PDA

View Full Version : Another Remake! This time: ROTLD....

bassman
22-May-2006, 02:52 PM
That's right folks.....supposedly there's going to be a remake of the original "Return". The guy that brought us "ROTLD 4 & 5" is working on this....

Check it out here (http://joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=4236)

What can I say? You can't be surprised with all the remakes they've already been working on. Just another crap film for the pile, I'm afraid.

I can't really complain because I never really liked the original. Besides, I don't think they could make the remake any more of a cheese-fest than the orginal.

Just thought some of you would like to know...

Adrenochrome
22-May-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, doesn't phase me at all....the "Return" series is a load of crap.:D

EvilNed
22-May-2006, 03:01 PM
I just rewatched the original, and I was surprised at how clever and well made it was. Dan O'Bannon really got the best out of some not-so-good actors and made it look like a real arty flick. The long dialog shots are excellent, almost QT style.

slickwilly13
22-May-2006, 03:03 PM
Hell no!!! :mad:

bassman
22-May-2006, 03:20 PM
Well, doesn't phase me at all....the "Return" series is a load of crap.:D

I agree with that. The first film has a few redeeming qualities but overall, ultimate cheese.

MaximusIncredulous
22-May-2006, 03:35 PM
I just rewatched the original, and I was surprised at how clever and well made it was. Dan O'Bannon really got the best out of some not-so-good actors and made it look like a real arty flick. The long dialog shots are excellent, almost QT style.

I thought Clu Gulager and Don Calfa were the best and they'd been acting for quite awhile before Return, so I don't know if they actually qualify as not-so-good actors.

EvilNed
22-May-2006, 03:42 PM
I thought Clu Gulager and Don Calfa were the best and they'd been acting for quite awhile before Return, so I don't know if they actually qualify as not-so-good actors.

True, true, as with James Karen. But I thought the deliverance of almost all of the lines in the film, coming from amateur or pro, was really great. Dan O'Bannon must be a perfectionist.

MaximusIncredulous
22-May-2006, 04:19 PM
True, true, as with James Karen. But I thought the deliverance of almost all of the lines in the film, coming from amateur or pro, was really great. Dan O'Bannon must be a perfectionist.

I agree and that's kept that film going for me for over 20 years .

MinionZombie
22-May-2006, 04:44 PM
Damn youze!

I liked the original, but it's also the principle of the thing - STOP REMAKING MOVIES, geez! I haven't seen part 5, but part 4 sucked copious amounts of man shaft, the script was abominable, really utterly and truly awful. The remake, if it happens, will be utter sh*t.

Apparently the Friday 13th remake (I know, I didn't know there was going to one either!) is "on hold" (i.e. long grass, i.e. dead in the water). Heard about it on that DeadPit radio thing with Gary Klar, something about New Line Cinema not having the rights to the name, hahaha, I bet Paramount deliberately did the deal like that to fudge them over, but it doesn't make sense, because surely Paramount now don't have the right to make another Jason movie?

Cease the remakes you Hollywood f*cks! 99% of them are total sh*t, it's pandering to an idiotic, MTV-jerking audience who don't know sh*t about anything good or pushing it at non-horror-fan audiences. It's like "When A Stranger Calls" - STOP IT.

Come up with some new ideas already, goddamn! The sooner this f*cking awful fad is over the better. It's like colorising Casablanca ... oh wait a minute - HOLLYWOOD ALREADY DID THAT! :|

Combat Zombie
22-May-2006, 06:07 PM
...:| ...if someone dies tonight, this is why....

zombie04
22-May-2006, 06:26 PM
once again an unnecessary remake. I'd rather see ROTLD part 6,7,8 than a remake of part 1.

Svengoolie
22-May-2006, 08:29 PM
Well, if it's being brought to us by the crew that gave us ROTLD 4 and 5, I think it's safe to say that it'll probably suck a$$.:bored:

axlish
22-May-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm cool with parts 4 and 5 as sequels, but I wouldn't trust an honorable remake of the original in the hands of these guys. I'm all for them continuing to make sequels in good fun, but part one was already remade. It was called part 2.

DjfunkmasterG
22-May-2006, 08:52 PM
GET MY AGENT ON THE PHONE! NOW! Oh wait I forgot I don't have an AGENT! :(

If it has to be remade I wanna direct it. LOU, get me the directors job for this. Track these low life cork suckers down and put a gun to their head and have them hire me. If it has to be remade then let it be done by a fan of the film with a new twist and not some shoddy bull**** like ROTLD 4 & 5.

Now Back to reality...

THIS IS THE WORST FREAKING NEWS I HAVE HAD ALL DAY!

NVK
22-May-2006, 09:55 PM
Maybe if the producer was smart he could get Dan O Bannon to direct it. On the ROTLD DVD, Dan mentions several times when he wanted to do something in the film but couldn't. The zombie makeup could be more EC Comic like this time around.

