PDA

View Full Version : The Original DAWN had running Zombies

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2006, 11:03 AM
I was surfing through IMDB.COM and reading the trivia section for DAWN of the DEAD. I like reading these little tidbits, it helps passtime on a slow and boring day. Anyway, as I was scrolling through I read somethng about running zombies and almost said bullsh*t when I read it, but I remembered there is running zombies.

Here is the excerpt

"The two zombie children who attack Peter in the airport chart house are played by Donna Savini and Mike Savini, the real-life niece and nephew of Tom Savini. Incidently, these are the only zombies in all of Romero's "Dead" films that spontaneously run and never do the trademark "Zombie shuffle"."

Sir James Forbes
24-May-2006, 11:09 AM
Whoah! Never thought about that my man. Is this Romero's only zombie anomaly?

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2006, 11:23 AM
I guess so. I don't know. I would assume his line of thinking would be that the kids would be a little more 'Mobile' than say a full grown adult. However, you never know.

bassman
24-May-2006, 11:53 AM
Is this an attempt to defend the remake?:p

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2006, 12:08 PM
Nope,

just something I noticed. However, we could use it as a defense now.

Thanks for bringing it up. You get some rep. :D

My whole argument has tons of merit now! :moon:

Adrenochrome
24-May-2006, 12:11 PM
Nope,

just something I noticed. However, we could use it as a defense now.

Thanks for bringing it up. You get some rep. :D

My whole argument has tons of merit now! :moon:
Hell, the first zombie (ghoul) we see in Night of the Living Dead is a "runner". But, only a "Zombie runner" not the rediculous "track runner" zombies that Hack Snide-Her had in his piece of Yawn.

bassman
24-May-2006, 12:41 PM
Hell, the first zombie (ghoul) we see in Night of the Living Dead is a "runner". But, only a "Zombie runner" not the rediculous "track runner" zombies that Hack Snide-Her had in his piece of Yawn.

Adreno has a point, here. The zombies mentioned from Romero's films could move alittle faster than others, but they weren't jumping from the bottom of a stairwell to a rail that's about 10 feet above them:rolleyes: . They also were'nt screaming like Raptors from Speilberg's "Jurassic Park".:p

Adrenochrome
24-May-2006, 12:43 PM
Adreno has a point, here. The zombies mentioned from Romero's films could move alittle faster than others, but they weren't jumping from the bottom of a stairwell to a rail that's about 10 feet above them:rolleyes: . They also were'nt screaming like Raptors from Speilberg's "Jurassic Park".:p
Oh my, I'd forgotten about the silly Spielburg-like roar!

MaximusIncredulous
24-May-2006, 12:49 PM

It's good to see Dawn '04 get kicked in the balls for running zombies. When it came out people were defending this with "oh when you're dead you are stronger and can run faster and jump higher". They sounded like they were talking about the Six Million Dollar Man.

Griff
24-May-2006, 12:50 PM
Romero's zombies certainly lunge, lurch and lumber but they have never run faster than to be expected.

We can kid ourselves all we want but the zombs in DAWN04 were agile for one reason and one reason only: because 28 DAYS LATER made money.

bassman
24-May-2006, 12:59 PM
It's good to see Dawn '04 get kicked in the balls for running zombies. When it came out people were defending this with "oh when you're dead you are stronger and can run faster and jump higher". They sounded like they were talking about the Six Million Dollar Man.

I definitely wasn't one of those people. I've said the same thing since I first saw it in theaters: It's a popcorn flick that's good for occasional viewing but has no lasting power.

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2006, 01:12 PM
Romero's zombies certainly lunge, lurch and lumber but they have never run faster than to be expected.

We can kid ourselves all we want but the zombs in DAWN04 were agile for one reason and one reason only: because 28 DAYS LATER made money.

That and people felt running zombies would be scarier. I think they are, and I have no issue with running zombies. It makes it more suspenseful in the grand scheme knowing you have to run faster to get to safety. I don't disagree with the above statement, but none of us really know the reason other than the film crew so for us to even speculate or think we know then we are just blowing smoke out our asses.

axlish
24-May-2006, 02:30 PM
The original Night of the Livng Dead featured running zombies as well. If you look closely in the wide shot when Ben is running back to the house with the torch, one or two of the zombies are damn near sprinting.

DjfunkmasterG
24-May-2006, 03:08 PM
Now I am going to have to watch NOTLD again. This is the original correct? Or is it the remake? I am curious I have to say.

