PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil

erisi236
03-Mar-2006, 03:40 PM
For those who hate the movies, may I remind you of the source material. :D

Resident Evil Intro (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0wdkQ87kD-k&search=resident%20evil)

dmbfanintn
03-Mar-2006, 03:51 PM
Does not always equate to a great film, especially when they stray so far from said material.

You should hunt down and read GAR's draft for the Resident Evil film. It was quite true to the game and VERY Romero!

I had super high hopes for the RE films, they just failed on so many levels!

C

a1150
03-Mar-2006, 04:12 PM
The films totally lack any of the atmosphere of the games.

Humor Tumor
07-Mar-2006, 03:20 PM
Does not always equate to a great film, especially when they stray so far from said material.

You should hunt down and read GAR's draft for the Resident Evil film. It was quite true to the game and VERY Romero!

I had super high hopes for the RE films, they just failed on so many levels!

C

Which draft, he made several?

Dead_Leader
09-Mar-2006, 01:08 PM
Well, they tried to fix all of that in Resident Evil: Apocalypse by putting characters from the game in it. Unfortunately, the best acting done by someone playing a character from the game was Nemesis. The rest...sucked.

dmbfanintn
09-Mar-2006, 03:37 PM
Which draft, he made several?

This one:

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html

Mortis
11-Apr-2006, 06:07 PM
How about the commercial he did?

http://www.residentevilfan.ws/vids/romeroBHcommercial.wmv

erisi236
11-Apr-2006, 06:12 PM
wow total bumpage! :lol:

Mortis
11-Apr-2006, 06:26 PM
I got here late, so I have to make my rounds. :D

wow total bumpage! :lol:

bassman
11-Apr-2006, 06:33 PM
I thought the first one was alright. It definitely could have been alittle better. The second movie though.....blah. Ultimate cheese...

Deadman_Deluxe
11-Apr-2006, 07:03 PM
The films totally lack any of the atmosphere of the games.

Maybe you guys are missing the point? No one wanted to watch ninety minutes of ingame footage acted out for real.

The movies are actually far more accurate and/or faithful to the series of resident evil novels. That's novels as in books, real books, bought from a shop, made from real paper ... which you have to read to understand.

Though i thought the portrayal of the RE movie "zombies" was great, probably the best seen on screen since NOTLD 1990.

HLS
13-Apr-2006, 05:13 AM
The Chris character looks like Bill Paxton when he was in Wierd Science or whatever that 80's movie was called.

Danny
13-Apr-2006, 12:11 PM
god damn thats one wacky videogame opening.

possibly the wackiest ,not counting we love katamari though,lol.

axlish
13-Apr-2006, 02:22 PM
I love both movies, and yes they stray a little far from the game at times, but they are still good fun. I think the biggest problem of the films, especially part two, is that they are filmed in Canada, and have to use Canadian actors such as that sissy black guy that had to wear elbow pads to create the illusion that his arms are "big". The RE films could have been better but they are still fun. I think they would have been better had they concentrated on one solitary character exploring Raccoon City, bumping into other characters and events along the way.

rikimaru
13-Apr-2006, 10:14 PM
creepy mansion zombie conspiracy way better story and if no one wanted to watch a movie portreyal of the first game is untrue thats just the excuse people use. I think this movie would have made more money and been alot more scary if it at least loosly followed the story. Also it wouldent have to be exactly like the game just reasonable mansion and characters would be enough to satisfy all the fans who where so dissapointed in that respect.

i really disliked the first movie and the second movie aswell.

as for the second movie the movie coulda been better the idea was good but not well executed.

Also the RE universe is based on the games NOT the books the books are good and yes you have to read them but the games came first and made the universe.

saying that the books are the real story simply because they are books doesnt work for me. That would be like saying if i wrote a dawn of the dead book and got it published it would be the new law of GAR's universe. Your off base on that im sorry to say. (look at tabloids for example...)

I did however agree on somthing ... the zombies where well well done.

erisi236
14-Apr-2006, 02:12 PM
I think the biggest problem of the films, especially part two, is that they are filmed in Canada

tho' seeing Toronto getting nuked was quite interesting :lol:

EvilNed
14-Apr-2006, 05:00 PM
Didn't see the second one. However, the first one didn't really leave me "craving for more", far from it.

AcesandEights
15-Apr-2006, 12:27 AM
I loved the first Resident Evil. I was all set to hate it, not because I'm a zombie purist, but because it was a videogame film and was being cynical.

I was pleasantly surprised, however, quite possibly due to the fact I was being--as mentioned above--somewhat doubtful about the fun the film would provide.

I felt the second film was offal, though and a waste of time, but that's just me.

Rottedfreak
16-Apr-2006, 04:36 PM
You could view Resident Evil remake on the Cube as a interactive CGI film, the graphics are close enough - they are still polygon character/monsters on a pre rendered background but the blend works far better then previously with particle effects, shadows and the amount of detail.
The in game cut scenes are some of the best and the voice acting is alot better then the original.
I'd swear the dialogue was taken straight out the SD Perry novel.

