PDA

View Full Version : What 5 films in the last 10 years have scared you and why

Danny
07-Nov-2009, 09:42 PM
So i was talking with a fellow movie aficionado about horror flicks and how i think there a bit better in the "aughties" than the 90's. That led onto favorites, as it does, and onto why you like them, as the most scary, and why and the why i think is always a "type" that certain viewers fall into.

Personally i'll watch any horror film with myself imagining myself in that situation. i see what the protagonists doing and think how the last few minutes would occur if i was in the reins. Which is fairly evident in my top 5 horror flicks of the last 10 years, as follows:

The Blair Witch Project: Now its a scary movie, one totally based on the "let the audience decide what they see, dont show them" rules, that appeals to me, but honestly this was a flick i see as a very indie level filmmaker and its an eerily similar situation that i find myself much more easy to imagine myself in than say, my i.t guy friend, or chef friend y'know?
I've been out filming on camping trips, even for horror stuff were weve freaked each other out and this flick really resonated with me.
Of course i think "i choose a visible landmark, or star at dusk and walk and ill reach something. which of course is very unlikely in the pine barrens from what i know, though that was the last broadcast but you get the idea.
-anyway, yeah, as a filmmaker who knows people who ARE these characters, been in similar isolated filming shoots and this really struck the creepy chord with me.

The Strangers: More a nihilistic drama with thriller overtones to be sure, but one thing that creeps me out is the notion of home invasion, i spent a year living alone on a rough estate and had people try to get in a few times, and again i resonated a lot with this whole "why are you doing this?" "you were home" in a big, creeped out way.
Again its putting myself in the flick, i watch it and think "oh fuck, where do i run at this point", even ignoring the characters and just thinking about the situation and how i would evade the antagonists.
-also a very creepy flick i recommend.

The Grudge: yeah, a surprise one, but the remake starring buffy whatserface. though this is probably the only kind of remake i'll not dismiss off the bat because its made by the creator of the original, he was just offered Hollywood bank to make a version with bigger budget tools.- and the original was good, but slow, theres a subplot with some schoolgirls newspapering windows that is creepy but the director was right to leave it out in the second version of it.
Also i had to right an essay on the scene where the woman is haunted form the office building to her own bed.
Now THAT creeped me out in a very skin crawling kinda way. Again because i put myself in the situation, and in this flick you just CANNOT escape it, there aint no tape to copy, no body to destroy of internet access to escape. you cannot run, it willl always find you. its a hopeless situation, in some ways like saw minus the over glorification of paying to see dramatized torture, but thats a discussion for another thread no doubt, but yeah, no doubt this is a curveball but this shat me right up at points more than any other flick in this decade.

28 Days Later: Now this should be obvious, your alone, or damn close in the population center of the fucking country with things angrier, fueled by adrenaline and out for your blood and they CANNOT be dissuaded. like the grudge this scares me because i know if i was there it would be a hopeless situation for me, i am sure i would die eventually.

R-Point: A korean horror flick about lost troops who venture upon an abandoned hotel in the warzone, designated r-point with a haunting that, if i was there i know i couldn't deal with it, if these are harden korean military and american gi's with all that training losing there shit and going private pyle on each others asses.
a creepy flick that again i couldn't deal in i reckon.

and thats my 5 that spring to mind, theres obviously gonna be others, but these all fall into the "if i was there i dont think i would make it" type fo scary movie, at least for me, what about you?

MinionZombie
08-Nov-2009, 11:03 AM
Drag Me To Hell - that scared the bejesus out of me, and the entire audience. It was a hellla fun ride.

Blair Witch Project - indeed. Although while I wasn't especially scared by the woodland stuff (except when their tents get attacked and they go batshit crazy and run for it), the whole bit in the house terrified me.

The Hills Have Eyes 2006 - I found that really quite good, and it's one of the few remakes of the recent glut that have actually been worthwhile. The third act, in my view, is much improved by using the nuclear testing ground setting rather than just a bunch of rock formations. It did rely a lot on loud noises in the opening sections though.

Switchblade Romance aka High Tension - another one by Aja, but it's bloody good. It's violent, it's convincing in it's horror stricken characters, the home invasion is graphic to say the least, and it's generally just an awesome horror flick.

Right At Your Door - while not a horror movie really, it's the most convincing fictional terrorist attack movie out there, and it does a key thing in that it makes you think "what if I was in that position?"

These are just five off the top of my head, I'm sure there have been other ones worthy of mentioning too, but I can't think of them right now.

