PDA

View Full Version : Where does Land of the Dead belong? - Part II

Philly_SWAT
25-May-2006, 03:54 AM
All credit to zombie 04 for starting this line of discussion. Maybe I am the only one who finds it irritating, but once a thread gets too big it is hard for me to follow all the "more replies below current depth" links to get to the new posts.

Anyway, I just watched Land again. I think this is the only 3rd time I have watched it, once in the theatre, once when the DVD first came out, and now. Funny, after watching it this time I cant remember why I didnt like it too much. It actually was very enjoyable. But as far as the timeline goes, everyone keeps saying that Land is "three years" after the outbreak. I saw no reference to that whatsoever. The only thing that I guess makes people say three years is that Cholo says to Kaufman "I've worked for you for 3 years". Wouldnt it be more logical that Cholo worked for Kaufman before the outbreak, and continued his employ after the outbreak? What, a rich powerful guy like Mr. K would not want to deal with anyone who he had dealings with before the outbreak? Seems more likely that he would want to deal with people he already knew and knew he could trust (read: manipulate). Is this why people say three years later, or is there some other time reference that I missed? I cant imagine that all the people outside the Green who were ****ed off about the people inside the Green would still be standing outside bitching 3 years later. As Big Daddy showed, anyone could easily get in the building by simply smaching the glass. And when the guy hangs himself, the wife seemed totally unfamiliar with the idea that he was going to "come back". Three years had passed and she doesnt know this yet??!? I submit that this had to be much less than 3 years into the plague.

Svengoolie
25-May-2006, 05:15 AM
I'd say that Land belongs in the garbage...right along with "Jack's Wife", "The Crazies", and "There's Always Vanilla"....:D

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 05:18 AM
I'd say that Land belongs in the garbage...right along with "Jack's Wife", "The Crazies", and "There's Always Vanilla"....:D
Don't you have a Bad News Bears convention to attend?

Svengoolie
25-May-2006, 05:25 AM
How many times are you going to edit that post?

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 05:27 AM
How many times are you going to edit that post?
How may times are you going to change 'net personas? AuntieBurny?

Svengoolie
25-May-2006, 05:32 AM
How may times are you going to change 'net personas? AuntieBurny?

How many times are you going to attempt to lure me (and 75% of the other unfortunate people you attempt to interact with on this site) into a flame....instead of trying to contribute something--anything worthwhile?

jdog
25-May-2006, 05:34 AM
is that all you can do is talk sh## about romero movies. if you dont like his movies take a hike

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 05:37 AM
How many times are you going to attempt to lure me (and 75% of the other unfortunate people you attempt to interact with on this site) into a flame....instead of trying to contribute something--anything worthwhile?
I lure no-one
maybe you should put in your betamax vid of the "bears" and snort a pill or two.
har dee har har har har.

peace, man.........come on!

Svengoolie
25-May-2006, 05:38 AM
Ditto for you, jdog.

I lure no-one
maybe you should put in your betamax vid of the "bears" and snort a pill or two.
har dee har har har har.

peace, man.........come on!

That...from the founder of Crack House Chat?

In fact, the most detailed post I've ever seen you contribute to this site as a whole was the one dealing with your extensive use of illegal drugs.

Stop trying to interact with me.

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 05:41 AM
Ditto for you, jdog.

In fact, the most detailed post I've ever seen you contribute to this site as a whole was the one dealing with your extensive use of illegal drugs.

wow.....................wow

jdog
25-May-2006, 05:50 AM
Ditto for you, jdog.

i'm not trying to start a flame war. all i want to know is why you keep comeing to this site if you dont like GAR"S MOVIES.

Svengoolie
25-May-2006, 05:51 AM
I like SOME of GAR's movies...but not all of them.

If you actually read my posts you'd know that.

jdog
25-May-2006, 06:06 AM
i read your posts and know that you like some of GAR'S movies. but you are very critical of most of them. even romers worst movie you have to admitt is not really that bad and has entertainment value for a true GAR fan.

Adrenochrome
25-May-2006, 12:24 PM
wow.....................wow
Look, burny, I will interact with whoever I choose.

bassman
25-May-2006, 12:27 PM
i read your posts and know that you like some of GAR'S movies. but you are very critical of most of them. even romers worst movie you have to admitt is not really that bad and has entertainment value for a true GAR fan.