Combat Zombie
23-May-2006, 02:55 AM
Okay, I've thought about it, and I'm not going to change my mind on how I felt before about another remake (ask anyone in hollywood about originality these days and they'll be scrambling for their dictionaries to find out what it means), but if the script is polished by better writers, has a good director (perhaps Dan would do it again?), and a Tar-Man that rocks at least at the same level the original Tar-Man, and I'd consider seeing it. If I get a little less than that, I'll wait for it to hit the video store, which is where it'll likely end up (and with a Part 6 subtitle, you just watch), to rent it. And if things really look bad for it, I'm not even going to consider using it for a coaster.

The zombie makeup could be more EC Comic like this time around.

Something I doubt we'll see, but I'd love to see it happen. That's the problem with alot of remakes. They only look at the film to use as the backboard. If they really wanted to do it justice, they should look at all the kinds of things that inspired the original films, such as the EC stories and stuff.

erisi236
23-May-2006, 03:11 AM
of all the pontless remakes in the world a RotLD one would fall in the bottom 5 at least, right next to Friday the 13th and Halloween(they aren't trying to do a Halloween remake are they?)

I'd say once a film gets to part 3, remakes no longer make any sense (as far as remakeing films can make sense anyway), besides like people have mentioned, half of RotLD has already been remade, they just called it RotLD2! :dead:

DeadJonas190
23-May-2006, 05:16 AM
BAH! Not another garbage remake. Maybe they will make it from the original story, it's a lot better than the story they used for the movie.

Guru ofthe Dead
23-May-2006, 05:49 AM
Man that movie is'nt worthy of a remake, the best part was the dancing nude girl on the tombstones. The gay punkers they had where just too much for me. To me it was mor comedy than horror.:cool:

DjfunkmasterG
23-May-2006, 12:29 PM
Man that movie is'nt worthy of a remake, the best part was the dancing nude girl on the tombstones. The gay punkers they had where just too much for me. To me it was mor comedy than horror.:cool:

That was the intent of the original film. It was a Horror-Comedy. The first and the alltime best until Shaun came along. However, I still rank ROTLD1 as my favorite zombie film of all time.

bassman
23-May-2006, 12:31 PM
That was the intent of the original film. It was a Horror-Comedy. The first and the alltime best until Shaun came along. However, I still rank ROTLD1 as my favorite zombie film of all time.

But "Shaun" was able to do the same thing and not be cheesey with it....

"ROTLD" doesn't even come close to "Shaun"..

EvilNed
23-May-2006, 02:29 PM
ROTLD didn't use the same kind of horror as Shaun. Shaun was just a regular british comedy, but with zombies in it. The zombies themselves were not funny, but the notion of fast, braineating and comical zombies in ROTLD was part of the goof.

The scene where the zombies chase Chuck and that punk girl into the warehouse, while screaming out "Brains, braaains!" is just hilarious! :lol:

I wouldn't rank either film ontop of the other. They are both great.

MinionZombie
23-May-2006, 02:33 PM
I'd personally rank Shaun of the Dead way above ROTLD :D

I love ROTLD, but Shaun is just 100% "THE tits" :cool: It helps that I'm British, so all the little touches e.g. Hog Lumps and "Brevel out back" just make it all gravy, there's so few British movies, and even fewer British zombie movies - that are as good as Shaun.

NVK
23-May-2006, 11:19 PM
I like ROTLD more than SOTD. I think SOTD is a great movie, Funny,scary, and suprisingly sad scenes. But I like darker, twisted humor more than British. ROTLD is also scary.

Guru ofthe Dead
24-May-2006, 04:31 AM
bassman311 I agree Shaun was'nt cheesy at all. Once again ROTLD was using a different kind of spin on the dead thing. I guess if you look at it the twist would be using a chemical to reactivate the dead they may do different things, however decay once again will come into play. You can't have the dead just jumping around and talking. Good try though they got three movies made. However is twenty years good enough to be able to remake a movie.:) :cool: :skull:

MinionZombie
24-May-2006, 10:21 AM
"darker, twisted humour"? Clearly you haven't seen enough British comedy, lol. "Jam" for instance, that is darker than pitch black and it's still funny, but oh man is it twisted. "League of Gentlemen" is another that's rather dark...

LouCipherr
24-May-2006, 04:13 PM
GET MY AGENT ON THE PHONE! NOW! Oh wait I forgot I don't have an AGENT! :(

If it has to be remade I wanna direct it. LOU, get me the directors job for this.

What the hell do I look like Dj? A producer?! :lol:

I can't believe they're remaking this either. Yet even MORE evidence Hollywood is drowning in its own feces. No more original ideas, everything has to be a remake of a comic book character, a cartoon, or a remake of a movie that had ZERO business being remade.

Now I'm wondering when they'll remake Halloween. Hell, Carpenter already let them screw up The Fog completely... WHAT'S NEXT!? :mad:

The future of filmmaking will be independant films. Mainstream films have gone to the dogs and I doubt they'll ever recover. Fools.

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2006, 05:04 PM
What the hell do I look like Dj? A producer?! :lol:

Do you seriously want me to answer this question? :D

Get on the phone with Arora Entertainment tell Antonaly Fradis that you have the perfect director in mind and that he can't phuck it up any more than Ellroy Elkem did with parts 4 & 5.

