PDA

View Full Version : Drag Me To Hell

jded
03-Nov-2009, 09:18 PM
Watched this last night. The DVD has two versions, unrated directors cut and theatrical. I went with the unrated, figured I'd watch it the way Sam intended it.

I was really jazzed and excited from the get go with the opening scene of the mexican boy and thought This is going to rock. I felt it started to slow down after that and lose it's edge but then pick back up with the hilarious scene in the parking garage.

In the end I felt that Raimi may have held back believing that the slapstick style of "Evil Dead 2" and "Army of Darkness" would not hold up again or be overlooked as just another rehash of the same. The original "Evil Dead" had it's moments of comic style but with a much darker presence overall. ED2 is basically a redo of the first and according to Sam the way he intended the first to be. I personally find the original to surpass the second. It holds up after infinite viewings.

What are your thoughts on Drag Me To Hell? Do you think Sam Raimi lost a little something in this one? Did doing Spiderman change him when it comes to direction?

MinionZombie
04-Nov-2009, 10:09 AM
I loved Drag Me To Hell, although I do wish it was a full-on R-Rated movie.

That said, it still scared the crap out of me, had the whole audience jumping and screaming and carrying on, and it was bloody good fun.

Haven't seen the unrated version, but apparently it's only a minor tweak to one scene, and apparently it's scarier in the PG-13 version - something to do with the PG-13 having more 'set-up' to the horror moment, whereas the unrated just goes straight to the horror ... I remember reading that somewhere, possibly DVDTimes.

MaximusIncredulous
06-Nov-2009, 07:34 PM
I actually enjoyed DMTH more than I thought I would. Very entertaining from beginning to end although I did find Lohman's acting a bit lackluster at times.