You're right. Romero's worst film is golden compared to films these days....

It really doesn't make sense for someone to come to a website dedicated to a film maker, just to bash that film maker. Someone is clawing for attention.:o

strayrider
25-May-2006, 10:05 PM
All credit to zombie 04 for starting this line of discussion. Maybe I am the only one who finds it irritating, but once a thread gets too big it is hard for me to follow all the "more replies below current depth" links to get to the new posts.

Anyway, I just watched Land again. I think this is the only 3rd time I have watched it, once in the theatre, once when the DVD first came out, and now. Funny, after watching it this time I cant remember why I didnt like it too much. It actually was very enjoyable. But as far as the timeline goes, everyone keeps saying that Land is "three years" after the outbreak. I saw no reference to that whatsoever. The only thing that I guess makes people say three years is that Cholo says to Kaufman "I've worked for you for 3 years". Wouldnt it be more logical that Cholo worked for Kaufman before the outbreak, and continued his employ after the outbreak? What, a rich powerful guy like Mr. K would not want to deal with anyone who he had dealings with before the outbreak? Seems more likely that he would want to deal with people he already knew and knew he could trust (read: manipulate). Is this why people say three years later, or is there some other time reference that I missed? I cant imagine that all the people outside the Green who were ****ed off about the people inside the Green would still be standing outside bitching 3 years later. As Big Daddy showed, anyone could easily get in the building by simply smaching the glass. And when the guy hangs himself, the wife seemed totally unfamiliar with the idea that he was going to "come back". Three years had passed and she doesnt know this yet??!? I submit that this had to be much less than 3 years into the plague.

Back to the actual topic of this thread, if I may. It really doesn't matter if it's been three years (Cholo hooks up with Big K right at the start of the plague) or three weeks, or months, etc (Cholo worked for K before the plague for a period of time and stuck with him through it). Land should still fall between Dawn and Day.

I'd settle for Land beginning right where Dawn ends -- approx 3 months, maybe even six, since the events in Night.

Foster, in Dawn, mentions that "citizens will be moved to central areas of the cities". This is what happened in the 'Burgh (and Cleveland), let's say. The cunning and powerful Mr. Kaufman sets himself up for a "hostile takeover" of the civilian government (probably convincing Cholo to X the mayor, chief of police, etc.) Once these people are out of the way, he "pays off" higher ranking officers from the "specially equipt squads of the national guard" to serve as his private army.

While Peter, Roger, Fran and Stephen are playing out the events in Dawn in a mall miles north of the 'Burgh, Kaufman's forces are busily erecting electric fences, mining bridges, setting up strong points all around the city.

Kaufman has also hired a local mechanical engineer, Riley Denbow, to begin work on a heavily armored semi-truck (Kaufman realizes that supplies in the city won't last long, and forays into the suburbs will eventually have to be undertaken).

Dawn ends. Land begins.

Several months have passed since the dead first walked. Pittsburgh is now an armed camp. The suburbs have been scavenged dry by Kaufman's salvage teams. Those teams are now having to expand their operations to nearby towns (Union Town was within site of Fiddler's Green, remember.)

The former national guardsmen are still recuiting (this explains why the commander had to explain the workings of the electric fence to newly arrived soldiers.)

Ammo is still plentiful (the soldier on the wall wasted a bunch of shots zapping the ghoul on the wire.)

And, there are actually still people living in Fiddlers Green who have not seen a zombie up close. These are basically the very wealthy friends of Kaufman who have been sheltered from the whole thing. This, PhillySwat, explains why the woman in the "hanging" scene seemed totally unfamiliar with the concept that her husband was going to "come back". If you think about it, her son was pretty dumb to this too. To these people the "fall of humanity" was something they watched on the TeeVee (while the TeeVee was still working, that is), while they continued to live the "high life" way up there in the tower. And, when being way up there in the tower got boring, they could always scoot down to that nice, zombie free mall on the main concourse.

So, let's say Land of the Dead takes place three to six months after the events in Dawn of the Dead and roughly four-and-a-half years before the events in Day of the Dead.