We can also save him money on an editor and composer. I already did my remix of the ROTLD theme months ago. :D

axlish
24-May-2006, 05:39 PM
ROTLD>Shaun

Shaun was a decent comedy. Return of the Living Dead blew Day of the Dead out of the theatres. It doesn't help that Spaced>Shaun.

lullubelle
24-May-2006, 05:55 PM
It seems that creativity is dead or Hollywood Film Makers ran out of ideas, I totally enjoyed ROTLD it is cheesy but makes for a good viewing and these film makers should come up with new ideas instead of remaking and sequels, the zombie genre has a lot of stories to tell in diffrent ways, millions of ways
so i dont see the need to remake, could be that they want to sell the story to a new generation which is basically what they are trying to do, just my opinion:D

LouCipherr
24-May-2006, 07:35 PM
Oh, I agree about trying to sell it to a younger generation - but personally I would rather the younger generation see the originals in the format and way they were intended to be viewed. Remaking a film (unless it's a shot-by-shot duplication of the original) just taints the original vision of the filmmaker who made the original. It's like the remake of NOTLD/3D - when I saw the trailer and saw Sid Haig, I thought "man, this looks good" - then they flashed to the other actors and other scenes and I rolled my eyes - nothing but 'young kids' in the movie to appeal to the younger generation, and an editing style that I've heard referred to as "ADD Editing" - y'know, that quick-cut MTV style of crap. Infuriating.

On the flip side of that, take the original Dawn of the Dead - there's not a single person under the age of, say, 30 that could probably sit through it and enjoy it. It's just too long for the ADD kids of the current generation, so in a way I just shot my own self down with the whole "they should see the originals" :lol: They wouldn't be able to get out of it what we did when we saw it originally. -sigh- It's just a big mess.

I dunno, I'm just ticked off at hollywood. They really need to come up with some original ideas and stop remaking movies that have no business being remade, and stop making movies about comic book characters and cartoons. I haven't seen but maybe a handful of "original" movie ideas in the past 3-4 years. Movies from the 'big movie makers', for the most part, have just sucked horribly for the past few years.

I'm tellin' ya, watch the independent film market, it will explode soon enough just like the "indie music" scene - that's where the original ideas are going to be. Hollywood is more concerned about making friggin' money than making decent, watchable and enjoyable entertainment. It's a thing of the past for them, just like major music labels.

LC

MinionZombie
24-May-2006, 10:46 PM
Hollywood sucks beanbag. As for films like Dawn, there will always be the dedicated underground, people like us. I saw Dawn when I was 15 - really perfect ADD MTV fodder - but I was FLOORED by Dawn when I first saw it. Was glued to my seat, barely blinked, was BLOWN away by it. Although I was always a couple of years ahead of myself maturity wise in my teenage years, then I balanced out...now I'm probably immature for my age, ha!

I'm hoping that in a couple of years this remake fad will be over, people are starting to wake up and smell the rotten celluloid. Originality or sh*t you haven't seen before is where the ticket sales are at. Hollywood is just too scared and too whipped and retarded to understand why they're not succeeding.

Not all remakes are bad, but there's so many that the term has been given a really bad name.

For instance, the Hills Have Eyes remake took an okay film and made a pretty darn scary and rather well written and put together flick. Carpenter's "Thing" goes back to the source material rather than Hawks' own take on proceedings. But goddamn, come on Hollywood, wake-the-fudge-up!

Combat Zombie
25-May-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm 15 and I like the original Dawn more than the remake. And I'd rather watch Nosferatu than the next Underworld or something. And Sean Connery is the best Bond ever.

NVK
25-May-2006, 01:05 AM
Yeah im 15 too. And I hate MTV and current "trends". There is this kid in my class at school. It was during the time Slither was in theaters. I was talking about Slither ripping off Night Of The Creeps. He mentioned that now it will have better special FX. Which I assume he meant CGI. I told him Night Of The Creeps had good FX, even to today's standards. He just was like "Surree" Ironically, he really DOES have ADD.

LouCipherr
25-May-2006, 07:15 PM
CZ and NVK - I'm glad there are a few exceptions to the rule. Overall though, most people of your generation (and there is no offense meant by this) would have a hard time enjoying the original DOTD. Too long, too drawn out - but i'm glad there are some like you guys that can see it for what it is and enjoy it. Kudos to you. :D

LC

zombie04
25-May-2006, 08:50 PM
CZ and NVK - I'm glad there are a few exceptions to the rule. Overall though, most people of your generation (and there is no offense meant by this) would have a hard time enjoying the original DOTD. Too long, too drawn out - but i'm glad there are some like you guys that can see it for what it is and enjoy it. Kudos to you. :D

LC

I don't think any offense should be taken. I remember seeing the whole trilogy between the ages of 11 and 13 and just being blown away by them, and that was in 90s. Looking back on it all, I just think I was gifted by good taste:D