PDA

View Full Version : The Dome - Stephen King's new book

Neil
26-Oct-2009, 01:05 PM
Taken him 25yrs to finalise it...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/apr/03/stephen-king-under-dome

axlish
26-Oct-2009, 01:34 PM
I think the concept sounds interesting enough to make me pick it up. I really enjoyed The Cell so I think I'll give it a chance.

Neil
26-Oct-2009, 01:34 PM
I predict a poor ending though!

axlish
26-Oct-2009, 01:47 PM
I hope not! He scrapped this thing at least twice and started over.

krakenslayer
26-Oct-2009, 02:19 PM
I think it will be good. I like King's novels -- I'm not a fanboy, but I enjoy them -- ever the later ones, Dreamcatcher, Cell, et al, even though the quality of the writing seems to be flagging just a little. Hopefully this one will be a return to form and not the expansive, overlong, shapeless mess a lot of people are fearing.

As I've said before, the general synopsis seems very John Wyndham (the set up is almost identical to the opening of The Midwich Cuckoos, aka. Village of the Damned). For me, that's a good thing, because I love Wyndham.

MikePizzoff
27-Oct-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm with you, Kraken. I'm even a fan of his later stuff; The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and From A Buick 8 are actually some of my favorites he's ever done.

I wouldn't mind picking this up.

deadpunk
29-Oct-2009, 01:42 AM
I predict a poor ending though!

Isn't that the truth?

I've never been a fanboy of King, but I profess to owning an extensive collection of his works. Unlike most of the posters thus far though, I'm more a fan of his earlier works.

One thing the man is consistant with though; shoddy endings. :annoyed:

Mr.G
10-Nov-2009, 01:11 AM
It sounds interesting....I bought it online from WalMart for 8.99 with shipping! Great deal!