PDA

View Full Version : Martin...

Mike70
25-Oct-2009, 02:13 AM
i watched this late last night after "paranormal activity" and diary (yes, i gave it another viewing). frak me if this isn't a creepy, creepy ass movie. i've seen it like 30 times at least and still, i never fail to be impressed. the beginning of "martin" has to be one of the better horror film openings out there. this is one film that the music really puts over the top (in my book at least), a perfect, low key, yet slighty ominous soundtrack sells a lot of the scenes in "martin", particularly the parts told in flashback.

anyhoo, i'm of the opinion that "martin" is one of romero's best films, dead or otherwise.

MoonSylver
25-Oct-2009, 02:30 AM
Yep, Martin, Knightriders & the original Dead films are IMO his greatest (although he's made plenty of other films the were good to great, but these are my favorites).

Martin is a very smart movie. Low key, understated. It doesn't spoon feed you the story or spell it out for you, & leaves it to the viewer to decide what the truth of the movie is.

capncnut
25-Oct-2009, 03:26 AM
Martin is joint number one with Dawn as far as I'm concerned, dammit. Is he an old country vampire or is he a total fucknut?

YOU decide!

Kaos
25-Oct-2009, 05:16 AM
When I spoke with George Romero, I told him that Martin is my wife's favorite Romero flick. He said it is his favorite as well because it was the first movie in which he felt like a real director.

axlish
25-Oct-2009, 12:57 PM
He reinvented the vampire genre. Unfortunately, about 73 people have seen the film. I hated the film the first two times I attempted to watch it. Once I considered the fact that Martin may not be a vampire, it blew my mind and I was hooked. Granted, it doesn't have the everyday viewability of a Dawn of the Dead, but I hold it in similar regard. I probably watch it about once a year, maybe less.

Much in the same way that The Crazies foreshadows Dawn of the Dead, Season of the Witch (Jack's Wife, Hungry Wives) is a precursor to Martin. Season is practically the same movie. The witchcraft/vampirism is only real to those who choose to believe in it.

MoonSylver
25-Oct-2009, 10:16 PM
Much in the same way that The Crazies foreshadows Dawn of the Dead, Season of the Witch (Jack's Wife, Hungry Wives) is a precursor to Martin. Season is practically the same movie. The witchcraft/vampirism is only real to those who choose to believe in it.

Season is quite the mindfuck as well, and another film I dig.

BillyRay
26-Oct-2009, 06:24 PM
Finally saw Martin for the first time last week.

It's more of a character study to me, than straight-forward horror film.

But What a character study...my heart went out to that crazy, mixed-up kid. (Especially when Rhodes shoots him in the head...wait, that's Day of the Dead)

Plus, Tom Savini's first collaboration with George Romero. Historic.

My local video store has Season of the Witch, too.

(Their copy has There's Always Vanilla as a Special Feature)

May have to compare/contrast.

clanglee
26-Oct-2009, 07:41 PM
When asked at the film fest early this year whether Martin was a vampire or not, George said its up to you to decide of course, but that John Amplas had decided that Martin was just crazy, and that's how he played the character out. The great thing about the movie is that you never get a definite answer tho.

Mike70
26-Oct-2009, 08:56 PM
. Is he an old country vampire or is he a total fucknut?

YOU decide!

i think he's a fucknut. he is a fucknut who has been largely created by his almost equally insane family and their "quaint" belief system.

capncnut
26-Oct-2009, 09:12 PM
But wouldn't that imply Tada is a fucknut too because he reveals Martin's age during a conversation with his grandaughter. I mean are the whole family fucknuts?

MoonSylver
26-Oct-2009, 10:19 PM
But wouldn't that imply Tada is a fucknut too because he reveals Martin's age during a conversation with his grandaughter. I mean are the whole family fucknuts?

That's just it MAYBE they are...if that's the angle you take then the implication is that Tada MADE Martin the vampire he turned out to be...

Mike70
26-Oct-2009, 10:24 PM

i think there is every possibly that cuda is bat shit crazy as well and simply believes the bullshit that he's been told by other family members.

there really isn't enough info to tell. it could really go either way.

ProfessorChaos
27-Mar-2010, 03:02 PM
kinda dragging an old thread out of the dirt here, but i just got this in the mail the other day and i'm really looking forward to checking it out. will post a few thoughts about it later this weekend.

ProfessorChaos
28-Mar-2010, 07:03 AM
wow. pretty impressive film. didn't suffer from many of the glaring bloopers from some of romero's earlier works. good acting, creepy music, and a very disturbing film. totally didn't see that ending coming, that really surprised me. anyone who's not seen this and calls themselves a romero fan needs to check it out.

major jay
28-Mar-2010, 10:33 AM
I've only watched this a couple of times and thought it was alright. It seemed like Romero was still playing around with that "we are the monsters" theme. Maybe more like we create the monsters. I'll have to check it out again. I don't think I got much of the social commentary.
The dvd I have does have some nice behind the scenes footage of the filming of Dawn of the Dead.

Watched it again. The tag line should be "It's not magic, it's a sickness".

