PDA

View Full Version : The Crazies remake

Danny
05-Oct-2009, 07:29 AM
lEMZwQulT1Q

this looks like a really fun movie, like an american 28 days later, only as it happens, not ,yknow, 28 days after the fact, i liked the original but it hasnt aged too well, this looks surprisingly more competent than i was expecting to be honest.

clanglee
05-Oct-2009, 07:49 AM
Wow. . yeah. . not too shabby. Looks like it takes the basic level of the original cazies and then adds an extra level to the infection. Sort of a all out rage/zombie level. Might be pretty good.

zombie04
05-Oct-2009, 08:36 AM
I'll admit it's been close to a decade since I've seen the original and while I thought it was good, it felt like if wouldn't hold up to time a little further down the road. The trailer has me sold on a viewing...but I was going to see it anyways for a fair opinion regardless.

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2009, 09:58 AM
Someone on AICN saw it and said it was terrible. Not a final cut, but they said it was well shit apparently. If that ends up being the case, I wouldn't be surprised.

Didn't care for "Olyphantastic" (say it sarcastically) slagging off (or dismissing, whatever) the original either.

As for the trailer, yeah yeah, looks alright, but the trailer is very standard. There's standard beats they hit throughout, so I don't get any chills. It feels like standard operating procedure to me in that trailer.

Also, I couldn't help but groan when the music kicked in - it was great in Donnie Darko, and worked very well for the David Fincher Gears of War trailer - but leave it alone now for the sake of fuck!

Also - looks like they'll try and outrun the nuclear explosion in the movie ... if they survive that, I'll groan. GAR's original has that great sense of hopelessness - summed up brilliantly when the doctor gets mistaken for one of the Crazies just as he finds the cure, but the military won't listen to any reason, and his instincts kick in and he fails himself and the entire community.

While the original is very rough, and doesn't hold up well against the likes of superior GAR flicks like his zombie movies, or fare like Martin, Knightriders, Creepshow or Monkey Shines, it is still a good movie with a chilling atmosphere.

I want armies of chem-suited, gas-masked troops sporting guns - that's the defining image from the original, and seeing the relentless onslaught of such faceless figures sweeping through the town in the original made it great.

I'll see this remake, but it looks very standard to me. There's nothing outstanding in that trailer to me, I didn't feel anything while watching it.

Plus, it's only a trailer, there's every chance still that it'll suck the proverbial fat chuddies of faildom.

EvilNed
05-Oct-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm with MZ totally on this one. The trailer makes it out to be like any other "Town gets infected"-movie. Well, the original, production values aside, was way more than that. It was about the quarantine and the government trying to cover it up. This looks to be way more about just avoiding your neighbors because now they're crazy and try to shoot ya.

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm with MZ totally on this one. The trailer makes it out to be like any other "Town gets infected"-movie. Well, the original, production values aside, was way more than that. It was about the quarantine and the government trying to cover it up. This looks to be way more about just avoiding your neighbors because now they're crazy and try to shoot ya.
Also, in the original, it wasn't about fancy make-up to show them being infected with something. Them just behaving oddly and just looking 'crazy in the eyes' was enough, plus their actions and not their look.

Sure they seem to start out normal in this, but then they get all "I Am Legend" and start lurching forward really quickly while screaming a scream the human body is incapable of to scare the viewer by essentially sneaking up behind you unsubtly and going "BOO!"

EvilNed
05-Oct-2009, 01:30 PM
Agreed. That green beard just looks weird.

bassman
05-Oct-2009, 01:41 PM
Honestly....what did you guys expect?:confused:

It looks decent enough to me. I'll check it out.

EvilNed
05-Oct-2009, 01:46 PM
Stop being so positive. You're ruining the mood.

Mike70
05-Oct-2009, 02:37 PM
i like the look of this. i will most defo check this film out. i'm not a big fan or the original, so i am coming at this with completely open eyes and with no reference to or reverence for it.

darth los
05-Oct-2009, 03:52 PM
Also, in the original, it wasn't about fancy make-up to show them being infected with something. Them just behaving oddly and just looking 'crazy in the eyes' was enough, plus their actions and not their look.

Sure they seem to start out normal in this, but then they get all "I Am Legend" and start lurching forward really quickly while screaming a scream the human body is incapable of to scare the viewer by essentially sneaking up behind you unsubtly and going "BOO!"

It seems as if the old way just doesn't do it for today's audiences. Everything, including zombies has to be these supercharged virtually impossible to kill demons.

Don't get me wrong, there's room for that as well but oversaturation in any extreme is never good.

:cool:

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2009, 05:26 PM
Then FUCK today's audiences with the awesome stick. We need to show them the way damnit, stop cow-towing to the sorts of people who think Yawn04 is an original movie, or that Ghey08's ceiling-crawling tits are cool.

*shivers* Ugh...

This trailer also reminds me of the one for Day The Earth Stood Still 2008, for some weird reason. Just the slick look I guess ... duno ... and that remake was CRAP.

DjfunkmasterG
05-Oct-2009, 06:54 PM
AICN shits on everything unless Fincher had something to do with it. That site is a joke.

Trailer looks cool though. I will be in line to check it out.

Danny
05-Oct-2009, 07:07 PM
AICN shits on everything unless Fincher had something to do with it. That site is a joke.

Trailer looks cool though. I will be in line to check it out.

beat me too it, there good for exclusives but side from that quint guy they all seem to gush praise constantly even when they dont like a flick.

capncnut
05-Oct-2009, 07:12 PM
Why do shitty trailers always have to have those shitty BANG noises like a shotgun blast before cutting to black. Lame, shit, unoriginal.

And they are wheeling out Mad World again, eh? Lame, shit, unoriginal.

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2009, 07:31 PM
Why do shitty trailers always have to have those shitty BANG noises like a shotgun blast before cutting to black. Lame, shit, unoriginal.

And they are wheeling out Mad World again, eh? Lame, shit, unoriginal.
Yarp.

DubiousComforts
05-Oct-2009, 07:47 PM
the trailer is very standard. There's standard beats they hit throughout,

Also, I couldn't help but groan when the music kicked in

I want armies of chem-suited, gas-masked troops sporting guns - that's the defining image from the original,
Thanks, this saves me the trouble of having to type exactly what I thought of that trailer.

AcesandEights
06-Oct-2009, 04:12 AM
Fuck it. If i have viewing companionship, I'll give it a look. Trailer didn't seem too bad.

MinionZombie
06-Oct-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks, this saves me the trouble of having to type exactly what I thought of that trailer.
Glad to be of service. ;)

SymphonicX
07-Oct-2009, 07:04 AM
The Crazies wasn't a fucking zombie movie.

Now it is.

MinionZombie
07-Oct-2009, 10:32 AM
The Crazies wasn't a fucking zombie movie.

Now it is.
Yarp.

SymphonicX
07-Oct-2009, 01:36 PM
very annoying.

krakenslayer
07-Oct-2009, 02:03 PM
Cliche trailer (the only things that are missing are the lines "in a world" and "one man"). The movie looks okay. A bit meh. Sort of looks like Romero crossed with M. Night Shamylan.

bassman
07-Oct-2009, 02:38 PM
One thing to remember is that trailers are usually created by a company outside of the production. This is usually why you get trailers for different movies that are very similar.

You can't judge a film by it's trailer. It's not really fair. Yes, they should have a trailer that accurately represents the film, but that's not always the case. Look at the Land trailer. Whether you liked that film or not, it's trailer was very generic and promised things the movie couldn't deliver...

DubiousComforts
07-Oct-2009, 03:41 PM
You can't judge a film by it's trailer.
In the age of entertainment overkill, it's entirely fair to assume that a remake or reboot will lack even the most basic attributes that made the original work noteworthy. The track record of such films speaks for itself.

Romero's Crazies draws its scares from the military quarantine of a small town, as well as the possibility of losing one's sanity; it was never about infected zombie-monsters running amok. The only interesting shot in the trailer to this end is the fingers poking out of the rail car, although it makes little sense to transport possibly infected people outside of a containment area.

MinionZombie
07-Oct-2009, 05:22 PM
In the age of entertainment overkill, it's entirely fair to assume that a remake or reboot will lack even the most basic attributes that made the original work noteworthy. The track record of such films speaks for itself.

Romero's Crazies draws its scares from the military quarantine of a small town, as well as the possibility of losing one's sanity; it was never about infected zombie-monsters running amok. The only interesting shot in the trailer to this end is the fingers poking out of the rail car, although it makes little sense to transport possibly infected people outside of a containment area.
Plus, many of these remakes are taking films completely out of their native context and try to force them into our current day context (as well as modern day movie context), and it just doesn't work.

Bassman - fair enough, but still - all those cliche shots and moments and scenes actually exist in the film, so it's not a particularly far stretch to think that very easily this remake could suck a bucket of poo-stained chuddies.

capncnut
07-Oct-2009, 05:28 PM
this remake could suck a bucket of poo-stained chuddies
ROFL. :lol:

I'd love to know who your English teacher was in school.

bassman
07-Oct-2009, 05:55 PM
Bassman - fair enough, but still - all those cliche shots and moments and scenes actually exist in the film, so it's not a particularly far stretch to think that very easily this remake could suck a bucket of poo-stained chuddies.