Fair enough?

:D

-stray-

ipotts85
26-May-2006, 12:35 AM
that's fine and dandy, but romero has stated in interviews that land takes place years after the outbreak (3 - 5 years if i recall)...

general tbag
26-May-2006, 09:07 AM
my guess has to do with not only the regrouping of society but how they interact.. in day it was as apparent they have yet adapted to life with zombies other than having a gate and flying around in a chopper checking things out.

land on the other hand, people were able to a certain degree function again like a society , but able too live there lives with less fear as things like electrical fences. and more importantly the sky flowers. like really how long do you think it took to figure out zombies were like deer and headlights with fireworks.

day was trying to understand zombies from a science perspective, as land didnt bother and tried to co -exist with them. at some point you would just except what happened and move on . land showed people had moved on , un.ike day were the research was still being conducted.dawn even proves the point with the swat team dealing with them.

also the decay in land was worse for some zombies than day.

strayrider
26-May-2006, 07:58 PM
that's fine and dandy, but romero has stated in interviews that land takes place years after the outbreak (3 - 5 years if i recall)...

potts, I dig what you're saying here. Romero also stated that Land was to be the beginning of a "new cycle" in his dead universe. I could be wrong and assuming far too much, but this led me to believe that Land was actually intended to "stand on its own", same general situation, but a whole different "Romeroverse", one in which the events in Night, Dawn, or Day do not come into play at all. This would certainly allow him to bend, or break any previously established rules from the first three films and go off on a different tangent if he so choses. Again, this is my perception, I could very well be wrong.

Now, with my above comments on where Land might fit into the already established dead "world". This is all "just for fun". I'm definately NOT saying that this is the way it is: Night, Dawn, Land and Day. This is simply the order that I would watch the films if I had the time to sit on my ass for a few hours and watch the series "back to back". When Romero makes the next film in the series, I might very well change the order again.

:D

-stray-

Dawg
27-May-2006, 02:55 AM
When Riley goes to pick up his car, the guy there says the last car was driven out of there THREE years ago.

:dead: Dawg

kortick
27-May-2006, 03:18 AM
you cant use day as a timeline for land

romero planned on day taking place 5 years
from the initial outbreak
land could be taking place at the same time or just
after day

the thing about day is
they were isolated
they had no way of contacting anyone
kaufman may have been living at fiddlers green
while rhodes and co were in the bunker

the day folk were cut off from all
avenues of getting ahold of anyone

so i beleive that land could take place
just after or even at the same time as day

general tbag
27-May-2006, 04:47 AM
you cant use day as a timeline for land

the thing about day is
they were isolated
they had no way of contacting anyone
kaufman may have been living at fiddlers green
while rhodes and co were in the bunker

the day folk were cut off from all
avenues of getting ahold of anyone

so i beleive that land could take place
just after or even at the same time as day

but there roles were very much different. day was about them being assigned as scientists to research the outbreak, something that would happen within a epidemic on a mass scale. land was about society and survivors. in day they really had no need to go to far as all the things they needed were stock piled in the bunker. it was there mental health that suffered . imho day is the third one in the time line as in day they still had hope survivors would be found and actively went scouting. while in land no hope of survivors existed outside the fences.

Philly_SWAT
27-May-2006, 04:52 AM
while in land no hope of survivors existed outside the fences.Then why did Cholo want money from Kaufman when he was leaving?

general tbag
27-May-2006, 04:54 AM
When Riley goes to pick up his car, the guy there says the last car was driven out of there THREE years ago.

:dead: Dawg

yea but riley saw the car there the day before , and the little fat man also agreed it should of been there. the whino must of lied.

honestly it doesnt really matter if it 3 or 5 u know, in my books the break down of society is evidence enough . land being the last film as the kaufman society had reinvented itself with the same socio class problem as before.

much like nations who recover from war , it takes time for those problems to arise.

Then why did Cholo want money from Kaufman when he was leaving?

money was a social standing in kauffmans world, but beyond the gates it pretty much worthless. also cholo wanting cash furthered the character as being dumb and not to smart, and irrational . riley on the other hand only wanted guns and a vehicle, some thing that far out wieghs cash in a zombie world, also again showing the difference between cholo and riley.