Danny
08-Nov-2009, 01:35 PM
im having troubel watching right at your door again, when im about to pop a dvd in i run it through my head and thats one like sunshine where i think "i dont wanna watch all of there for the ending", not saying its bad just not something i can watch as often as something like, say, zombieland or clerk 2 y'know?

deadpunk
08-Nov-2009, 03:11 PM
I can only think of 2 that have actually scared me.

The Grudge and The Ring. Honestly, both of these scared the bejeesus out of me. I made the mistake of watching both of these late at night by myself and wound up sleeping on the couch with the tv tuned to Comedy Central to ward off small asian children that were going to crawl out of my bedroom closet. Gah!

Now, I do have to admit that the scene in King Kong where the film crew initially lands on the island scared me. But, for different reasons. My wife and I watched that one down in our basement bar with the surround sound on. If you haven't experienced Kong in surround sound, I highly suggest it. There are so many whispers and such, that it sounds like the savages are creeping up on you. We kept having to pause the damn thing and run upstairs to check on the kids in bed :lol:

blind2d
09-Nov-2009, 01:44 AM
Blair Witch Project - Let's pretend this didn't have a sequel. It's a great movie, really unique, and really genuinely spooky. Kind of what reality TV could have been, if it were good. What exactly was it in that bundle of sticks, anyway?

Ring - Haven't seen the original Japanese, but this... is just amazing. Random "special" kid is my favorite part. Seriously, what was the point of him? Awww... doesn't matter.

Others - I don't know... not as cool as the previews made it seem, but still worth watching. Cool twist, no matter how obvious it may be.

Orphanage - By the Pan/Hellboy guy. Another in the vein of creepy supernatural children. Very well done, though the ending... meh. Better than Others.

Saw 1-5 - Why the hell not? Sure, it's just gore-ploitation for some bits, but really it's a good story that makes you think a bit about the human condition. Sort of. The puppet thing is soooo much cooler than Chucky.

Just five? Shoot, I had like three more!

DeadJonas190
09-Nov-2009, 06:55 AM
So I had a long response written, grabbed my drink, bumped my mouse which has a back button on it and it was all deleted. Basically I have been let down by most of the horror movies in the past 10 years and find that they have become increasingly reliant on gore and special effects over having an actual story behind them. I prefer horror movies that have more of a psychological or supernatural aspect to them than something that is just a bunch of stupid people running around being slaughtered. I can appreciate the special effects, but there comes a point where there has to be an actual story, anybody can film people running through the woods/a big house/an abandoned town being killed by the local cannibal/monster/inbred.

Ghost Of War
09-Nov-2009, 07:54 AM
Ooooh, good question. Let's see.....

[REC] - Scared the shit out of me, I thought it was brilliantly done for a film of that style.

Eden Lake - Even though the main couple were a bit annoying, I felt myself rooting for the woman, but the situation they were in was terrifying, and pretty realistic IMO.

Drag Me To Hell - Hilariously scary, great fun.

Martyrs - Awesome French flick, more shocking than scary, but the idea behind it gave me the creeps. It left me sitting with my mouth open in shock for about 5 minutes after it had finished.

I honestly can't think of any more off the top of my head at the moment, but I'm sure there's a few.

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2009, 09:41 AM
DeadJonas - you could have hit "forward" on your browser, then clicked in the text box and pressed CTRL+Z to "undo". That might have brought all or most of your text back. It's worked for me in the past, but then I also copy all the text by going CTRL+A and CTRL+C just in case there's any bugger up so I don't have to write everything all over again.

Ghost - Martyrs - that's a damn good choice right there, as is [REC].

Martyrs, which I saw recently for the first time, really freaked me out. [REC], the original version, scared me - especially the bit where they put the camera up into the attic and swivel it around. I knew they'd do what they did, so I just couldn't look at the screen and turned the audio down, hehe.

Did the same with the same scene in the remake, which didn't scare me as much - in part as it was like seeing the same movie all over again, and in part because maybe it just wasn't as scary in general. However, with the remake, Jennifer Carpenter (the chick from Dexter) did a fantastic job. I've never seen anyone so convincingly terrified on screen before, she was just out-there, man.

Ghost Of War
09-Nov-2009, 10:20 AM
DeadJonas - you could have hit "forward" on your browser, then clicked in the text box and pressed CTRL+Z to "undo". That might have brought all or most of your text back. It's worked for me in the past, but then I also copy all the text by going CTRL+A and CTRL+C just in case there's any bugger up so I don't have to write everything all over again.

Ghost - Martyrs - that's a damn good choice right there, as is [REC].