Yeah...all I'm saying is give it a chance. You're right that it will more than likely suck, but you never know. I guess I just tend to be a bit more optimistic than most. You know....and actually SEE the film before I rag on it.:p

SymphonicX
07-Oct-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm more up for ragging on it now, and getting in a few weeks/months of good SLATING of this shite...and running the risk of having to eat my words...

than keeping quiet about it and missing out on a whole bunch of WTFs that are blatantly due!

AcesandEights
07-Oct-2009, 06:13 PM
Plus, many of these remakes are taking films completely out of their native context and try to force them into our current day context (as well as modern day movie context), and it just doesn't work.

So true. Take the Red Dawn remake as an example. China may own a shit ton of US interests and we will be more and more at odds with them as time goes on, but I'm not too worried of a Chinese invasion of the U.S. Maybe another cold war with Red China and my kids getting turned phosphorescent from a cold war turned hot, but not an imminent Chinese invasion.

Anyway, I'm still less liable to give remakes as hard a time as many of you, though. Different types of entertainment serving different emotional and intellectual needs, and all that.

Old Ms. Gashington, perhaps?

capncnut
07-Oct-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm more up for ragging on it now, and getting in a few weeks/months of good SLATING of this shite...and running the risk of having to eat my words...
We all run that risk but the chances are we're right about this one. At best it will be like Yawn 04, and that was a steaming pile of cackeroonie.

AcesandEights
07-Oct-2009, 06:17 PM
At best it will be like Yawn 04, and that was a steaming pile of cackeroonie.

I take it that 'cackeroonie' doesn't mean 'goodness' in the manner you're using? :)

capncnut
07-Oct-2009, 06:21 PM
I take it that 'cackeroonie' doesn't mean 'goodness' in the manner you're using? :)
Here you go, mate. :D

Cack:

(slang) faeces (feces); nonsense or rubbish: "what a load of cack" could equally be used to describe someone talking nonsense or as a criticism of something of poor quality.

darth los
07-Oct-2009, 06:22 PM
We all run that risk but the chances are we're right about this one. At best it will be like Yawn 04, and that was a steaming pile of cackeroonie.

Is that to say that at worst it will be like LAnd? :D

Danny
07-Oct-2009, 06:30 PM

than keeping quiet about it and missing out on a whole bunch of WTFs that are blatantly due!

ahh, hating something to save face on the internet i see.:lol:

AcesandEights
07-Oct-2009, 06:33 PM

I see it too...all the time.

SymphonicX
07-Oct-2009, 06:36 PM

hahahaha

You got me.

clanglee
07-Oct-2009, 07:26 PM
Wow, you guys are getting pretty harsh on the movie pretty early. . . but I guess that is our way here. I however, will give the movie a solid chance. Looks good to me so far. I expecially like the little bit they showed where everyone is tied down to hospital gurnies and the crazy starts going at the tied down people with a pitchfork. Creepy that.

Danny
07-Oct-2009, 07:47 PM
hahahaha

You got me.

dude there are well documented cases of me really digging something on here and hating or or vice versa, different strokes dude. different strokes.:)

MinionZombie
08-Oct-2009, 09:57 AM
ROFL. :lol:

Old Ms. Gashington, perhaps?

I had a few in school, one of which commended my leadership skills, another who really enjoyed my "Critters 5" short story in Year 8 (I also did a Critters 6 :D) ... otherwise, their teacherly ways could never contain my way with words! :D

You know....and actually SEE the film before I rag on it.:p

Well same here - however - they've put a trailer out for public consumption, they're trying to get people interested, but equally it can turn people off, such as I - it's out there for consumption and people can have an opinion on it.

Plus, you talk about what you think it might end up being like - say if you were placing a bet. Hence "I bet it'll chow down on a buffet-table full of pee-stained winkies with a side order of butt nuggets". :p

What I'm saying is, even though the trailer company puts it together, those "standard" shots exist in the movie in the first place, and indeed, isn't it the filmmakers/producers/studio who decide which batch of clips get sent to the trailer folk?

*high five* :lol:

You call that a best case scenario? :p

ProfessorChaos
08-Oct-2009, 02:46 PM
i have a confession to make: i've never seen "the crazies"...for shame, i know. really digging what i see in the trailer, though, so i imagine i'm gonna head out and pick up a copy on dvd this weekend before the remake comes along and gives it the "ghey of the dead" treatment.

...as for that new trailer, looks pretty cookie-cutter, very uninspired...could be entertaining in a dawn 04 way, but nothing groundbreaking, maybe worth seeing once.

and boy, am i sick to death of that fucking "mad world" song...and least the gary jules version..it was in donnie darko, the gears of war trailer, and then some emo-vagina used it in a youtube video ripping on that kid who was fucking up those cats. if they used the tears for fears version i'd be happier, since you don't hear that one as much....

krakenslayer
08-Oct-2009, 02:53 PM
another who really enjoyed my "Critters 5" short story in Year 8 (I also did a Critters 6 :D) ... otherwise, their teacherly ways could never contain my way with words! :D

Hopefully, in Critters 5 it was revealed that Counsellor Tetra was NOT, in fact, Ug, and Ug himself returns to redeem himself?

MinionZombie
08-Oct-2009, 05:59 PM
Hopefully, in Critters 5 it was revealed that Counsellor Tetra was NOT, in fact, Ug, and Ug himself returns to redeem himself?
:p

Actually nope, I hadn't seen Critters 4 at that time ... possible not even 2 or 3, but had definitely seen the first. Not sure really, can't remember that part of the plot you mention though (I assume that's from #4?), it's been ages since I've seen any of them.

I was almost gonna buy the box set for a fiver online, but had other ones I wanted first ... plus the discs have NO extras still, I mean wtf?! Not a single special edition among them, not even in the box set!

As for my Critters 5, I can't even remember the plot. It was on earth that's for sure, it was probably a rip-off of the first two movies I'd imagine.

I also wrote a "Screamers 2" (which took place on earth) back in those days as a kid...it was kinda reminiscent of "Death Machine" in a way, actually.

I wonder if I wrote a "Death Machine 2" as well, can't remember ... sounds like the sort of thing I would have written as a kid in those days. :)

AcesandEights
08-Oct-2009, 08:46 PM
Wait a tick...

MZ...you were writing 'name rape' stories in school??? :eek:

Et tu, Minion Zombie? :p :D

MinionZombie
09-Oct-2009, 10:00 AM
Wait a tick...

MZ...you were writing 'name rape' stories in school??? :eek:

Et tu, Minion Zombie? :p :D
Hey man, they're weren't name rape at all. They were my own fan sequels, thank you very much. Fan sequels written at a time when my writing talent was basic, but good for that age. I've still got them all lying around somewhere printed off (I was writing them on a computer that didn't even have Windows 3.1 on it, hehe).

Not especially original content wise, some of them (as in the 'fan sequels'), but none were 'fan remakes' ... so, nyah, ya cheeky bugger. ;):D

I did write other stories that were very indebted to some of my favourite horror flicks at the time, like "Half Past Midnight" was heavily inspired by Friday 13th Part 4, and "The Massacre" was - rather obviously - heavily inspired by The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and "Extra Hours Cost More" was heavily indebted to flicks like Last House on the Left and so on. 'Fan Rip-Offs' if you will. :D

You know what it's like as a creative-minded teenager in their formative movie-viewing years. :)

clanglee
13-Oct-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey man, they're weren't name rape at all. They were my own fan sequels, thank you very much. Fan sequels written at a time when my writing talent was basic, but good for that age. I've still got them all lying around somewhere printed off (I was writing them on a computer that didn't even have Windows 3.1 on it, hehe).

Not especially original content wise, some of them (as in the 'fan sequels'), but none were 'fan remakes' ... so, nyah, ya cheeky bugger. ;):D

I dunno, a new storyline with the same basic plot elements and the same title, just with a new number thrown behind it? Hmmmm. . . sounds a little name rapey to me. . . . . :p

bassman
12-Dec-2009, 02:38 PM
Trailer #2 here. (http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=19762)

cY_NERlqMps&hl=en_US&fs=1&

This one makes it look like they're really playing the "infected/zombies" card. But I do dig the beginning with people just acting weird...

Danny
12-Dec-2009, 03:48 PM
doesnt looks too bad to me, a little iffy but reminds me of 30 days of night which was one of the last horror flicks i genuinely enjoyed so i'll give it a shot.

MinionZombie
12-Dec-2009, 04:22 PM
Ha! Ending on a runaway bonesaw chasing a man ... :p

I'll see it, but the original will still kick this remake's ass - as is usually the case.

