PDA

View Full Version : A little more shameless self promotion from the puppet guy

BillyRay
07-Oct-2009, 08:25 PM
We got the flyers/posters printed up for our Halloween shows of the NOTLD puppet show, and thought I'd share.

If y'all find yourself up in Brew City 'round the end of the month, come up and see us! I'll even buy you a beer.

capncnut
07-Oct-2009, 08:34 PM
Cool flyer, BR. If I was anywhere remotely nearby I'd be there.

Neil
08-Oct-2009, 03:57 PM
If only you could introduce the show with/using....

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/romero_interview.jpg

BillyRay
08-Oct-2009, 04:18 PM
There's a picture of Uncle George on one of the set pieces, so he's in there...

(Actually there's more than a few in-jokes and references to the original trilogy thrown in. Usually in places where there would otherwise be random filler.)

bassman
08-Oct-2009, 05:35 PM
Looks like a blast, billy. It's too bad that I can't see it.:(

Just curious...how many puppeteers does it take to animate a crowd of the walking dead?

BillyRay
08-Oct-2009, 06:07 PM
Just curious...how many puppeteers does it take to animate a crowd of the walking dead?

There's around a dozen of us, including Board op/stage Manager.

Mostly Art School croneys and drinkin' buddies.

(with theatre degrees)

DjfunkmasterG
20-Oct-2009, 06:21 PM
This is show worth checking out guys. Hell finding out when they perform and making the trek is worth the drive/flight alone. You will not be disappointed. I have shown the DVD Billy gave me at the con to a lot of friends who want to see it live.

zombiekiller
06-Jan-2010, 09:29 PM
We got the flyers/posters printed up for our Halloween shows of the NOTLD puppet show, and thought I'd share.

If y'all find yourself up in Brew City 'round the end of the month, come up and see us! I'll even buy you a beer.

you going to put it on dvd. if so, i would buy a copy

krakenslayer
06-Jan-2010, 09:31 PM

Ditto. Although I'm not sure how well the "2.5-D" medium of puppet shows would transfer to the screen.

AcesandEights
07-Jan-2010, 02:21 PM
I so want to see a puppet version of Day of the Dead! Damn, now wouldn't that be over the top?

BillyRay
07-Jan-2010, 06:04 PM

We're planning to record a "good version" in the studio; essentially the live show minus the dropped lines, misplaced props, and general low-grade panic that'll happen in a live performance. We got access to greenscreen and there's some very eager Film Guys in the group. There's even talk of adding canned laughter on an alternate audio track (to make up for the lack of a proper audience).

I'll give y'all a heads-up when we get r done. Prolly by late spring. In the meanwhile, we posted the video of this year's performances on the Angry Young Men ltd site.

I so want to see a puppet version of Day of the Dead! Damn, now wouldn't that be over the top?

I've thought about doing Day of the Dead as a puppet show. The only problem is that the movie's so grim it doesn't set itself up well for parody. Night has those classic B&W, B-movie, MST3K-able qualities, and Dawn's been compared with a comic book before (I'd do a Dawn of the Dead show in a heartbeat if I thought I could avoid a lawsuit), but Day...not so much.

If we did, tho', I'd call dibs on Rhodes.

DjfunkmasterG
18-Jan-2010, 01:42 PM
We're planning to record a "good version" in the studio; essentially the live show minus the dropped lines, misplaced props, and general low-grade panic that'll happen in a live performance. We got access to greenscreen and there's some very eager Film Guys in the group. There's even talk of adding canned laughter on an alternate audio track (to make up for the lack of a proper audience).

I'll give y'all a heads-up when we get r done. Prolly by late spring. In the meanwhile, we posted the video of this year's performances on the Angry Young Men ltd site.

I've thought about doing Day of the Dead as a puppet show. The only problem is that the movie's so grim it doesn't set itself up well for parody. Night has those classic B&W, B-movie, MST3K-able qualities, and Dawn's been compared with a comic book before (I'd do a Dawn of the Dead show in a heartbeat if I thought I could avoid a lawsuit), but Day...not so much.

Billy,

i think with the following you are now getting with NOTLD:WP you could probably pitch the idea to New Amsterdam entertainment for the original, or to Strike Entertainment if you did it on the remake.

Basically it is all in how you package the product. Make up a press kit, with a DVD performance of the show, your best show, and explain what you want to do and most of the time you will get a yes. For them it is extra free promotion work to further add to sales of the films. I can't see why they would say no.

Something work looking into.

BillyRay
18-Jan-2010, 05:54 PM
Not a bad plan, Deej, I'll make a note...

Right now the group's going over the logistics for filmimg, editing & production to have a DVD ready, swag-wise, by the next con we do.

We're getting several opportunities for Cons & even a Fringe theater festival. We're primarily a live performance troupe, but even Theater geeks like to do film...

AcesandEights
19-Jan-2010, 06:38 PM

:lol: The over the top, grim aspects of the storyline are exactly why I get a chuckle out of the idea. Not to mention the (questionable in some instances) acting, great lines and memorable characters. Ripe for lampooning, I say :D

That's the spirit! :skull:

BillyRay
19-Jan-2010, 07:20 PM
The over the top, grim aspects of the storyline are exactly why I get a chuckle out of the idea. Not to mention the (questionable in some instances) acting, great lines and memorable characters. Ripe for lampooning, I say

I see where you're coming from, Aces, but a distilled version of the story (with funny jokes) would be very hard to write. Hard for me, anyway. Apart from the bat on a wire, nothing in the film is cheesy enough to poke fun at. It's mostly talking heads until the end.

It's also a question of the audience's familiarity with the material. Just about everybody's seen 'Night' at some point in their lives (Horror fan or not), And about as many have seen 'Dawn' (well, at least the sequel). Unfortunately, 'Day' is sort of the "Middle Kid" of the Romero Dead series.

Part of what we've tried to do with this project is to make the material approachable for someone who may not necessarilly be a Zombie fan.
Easy enough with 'Night', doable with 'Dawn', less so with 'Day'. This has worked pretty well so far - we get great reactions at convention appearances (and we may have another con date coming up soon); but we've also caught the eye of a couple of Fringe Theatre festivals in the Midwest.

Y'know, like we was Art or somethin... :lol::lol::lol:

(And Hellz Yah I'd be Capt. Rhodes. Grand Poobah's privilage. That's why I get to play both Harry Cooper & Sheriff McCelland in our current show)

krakenslayer
19-Jan-2010, 07:29 PM
I think Day would be doable if you boiled the story right down to the set-pieces, and reduce the amount of dialogue. There are some things in that movie that would be a lot of fun (and a cool challenge) to do with puppets - puppet vivisection, puppet amputation and cauterization, puppet Bub, puppet fight in the caves, puppet profanity-laden tirades, etc. - but as you've said, the biggest problem is not that the story can't be pared back to the action elements but instead lies with the lack of audience familiarity. Not only that, but there are just as many (if not more) financial/legal thumbs in the pie with Day as there are with Dawn.