PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about Dr. Logan.

LoneCrusader
24-May-2006, 01:32 AM
In Day of the Dead, the dude shot Logan all across the mid-section, but he never rose. No head-shots, and he stayed down?

creepntom
24-May-2006, 03:37 AM
dude, you're not supposed to notice that :p

Guru ofthe Dead
24-May-2006, 05:28 AM
I noticed that as well. Now I remember somewhere that someone said that Logan was shot in the head. That person need to watch the movie again. Personally I wished that Bub would have infected Logan and the two went on a rampage with the other dead and killed everybody. Sorry I usually side with the dead in GAR's movies because the living get stupid and screw it all up as usual and they need to be taught a lesson in respect for the dead.:elol: :cool:

Andy
24-May-2006, 11:18 AM
personally, i thought this was to point out that by the time day was happening, the radiation had reduced to a lower level so that no more fresh zombies would rise.

of course i could be wrong..

Adrenochrome
24-May-2006, 11:35 AM
personally, i thought this was to point out that by the time day was happening, the radiation had reduced to a lower level so that no more fresh zombies would rise.

Ya, the old fart that hung himself in Land snapped back ro life and bit his son.
About Logan....it's also possible that he hadn't turned yet.

Andy
24-May-2006, 11:55 AM
yeh but land is utter ****e and at the time day was written, romero was adament he wasn't going to make a fourth dead film.

axlish
24-May-2006, 02:42 PM

The radiation reduction was addressed in George's original Day script. At the end, someone dies and doesn't revive. Judging by the final product, I doubt that Romero intended to set that precedent.

As for Logan not rising, I am guessing that a headshot was mixed in whether a squibb was set or not (which it wasn't). The same thing happened to Miquel in Dawn. No head squibb, but he died anyway. I doubt Romero envisioned the level of geekdom that would surround this franchise.

As for calling Land s_hite in the wake of Day, I'd say they are both equally deplorable, but at least Land is entertaining.

LoneCrusader
24-May-2006, 09:38 PM
the radiation reduction could be a good explanation. because in land of the dead, the "old fart" that hung himself and rose because the radiation was strongest in philedalphia.

Philly_SWAT
24-May-2006, 09:56 PM
A good possibility is that you are supposed to assume he was hit in the head, even though we did not see it. But lets forget that for a second. It really looks like he was not hit in the head, and also that he did not rise. There is a good explanation for this, but first...
The fact that in the original Day script someone did not rise because the plague was over must be ignored. We are dealing with the movies that were made, not movies that were not made. If you want to say that, then that lends credibility to my assertion that Land happend before Day.
But the explanation is this...we do not know for sure that Logan is dead, and/or that he died right away. Many times when someone gets shot, they live for a few minutes afterward, maybe longer, if the bleeding is slow and no major organs were shot. When Bub saw Logan, he may have still been alive (although bound to be dead soon), or Logan's last breath may have just left his body right before Bub came in. Or seeing as they were in a freezer, the ultra-cold conditions may have slowed down the death and/or the revivication process. Any of these ideas is plausible and believable.

Andy
25-May-2006, 01:15 AM
seeing as he was shot point blank with a machine gun. do you think chances are good that none of his major organs were damaged or he bled slowly?

Svengoolie
25-May-2006, 05:14 AM
I'd say that Logan's lack of zombie-ness is probably due more to GAR's lack of talent as a screenwriter more than anything else.:rolleyes:

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 05:15 AM
I'd say that Logan's lack of zombie-ness is probably due more to GAR's lack of talent as a screenwriter more than anything else.:rolleyes:
But, you're an idiot, so your opinion doesn't count.
go play with them thar Bad News Bears!

Guru ofthe Dead
25-May-2006, 05:17 AM
Dude!!!!:rockbrow: Good I see why he has no rep.

jdog
25-May-2006, 05:24 AM
i think that logan did turn, but like it says in the other movies that some peaple come back quicker then others and really it wasnt that long after logan was shot that bub found him . so maybe logan just hadnt turned yet.

with comments like that you should be run off this site. romero is a great screenwriter and obviously you havnt realized that yet because you are always bashing him. this site is for fans not for haters so lay off the romero bashing!!!

Guru ofthe Dead
25-May-2006, 05:40 AM
jdog you are going on my buddy list. I guess we could campaign to get him off the site untill he learns that GAR has influenced more directors and screenwriters than obviously what he thinks.:D

MinionZombie
25-May-2006, 11:11 AM
Also - Logan was in the freezer at the time, perhaps being stuck in a freezer slows things down a bit *taps nose, points finger* ahhhhhh. :D

Plus it could just be artistic license - you couldn't have Day without poor Bub discovering his once alive, now dead friend, master and 'father'. As for the squib idea, I know I wouldn't be too keen on putting an exploding device on the head of an older bloke ... although he was riddled with squibs on his torso, but that's nowhere near as potentially dangerous with padding and so forth.

I'll go for "the freezer slowed reanimation / artistic license / GAR isn't as much of a perfectionist geek like we all are" path. :cool:

Hawkboy
25-May-2006, 05:46 PM
I think his bad acting caused the zombie magic not to work because he couldn't "pull it off".

FleshMask
26-May-2006, 08:14 PM
Logan seemed too "homebodied" to actually get up and move...