Wooley
17-Apr-2006, 10:53 AM
The two RE flicks aren't award winning greatness by any stretch of the imagination, but I never figured they would be, so I wasn't dissapointed by them. I do think they should have used S.D Perry's novelizations as the base script material, and kept a more faithful adaption. I really would have liked to see the RE3 intro movie, with the cops being overwhelmed, and the Umbrella mercs fast roping into the city on the big screen. I liked what I got in RE2: Nemesis, but would have liked more.

p2501
17-Apr-2006, 12:56 PM
Maybe you guys are missing the point? No one wanted to watch ninety minutes of ingame footage acted out for real.

The movies are actually far more accurate and/or faithful to the series of resident evil novels. That's novels as in books, real books, bought from a shop, made from real paper ... which you have to read to understand.

Though i thought the portrayal of the RE movie "zombies" was great, probably the best seen on screen since NOTLD 1990.

great points all around.

honestly they're not bad films, and they stands leaps and bounds above the games in every possible respect.

RE1 is the better of the two, and while it does have suffer from some spotty writing here and there it's and overall tolerable film. if nothing else atleast they tried to be original, and there nothing wrong with that.

with RE2, I liked all of the NON Alice-fu action scenes were pretty good. nemesis was executed well, and the zombies looked... zombie-ish. everything else... not so good.

erisi236
17-Apr-2006, 02:15 PM
I really would have liked to see the RE3 intro movie, with the cops being overwhelmed, and the Umbrella mercs fast roping into the city on the big screen.

Umm, that scene WAS in the movie, RE2, did you miss that or something? :D

EvilNed
17-Apr-2006, 02:17 PM
Ok, you guys asked for this. I'm gonna break the Resident Evil film totally (but just the first one, haven't seen the second one).

First off, the zombies are super pussy. No makeup, growling like some kind of angst ridden teenagers. I mean, they are pale. That's it. We never see ANY feeding, just a bunch of zombie arms reaching out and pull someone into the crowd. And how many zombie scenes do we have? Two. That's it. I just rewatched this ****fest and I was just as disappointed as the first time I saw it. The angst ridden teenagers come in mass twice and attack our heroes. But these scenes are just filled with action, action, action. And not "Aliens" kind of action either, even though it tried to copy that film, but real weak action. The sound effects of the machine guns sound like crap, and we get a dozen quick shots of zombies getting shot and fall down, cut to that ANNOYING BITCH Michelle Rodriguez yelling something, cut back to zombie being shot. That's how our entire two zombie sequences go. They're short, they're just action and they feature Michelle Rodriguez. I mean, what else do you need to stamp down one huge "F for Failure" on a zombie film?

That stupid monster in the end looks horrible and in the second act he replaces the zombies as the main threat. Big mistake, because no matter how many times they show us that cranberry sauce jellyfish he doesn't scare me. He makes me want to throw up, but just because of the fact that he looks so horrible. Mortal Kombat 2 graphics anyone? And why the hell does he catch on fire when he's being dragged behind the cart? That doesn't make any sense at all. I watched Showdown in Little Tokyo last night where the main baddie gets impaled on a fireworks wheel. Suddenly, the entire thing explodes, even though there were just some weak firecrackers on there! That's the kind of "What the hell?" effect you get from the ending in Resident Evil.

Paul W.S. Anderson must have felt that his action was horrible (becuase it was, just LOOk at that zombie dog scene! Most stupid scene ever) so he fit it in an overly complicated plot that's A) not interesting and B) totally unnecessary. Sure, it's complicated. But complicated don't mean good. Why the hell should we care for any of these characters? Why the hell didn't Michelle Rodriguez bite the bullet in the first scene? And all those SWAT team members? Remember the old Star Trek series where there would always be some expendable crew members that could take a dive for the team and show us how serious the situation was? That's what these SWAT team members are for, but the sole exception is that in the most hip and cool style, they still get some screentime, pulling away precious time from our main characters. We know everyone is going to die, and soon, so just kill them off and let us follow our main characters instead. Because once the action starts, there's ONE "character" scene. One. Between all the horribly ugly zombie dogs and laser tag chases, they slow down to talk once. But by that time, the chase is already lost and the director cannot possibly unravel the overly complicated plot intime for the next action scene.

This film suffers from many problems: Suck ass action scenes, 1968' angst ridden teenager zombies and a plot that doesn't make any sense. They should have decided to either do a plotfilm with zombies or action in it, or an action film with a plot to match. They can't do both, because the end result is truly horrible.

Michelle Rodriguez should never star in another movie ever again.