Martyrs, which I saw recently for the first time, really freaked me out. [REC], the original version, scared me - especially the bit where they put the camera up into the attic and swivel it around. I knew they'd do what they did, so I just couldn't look at the screen and turned the audio down, hehe.

Did the same with the same scene in the remake, which didn't scare me as much - in part as it was like seeing the same movie all over again, and in part because maybe it just wasn't as scary in general. However, with the remake, Jennifer Carpenter (the chick from Dexter) did a fantastic job. I've never seen anyone so convincingly terrified on screen before, she was just out-there, man.

Quarantine was ok, and agreed about the chick, she was really good. I think because I'd seen [REC] first, Quarantine didn't scare me as much. Still pretty good, though.

I've thought of another one to complete my 5...Sheitan (or Satan). Not a particularly good film, but Vincent Cassel is genuinely frightening in this. Just his constant manic grin throughout the film scares me poopless.

bassman
09-Nov-2009, 12:15 PM
Grindhouse - Say what you will, but the suspense before the first crash in Death Proof had my teeth chattering. It was almost like a slasher waiting around the corner to gut his victim. You knew some serious shit was about to go down....and oh did it go down.

Requiem For A Dream - Not a horror film, but the last 30 or so minutes of this flick are horrifying.

Blair Witch Project - Already been covered....

Right At Your Door - The clausterphobic feel.

Saw - Just the first one. I couldn't care any less about the seven thousand sequels.

thxleo
09-Nov-2009, 01:58 PM
The Blair Witch Project and By the People: The Election of Barack Obama

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2009, 02:35 PM
Interesting about Grindhouse. I didn't find it scary at all, but I found Planet Terror very gross at times, hehe.

Although the trailer for "Don't" freaked me out a bit - Nick Frost as a demented adult baby in a nappy in a spooky dungeon/basement ... freaky.

Saw - damn straight, that movie is awesome - I was a bit freaked out by it, but I was really more enthralled by it, and then the ending just blew my mind ... and then freaked me out.

Danny
09-Nov-2009, 02:46 PM
Although the trailer for "Don't" freaked me out a bit - Nick Frost as a demented adult baby in a nappy in a spooky dungeon/basement ... freaky.

f7W_sMFoyMs

i for one would love to see edgar do that as a feature, and make it look like a 70's hammer era horror flick.:lol:

AcesandEights
09-Nov-2009, 04:09 PM
R-Point: A korean horror flick about lost troops who venture upon an abandoned hotel in the warzone, designated r-point with a haunting that, if i was there i know i couldn't deal with it, if these are harden korean military and american gi's with all that training losing there shit and going private pyle on each others asses.
a creepy flick that again i couldn't deal in i reckon.

Sounds good, Hellsing! Added to my list of must-sees.

Thanks!

krakenslayer
09-Nov-2009, 04:22 PM
R-Point was good!

I can;t think of any film that's scared me recently, though.

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2009, 04:28 PM
f7W_sMFoyMs

i for one would love to see edgar do that as a feature, and make it look like a 70's hammer era horror flick.:lol:
Word, bitch!

*high five*

krakenslayer
09-Nov-2009, 04:40 PM
Reminds me of this:

dTdExWrnmHQ

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2009, 07:46 PM
Reminds me of this:

dTdExWrnmHQ
hehe, that was an awesome spoof trailer too.

slickwilly13
10-Nov-2009, 01:24 AM
hehe, that was an awesome spoof trailer too.

Damnit, I was hoping that was a real movie. Who ever did these should go ahead and make the whole movie. I would seriously pay to watch Don't and Bitch Killer.

In all honesty, I have not found a horror movie during the past 10 yrs that was scary. I do not understand the hype of movies such as Blair Witch or The Ring. The Blair Witch Project was the first movie I talked shit through an entire movie. I am just dumb-founded on how this movie made millions.

capncnut
10-Nov-2009, 02:27 AM
I have done my top five and top ten over the last couple of years. Not doing it again.

deadpunk
10-Nov-2009, 02:30 AM
I have done my top five and top ten over the last couple of years. Not doing it again.

This was top 5 that scared you. If this were my top 5, they would have all been John Carpenter films :p

capncnut
10-Nov-2009, 02:32 AM
Nothing has scared me in recent years. Except you in a tutu.

deadpunk
10-Nov-2009, 02:34 AM
Top five horror films, nothing has scared me in recent years. Except you in a tutu.

That only scared you because it made you feel.......funny :clown:

krakenslayer
10-Nov-2009, 11:59 AM
Damnit, I was hoping that was a real movie. Who ever did these should go ahead and make the whole movie. I would seriously pay to watch Don't and Bitch Killer.