SymphonicX
29-Mar-2010, 01:59 PM
Great movie, a complete masterpiece.
It's Romero's most accomplished movie - a triumph of nice editing, clever story and awesome depth to believable characters which shines throughout. Christine Forrest Romero is great in the film playing (as usual) Tom Savini's girlfriend. Lincoln Maazel was of course, a legend long before this film but his presence also makes the movie shine. It was a great debut from John Amplas (why he didn't get a bigger career from this, I don't know). And the social commentary on media frenzy, fear of the boogeyman and our perceptions of the supernatural gives light to a brightly burning and complex horror movie which shouldn't be ignored.

10/10

Purge
29-Mar-2010, 02:32 PM
Martin is Romero's best non-zombie movie, IMO. Great concept, good soundtrack, and I had a small circle of friends in high school and could relate to him.

major jay
29-Apr-2010, 08:05 PM
I see that Arrow is releasing a new edition of Martin in the UK. Looks damn good :), hopefully it will be released in the US soon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Martin-Special-DVD-John-Amplas/dp/B002XT38A0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272562205&sr=8-2

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/tcrine_photos/MartinDVDexplodedsmallimageRGB.jpg

THIS AMAZING
2-DISC EDITION CONTAINS:
• 4 sleeve art options
• Double-sided fold-out poster
• Exclusive Collector’s Booklet
• Set of 6 original poster art postcards
THIS DVD SET CONTAINS :
• Theatrical Cut in 5.1 and Stereo sound
plus choice of 4:3 and 16:9 presentations
SPECIAL FEATURES :
• Original Theatrical trailer
• Wampyr: The Italian Cut with English
Subs featuring legendary Goblin Score
• The audio recollections of Romero,
Savini, Gornick and Rubinstein
• ‘Making Martin’:
A recounting documentary
• Original TV and Radio Spots
• Martin Photo Album

krakenslayer
29-Apr-2010, 08:12 PM
Great movie, a complete masterpiece.
It's Romero's most accomplished movie - a triumph of nice editing, clever story and awesome depth to believable characters which shines throughout. Christine Forrest Romero is great in the film playing (as usual) Tom Savini's girlfriend. Lincoln Maazel was of course, a legend long before this film but his presence also makes the movie shine. It was a great debut from John Amplas (why he didn't get a bigger career from this, I don't know). And the social commentary on media frenzy, fear of the boogeyman and our perceptions of the supernatural gives light to a brightly burning and complex horror movie which shouldn't be ignored.

10/10

Totally agree with this evaluation, but I gotta ask, what else was Lincoln Maazel in? IMDB only has two credits for him.

AcesandEights
29-Apr-2010, 08:20 PM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w234/tcrine_photos/MartinDVDexplodedsmallimageRGB.jpg

Whoah :thumbsup:

I did a search on Amazon to see if there was any info on there as to whether we could expect a similar U.S. release and all I got was this:

http://valdefierro.com/martin29.jpg

Then a refined search told me that the basic mid-2000s release was the most recent they had a record of.

Anyone know if most/all Blu-ray players play DVDs of any region?

BillyRay
29-Apr-2010, 08:24 PM
I did a search on Amazon to see if there was any info on there as to whether we could expect a similar U.S. realize and all I got was this:

Well, the thing they have in common is that they both So Crazy...:lol:

major jay
29-Apr-2010, 09:46 PM
^^^^^
:lol::lol:

Has anyone seen this Italian cut with the Goblin score?

krakenslayer
01-May-2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20044

Fuck that :annoyed:

shootemindehead
01-May-2010, 07:45 PM

Scarier than Romero's version....FACT!

krakenslayer
01-May-2010, 10:32 PM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20044

Fuck that :annoyed:

No, really, FUCK THAT ^^^

(obviously, no one here actually reads my posts or you'd all be going insane by now) :lol:

fulci fan
02-May-2010, 12:38 AM
^^^^^
:lol::lol:

Has anyone seen this Italian cut with the Goblin score?

Shit, man. Is that even available on dvd? That is one mistake Romero made with his movies released in the states; no Goblin score.

Wahsleety
02-May-2010, 01:32 AM
I hate you Richard Rubinstein.

AcesandEights
02-May-2010, 01:25 PM
No, really, FUCK THAT ^^^

(obviously, no one here actually reads my posts or you'd all be going insane by now) :lol:

Oh, I read it Kraken, but I couldn't bring myself to partake in another nostalgia-driven, barbarians at the gates, rantfest about remakes :)

But I feel what you're saying. Fuck that (unless it's good :skull:).

major jay
02-May-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, what's the point of getting pissed.
So this means Knightriders is the only Romero film of significance that won't have a remake.

Shit, man. Is that even available on dvd? That is one mistake Romero made with his movies released in the states; no Goblin score.

It's an extra on the dvd coming out in the UK. I love the original soundtrack but I'd be interested to see what, I'm assuming Argento, changed up in the editing and also in hearing the Goblin soundtrack.
Gotta admit it's a really cool extra.

AcesandEights
03-May-2010, 01:45 PM
So this means Knightriders is the only Romero film of significance that won't have a remake.

Shhhh. People in suits will hear you and make it not true. :shifty:

DubiousComforts
07-May-2010, 04:01 PM
That is one mistake Romero made with his movies released in the states; no Goblin score.
Perhaps Rubinstein can get Claudio Simonetti for the Martin (Twilight) remake and correct this oversight.

Terran
10-May-2010, 03:06 AM
Just saw this for the first time a few nights ago...It was awsome...Damn getting older ruins people...