Plus, they've completely ruined one of the best things about the original - you could never tell just by looking at someone if they were infected or not. Codename Trixie just turned people nuts, but on the outside they appear perfectly normal - which we see a hint of in that trailer - and yet, they insist on copying 28 Days Later and going all open-mawed, screaming-like-banshees, fucked-up-eyes, veins-all-over-the-place 'zombie' (to MTV morons who don't know the differences).

Sheesh.

I'm not seeing any men in white hazmat suits sporting rifles either - another hugely defining image from the original movie that made it so compelling.

zombiekiller
01-Feb-2010, 02:01 AM
just seen the commerical on t.v. it comes out on feb. 26. ( don't know if any one posted this yet.) looks good.

bassman
01-Feb-2010, 11:52 AM
Search, my friend. Search.;)

capncnut
01-Feb-2010, 12:05 PM
Threads merged.

MinionZombie
01-Feb-2010, 12:20 PM
Why is this in Dead Discussion? The Crazies isn't a zombie movie.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/8227/facepalm2kx3.jpg

:sneaky::D:p;)

I'd move it ... but I'm a lazy fucker. :elol:

Legion2213
12-Feb-2010, 12:09 AM
Jesus, you guys are tough crowd to please. :D

It looks ok to me, I'll check it out, hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as Dawn 04. :p

Original Crazies comes to Blu-Ray in a few weeks as well...:cool:

C5NOTLD
12-Feb-2010, 02:35 AM
Original Crazies comes to Blu-Ray in a few weeks as well...:cool:

I'll have to pick that up as I didn't realize it was being released on Blu.
I'll skip the remake and stick with the original.

Mr.G
12-Feb-2010, 01:01 PM
Being from Iowa originally, I gotta check this flick out to see how hick they make my state!

blind2d
15-Feb-2010, 02:42 AM
Just saw a trailer for this on the big screen (read: movie theatre). Looks okay, but yeah, wish there was less "28 Days" influence... still, might be fun.

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2010, 09:59 AM
Just saw a trailer for this on the big screen (read: movie theatre). Looks okay, but yeah, wish there was less "28 Days" influence... still, might be fun.
Inexplicably, this gets a 4/5 in the latest issue of Total Film, which came in the post today. Haven't read the review yet, but the "In Short" review tag says:

Switching from fight film to holocaust metaphor without ever relinquishing its popcorn flick credentials, this is a vivid portrait of small-town apocalypse that earns its place in the annals of horror remake excellence.

:rockbrow:

I'm not buying it.

blind2d
15-Feb-2010, 11:27 AM
Since I generally have the maturity of a five-year-old, the word "annals" stuck out to me.... *chortle*. I know, I'm pathetic. As far as it being a classic... anything, I doubt that, but... yeah, might not suck completely.

krakenslayer
15-Feb-2010, 11:42 AM
For some reason I'm really just not interested. Somewhere along the line I just stopped caring about this remake.

Legion2213
15-Feb-2010, 03:10 PM
Original "Crazies" BD release details and review...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Crazies-Blu-ray-Review/7931/

Mike70
15-Feb-2010, 03:35 PM
i don't get some of the posts in this thread. it appears that some of you might be worried (scared might be a better word) that this remake might actually be better than the original.

like i said in my post way back on 5 oct, i'm not a fan of the original movie. i am interested in seeing this flick and will be approaching it with an open mind.

bassman
15-Feb-2010, 03:39 PM
will be approaching it with an open mind.

Mike! How dare you come trotting into this thread with level-headed common sense and such? Shame on you. Now jump on the bandwagon and start hating everything!

krakenslayer
15-Feb-2010, 03:52 PM
i don't get some of the posts in this thread. it appears that some of you might be worried (scared might be a better word) that this remake might actually be better than the original.

like i said in my post way back on 5 oct, i'm not a fan of the original movie. i am interested in seeing this flick and will be approaching it with an open mind.

I didn't even like the original all the much. It was good and reasonably entertaining, but certainly not among Romero's best; I'd place it roughly on a par with Land and Diary, or even a little below, and I certainly don't have any serious emotional attachment to it. However, it was the film's offbeat, interesting character that saved it from true mediocrity, and they seem to have missed that beat with the new one, so I'm thinking: what's left?

I'm not really bothered about seeing a Hollywood 28 Days Later rip off starring clean-faced actors with nice teeth. It just doesn't seem to hit my mental G-spot.

Mike70
15-Feb-2010, 03:53 PM
Now jump on the bandwagon and start hating everything!

even kittens and babies?:D

bassman
15-Feb-2010, 03:54 PM
especially kittens and babies.

I expect to see a facepalm or fail image next time you post or else Hellsing's going to cry...

Legion2213
15-Feb-2010, 03:56 PM
I didn't even like the original all the much. It was good and reasonably entertaining, but certainly not among Romero's best; I'd place it roughly on a par with Land and Diary, or even a little below, and I certainly don't have any serious emotional attachment to it. However, it was the film's offbeat, interesting character that saved it from true mediocrity, and they seem to have missed that beat with the new one, so I'm thinking: what's left?

How will you really know until you've actually sat down and watched the entire movie?

I know some remakes can be absolutely dire, but some can actually be pretty damn good.

Mike70
15-Feb-2010, 04:02 PM
especially kittens and babies.

I expect to see a facepalm or fail image next time you post or else Hellsing's going to cry...

i'm not one to disappoint.

http://www.failpix.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/babyfail.jpg

krakenslayer
15-Feb-2010, 04:05 PM
How will you really know until you've actually sat down and watched the entire movie?

I know some remakes can be absolutely dire, but some can actually be pretty damn good.

I know, I know. It's just, these days, I never seem to get around to watching a movie unless I'm totally pumped to see it. I'm not gonna actively avoid this one, it's just, when it comes down to the choice of go-or-not, just don't feel like I'm gonna find it worthwhile to brave the screaming emo-kids at my local multiplex for it.

I'm probably wrong, though. I hold many false opinions, if only I knew which ones they were, I wouldn't hold them. :lol:

Mike70
15-Feb-2010, 04:15 PM
just don't feel like I'm gonna find it worthwhile to brave the screaming emo-kids at my local multiplex for it.

i don't get to the movies much anymore but when i do, i usually take a half day and go on a weekday afternoon. no teens and small crowds= a pleasant viewing experience.

when i saw land it was like 2 pm on a tuesday. there were like 4 other people there and it was getting a private screening of the movie.

by the way, i don't find any movie more enjoyable with a crowd. i detest being in packed theaters for a multitude of reasons. i'm there to see the flick not interact with the audience.

Legion2213
15-Feb-2010, 04:17 PM
I tend not to bother with cinamas at all to be honest, the friggin' proles get on my nerves. :D

I tend to use torrents as a "try before you buy" service for my movie needs. ;)

I honestly don't have any idea if this particular remake will suck donkeys or be fairly decent, but I will give it a chance, I am one of those weirdo's who really enjoyed the "Dawn" remake and "I am Legend"...:o

krakenslayer
15-Feb-2010, 04:18 PM
by the way, i don't find any movie more enjoyable with a crowd. i detest being in packed theaters for a multitude of reasons. i'm there to see the flick not interact with the audience.

For me it depends on the audience. I love going to see horror movies at the Glasgow Film Theatre (it's an art-house type place) because everyone is on the same page. So long as the audience doesn't contain wankers, it's all good.

Mike70
15-Feb-2010, 04:19 PM
I tend not to bother with cinamas at all to be honest, the friggin' proles get on my nerves. :D

mine too man, big time. i've probably been to the movies less than 10 times in the last 6 or 7 years.

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2010, 05:52 PM
I go to the flicks quite often, but I won't be going to see this I'd have thought.

The trailer starts out doing what it should do - then as soon as it becomes a rip off of 28 Days Later, it fucking plummets.

The fucking point in Trixie was that you wouldn't be able to tell if someone was mental because of the fucked up situation you all found yourselves in, or mental because they were infected. This remake comes off waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too blunt - plus they seemingly give away the whole 'big ending' of the fucking movie in the bloody trailer, sheesh.

The original movie was good. Sure it's rough, but it's real down and dirty indie filmmaking. It's got that old school GAR feel, that GAR editing style and pace, and all the stuff with chem-suited, gas-masked, gun-toting army guys is just great.

As for that BR, just a lazy port of the skimpy DVD release that I bought a few years back. It's nice to hear GAR talk about movies from his past (indeed, better than listening to his recent movie commentaries where it just doesn't have the same flavour or fascination as a listener), but damn dude, not even a retrospective documentary - you'd have thought they'd cash-in in a more respectable manner than just simply foisting the exact same package onto BR.

I mean, The Crazies just doesn't make much sense on BR in general. It's like the other day I saw the original Toolbox Murders was on BR now - why?! :confused:

bassman
15-Feb-2010, 05:55 PM
I mean, The Crazies just doesn't make much sense on BR in general.

I thought the same thing about Night, but they're pumping that one out there. The Crazes BR may not have much in the way of features, but speaking as someone that doesn't already have the film on DVD, the BR is a definite purchase for me.