MikePizzoff
24-May-2006, 03:17 PM
I guess so. I don't know. I would assume his line of thinking would be that the kids would be a little more 'Mobile' than say a full grown adult. However, you never know.

I just think it's the way the kids acted. There's another kid zombie in the film, he's in the mall in a few shots, but he isn't running.

axlish
24-May-2006, 03:40 PM
Now I am going to have to watch NOTLD again. This is the original correct? Or is it the remake? I am curious I have to say.

The original, yes.

Griff
24-May-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't disagree with the above statement, but none of us really know the reason other than the film crew so for us to even speculate or think we know then we are just blowing smoke out our asses.

Well, the director of DAWN04 was overheard instructing the zombie extras to behave specifically like the infected from 28 DAYS LATER by an associate of mine. And as much as I'd like to give the pioneering film crew behind the remake the benefit of the doubt - that'd just be blowing smoke out of my ass. The production ran simply too close to 28 DAYS' successful theatrical run to be mere coincidence. I mean, does the DAWN04 script mention 'running zombies'?

Once again, let's not kid ourselves.

Adrenochrome
24-May-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, the director of DAWN04 was overheard instructing the zombie extras to behave specifically like the infected from 28 DAYS LATER by an associate of mine. And as much as I'd like to give the pioneering film crew behind the remake the benefit of the doubt - that'd just be blowing smoke out of my ass. The production ran simply too close to 28 DAYS' successful theatrical run to be mere coincidence. I mean, does the DAWN04 script mention 'running zombies'?

Once again, let's not kid ourselves.
I overheard Hack Snyder saying, "Hey, I'm going to royaly f*ck up a good thing!"

Deadman_Deluxe
25-May-2006, 12:57 AM
Two untrained (and probably unpaid) child actors, who in all likelyhood had ZERO idea of what a GAR zombie actually is, then proceed to "run" a distance of what ... one metre? Big deal!

:skull:

They were also found in the only building containing candy ... does this mean that they were also "evolving" and/or "thinking/remembering"?

erisi236
25-May-2006, 03:58 AM
Two untrained (and probably unpaid) child actors, who in all likelyhood had ZERO idea of what a GAR zombie actually is, then proceed to "run" a distance of what ... one metre? Big deal!

They were also found in the only building containing candy ... does this mean that they were also "evolving" and/or "thinking/remembering"?

speaking of that candy, I wonder why Peter and the gang didn't smash that machine and grab some :)

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 04:00 AM
speaking of that candy, I wonder why Peter and the gang didn't smash that machine and grab some :)
Dude, that Lazy Town chick is giving me flashbacks!!!!

erisi236
25-May-2006, 04:08 AM
Dude, that Lazy Town chick is giving me flashbacks!!!!

good ones I hope :p

and yeah, watching night of the living dead, that cemetary zombie hauls ass compaired to your normal GAR zombie, check it out when he's grabing the brick to smash the window, man that whole scene is pretty fast paced

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 04:14 AM
and yeah, watching night of the living dead, that cemetary zombie hauls ass compaired to your normal GAR zombie, check it out when he's grabing the brick to smash the window, man that whole scene is pretty fast paced
Hell yes!!! AND, it's a zombie using a tool - so, that blows the whole "zombies are dumb f*cks" RIGHT out of the water!

damn......she's making me see colors that I never knew existed!!!! Damned the cutie! Damn her!!!!!

*swallows a gallon of pure Adrenochrome.........slobbers........rolls on the floor.......oh my!!

ipotts85
25-May-2006, 04:15 AM
remember what dr. millard rousche said in dawn : even animals adopt tools in that basic a fashion...

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 04:18 AM
remember what dr. millard rousche said in dawn : even animals adopt tools in that basic a fashion...
Yes. A PERFECT example. Right on, man!

livingdead7
25-May-2006, 04:19 AM

My sentiments exactly. These were obviously children with no knowledge of what a Romero zombie is supposed to move/act like. This, and any other instance of a running zombie in any GAR film is still totally different than the Dawn04 remake. These werent minutes dead bodies running around, nor were they running like they were dead. They ran like they should be on the olympic track team. Zombies running a 4.2 40 yard dash aren't scary in the least. They are laughable at best, and just don't fit the movies. They were good in 28 days later...but they werent dead, nor technically zombies either. The fact is, a zombie could sort of run at a medium pace, stumbling here and there...but only for a short time. Rigormortis would make it impossible for the body to move.

