PDA

View Full Version : "How To Impress Your Director 101"

LouCipherr
22-May-2006, 08:11 PM
The setup: an extra named Josh volunteered to do one of the more elaborate special effects shots for Deadlands. Without giving away too much details as to what we were doing, I'll just say we had to filll his mouth up with blood for the effect.

Well, we filled up his mouth with blood before he laid down on the ground. He said it was ok and that he'd be fine. Big mistake. :lol:

After he was in position and on his mark, Dj and the DP made sure the shot was framed properly in the camera and got ready for a take. This took a minute or two, and, well, as much of a sport as Josh was...he just couldn't hold the blood in his mouth any longer and had to spit it out on the ground in front of him.

At the time, I was helping the special fx supervisor and we had our hands full with a pump for some blood effects and both and hers and my hands were doused in blood almost up to our elbows (some sticky stuff I might add). We realized what happened with Josh and started frantically trying to figure out a way to get more blood in his mouth so we could roll camera, but not taint the set because we were dripping with blood and had this pump in our hands....

Now, remember, it's way past midnight, we're in a residental neighborhood trying not to tick off the neighbors who are sleeping, we promised the people we rented the hall from we wouldn't be filming outside after midnight (and here we are, 12:30am) - we had no time to screw around.

Short on time, and being the kind of extra every director would ask for, Josh did what had to be done. Thank god we caught this on tape. This is what you call a dedicated extra. :D

"How To Impress Your Director 101" (http://rapidshare.de/files/21124418/Slurpee.wmv.html)

____

For those unfamiliar with rapidshare: click on the link above. In the second column in the middle of the page that pops up, click the gray button that says "free". On the next page, wait for the timer (near the bottom) to hit 0, then enter the code it shows you and click download. It's all free, no registration required.

DjfunkmasterG
23-May-2006, 12:05 PM
I am surprised no one has chimed in yet. :D Did we gross everyone out? :lol:

Josh was a real trooper. He gets the Extra of the Shoot award. :skull:

LouCipherr
23-May-2006, 12:17 PM
Man, that clip freaks me the hell out so much even I still don't know what to say! :lol:

Yeah, Josh by far wins the award for best (and most dedicated) extra, period, end of story.

I swear, every time I watch it I almost get sick, but then when I hear the crowd of 30+ extras going "eeewwwwww!" and the DP saying "That was AWESOME!" I giggle a little to myself... :D

MinionZombie
23-May-2006, 02:42 PM
Ewww, that was dirt he was slurping off of!

I tell you, it's great having folk help you out on a film and really stick with it. The blood mix I use for my literally no-budget filmmaking is basically red dye in washing up liquid (not shaken or added water obviously). Anyway, on "my NIGHTMARE" I had Emma suck on her bloody index finger and last year doing "Trapped" Ben got really aggressive with the blood spraying on Sean's face and a huge jet of it (same mix) went straight in his mouth, on the raw footage you can hear him make this hideous gulpy/gurgle noise as he tries not to swallow the mix *shudders*.

Emma meanwhile was lying on the ground below him for the shot and she got splashed with a lot of fake blood too, they were all up for it, and the resulting shot was great. It was like getting Gareth SOAKED in that blood mix for "my NIGHTMARE" two years ago now (almost) for the slit-throat sequence, he was caked in it, but loved every minute.

Nice clip there guys, ewwww, off the DIRT for cryin' out loud. Damn.

DjfunkmasterG
23-May-2006, 03:21 PM

I tell you, it's great having folk help you out on a film and really stick with it. The blood mix I use for my literally no-budget filmmaking is basically red dye in washing up liquid (not shaken or added water obviously). Anyway, on "my NIGHTMARE" I had Emma suck on her bloody index finger and last year doing "Trapped" Ben got really aggressive with the blood spraying on Sean's face and a huge jet of it (same mix) went straight in his mouth, on the raw footage you can hear him make this hideous gulpy/gurgle noise as he tries not to swallow the mix *shudders*.

Emma meanwhile was lying on the ground below him for the shot and she got splashed with a lot of fake blood too, they were all up for it, and the resulting shot was great. It was like getting Gareth SOAKED in that blood mix for "my NIGHTMARE" two years ago now (almost) for the slit-throat sequence, he was caked in it, but loved every minute.

You should use Pancake Syrup with A lot of red dye, and a drip or two of green. This is edible and safer than washing liquid which is harful to ones health when swallowed in large amounts.

Safety First on any movie set. :D

Glad ya liked the clip.

LouCipherr
23-May-2006, 03:42 PM

Yeah, now that's what you call dedication to a project! Josh is a wonderful person and was really willing to step up to the plate and take one for the team. Take one for the team he certainly did! :lol: If you look close, not only does he get the blood back in his mouth, but he swishes it around in there! YUK!!!!!

Mind you, this clip you watched was after he was in the makeup dept. for almost two hours getting made up - and he was standing up the whole time he was in there! What a trooper.

I can't reveal exactly what we were doing to him in makeup, but I think it's just incredible that a non-paid extra was willing to "do what it took" to get the damn job done.

I still laugh every time I hear the DP in the background say "That was awesome!" when everyone else was saying "eeeewwwwwww!!! nasty!"

..and like Dj said, pancacke syrup is great for blood - albeit sticky as all hell. I had that crap almost all the way up to my elbows, as did our makeup fx supervisor - and poor Josh was just covered with the stuff.. While we were setting up the shot, all I kept saying was "we're going for pancakes after this - I'm getting hungry smelling this blood!" :D

Dj, i've come to the conclusion that we're just evil people. :elol:

bassman
23-May-2006, 04:55 PM
I can't seem to get the clip to work. What exactly does the fella do?

I gotsta say that from what I've seen, your "home movie";) is looking pretty sweet. All I've been able to check out is photos, though. I can't get most video to work on this computer so I haven't seen the trailers/clips.:dead:

The "home movie" thing is a joke. DJ knows what I'm talking about. And if it makes a difference, DJ(It probably doesn't), I take it back.

LouCipherr
23-May-2006, 05:09 PM
I can't seem to get the clip to work. What exactly does the fella do?

So I don't ruin the 'surprise' for others, I'll PM ya and explain. :)