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2010, 05:58 PM
I thought the same thing about Night, but they're pumping that one out there. The Crazes BR may not have much in the way of features, but speaking as someone that doesn't already have the film on DVD, the BR is a definite purchase for me.
Well sure, but well ... you could just get the DVD for cheaper. :D

bassman
15-Feb-2010, 06:03 PM
Well sure, but well ... you could just get the DVD for cheaper. :D

As with a lot of titles these days, BR can be cheaper. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+crazies) :cool:

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2010, 06:07 PM
I see it's also been released on R2 DVD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crazies-DVD-Lane-Carroll/dp/B00009WVYV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1266260756&sr=8-1

But with a new, remake-styled cover...:rolleyes:

And is it me, or is that a British S10 Respirator? (I own one myself) :rockbrow:

bassman
15-Feb-2010, 06:10 PM
At least the gas mask doesn't look like it's frowning or angry with you...

Damn...your link also showed me this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creepshow-2-Disc-Special-DVD/dp/B000UWXM1M/ref=pd_bxgy_d_h__img_c). It's not fair!!!!:( Waaaaaa

MinionZombie
15-Feb-2010, 06:31 PM
At least the gas mask doesn't look like it's frowning or angry with you...

Damn...your link also showed me this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creepshow-2-Disc-Special-DVD/dp/B000UWXM1M/ref=pd_bxgy_d_h__img_c). It's not fair!!!!:( Waaaaaa
But you saw the making of online somewhere didn't you? That's the big thing with that double discer, but aye, a rare case of the UK getting a better disc than the States.

Aye, fair play, the remake's gas mask looks well grumpy. :D

http://deadlydrjay.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/timthumbphp.jpeg

Mind you, that link also brings you this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creepshow-James-Glenn-Dudelson-Clavell/dp/B001B182OI/ref=pd_bxgy_d_h__img_b

:eek::eek::eek:

Debbieangel
19-Feb-2010, 09:20 PM

I agree with you on approaching this movie with an open mind Mike. I am not a real big fan of the first one,don't get me wrong, I like it but, I am not CRAZY over it. lol pardon the pun.
Like I always say I will go see the movie before I make up my own mind on it. I really don't think the recent trailers for it are that bad.
I do want to see it now that I have seen trailers. I like the fact that they look more zombish than the original. I can't wait to see if there is an explaination for that part(them looking zombish) of the movie or if they leave it up to us to figure it out.

blind2d
20-Feb-2010, 05:58 AM
Yep, open mind here too. Let's just hope it isn't too 28.

paranoid101
20-Feb-2010, 01:59 PM
It got 4 out 5 in Total Film magazine.

Review here - http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/the-crazies-2010

Neil
20-Feb-2010, 02:19 PM
It got 4 out 5 in Total Film magazine.

Review here - http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/the-crazies-2010

8/10 here http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=18548

AcesandEights
20-Feb-2010, 02:22 PM
Wow, may just be worth a look-see in the theatres.

ProfessorChaos
20-Feb-2010, 03:31 PM
while i'm a fan of the original (didn't see it till just recently) and hate the large # of remakes coming out these days, i'm cautiously optimistic about this. i'm planning on making a mid-week matinee viewing sometime the week after it comes out.

MinionZombie
20-Feb-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm still not liking this issue of the infected going all '28 Days Later', and being all veiny.

It's just not needed - the original movie proved that - it just seems lazy and cliched to make it so obvious who the infected are in The Crazies (2010).

I will see it at some point, but in the cinema? Hmmm ... duno about that.

wayzim
20-Feb-2010, 05:50 PM
For some reason I'm really just not interested. Somewhere along the line I just stopped caring about this remake.

Same here, it just doesn't seem to impress.

Wayne Z
"this ain't no midnight Horror show or Creature Double Feature, babe. "
DeadFall: Foreshadow.

SRP76
25-Feb-2010, 11:15 PM
Another bump.

I'll take a look at this remake when it comes out on DVD. I just saw the original, because I got curious after reading all the bitching in this thread.

I want to know what you people are smoking. The original sucks. Just the trailer for the remake alone is 10x better than the whole original movie.

Kaos
26-Feb-2010, 12:43 AM
I am watching the blu ray of the original now. I am fan of the original, and will see the 28 Days Later - style remake. The blu ray looks good. Pretty much what it would like to have seen it when it was released (or even better really).

Mr.G
26-Feb-2010, 03:20 AM
It's sitting at 79% fresh on rottentomatoes.com with the consensus thinking " tense, nicely shot, and uncommonly intelligent, The Crazies is the rare horror remake that works."

But Roger Ebert didn't like it....so who knows!

Zombie Snack
26-Feb-2010, 04:26 AM
Gets a pretty descent review in todays paper with 3 out of 4 stars

'Crazies' taps into our fear of infection
Genres: Action, Drama, Horror
Running Time: 101 min
MPAA rating: R (for bloody violence and language)
Release Date: Feb 26, 2010
Tags: There are no tags. By Glenn Whipp, The Associated Press
The Charlotte Observer
Breck Eisner's insane-in-the-membrane update of the George A. Romero cult horror movie "The Crazies" opens with a brief shot of fire, devastation and small-town apocalypse, followed by a title card that takes us back to the same Iowa farm community two days earlier.

We see white-picket fences, clapboard houses and good neighbors, and hear birds warbling and Johnny Cash singing "We'll Meet Again," a song whose title hints at the nature of the alarming events about to transpire. When these Middle American folks do meet again, those pitchforks they're carrying won't be intended for bales of hay.

Romero sandwiched his 1973 "Crazies" in between his more celebrated zombie movies, "Night of the Living Dead" and "Dawn of the Dead," both of which have been remade, too, with varying results.

While "The Crazies" isn't a zombie movie per se, it derives much of its horror from the same fear — the enemy lurks both within and without you. There's a very real chance you might turn into a monster.

Eisner's remake maintains the dynamic of that unease, while Scott Kosar and Ray Wright's screenplay gives the audience a rooting interest by whittling down the political subtext and making the movie more of a survival story.

It helps, too, that Eisner's budget probably exceeds that of all of Romero's movies combined. Eisner puts the money to good use, delivering a beautifully shot film that contains equal measures of style and gore.

We first sense something might not be right in Ogden Marsh when Rory (Mike Hickman) wanders into the middle of the high school baseball field during a game. He's carrying a shotgun and wearing a faraway look in his eyes. The town sheriff (Timothy Olyphant) assumes he's drunk and tries to talk Rory down. He doesn't succeed.

After that, locals begin trickling into the office of the beautiful doctor (Radha Mitchell), complaining of fevers and being tired and not feeling "right." Germs seem to be spreading — and so is the news. Soon, we see Ogden Marsh from satellite, with the words: "Initiate containment protocol." Uh-oh.

Romero made his mark during the Vietnam and post-Vietnam era, and, as he went along, his anti-military broadsides became bolder and more pointed. He split his "Crazies" evenly between the military containment forces and the infected townspeople. Heroes were in short supply.

Eisner narrows the focus to the farm folk, while holding onto the idea of a federal government that will stop at nothing to cover its tracks. Interpret that as you like.

What "The Crazies" really taps into is our pervasive unease over disease, that moment when the person sitting next to you on the subway or airplane or, yes, the movie theater sneezes or breaks into a coughing fit and you realize you're unarmed. Never mind the pitchfork. Just don't leave the hand sanitizer at home.

"The Crazies," an Overture Films release, is rated R for bloody violence and language. Running time: 101 minutes.

Neil
26-Feb-2010, 08:28 AM
Seeing it next Tuesday...

major jay
26-Feb-2010, 09:21 AM
We may finally be getting an excellent apocalyptic type movie. I'm diggin' it!

I'm lovin' this quote.

While "The Crazies" isn't a zombie movie per se, it derives much of its horror from the same fear — the enemy lurks both within and without you. There's a very real chance you might turn into a monster.

MinionZombie
26-Feb-2010, 10:13 AM
Seeing it next Tuesday...
Might see it Sunday ... I do wanna see it, the only thing I'm not liking is these stupid veiny people - what's that all about?

Oh yeah, I saw on Bloody Disgusting that GAR himself gave it a thumbs up.

bassman
26-Feb-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh yeah, I saw on Bloody Disgusting that GAR himself gave it a thumbs up.

Paycheck....

;)

Mr.G
26-Feb-2010, 12:57 PM
I got the wife to agree to see this with me. I used the excuse that it was partially filmed in Iowa where I grew up. I give it 20 minutes until she figures out she has been tricked into seeing another zombie movie. (Yes, I know they aren't technically zeds)

MinionZombie
26-Feb-2010, 05:32 PM
Paycheck....

;)

Does Romero have the rights to the movie to get paid from a remake of it? He's a pretty bad businessman.

I got the wife to agree to see this with me. I used the excuse that it was partially filmed in Iowa where I grew up. I give it 20 minutes until she figures out she has been tricked into seeing another zombie movie. (Yes, I know they aren't technically zeds)

:lol: You're evil ... I like that. :D

bassman
26-Feb-2010, 05:36 PM
He's got Executive Producer credits on this remake. If i'm not mistaken, this will be the first remake that he's "involved" with outside of Night90.