Just like G4TV fans...!

kar98k
27-May-2006, 07:55 AM
yeah im gonna go with the 'some people reanimate faster than others' theory. also, minions got a point about the artistic license. day wouldnt be day without bub finding Logan dead. besides, day was probably the worst of the dead quadrology so, why not just cut him some slack on that one

Eyebiter
27-May-2006, 09:35 PM
In the Romero universe not everyone revives as a zombie right away. The amount of time to rise could depend on the amount of exposure to the zombie virus. A corpse that dies by gunshot or natural causes might take hours to revive, while someone torn to pieces by zombies might rise in a matter of minutes.

Assuming Logan became an undead, with that many shots to the torso there is a good chance the spinal cord would have been damaged. Perhaps Dr. Logan would have reanimated as a crawling zombie.

Philly_SWAT
27-May-2006, 09:59 PM
In the Romero universe not everyone revives as a zombie right away. The amount of time to rise could depend on the amount of exposure to the zombie virus. A corpse that dies by gunshot or natural causes might take hours to revive, while someone torn to pieces by zombies might rise in a matter of minutes.

Assuming Logan became an undead, with that many shots to the torso there is a good chance the spinal cord would have been damaged. Perhaps Dr. Logan would have reanimated as a crawling zombie.
All very good points.

MinionZombie
27-May-2006, 10:14 PM
Zactly, he was shot down and never bitten. He was lying in a freezer - which would surely further slow things down - and the virus itself is beginning to lose some power ... and throw in a dash of artistic license and we have an answer folks! :cool:

general tbag
27-May-2006, 11:07 PM
just look at the little girl in night of the living dead, how many hours did it take for her to turn after bitten...

probaly the longest person to turn from a bite in the whole series.

btw gar has influenced on alot of people. it even more apparent in land as dennis hopper and john leguizamo acting in it. it wasnt a big budget film, but known actors join a low to mid budget flick just to work with the dude shows alot.

BUTCHYPIE
27-May-2006, 11:32 PM
Interesting note: the Wikipedia entry for 'Day of the Dead' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead_(film)) says the following under film trivia:

The only film in Romero's dead series which does not show a person being bitten by a zombie and returning as a zombie themselves.

Fanboys, I can't remember; is this true?

general tbag
27-May-2006, 11:38 PM
well there was a bite, but they hacked his arm off.

roger_19
27-May-2006, 11:41 PM
funny. in the second commentary form the day of the dead dvd with that other director. He says that he had a dream where Logan returns as a zombie and he sees bub and they recognize each other and they walk away. that would have been cool.

Danny
28-May-2006, 12:38 AM

maybe it is radiation that does it and he was just to far underground.

Lord_Galvatron
28-May-2006, 07:57 AM
On the DVIMAX edition of DAY if you listen to Roger Avery's fan comentary track, Mr Avery talks about if it would be cool if Dr. Logan came back. It is a nice track to listen from the perspective of the fan.

Who know, maybe Logan came back. But then again, he may not and his body (still fresh) was found by the dead and munched on. The same would have happened to Fisher's body.

Who knows.

It'll be one of the greatest misteries of fudge. Just like the running zombie kids on Dawn. lol

Philly_SWAT
28-May-2006, 06:11 PM
Fisher was shot in the head, so I doubt he came back.

Lord_Galvatron
29-May-2006, 07:32 AM
Fisher was shot in the head, so I doubt he came back.

Sorry, I was referring to Fisher's body being eaten, not Fisher becoming a zombie. I apologize, I wasn't clear enough! :)

FleshMask
30-May-2006, 11:38 PM
funny. in the second commentary form the day of the dead dvd with that other director. He says that he had a dream where Logan returns as a zombie and he sees bub and they recognize each other and they walk away. that would have been cool.

*sniffle*

That's sweet...

I think.

Eyebiter
31-May-2006, 01:15 AM
Interesting note: the Wikipedia entry for 'Day of the Dead' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead_(film)) says the following under film trivia:

The only film in Romero's dead series which does not show a person being bitten by a zombie and returning as a zombie themselves.

Fanboys, I can't remember; is this true?

Recall the troops attacked by zombies at the corral? Pvt. Johnson died during the encounter. His reanimated severed head was later found by Sarah and McDermott in Dr. Logan's lab.

http://www.brian-oshaughnessy.com/living-dead/j.html

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:NhTdLMljro2P1M:www.diabolical-dominion.com/Reviews/Dotd(1985)/Image03.jpg

Solhusky
07-Jun-2006, 04:32 AM
They were also in an underground, probably bomb-and-everything-proof military base. Perhaps the radiation had not penetrated the base.

Tullaryx
07-Jun-2006, 03:55 PM
Sorry, I was referring to Fisher's body being eaten, not Fisher becoming a zombie. I apologize, I wasn't clear enough! :)

I may have been seeing things, but I think Fisher's body was being eaten when they cut into a shot of the limestone cave zombies moving through the open gate.

Sound very brokeback that scene if they ever did make it. :)

LoneCrusader
11-Jun-2006, 12:28 AM
radiation proof? this was the 80's...i doubt they had advanced so much in technology then. and you can't just get rid of radiation. once it gets to earth, it isn't moving. and GAR doesn't want us to think it is radiation causing the rising dead. he just explains it as "something going terribly wrong".

sorry to keep this thread going for weeks :)