_Zombi
30-Aug-2009, 04:54 PM
i dug it. but theres only so much originality you can put into a remake because it already has its fans and its history. so, kudos to rob for doing what he wanted to do with this film and the character of michael myers. i prefer the classics, but compared to most horror these days, i really loive robs work.

capncnut
30-Aug-2009, 04:56 PM
House of 1000 Corpses remains to this day the only film during which I have actually fallen asleep.
Ahhh, it's not so bad. I could name a hundred turds worse than 1000 Corpses.

I'll see H2 anyway but I got to admit that the hype ain't looking very good.

MinionZombie
30-Aug-2009, 05:24 PM

I'll see H2 anyway but I got to admit that the hype ain't looking very good.
I'm kinda sad to see the amount of apparent dislike for it, as from all the various clips I've seen, H2 looks right up my street.

Halloween 2007 wasn't as good as the original, no way, but it was a different style of Halloween altogether for the most part - and done by someone with a love and respect for the film itself - so yeah, I like that movie, and I think I'll like H2 even more as Rob goes off in his own direction.

And I'll still go and see his version of The Blob ... ... but I really wanna see T-Rex get made.

DubiousComforts
30-Aug-2009, 11:02 PM
I once dropped off a friend visiting from another country at the theater to see House of 1000 Corpses. It was during the day and I had to work.

When I picked him up, he was so visibly pissed off at having seen the film that I have avoided it to this day. I should have kept that in mind before seeing The Devil's Rejects.

Purge
31-Aug-2009, 02:58 PM
I once dropped off a friend visiting from another country at the theater to see House of 1000 Corpses. It was during the day and I had to work.

When I picked him up, he was so visibly pissed off at having seen the film that I have avoided it to this day. I should have kept that in mind before seeing The Devil's Rejects.

Really? I thought TDR was a quantum leap ahead of 1K Corpses. In fact, it was one of the best horror films I've seen in theaters.

Mike70
31-Aug-2009, 03:03 PM
here is my deal with rob zombie: i don't like his style. i don't care for the way he shoots, for the way he uses light nor the way he uses color. visually his movies are about as appealing to me as, oh i don't know, watching open heart surgery. it has nothing to do with the stories, characters, etc. i simply cannot stand his visual style.

PJoseph
31-Aug-2009, 10:39 PM
My biggest issue with RZ's Halloween 2 is that it wasn't scary...at all....there was no suspense. I don't mind films being brutal, but at least don't make me just sit around bored during the lulls - where there should be suspense.

Side note - I saw the Comic-Con panel a few years ago when RZ and cast where there for Halloween. Zombie made this whole speech about how his film wasn't just a girl being chased around by a guy with a knife.

And then he played the clip. It was the scene where Meyers is chasing Laurie around the old house.

I do realize that the film isn't JUST that and he choose to play this clip - but everyone viewing was laughing at it.

Devil's Rejects still stands as a great film - and if it's the only good movie he ever makes, that's still pretty cool.

pJ

ProfessorChaos
31-Aug-2009, 11:30 PM
been debating on seeing this, but had a busy weekend...probably wait and catch it at matinee prices.

DubiousComforts
31-Aug-2009, 11:44 PM
Really? I thought TDR was a quantum leap ahead of 1K Corpses. In fact, it was one of the best horror films I've seen in theaters.
It probably is/was, but I still see it as a very poor film. There is nothing truly horrific or frightening about The Devil's Rejects, it's simply unbridled sadism. Unfortunately, none of the actors (nor the director) is able to pull off sadism very well, in particular Sheri Moon Zombie. Having grown up with 70s and early 80s grindhouse, The Devil's Rejects simply comes across as a whole lot of noise.

Now if you want to see real true-to-life horror and sadism, just watch a film like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Trencher
01-Sep-2009, 07:57 AM
- and done by someone with a love and respect for the film itself -

What?

MinionZombie
01-Sep-2009, 10:18 AM
What?
Yeah, RZ has said numerous times himself how much he loves the original movie ... he's also said he watched it a bunch of times before doing the remake, but that he now thinks of doing that as a mistake as it got his head into a rut he had to keep thinking around.