MinionZombie
26-Feb-2010, 05:38 PM
He's got Executive Producer credits on this remake. If i'm not mistaken, this will be the first remake that he's "involved" with outside of Night90.
I wonder to what extent he was involved with it...?

bassman
26-Feb-2010, 05:40 PM
I wonder to what extent he was involved with it...?

If I had to guess, he gave them his blessing as long as he received a check. So with the check in hand.....he's got to say he liked it.:p

ProfessorChaos
26-Feb-2010, 06:19 PM
going to check this out this afternoon...will post a brief review later today.

EDIT: in a nutshell, i was pretty impressed with the film. not too heavy with the CGI effects, good acting, good cinematography. they used a few cheap scare tactics (jump moments), but there also were a few genuinely intense/suspenseful moments. no real surprises, a tad on the predictable side, i would say.

oh, and there's scenes with gas-mask wearing soldiers killing civilians and breaking out the flamethrowers, so that was a nice bonus. at one point a dude was whistling the "battle hymn of the republic", which is a bit of a nod to the original, so you could tell that some of the people behind this film at least watched the first one. oh and there's also a cameo by lynn lowry (the foxy redhead from the original), so that was kinda nifty.

if any romero film could've used a remake, it would have to have been the crazies...while i enjoyed the original, it was pretty low budget, some craptacular acting, and a bit jumbled at times. i liked this updated version just fine. i may even get the dvd when it comes around...no major complaints from my camp, but nothing spectacular or groundbreaking either. a solid effort with no major flaws, so i'd have to give it an 8/10.

Mr.G
28-Feb-2010, 05:55 PM
The remake ended up with 16.5 million for their opening weekend.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Not bad for a 20 million dollar budget.

Neil
28-Feb-2010, 05:58 PM

Let's hope he gets some $$$ from it then!

AcesandEights
28-Feb-2010, 08:03 PM
Nice nutshell review, Prof.! I'll try and rustle up some folks to take a look at the film.

MinionZombie
28-Feb-2010, 08:21 PM
The remake ended up with 16.5 million for their opening weekend.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Not bad for a 20 million dollar budget.
I thought the budget was $12m? That's what IMDb said anyway ... I see Wiki says $20m.

Either way, in adjusted dollars, The Crazies (1973) was made for about $1.3m - so the 2010 remake really has the dough to play with to ramp up the scale.

Although that said, I would have liked more gas-masked soldier action. I'm currently re-watching the original with the Romero/Lustig commentary on, and that first 35 minutes is JAM PACKED with all sorts of stuff.

Indeed the first 40 minutes of the remake is JAM PACKED with stuff, then both versions kinda slow down a bit from there ... but even still, the original has a bunch more action littered throughout ... the remake does feel like it's missing some of that gas-masked soldier action, as it instead pays almost exclusive attention to the main protagonists.

So on one hand with a budget ($12m-$20m) suited to the scale of the plot, we've got far more scale than Romero could have ever achieved in '73 with $1.3m ... but on the other hand, with less stuff featuring marauding soldiers in chem suits and gas masks, there's a bit of scale lost, in a way.

Also, the remake - while it does have a decent amount - does focus less on social commentary than Romero's original, in part linked to the above statement about less marauding soldiers. It does also focus more on action in general, so it's punchier but not quite as clever as Romero's original.

For example, we don't have anything with scientists battling to find a cure, nothing with bumbling bureacrats, nothing with government men farting around in their crisis room etc ... we do get a decent amount of social commentary, more than your average modern day horror flick, especially one trying to suck in MTV dopes as well as everyone else, but yeah - less than Romero's original.

Still, all said and done, the remake gets a thumbsup from me ... and I wasn't pleased upon hearing the news of a remake, but having seen it, it's actually pretty good.

I'll get the DVD when it comes out too - hopefully they'll pimp out a proper 2-disc edition that'll have a good documentary about it all which will also cover Romero's original.

:thumbsup:

ProfessorChaos
28-Feb-2010, 10:24 PM
yeah, mz, i've also just re-watched the original and had some of the same thoughts....the original has WAY more military vs. civilian clashes, which was something i wish the remake had focused on a bit more.

the remake is paced better, i feel, due to the fact that we don't have all the scenes with the government officials, soldiers, and scientists. by sticking to the survivors, i feel the 2010 version is easier to follow and draws you in a bit more and moves along in the plot much better.

i do think that there's going to be a "director's cut" when it comes around to dvd, mainly due to a few dialogue bits and whatnot that were shown in the trailers but didn't make it into the theatrical version....and let's hope that they include a bit more violence and gore that may have been cut out, cuz that's something i felt that was a bit lacking.

but still, it was pretty good overall, better than i expected. heck, i may even drop a few more dollars to see it one more time on the big screen when it gets to the cheap theater here in town.

bd2999
01-Mar-2010, 04:37 AM
This was one of the remakes that I honestly thought could have been better than the original. I loved the original concept and ideas Romero had going in the old film. The atmosphere was fine, but the movie just did not seem to go anywhere to me, it just built up and stopped. So I was pumped to see this.

I was a bit let down though. The movie was not bad, but not good either. The whole satilite thing was sort of strange and there were just inconsistancies with the plot (why ship all those people off to shoot them?) or why did it take them so long if they picked things up on satilite that early along. The movie was not bad, but not the improvement I wanted from the themes in the original.

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2010, 10:18 AM
Prof - aye, hopefully there'll be an Unrated Director's Cut, as yes, it did feel like it would benefit from a longer cut and a few more snippets of juicy gore.

bd2999 - I think the reason for packing everyone up (non-infected) and then shooting & burning them in the cattle trucks, is simply to be organised and get everyone, rather than roaming house to house, which would inspire panic and resistence, and would be a porous way to deal with the populace.

Speaking of which, I thought that bit was really creepy, and a really good addition to the film. In GAR's version the government are generally incompetent, in this version they're generally sinister - likewise, I also liked the bit where the dude who played Aaron the bodyguard in 24 essentially just said "we lost a plane, what do you want me to say?" - so that this whole disaster is the result of a simple fuck up, that's now being dealt with mercilessly.

Legion2213
01-Mar-2010, 11:30 AM
I was already up for buying this on Blu-Ray, but this caught my eye...

"Radha Mitchell"

Fock yes! The Silent Hill siren is always welcome on my TV screen. :D

Edit: Thanks for the reviews guys.

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2010, 06:08 PM
It's also got Danielle Panabaker (sp?) ... although she does practically fuck all in this movie, but some of you might recognise her from the Friday 13th remake.

Radha Mitchell was rather fetching in Silent Hill, wasn't she? ;)

AcesandEights
01-Mar-2010, 06:10 PM
I heard more good word of mouth about this from a co-worker...I needs me a posse. I just don't know if I'll be able to get any of my friends to see this one...and at this time of year (everyone is busy).

ProfessorChaos
01-Mar-2010, 07:05 PM
what's wrong with going solo, aces?

AcesandEights
01-Mar-2010, 07:25 PM
what's wrong with going solo, aces?

Nothing, really. I've gone to the movies on occasion, by myself, for films I really wanted to see or in odd instances when I needed to kill some time, but I do prefer to go with company.

We'll see how it all comes out in the wash this weekend, as that's when I want to check this film out.

darth los
01-Mar-2010, 08:04 PM
Radha Mitchell was rather fetching in Silent Hill, wasn't she? ;)

Wow, someone else thinks that as well? Hell yeah she was fine.

She wasn't half bad in surrogates either.

Danny
01-Mar-2010, 08:27 PM
just seen it and im kinda half and half about it, i think my biggest problem is the one a lot of people had with zombieland when they said "it was a good film, but where were the zombies?" i kinda felt the same here. The starts just builds up the story and never lets up but then just turns into 4 people in the fields for the second half which felt rather slow and weakly written compared to the first half.
Not to say its bad, it isnt, it was pretty scary at times and kept me entertained. But it just needed more actual 'crazies' in it, and there was barely any actual screen time for the soldiers either.
Bear in mind ive not seen the crazies since like 2001 and barely remember it, but this felt like a film that didnt know where to go. They point out repeatedly theres no escape, they say it like 8 times and i think either the writers, or George's original boxed them in and they didnt know what to do with the second half.

Heres how i would have done it. They spend the movie actually in the town, hiding from the soldiers and crazies, killing when they have to and slowly surviving, then they steal a hummer as they are all pulling out and finally at the end reveal they were 'crazies' all along and just seeing everyone as enemies and themselves as normal was part of it.

That said i did like the ending since it wasnt exactly what any of us in the screening predicted, which doesn't happen often so that was a nice way to leave it.

Honestly i can recommend it, but its like dawn '04 ,it starts so big it really sets the bar high so early they cant adequately reach it again. The start reminded me of some hour long tv drama like invasion, the 2nd half seemed like they ran out of money and whent out into remote areas to film and use after effects.

i dunno, maybe it was just the pacing but it felt disjointed, still entertaining enough though.

zombiekiller
02-Mar-2010, 01:11 PM
so, who else seen it? i thought it was pretty good, not great but good. liked how it ended too.

