PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Horror Films of the last 40 Years

Minerva_Zombi
24-Oct-2009, 07:37 PM
I thought Id go through and pick my Favorite horror flick year by year from 1970 to now. I get bored and sometimes i like to do these things to find out more about myself. Post your own if you'd like or just gimme ur feedback on my list. Here goes :

1970 : I Drink Your Blood
1971 : Cat O' Nine Tails
1972 : Last House On The Left
1973 : The Crazies
1974 : Texas Chainsaw Massacre
1975 : Deep Red
1976 : Carrie
1977 : Martin
1978 : Halloween
1979 : Dawn Of The Dead
1980 : Maniac
1981 : Evil Dead
1982 : Tenebrae
1983 : Videodrome
1984 : A Nightmare on Elm Street
1985 : Day Of The Dead
1986 : Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
1987 : Evil Dead 2
1988 : Hellraiser 2
1989 : Halloween 5 (Not much to choose from.)
1990 : Tremors
1991 : Freddy's Dead (Again, Not much to choose from)
1992 : Candyman
1993 : Army of Darkness
1994 : In The Mouth Of Madness
1995 : Halloween 6 (See 89 and 91)
1996 : From Dusk Til Dawn
1997 : Scream 2
1998 : The Faculty
1999 : The Blair With Project
2000 : Ginger Snaps
2001 : Bruiser
2002 : 28 Days Later
2003 : House of 1,000 Corpses
2004 : Shaun Of The Dead
2005 : The devil's Rejects
2006 : Silent hill
2007 : Grindhouse
2008 : Diary of the Dead
2009 : Halloween 2

Conclusion : The 90's sucked. This decade is getting better. But the 70's were the golden age. lol

ProfessorChaos
24-Oct-2009, 07:51 PM
you liked tremors better than the night of the living dead remake?:confused:

DubiousComforts
24-Oct-2009, 09:01 PM
1975 : Deep Red

Conclusion : But the 70's were the golden age. lol
Outstanding choice for 1975, but I think you dropped the ball on 1986:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099763/)

I agree there is no topping the 1970s. I'd be tempted to list 70s horror films to fill up the god-awful last two decades.

Minerva_Zombi
24-Oct-2009, 10:12 PM
you liked tremors better than the night of the living dead remake?:confused:

that was a very tough decision but yeah... tremors is just too fucking cool. lol

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Outstanding choice for 1975, but I think you dropped the ball on 1986:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099763/)

I agree there is no topping the 1970s. I'd be tempted to list 70s horror films to fill up the god-awful last two decades.

i forgot all about that one! that is a very great movie. one of the few films that really does disturb me and is tough to watch at times. but, chainsaw 2 is a classic. its def close between those 2.

JDFP
27-Oct-2009, 12:27 AM
1995 : Halloween 6 (See 89 and 91)
1997 : Scream 2

Most of your choices are good ones, but I'm going to have to bust you on the above two mentions. Halloween 6? Really? There wasn't any other horror movies that came out in 1995 better than Halloween 6? I just find that hard to believe. I enjoyed most of the Halloween flicks, but Halloween 6 was just BAD. I mean, real BAD. I hear there is an almost watchable "Producer's Cut" of it floating around out there, but the original version is almost unwatchablly bad (in my humble opinion, at least). What really hurts is that Donald Pleasance died soon after making that flick, it's sad that he went out with that being his last movie. I enjoyed most of the rest of the series though, and thought a few of them (1,2, and 4) were actually incredibly good.

As far as the SCREAM series, they aren't horror movies -- they are comedies with horror elements. I just can't consider the SCREAM flicks as horror films seriously. Oh, I enjoyed them... they were very well done, and the first two of them were good movies, well worth watching, but I think classifying them as "horror" might be pushing it a bit. I've never classified any of the SCREAM flicks as horror but comedy spoofs.

As far as the rest of your list, some wonderful stuff on there... you did a great job pointing out some fine, fine flicks. I'm going to have put one of these together when I get home from work.

j.p.