ProfessorChaos
08-Sep-2009, 02:35 PM
well, me and the new ladyfriend sat down and watched RZ's first halloween on dvd (she'd not seen it, but is a fan of the first couple of JC halloween films) and then went and saw RZ's H2 in theaters friday. we both thought it was a super-shitty movie, here's why, minor spoilers may follow.

overall, i'd give this one maybe a 2/10, and that's being generous. and that's only for a couple of great kill scenes, the inclusion of the original NOTLD on the tv in the background in one scene, and the opening 30 minutes or so showing the aftermath of the first film, and then when michael comes back and is rampaging through the hospital...then you are shown that that part was one of his sister's many nightmares, and then it all goes downhill from there.

once you see how fucked up michael myers sister has gotten and what sort of style/friends she keeps (could just be a matter of taste, but i really didn't dig the whole "wannabe punk, party-animal, hipster-tramp" look), the film really takes a nose-dive...then you also realize that half the film is just a bunch of lame dream/nightmare sequences with loud screaming, flashing lights, and loud noise, it gets even worse. and wtf is with mikey eating raw dog meat? loomis was a fucking joke, they should have left his ass dead...then throw in the fact that RZ had to go and put his talentless wife into the film every twenty minutes or so, and this film takes on huge levels of suck-age. the diarrhea icing on the turd cake came at the end where his sister came outside of the shack with his mask on....skinny little stick-figure bitch wearing a ripped-up and torn michael myers mask that appeared to be the size of a parka....fucking lame.....half the theater was laughing at that part. i almost felt embarrassed for RZ at that point...

definitely not gonna pick up the dvd of this one. maybe one day it'll be on tv and if i've got nothing else going on, i'd sit through it again....but like i've said before, rz should've done H1 and H2 as one solid remake and that would've been okay...

a buddy at work last night and i discussed this film and he had pretty much the same opinion. catch it at a cheap-theater, walk out after she wakes up and starts whining about her dreams, and save yourself the time of sitting through the rest of this travesty.

darth los
08-Sep-2009, 03:13 PM
i dug it. but theres only so much originality you can put into a remake because it already has its fans and its history. so, kudos to rob for doing what he wanted to do with this film and the character of michael myers. i prefer the classics, but compared to most horror these days, i really loive robs work.

I agree. Say what you want but atleast the man has a creative vision he sees through to fruition. He's alot like GAr in that respect.

:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
13-Sep-2009, 09:59 PM
Halloween 2 must be total shit... it didn't even make the top 10 and has only grossed half of what the 2007 film made.

bassman
13-Sep-2009, 11:51 PM
Halloween 2 must be total shit... it didn't even make the top 10 and has only grossed half of what the 2007 film made.

I haven't seen the film, but I just have to say it....

Because we all know that how much a film makes measures how good it is...

ProfessorChaos
14-Sep-2009, 04:41 AM
good point, but he's right, halloween 2 is shit save for the first 20 minutes and a few great kills later on...so about 90% shit.

tkane18
17-Sep-2009, 03:37 AM
Maybe they would have made a bit more money if they released it a little later in the year........maybe near HALLOWEEN!!!
I'll never understand why RZ's Halloween movies were released in August.
I mean come on.....just look at the frick'n title of the movie!
When was the last time someone released a Christmas movie in June?!?!? :annoyed:

MinionZombie
17-Sep-2009, 10:00 AM
Maybe they would have made a bit more money if they released it a little later in the year........maybe near HALLOWEEN!!!
I'll never understand why RZ's Halloween movies were released in August.
I mean come on.....just look at the frick'n title of the movie!
When was the last time someone released a Christmas movie in June?!?!? :annoyed:
I know! Your movie is named "HALLOWEEN" - release it for fucking HALLOWEEN! :eek:

bassman
17-Sep-2009, 01:32 PM
Not only is it silly for them to release it in August, but it always makes the creators have to hurry along and rush the project. October would make more sense from a marketing angle and it would also give the creators an extra month or two...