Neil
02-Mar-2010, 08:45 PM
I enjoyed it. The first third/half I thought was the best, with it sagging towards the end.

I must admit as soon as the infected/crazies started roaring like raptors (or godzilla) I turned off a bit... Why the f*** do they keep doing that crap!

MinionZombie
02-Mar-2010, 08:52 PM
I enjoyed it. The first third/half I thought was the best, with it sagging towards the end.

I must admit as soon as the infected/crazies started roaring like raptors (or godzilla) I turned off a bit... Why the f*** do they keep doing that crap!
Yeah, like the original movie too, it all starts very intense, and then slows down for the most part throughout the rest of the running time.

Fortunately there wasn't too much of that raptor-sound crap, not much that was too obvious either, so I was able to ignore any moments - but yeah - why with that stuff? Human vocal chords aren't capable of it - STOP IT.

Danny
02-Mar-2010, 09:27 PM
Fortunately there wasn't too much of that raptor-sound crap, not much that was too obvious either, so I was able to ignore any moments - but yeah - why with that stuff? Human vocal chords aren't capable of it - STOP IT.

human vocal chords are capable of that and worse but it does spoil it i admit, i blame it on the woman in the lab coat in the original resident evil, up till then its zombies groaning, then she looks up, snarls, and hisses. thats the pin point where i think it became acceptable and its been used ever since.

Neil
03-Mar-2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah, like the original movie too, it all starts very intense, and then slows down for the most part throughout the rest of the running time.

The only other thing that bugged me was the intelligence/group mentality shown by some of the Crazies... Either they're mad or not... They started behaving as what best fit the script, instead of following a logical set of rules...

MinionZombie
03-Mar-2010, 12:38 PM
The only other thing that bugged me was the intelligence/group mentality shown by some of the Crazies... Either they're mad or not... They started behaving as what best fit the script, instead of following a logical set of rules...
Wellllll... I duno really. They're not zombies, they're still people - they're just messed up in the head. In other words, they'll have a much stronger mental capacity than an actual zombie, you know?

Neil
03-Mar-2010, 12:59 PM
Wellllll... I duno really. They're not zombies, they're still people - they're just messed up in the head. In other words, they'll have a much stronger mental capacity than an actual zombie, you know?

Yeh, I guess... It just didn't sort of sit right? If they've got the marbles left to not kill each other, why are they so intent on killing everyone else?

MinionZombie
03-Mar-2010, 05:38 PM
Yeh, I guess... It just didn't sort of sit right? If they've got the marbles left to not kill each other, why are they so intent on killing everyone else?
Not so sure about that really - remember the scene with the guy and the pitch fork, he's full blown nuts and he kills a fellow crazy anyway (the dude strapped to a gurney laughing).

Speaking of the three hunters themselves, perhaps there's some kind of recognition with them as a group - we see them all together really wanting to hunt, even though it's off-season, and then we see them again in crazy mode hunting the uninfected down ... I assume they've also been killing crazies too - anyone and everyone really.

Neil
03-Mar-2010, 06:10 PM
Not so sure about that really - remember the scene with the guy and the pitch fork, he's full blown nuts and he kills a fellow crazy anyway (the dude strapped to a gurney laughing).

Speaking of the three hunters themselves, perhaps there's some kind of recognition with them as a group - we see them all together really wanting to hunt, even though it's off-season, and then we see them again in crazy mode hunting the uninfected down ... I assume they've also been killing crazies too - anyone and everyone really.

Yes, I know, it just felt contrived rather than real...

ie: The woman and son knowing to go to the Sherrifs house, and still being able to speak/think clearly. And the hunters being able to use their guns etc, while the principle (you mentioned) seemed very basic intelligence wise... It all just felt a bit random and contrived rather then realistic...

MinionZombie
03-Mar-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah but it's not like the crazies are incapable of doing things though, like even in the original movie, just off the top of my head, a woman very calmly stabs that guy with a knitting needle, and Richard Liberty's character attacks his own daughter.

I think, particularly in Romero's original, that what the crazies end up doing is somehow related to the inner workings of the individuals mind, so they all react differently.

Plus, as in both movies, people with the virus often go in-and-out of the craziness ... although in the remake it seems that once you're all veiny, you're too far gone and you're just all crazy.

But before you go all veiny - why with the veins? *sigh* - you can be okay and then crazy, like the deputy as they walk along that road and encounter the government guy who he then shoots ... a while later he snaps out of it when the Sheriff takes his guns off him, and then he even thinks clearly enough to help them escape by giving himself up as bait.

Of course, that's before the freakin' veins...:p

As for the two that attack them in their home, I'd put it down to what I said before - something in each and every person which is suppressed until the virus removes any mental barriers that stop them seeking revenge, or doing something terrible.

Also, what's with him using his stabbed-hand as a weapon - he'll get the infected blood all inside his hand ... although no doubt that's down to him having a natural immunity. They don't really cover that aspect much in the film as it all rips along at a fair old lick - hopefully these issues will be explored more in an extended cut, as surely there must be an extended version out there.

Neil
03-Mar-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah but it's not like the crazies are incapable of doing things though, like even in the original movie, just off the top of my head, a woman very calmly stabs that guy with a knitting needle, and Richard Liberty's character attacks his own daughter.

I think, particularly in Romero's original, that what the crazies end up doing is somehow related to the inner workings of the individuals mind, so they all react differently.

Plus, as in both movies, people with the virus often go in-and-out of the craziness ... although in the remake it seems that once you're all veiny, you're too far gone and you're just all crazy.

But before you go all veiny - why with the veins? *sigh* - you can be okay and then crazy, like the deputy as they walk along that road and encounter the government guy who he then shoots ... a while later he snaps out of it when the Sheriff takes his guns off him, and then he even thinks clearly enough to help them escape by giving himself up as bait.

Of course, that's before the freakin' veins...:p

As for the two that attack them in their home, I'd put it down to what I said before - something in each and every person which is suppressed until the virus removes any mental barriers that stop them seeking revenge, or doing something terrible.

Also, what's with him using his stabbed-hand as a weapon - he'll get the infected blood all inside his hand ... although no doubt that's down to him having a natural immunity. They don't really cover that aspect much in the film as it all rips along at a fair old lick - hopefully these issues will be explored more in an extended cut, as surely there must be an extended version out there.

Well, it implies they probably were infected, as it shows the next town going down!

thxleo
03-Mar-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm curious to know if it's a prerequisite to have a Johnny Cash song open a Romero remake or what?

Neil
03-Mar-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm curious to know if it's a prerequisite to have a Johnny Cash song open a Romero remake or what?

I liked that :)

DubiousComforts
03-Mar-2010, 08:53 PM
Either way, in adjusted dollars, The Crazies (1973) was made for about $1.3m
This is complete BS because the original budget numbers were either purposely fudged or simply a case of wishful thinking. There is nothing in the original that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

hadrian0117
04-Mar-2010, 01:50 AM
Prof - aye, hopefully there'll be an Unrated Director's Cut, as yes, it did feel like it would benefit from a longer cut and a few more snippets of juicy gore.

bd2999 - I think the reason for packing everyone up (non-infected) and then shooting & burning them in the cattle trucks, is simply to be organised and get everyone, rather than roaming house to house, which would inspire panic and resistence, and would be a porous way to deal with the populace.

Speaking of which, I thought that bit was really creepy, and a really good addition to the film. In GAR's version the government are generally incompetent, in this version they're generally sinister - likewise, I also liked the bit where the dude who played Aaron the bodyguard in 24 essentially just said "we lost a plane, what do you want me to say?" - so that this whole disaster is the result of a simple fuck up, that's now being dealt with mercilessly.

I thought that the military seperated the Crazies from the uninfected because they initially really did plan on evacutating the uninfected, but after the high school was overun decided just to shoot everyone instead. Look at how they treated the Crazies they captured. It appeared that they were running further tests (to indentify uninfected that had fevers for some other reason:confused:). They were also keeping their patients alive and under sedation instead of immediately euthanizing them. Did they plan on treating (or at least using them as test subjects or experimental treatments) or what?

Also we saw people being taken out of the cattle cars (gee I wonder what those are supposed to remind us of :rolleyes:) and put onto buses at the same truckstop. That implies that at least some people were actually evacuted with Cedar Rapids (& a Crazy that slipped through screening would explain how the infection spread). Why did the writers pick Cedar Rapids over Des Moines anyway? Most people have at least heard of Des Moines, I had to google Cedar Rapids to see if it was real.

I liked that they at least made an attempt to explain how this was coverup and addressed the phones & internet being blocked along with cellphones, but unless they plan on killing all the soldiers, medical personel, scientists, & government aides involved too the secret is going to leak out pretty fast.

Danny
04-Mar-2010, 02:10 AM
its because Johnny Cash makes anything better. flash fact.