Svengoolie
17-Apr-2006, 04:23 PM
Didn't Super Mario Brothers teach the world anything?:confused:

Adrenochrome
17-Apr-2006, 04:27 PM
Didn't Super Mario Brothers teach the world anything?:confused:
what?....hop, run, grab a mushroom and be happy forever?
Super Mario Brothers was created by insane hippies that wanted to take over the world!

erisi236
17-Apr-2006, 04:41 PM
the zombies in the RE movie were plenty good enough for me :)

http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/residentevil-zombies.jpg

http://www.nonsolomartelli.net/Images3/Films%203/Resident%20evil/Zombie.jpg

Svengoolie
17-Apr-2006, 04:48 PM
I never saw the first one--like I said, SMB put me off flicks based on video games.

I checked out RE2 on dvd, just for the hell of it, and was basically unimpressed except for the Lara Croft rip-off.

But, I still liked it more than Land.:D

EvilNed
17-Apr-2006, 04:54 PM
the zombies in the RE movie were plenty good enough for me :)

Look at those two zombies lurking behind the first one in that shot. Get my point about "horrible zombies"?

erisi236
17-Apr-2006, 05:01 PM
well 90% of those folks killed in that lab were just snuffed out with hellon gas, so the zombies would just look a bit pale as opposed to all smashed up and bloody :)

p2501
17-Apr-2006, 05:22 PM
Look at those two zombies lurking behind the first one in that shot. Get my point about "horrible zombies"?

not at all.

and seriously how many dead people have you seen?

most of the "worker" zombies were killed within the office complex by an aersolized poison (i think it could have been the Halon Fire control system) so they would be lacking any obvious signs of trauma. as for the two your referring to. the leftmost one is suffering from a pretty decent portrayal of a cervical vertebrae compound fracture. one that's done about as well as an actor can physically do.

as for the zombie to the right. she's vacant, colored like a dead person, and drooling, sans noticable injuries. sorry to ruin you necropheliac fun, but not everyone dies good and bloody, like those ****e games suggest.

Svengoolie
17-Apr-2006, 05:32 PM
The RE franchise dissed GAR, p...

For some fans, that alone is enough to blast it.:D

EvilNed
17-Apr-2006, 06:21 PM
My problem with the RE zombies is that they all act "vacant" (as you put it). Do they think it's convincing? Does a person wanting to sink their teeth into your flesh act vacant, drop their head and stare at you with a glare that could a bore Chuck Norris to tears? I doubt it. Add that: The growling and the fact that most zombies just have pale make up thrown on them. Scary? Definetly not. Good acting? Depends on how you want to view good acting in this situation, considering it's zombies and everything, but if you ask me it's not good acting. It's horrible acting.

As for RE dissing GAR, I didn't know about that. I never saw the second one.

p2501
17-Apr-2006, 06:28 PM
My problem with the RE zombies is that they all act "vacant" (as you put it). Do they think it's convincing? Does a person wanting to sink their teeth into your flesh act vacant, drop their head and stare at you with a glare that could a bore Chuck Norris to tears? I doubt it. Add that: The growling and the fact that most zombies just have pale make up thrown on them. Scary? Definetly not. Good acting? Depends on how you want to view good acting in this situation, considering it's zombies and everything, but if you ask me it's not good acting. It's horrible acting.

As for RE dissing GAR, I didn't know about that. I never saw the second one.

well if you can provide me an actual zombie as a basis for contention then i'll give you the point. the bottom line is at best this is all dorkish conjecture.

to that end given the limited motor skills of the zombies within the film. i'll venture a safe guess and say their neurological systems were also impared either by the mode of their demise or the manner in which they were re-activated. hence the "staring and the drooling".

the zombie with RE1, are played like functional yet slightly motivated catatonics. . given their level of functional retardation it also goes to explain in a small part the reasoning on why you see a lack of feeding.

as for the acting, there is only so much you can do with the role of a zombie before it gets to be too much and you get the black guy from Land of the dead.

as for RE dissing GAR. who cares?

Wooley
17-Apr-2006, 09:55 PM
Umm, that scene WAS in the movie, RE2, did you miss that or something? :D

I did see it and it was one of my favorite parts. But I wanted more. And they didn't have the Umbrella mercs fast roping in and fighting zombies like the intro movie did.

EvilNed
17-Apr-2006, 11:27 PM
well if you can provide me an actual zombie as a basis for contention then i'll give you the point. the bottom line is at best this is all dorkish conjecture.

First zombie you ever see was also the worst zombie I ever saw. And then hell followed...

Craig
18-Apr-2006, 06:51 AM
I know you're gonna hate me for this, and I'm not saying I love or even like the the RE movie in itself but the first time I saw it it seemed to me that it had this weird, claustrophobic atmosphere to it... One that I liked.

It's all since lost that since I first watched it though.

Rottedfreak
18-Apr-2006, 04:33 PM
Capcom dissed GAR not RE, I'm sure Shinji Mikami (creator) would have welcomed GARs script and ideas, he said himself he used Night of the Living Dead as a basis as it's one of his all time favourite films.