Guru ofthe Dead
25-May-2006, 05:06 AM
To defend GAR's dead think about the fact that most of dead the are just beginning to return and "riga" has'nt set in yet. As far as the kids, they were just acting that way and it was great for the movie because Peter was completely shocked at what was happening.:cool:

kar98k
25-May-2006, 06:07 AM
idk bout running zombies. makes zombies seem scarier to me, i mean, if the world was over run by the undead, would you want them outrunning you all the time, or picking off the f**kers from a distance.

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 10:48 AM

Maybe George couldn't afford to buy a new candy machine. :D

When you're under tight budget constraints, little things like that can be overlooked in the grand scheme of things.

My sentiments exactly. These were obviously children with no knowledge of what a Romero zombie is supposed to move/act like. This, and any other instance of a running zombie in any GAR film is still totally different than the Dawn04 remake. These werent minutes dead bodies running around, nor were they running like they were dead. They ran like they should be on the olympic track team. Zombies running a 4.2 40 yard dash aren't scary in the least. They are laughable at best, and just don't fit the movies. They were good in 28 days later...but they werent dead, nor technically zombies either. The fact is, a zombie could sort of run at a medium pace, stumbling here and there...but only for a short time. Rigormortis would make it impossible for the body to move.

Ok, then put yourself in this situation. A zombie apocalypse has happened and you are on the run from a DAWN 04 zombie. Would you stop to laugh because they run? Would you think they were laughable when they are two steps behind you waiting to take a bite out of your ass? Everyone who complains about DAWN 04 zombies only thinks about it from a movie logic point of view when movies are supposed to offer you an alternate reality. So I doubt they would be very laughable if it was real. Would you be laughing?

I don't think so.

As for the untrained kids/actors. Sorry, but that why there is a director and he is in control of the show. Using that logic doesn't work. I had some kids on my set for Deadlands and if they take was blown, or not how I conceived it, ya know what i did... I shot another take. Working with kids isn't easy, but they are people too and can be given direction.

So, now I have concluded he wanted them to run. :elol:

MinionZombie
25-May-2006, 10:55 AM
My take on that is they're kids, and kids don't take direction that well. :D

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 11:16 AM
My take on that is they're kids, and kids don't take direction that well. :D

Not true. Those kids were at least 8 years old and I have worked with younger and the same age and they do ok. Anything less than 5 is a waste.

MinionZombie
25-May-2006, 02:29 PM
Just because they're 8 doesn't mean they're easy to work with. Anybody younger than 15 is a pain in the ass. :D But some kids take direction really well, while others are set on their own agenda. I've recently found that on a project I've been working on for BBC Local TV recently, with kids of various ages, from scamps to almost-adults.

axlish
25-May-2006, 02:40 PM

DJ beat me to the punch responding to this, but there is no doubt in my mind that George told those kids to run out of that doorway, and then run towards Ken. Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to get the drop on him.

Has anyone gone back and validated my claim that there were running zombies in the original NOTLD?

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 03:21 PM
Has anyone gone back and validated my claim that there were running zombies in the original NOTLD?
I did. The first ghoul you see is a runner.

MinionZombie
25-May-2006, 03:45 PM
There's a swift patter and then there's full blown running. The kids were moving swiftly, kids can run a damn sight faster than that. Running zombies are Yawn04 style going for gold sprinters. If anything those kids are "jogging zombies". :D

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 04:06 PM
There's a swift patter and then there's full blown running. The kids were moving swiftly, kids can run a damn sight faster than that. Running zombies are Yawn04 style going for gold sprinters. If anything those kids are "jogging zombies". :D
The "runners" in Yawn'04 can kiss my hairy white ass.
Yeah, it's hairy.......kiss it you Hack Snyder zombie wanna-bes!!!!!

bitches

....no, wait,.......running zombie bitches!!!

axlish
25-May-2006, 04:09 PM
I did. The first ghoul you see is a runner.

I am referring to this shot that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

The original Night of the Livng Dead featured running zombies as well. If you look closely in the wide shot when Ben is running back to the house with the torch, one or two of the zombies are damn near sprinting.