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2010, 10:10 AM
Who was probably infected? The Sheriff and his wife?

No way dude - don't you remember, the town they're merely walking towards at the end of the film is at the end of their water system - the infected water has been travelling down stream for like a week, and the Sheriff and his wife were all the way at the end of the system in their town, so they hadn't had the infected water yet, but his deputy who was half-way down the system had drunk it recently.

The town they're walking towards is the next target - no doubt having now just received the water (the Sheriff and his wife having not drunk the town's infected water yet, and hadn't drunk any during the 48 or more hours since the chaos began - enough time for the water to reach the town they're walking towards and start to cause trouble.

Danny
04-Mar-2010, 10:17 AM
Who was probably infected? The Sheriff and his wife?

No way dude - don't you remember, the town they're merely walking towards at the end of the film is at the end of their water system - the infected water has been travelling down stream for like a week, and the Sheriff and his wife were all the way at the end of the system in their town, so they hadn't had the infected water yet, but his deputy who was half-way down the system had drunk it recently.

The town they're walking towards is the next target - no doubt having now just received the water (the Sheriff and his wife having not drunk the town's infected water yet, and hadn't drunk any during the 48 or more hours since the chaos began - enough time for the water to reach the town they're walking towards and start to cause trouble.

well he had an open cut from the knife in his hand which, whilst still in his hand he drove the knife into a 'crazies' throat, drowning his wound in trixie infected blood. as for the wife they assumed the temperature was from her pregnancy but maybe she was some carrier?, spread it and had no symptoms, or the pregnancy just delayed the virus' incubation period.

i know the wifes stretching but its pretty much a given the cops infected, and lets face it only one of them really needs to be. but i think its not supposed to be a given, just to show a ruthless military that must kill all survivors regardless.

MinionZombie
04-Mar-2010, 10:43 AM
well he had an open cut from the knife in his hand which, whilst still in his hand he drove the knife into a 'crazies' throat, drowning his wound in trixie infected blood. as for the wife they assumed the temperature was from her pregnancy but maybe she was some carrier?, spread it and had no symptoms, or the pregnancy just delayed the virus' incubation period.

i know the wifes stretching but its pretty much a given the cops infected, and lets face it only one of them really needs to be. but i think its not supposed to be a given, just to show a ruthless military that must kill all survivors regardless.
No, they took the Sheriff's wife initially as her tempterature was up - they didn't know she was pregnant - they assumed she was infected. The whole point being that she isn't because she's running a fever cos she's got an Olyphant-in-the-oven.

As was explicitly mentioned in the original (but not so much in the remake), the male lead has a natural immunity to the virus (although in the original his pregnant wife is infected), and indeed this would be the case.

They never make any mention or reference to him getting infected blood all over his open wound for the rest of the film - if I remember correctly - because if it was going to have some sort of affect, they would have at least hinted at it directly.

I don't see it as a given at all that the Sheriff's infected - indeed "natural immunity" screams loudest for me with that character.

Perhaps this is stuff that'll be expanded upon in a (hopefully) extended cut of the movie on DVD (with more gore too :D)

ProfessorChaos
13-Jul-2010, 09:39 PM
picked up the dvd today. haven't watched it yet, but after skipping a few chapters in and watching a couple scenes, then looking at the included bonus features, it looks like there's no "deleted scenes" or "director's cut"-type shit going on with this release.

a bit disappointed in that, was hoping for a bit more given what was hinted at in the trailers prior to release....for instance, there's a scene in the 2nd theatrical trailer where the sheriff is talking with 2 young girls about sounds they heard coming from the funeral home. this didn't make the theaters and isn't on the dvd, either.

kinda similar to what happens with all movies these days, the trailers hype shit up, then fail to deliver. a recent example is this is below.

trailer image:
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/07/manygunsights.jpg

actual scene from film:
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/07/onegunsight.jpg

here's hoping that they don't turn around and release another dvd in a year or so (around the time they make the inevitable "the crazies 2", i'm guessing) and try to get more $$ from those of us who enjoyed this movie.

bassman
13-Jul-2010, 10:10 PM
It's actually quite common for trailers to feature deleted scenes or alternate takes. Things change throughout the production and sometimes they film scenes for the trailer only. I believe Rodriguez has done it with several of his films in the past. Hell....he's now made an entire movie out of a fake trailer. :lol:

Legion2213
13-Jul-2010, 10:44 PM
its because Johnny Cash makes anything better. flash fact.

This be a true fact. :cool:

Cinerary
20-Jul-2010, 12:45 PM
I saw this the other day. It is raviolis. I was so bored with it I kept getting out of my seat and doing other things during the many down times. Suicide crossed my mind several times during this flick as well.

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 03:31 AM
I saw this the other day. It is raviolis. I was so bored with it I kept getting out of my seat and doing other things during the many down times. Suicide crossed my mind several times during this flick as well.

Dude but then you wouldn't be around for TWD and your soul would wander aimlessly knowing it missed something great. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
10-Sep-2010, 04:50 AM
Dude but then you wouldn't be around for TWD and your soul would wander aimlessly knowing it missed something great. ;)

Dude is off his rocker... The Crazies remake runs circles all over Romero's original. :p

ProfessorChaos
10-Sep-2010, 05:33 AM
i'm actually watching the remake as i type this, and i still enjoy it...shame they didn't have a proper release with missing footage. no class tomorrow, think i'm gonna watch the original after this is over.

MinionZombie
10-Sep-2010, 10:19 AM
Dude is off his rocker... The Crazies remake runs circles all over Romero's original. :p

I wouldn't agree that it's better than the original. I'd say that the original and remake both do things better and worse than their counterpart.

I really enjoyed the remake in the end though. It took me a long time to come around to it, in terms of first hearing about it, then bits of news, images and then trailers ... but I ended up really enjoying it, and the Blu-Ray is on my "to get" list. When I saw it in the cinema I came back home and watched the original, and I dig both flicks for different reasons and I think they compliment each other ultimately.

Aye, I was hoping for an extended version, but evidently that was never going to be the case.

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 03:10 PM
i'm actually watching the remake as i type this, and i still enjoy it...shame they didn't have a proper release with missing footage. no class tomorrow, think i'm gonna watch the original after this is over.

That's like playing left 4 dead 1 after experiencing
L4D 2.

You can feel the downgrade.

ProfessorChaos
10-Sep-2010, 06:43 PM
idk, darth. i agree with mz on this that both the original and the remake are very good films in their own rights. in fact, i may actually prefer the original by a slim margin over the remake. but the remake is a very entertaining film...i just wish they'd had a bit more of the feeling of the original.....NEEDS MOAR FLAMETHROWERZ.

in fact, i'd watch the original over any of romero's new dead films any day of the week. that's not really saying much, though.

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 06:59 PM
idk, darth. i agree with mz on this that both the original and the remake are very good films in their own rights. in fact, i may actually prefer the original by a slim margin over the remake. but the remake is a very entertaining film...i just wish they'd had a bit more of the feeling of the original.....NEEDS MOAR FLAMETHROWERZ.

in fact, i'd watch the original over any of romero's new dead films any day of the week. that's not really saying much, though.

Just meant in terms of effects and acting, but as with pretty much any film that old that's pretty much a given, imo.

bassman
10-Sep-2010, 07:17 PM
Well...any ROMERO film. :p

If often heard people say that the acting in Dawn is bad because it's an older film. Please....Romero just sucks at casting. Alien was released a year after Dawn...

darth los
10-Sep-2010, 07:27 PM
Well...any ROMERO film. :p

If often heard people say that the acting in Dawn is bad because it's an older film. Please....Romero just sucks at casting. Alien was released a year after Dawn...

He normally says that because of the budget constraints he was under he just hires the best actors he knew.

Now That's true horror my friends ! :stunned:

shootemindehead
11-Sep-2010, 01:44 AM
Yep, agree with DJ. The remake is a pretty solid film and blows the original out of the water.

AcesandEights
12-Sep-2010, 02:51 AM
The recent activity in this thread finally prompted me to watch the film and it was pretty good. I felt a few more things could have been added to the mix to make a far better ride, but overall I liked the movie, I think it just needed a bit more paranoia & uncertainty on who is and isn't going crazy from the 'virus'.

MinionZombie
12-Sep-2010, 10:17 AM
The recent activity in this thread finally prompted me to watch the film and it was pretty good. I felt a few more things could have been added to the mix to make a far better ride, but overall I liked the movie, I think it just needed a bit more paranoia & uncertainty on who is and isn't going crazy from the 'virus'.

Yeah, that was one of my "downsides" to the remake - pretty soon they're all veiny and clearly infected, whereas with GAR's original it's totally based on behaviour - and considering it's a fucked up situation to be in, anyone could potentially be infected ... kinda like with The Thing too.

DjfunkmasterG
12-Sep-2010, 07:03 PM
Still prefer the Remake over the original, and considering its true budget was only $12,000,000 they accomplished a lot. To Bassman, using Alien as a counter argument to dawn... big difference in terms of budget. While Budget is a limited excuse... it is a factor in some films. Romero's 500k compared to Alien's $10,000,000 big difference and it allows Alien to be done a bit better, plus have access to casting Romero may have not been able to afford.