Minerva_Zombi
27-Oct-2009, 03:17 AM
Most of your choices are good ones, but I'm going to have to bust you on the above two mentions. Halloween 6? Really? There wasn't any other horror movies that came out in 1995 better than Halloween 6? I just find that hard to believe. I enjoyed most of the Halloween flicks, but Halloween 6 was just BAD. I mean, real BAD. I hear there is an almost watchable "Producer's Cut" of it floating around out there, but the original version is almost unwatchablly bad (in my humble opinion, at least). What really hurts is that Donald Pleasance died soon after making that flick, it's sad that he went out with that being his last movie. I enjoyed most of the rest of the series though, and thought a few of them (1,2, and 4) were actually incredibly good.

As far as the SCREAM series, they aren't horror movies -- they are comedies with horror elements. I just can't consider the SCREAM flicks as horror films seriously. Oh, I enjoyed them... they were very well done, and the first two of them were good movies, well worth watching, but I think classifying them as "horror" might be pushing it a bit. I've never classified any of the SCREAM flicks as horror but comedy spoofs.

As far as the rest of your list, some wonderful stuff on there... you did a great job pointing out some fine, fine flicks. I'm going to have put one of these together when I get home from work.

j.p.

I think Halloween 6 isn't as bad as people think. Scared the shit out of me as a kid. The Producers cut is okay but all in all, it isnt a great film. Im sure there was a better choice for 95 but Its probably one I havent seen.

And If Evil Dead 2, Tremors, and Army of Darkness counts. The Scream series counts too. Those are horror films imo. Theres a very thin line between horror and comedy if you think about it.

kortick
27-Oct-2009, 08:54 AM
I will say this sir.

you are ambitious.

Me I would make a list of not just horror
movies but also cult films such as Pink Flamingos
Rocky Horror, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Street Trash,
and others like it.

But I lack the drive u have to complete
such a list.

I do agree that Deep Red is an important film
but I would have chosen Jaws instead.
Both are classics, but Jaws caused a phenomenon
when released. I remember the chaos, as I lived
not far from where it was filmed way back then.

Plus its a favorite of mine so I am biased.

Also a tough choice is Carrie vs The Omen.
Not easy at all.

capncnut
27-Oct-2009, 10:22 AM
I would make a list of not just horror movies but also cult films such as Pink Flamingos, Rocky Horror, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Street Trash, and others like it.
Krackers and Frank getting their own spin off movie... intriguing.

I do agree that Deep Red is an important film but I would have chosen Jaws instead.
Jaws FTW!

Also a tough choice is Carrie vs The Omen. Not easy at all.
I love Carrie 'cos Spacek is so damn cool but The Omen just destroys.

Oh, and the Evil Dead isn't quite 1981. Widespread release was late 82 - early 83.

DubiousComforts
28-Oct-2009, 03:58 AM
I do agree that Deep Red is an important film
but I would have chosen Jaws instead. Both are classics, but Jaws caused a phenomenon when released. I remember the chaos, as I lived not far from where it was filmed way back then.
I agree regarding JAWS as being the film of 1975 simply because it cut across so many genres, not just horror. But DEEP RED is the horror film of 1975. I couldn't even make it through the trailer on television when I was 9 years old.

Btw, you can't possibly make the JAWS case and be taken seriously without raising hell over The Exorcist omission. Talk about a phenomenon!

And If Evil Dead 2, Tremors, and Army of Darkness counts. The Scream series counts too. Those are horror films imo. Theres a very thin line between horror and comedy if you think about it.
In this area, I believe that RE-ANIMATOR reigns supreme over all contenders. Too bad it came out the same year as DAY and Return of the Living Dead.

clanglee
28-Oct-2009, 05:56 AM
\In this area, I believe that RE-ANIMATOR reigns supreme over all contenders. Too bad it came out the same year as DAY and Return of the Living Dead.

What a great year that was!!!!