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 04:11 PM
I am referring to this shot that I mentioned earlier in the thread.
yup. I know.

axlish
25-May-2006, 04:14 PM

Certainly doesn't sound like shamblers :o

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 04:50 PM

They ran. End of story. :D

Run Jog whatever, it isn't shambling or walking. :lol: :moon:

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 04:52 PM
They ran. End of story. :D

Run Jog whatever, it isn't shambling or walking. :lol: :moon:
Here's the deal......Hack Snyder sucks. Period.

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 04:58 PM
Here's the deal......Hack Snyder sucks. Period.

Matter of opinion.

I have respect for the man because he could have made Uwe Boll House of the Dead, instead he turned out something quite enjoyable. It seems the movie going public agreed because it made $60,000,000 in it's theatrical run.

livingdeadboy
25-May-2006, 05:00 PM
Who cares? It's a movie.

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 05:10 PM
Who cares? It's a movie.

It is just my time to razz the people who razz on DAWN 04 because of running zombies. People saying the movie stinks because it changed the zombie mythos from the original in regards to zombie mobility. Originally it started out as a weird trivia fact track that I found on IMDB and thought was incorrect, but when I sat back to think about it... The Trivia fact was right.

It is just a little fun in razzing people. LDB, we all have a go at each other over this and it is just fun. If it bothers you all apologies, but this is a subject everyone wants to take a bite out of from time to time.

bassman
25-May-2006, 05:21 PM
It is just my time to razz the people who razz on DAWN 04 because of running zombies. People saying the movie stinks because it changed the zombie mythos from the original in regards to zombie mobility. Originally it started out as a weird trivia fact track that I found on IMDB and thought was incorrect, but when I sat back to think about it... The Trivia fact was right.

It is just a little fun in razzing people. LDB, we all have a go at each other over this and it is just fun. If it bothers you all apologies, but this is a subject everyone wants to take a bite out of from time to time.

Tell 'em Steve-Dave!

At least I now cut you some slack as far as Dawn04 goes. You're right that it can be entertaining every now and again. It's still garbage compared to Romero's, you have to admit that.

I still check it out every now and again when it's on STARZ or something. Romero's shamblers are still my favorites and the 60 yard dash zombies of "Dawn04" are pretty stupid in my opinion.....but it still makes for a half-way decent popcorn flick. IT could have been alot worse. I just hope that kids these days realize that it's a remake and they give the original a chance.

You seem to like the sprinting zombies alot, DJ. Are there any in "Deadlands"? Speaking of, I'm looking forward to your home movie.;) :p

I'll be purchasing a copy...

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 05:29 PM
You seem to like the sprinting zombies alot, DJ. Are there any in "Deadlands"? Speaking of, I'm looking forward to your home movie.;) :p

I'll be purchasing a copy...

DEADLANDS has running zombies, but not DAWN 04 fast, but still fast. The Mythology is for the first 12 hours after revival they can move pretty fast. (ROTLD FAST) As the 12 hour timeline comes and goes they begin to slow down. So you will see 2 stages of zombie speed.

My concern wasn't so much zombie speed although it plays a big part. I was more concerned with Shock value. Not how gory can I make DEADLANDS, but how violent the feasting scenes could be. I don't use a lot of gore like Romero does, but more like the violence of them getting the food. The attacks are quite violent.

Well since you will be buying a copy you only have 3-4 more months to wait. As of right now the release is still set for Dec 19th 2006, but it looks like I will be done in time for halloween. However, I am not gonna promise an October release.

FleshMask
25-May-2006, 05:37 PM
The Kids kinda half-ran, and half-leap while attacking...

One was thrown on a couch and jumped back on...

I blame this on the hyperactive kid actor's simulating an attack.

It doesn't help that they're sort of smiling as well.

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 05:53 PM
The Kids kinda half-ran, and half-leap while attacking...

One was thrown on a couch and jumped back on...

I blame this on the hyperactive kid actor's simulating an attack.

It doesn't help that they're sort of smiling as well.

They ran. I am sure the director encouraged it. and DAWN 04 had leaping zombies as well. So it seems DAWN 78 and DAWN 04 have a little more in common than we all originally thought. :D

bassman
25-May-2006, 05:54 PM
They ran. I am sure the director encouraged it. and DAWN 04 had leaping zombies as well. So it seems DAWN 78 and DAWN 04 have a little more in common than we all originally thought. :D

:lol: Never going to give up, are ya DJ?

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 06:35 PM
:lol: Never going to give up, are ya DJ?