Still in the end and back on Topic... The Crazies remake way better than original film... except one flaw is that it needed more Crazies

shootemindehead
13-Sep-2010, 10:35 PM
I thought 'Dawn of the Dead' had a budget of about $2.000.000.

bassman
13-Sep-2010, 11:00 PM
Still prefer the Remake over the original, and considering its true budget was only $12,000,000 they accomplished a lot. To Bassman, using Alien as a counter argument to dawn... big difference in terms of budget. While Budget is a limited excuse... it is a factor in some films. Romero's 500k compared to Alien's $10,000,000 big difference and it allows Alien to be done a bit better, plus have access to casting Romero may have not been able to afford.

Could be. But I've seen many independent films pull some great acting out of the hat. I think casting has never been Romero's forte. He's always seemed to want to hire buddies and cool people rather than the right person for the job. Not that it's wrong of him to do so, but it may have hurt the film in the long run.

AcesandEights
13-Sep-2010, 11:07 PM

Ah, the hazy world of budgetary claims.

MoonSylver
14-Sep-2010, 12:31 AM

IIRC Rubenstein inflated the budget for distribution purposes, not wanting them to kmow how LITTLE they actually made it for. Then again, they did get a LOT of freebies from friends & the community at large that they could get away with being a non-guild/union production, so it's kind of hard to say how much the movie WOULD HAVE COST to make either...

Legion2213
27-Nov-2010, 09:42 PM
Just finished watching this, pretty damn good IMO.

Some say the Crazies being visably affected was a bit off, and I agree, the mystery of the original was not having any idea about who had Trixie and who didn't, but apart from that, it was highly enjoyable.

Gutted when it was obvious that "Deputy Russ" had a bad case of Trixie though, kinda liked the character.

I'm gonna pick it up on BD for Christmas as I can see myself watching it again. All in all, it's a good remake and worthy of a place in my BD collection

Gryphon
30-Mar-2011, 10:36 AM
Just saw this on Netflix and it was pretty cool :) Going to watch the original, tomorrow, on Netflix and compare :)

Heres how i would have done it. They spend the movie actually in the town, hiding from the soldiers and crazies, killing when they have to and slowly surviving, then they steal a hummer as they are all pulling out and finally at the end reveal they were 'crazies' all along and just seeing everyone as enemies and themselves as normal was part of it.

Like "Arrrrgh Zombies!" - only serious :) I did think that was a cool premise, in an otherwise over-silly movie.

Neil
30-Mar-2011, 10:47 AM
Nice twist!

MoonSylver
30-Mar-2011, 11:59 AM
Nice twist!

http://seattletwist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/twist2.gif

AcesandEights
30-Mar-2011, 01:24 PM
Nice twist!

Yeah, I agree.

Still though, the remake was decent. I do agree there weren't enough crazies, but it was fairly well handled for chop shop movie making.

Trin
31-Mar-2011, 02:14 PM
I like The Crazies remake better than the original. I thought the characters were much better portrayed and the whole sense of the virus was handled better. The original was just so poorly acted. The whole thing looked like a home movie or a high school drama project.

I do wonder if I'd feel differently if I'd seen the original back in the day. I hear a lot of people compare the acting and cheesy factor betwee the Crazies and Dawn, thinking the two are similar. I disagree. I think Dawn is decently acted and I feel it is a more polished movie. The Crazies is just bad. However, I freely admit I may have perspective goggles on. I saw Dawn back in the day.

bassman
31-Mar-2011, 02:31 PM
The only thing I missed from The Creazies remake was the daughter lovin' father. How could they leave that out?!? :p

The remake wasn't so bad. Actually quite good in places. But their reliance on jump scares got to be a bit annoying. There must be over twenty in that film...

Trin - I would have to disagree with you about the acting in Dawn. The acting is quite bad in places. It's strange because the acting in Night was okay. It's like he took a step back in that department by the time he got to Dawn. As I've mentioned before, it may be a case of hiring your buddies or people you like rather than the people that are right for the job. On the other hand....Dawn was also the last entry of the trilogy that I was able to see, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Gryphon
01-Apr-2011, 12:15 AM
Well, I've seen them both now, and I find I do like them both, for different reasons.

The original did remind me of Dawn, in that the chaos scenes were very like the opening of Dawn. Plus, the angry scientist was played by the same guy who played the angry scientist in Dawn, heh, sans eye-patch. I wonder if he did any other sort of characters ;) And was cool to see a young "Dr Logan" (his actor anyway) being just as naughty with his own daughter :p as the character he would play later in life was (in a different way, hopefully) with the bodies of the dead solders.

The remake was sort of the "other side of the story." We saw the government's side in the original, now we see everyone else. The 28-Days-Later effect was kinda boring, though. Very overused in general these days, of course. But, overall, the acting was better and the special effects, of course. Though, I did prefer the lack of special makeup in the original to discern the 'crazies' from everyone else. I did feel more sympathy for this version of the Sheriff, wife and Deputy, than I did for the original versions.

All in all, I think it's a toss up, IMO. But, I must say I did get a nostalgic feeling watching the original, reminding me of Dawn, and the "old Romero feeling" I get watching that ;)

ProfessorChaos
01-Apr-2011, 12:31 AM
^

well said, sir. pretty much sums up my feelings on both films. i do wish there was a bit more scenes with the military and civilians battling it out in the remake, but all in all, it was better than i expected. and the original has several faults, but really shines as a great movie in spite of them, in my book.

Tom Price
01-Apr-2011, 03:21 AM
No Richard France anyone who saw or bought it got robbed.

acealive1
02-Apr-2011, 02:11 AM
another "remake" in name only just like dawn. but this one kicked ass!!! better than dawn

darth los
02-Apr-2011, 04:30 AM
Night 90', dawn 04' and the crazies are three remakes of Gar's films that i actually like.

There's Nothing like the originals though.

zomtom
11-Apr-2011, 07:03 AM
I just re-watched the remake last night and I must say it was pretty damned good. I've watched it about three times now and enjoyed it each time. The original had a great premise but the actors needed acting lessons (and please, don't tell me it was Trixie that was making them act that way). And yes; I am aware that GAR's was low-budget.

SymphonicX
01-May-2011, 03:58 PM
The original was unfortunately an early predecessor for Day of the Dead - but with Day of the Dead, we liked those characters enough to enjoy 90 minutes of them shouting at each other.

But in The Crazies, we don't really get that. The characters are pretty strong out on the field but the military and scientists are badly rounded out and need some real flesh to their motives.

The remake however, really doesn't worry about any of that. It wasn't bad whatsoever - some really creepy moments and a great script helped give it some real feeling - something that the original was sadly lacking. Atmosphere is important....Day of the Dead is proof of that...!

So yeah, I'm actually in preference of the remake of this particular movie TBH.

Neil
02-May-2011, 10:01 AM
I just re-watched the remake last night and I must say it was pretty damned good. I've watched it about three times now and enjoyed it each time. The original had a great premise but the actors needed acting lessons (and please, don't tell me it was Trixie that was making them act that way). And yes; I am aware that GAR's was low-budget.

I think I need to rewatch this again.

My memories of it was it was generall OK, and in placed v.good, but just a couple of weaknesses in the scripted prevented it from reaching classic?

Legion2213
03-May-2011, 08:10 PM
The original was unfortunately an early predecessor for Day of the Dead - but with Day of the Dead, we liked those characters enough to enjoy 90 minutes of them shouting at each other.

But in The Crazies, we don't really get that. The characters are pretty strong out on the field but the military and scientists are badly rounded out and need some real flesh to their motives.

The remake however, really doesn't worry about any of that. It wasn't bad whatsoever - some really creepy moments and a great script helped give it some real feeling - something that the original was sadly lacking. Atmosphere is important....Day of the Dead is proof of that...!

So yeah, I'm actually in preference of the remake of this particular movie TBH.

The pitchfork moment was something of supreme horror IMO...it was just so mechanical and liesurely...really good (as in nasty) scene. :)

acealive1
03-May-2011, 09:27 PM
this movie was so scary because there wasnt super CGI all over the place............ also its something that didnt seem far fetched to be able to happen. that was the scary part

Legion2213
03-May-2011, 09:49 PM
No Richard France anyone who saw or bought it got robbed.

Mate, just noticed your name & avatar. Tom Price was a cracking character! :D

Love the original "Survivors" series have 'em all on DVD.

JonOfTheShred
02-Jun-2011, 11:25 PM
This film was way too short, with not enough "infected" action. The original was handled much better, this movie had a lot of potential and they wasted it.

I mean, it'd be a PERFECT time to heavily implement a 'corrupt government / FEMA' type plot-line, what with the recent fascism and police state qualities unfolding in pretty much every country in the world. This movie should have had a WAY HEAVIER amount of asshole police and military gunning down their fellow citizens to cover their own asses. And it wouldn't be too far from the reality of things, sadly enough