"Out of the frying pan into the fryer."

It's beyond defending, now it is just for self entertainment. :D

LouCipherr
25-May-2006, 07:19 PM
"Out of the frying pan into the fryer."

It's beyond defending, now it is just for self entertainment. :D

:lol:

Meh, I'm 1/2 and 1/2 in the whole running zombie thing. I never realized the kids in the original Dawn were quick, but it really doesn't matter. To be honest, I think the theory we used with Deadlands is how it would really occur. I mean, you'd be limber at first 'till ya stiffened up - hence, you can move more quickly, albeit not sprinters and high-jumpers like in Dawn04. :D

LC

MinionZombie
25-May-2006, 07:33 PM
The rule of thumb is GAR's zombies are shamblers, but some have more aggression and a swifter speed - like cemetery zombie in Night. Day's zombies can get rather aggressive with their movements, but GAR is a laid back dude from the 60's, so I doubt he's exceptionally fussed about zombie continuity, just concerned with a rule of thumb.

What is with all these threads all of a sudden ripping into the meat of GAR's movies lately? The level of geekery has shot through the roof ... now if you don't mind, I'm going to go and make sure my DVDs are in complete alphabetical order and are all lined up *just so*. :D

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2006, 07:37 PM
The rule of thumb is GAR's zombies are shamblers, but some have more aggression and a swifter speed - like cemetery zombie in Night. Day's zombies can get rather aggressive with their movements, but GAR is a laid back dude from the 60's, so I doubt he's exceptionally fussed about zombie continuity, just concerned with a rule of thumb.

What is with all these threads all of a sudden ripping into the meat of GAR's movies lately? The level of geekery has shot through the roof ... now if you don't mind, I'm going to go and make sure my DVDs are in complete alphabetical order and are all lined up *just so*. :D

Remember DAWN 1978 comes before DAWN 2004, unless you file it by 2 digit year, then the 04 version would come before the original.

Titles starting with "The" do not get filed under the "T" section. :D

bassman
25-May-2006, 07:38 PM

Well, at least the "level of geekery" has produced more threads. This place was practically dead for a while, there...

AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH ALPHABETIZED DVDS!:cool:

MinionZombie
25-May-2006, 07:56 PM
Indeed I have my system, "the" means nothing to me :D

However I have Yawn04 before Dawn-the-Amazing because next up is Day and I don't want "it" sitting in between, ha! I need some new shelves, they're stacked chock full, I've nay space captain!!!

ipotts85
25-May-2006, 11:11 PM
Indeed I have my system, "the" means nothing to me :D

However I have Yawn04 before Dawn-the-Amazing because next up is Day and I don't want "it" sitting in between, ha! I need some new shelves, they're stacked chock full, I've nay space captain!!!

i put my romero movies and evil dead movies before anything else! alphabetizing be damned.

Well, at least the "level of geekery" has produced more threads. This place was practically dead for a while, there...

no doubt. this is the place for romero geeks to gather though, so no shame in that game.

panic
26-May-2006, 05:40 AM
This is true and has been mentioned before on the old HPOTD forums. Most purists attribute this to performance flaws on the part of the zombie extras rather than a creative fault or inconsitency on the part of Romero. Its clear that the overwhelming majority of zombies in the original trilogy are shamblers, just as Romero intended.

axlish
26-May-2006, 02:30 PM
This is true and has been mentioned before on the old HPOTD forums. Most purists attribute this to performance flaws on the part of the zombie extras rather than a creative fault or inconsitency on the part of Romero. Its clear that the overwhelming majority of zombies in the original trilogy are shamblers, just as Romero intended.

I agree. The "runners" in Night of the Living Dead were poor actors. However, it did make it into the final product. He almost certainly instructed the children in Dawn to run though.

Hey, I'm not complaining. Were talking about my two favorite films here. I just think it is fun topic to geek out on.

DjfunkmasterG
26-May-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree. The "runners" in Night of the Living Dead were poor actors. However, it did make it into the final product. He almost certainly instructed the children in Dawn to run though.

Hey, I'm not complaining. Were talking about my two favorite films here. I just think it is fun topic to geek out on.

Any of the first 3 Romero living dead films is an excuse to be geeky. Land, ehhh, However, I pretty much geek out with most zombie films. I don't geek out on Fulci or Mattei's stuff though because I frankly don't find them worthy enough to be in the same line-up as Romeros first 3 dead films.