You should check out Darkplace then, it's a HILARIOUS spoof sci-fi-horror TV show made by the same cast and crew, which exactly imitates bad 1970s & 80s grindhouse horror and creaky old TV shows right down to the dodgy camera angles, weird dialogue, unintentional sexism and awful effects. It's really fantastic. Here:

nNfQ0ORwSDM

capncnut
10-Nov-2009, 03:03 PM
That only scared you because it made you feel.......funny :clown:
Indeed. Actually your sig is way more scarier than any horror film. :D

Don't mean to be a grouch but I'm really trying to think of a movie that has actually scared me in the last ten years. I seriously can't think of one. Have any films shocked me? Yes, Irréversible. Have any films made me grip the edge of my seat? Yes, Saw. Have any films grossed me out? Yes, many but scared? I dunno.

But The Evil Dead terrified me as a child. I mean terrified! :stunned:

Graebel
10-Nov-2009, 04:58 PM
Ten years? I haven't been scared in a long time (however, The Exorcist and Phantasm scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.) Horrified, absolutely.

The Signal - this was a godawful gut punch of a movie.

Audition - creeped me out deeply

Saw ? - the scene where she falls into the needles, I had to leave the room cause I felt like vomiting

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2009, 05:59 PM
Graebel - I belive that was Saw II - Amanda falls into a pit of needles ... and aye, it grossed me out too.

deadpunk
10-Nov-2009, 08:29 PM
Indeed. Actually your sig is way more scarier than any horror film. :D

Thanks. I was shooting for subtle evil.

But The Evil Dead terrified me as a child. I mean terrified! :stunned:

When I was a kid, I saw a movie called (I believe) Changeling, with Jack Klugman. OMFG. Scared me half to death for the better part of a summer. I have never even had the courage to rewatch it as an adult...:eek:

clanglee
10-Nov-2009, 09:21 PM
When I was a kid, I saw a movie called (I believe) Changeling, with Jack Klugman. OMFG. Scared me half to death for the better part of a summer. I have never even had the courage to rewatch it as an adult...:eek:

The Changeling had George C. Scott, and was one of my favorite scary movies as a kid.

As far as the last ten years go. . well. . Blair Witch scared me pretty good, And another movie by Sanchez delivered the scares pretty well as well, Altered. Good stuff that. Ummm. . . .REC. . . . . .and um. . . . .well. . . .I don't know. . .nothing has been insanely scary, Paranormal Activity gave me the creeps and was pretty scary, it even stuck with me for a little while. Oh, Death of a Ghost Hunter was a pretty good one . . . but seriously, nothing aside from BWP really got me.

capncnut
10-Nov-2009, 09:28 PM
Wasn't that George C. Scott?

But you gotta love ol' Quincy. When you see an old fart pouring out champagne for a bkini clad blonde on a boat, you gotta respect that. :D

deadpunk
10-Nov-2009, 09:52 PM
George C Scott... huh. I stand corrected. :)

I'm glad other people remember that one. Just thinking about that wet ball bouncing down the stairs makes me want to wet myself...:eek:

MoonSylver
11-Nov-2009, 10:38 PM
George C Scott... huh. I stand corrected. :)

I'm glad other people remember that one. Just thinking about that wet ball bouncing down the stairs makes me want to wet myself...:eek:

The Changeling F'ing rocks. One of my favorite ghost movies.

I've thought about this one for awhile. I've thought about horror in general for a good long while. I've come to the conclusion I've become pretty desensitized & jaded...I have a hard time remembering the last time a movie "scared" me (& I wish there WAS one that just scared me silly!), but I do have some that gave me the creeps, a sense of dread, or the willies, which I think is the best I can hope for...

1. Blair Witch - a lot of others already hit the high points. I thought they did a great job with keeping it real, subtly weaving in the mythology & backstory & the end just blew me away.

2. The Ring - again, another one that just did creepy well to me & wove the back story where you had to fill in the blanks yourself a bit.

3. The Grudge - One thing that I think works well in the kind of genre of Japanese horror on a DIFFERENT level than in Japan is that it is drawing on a mythology & tropes that are familiar to the Japanese, but to westerners that are totally unfamiliar with them it comes across as slightly alien & weird due to differences in cultural context & mindset.

4. Session 9 - Just a slow build, creepy atmosphere, lets you make up your own mind on what's really going on & another ending that blew me away.

5. The Others - Another creepy ghost story, slow build, mystery unravels, & killer ending.

(If we were doing more than 5 then Stir of Echoes, The Sixth Sense, maybe The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Gothika in parts...)

shootemindehead
12-Nov-2009, 12:38 AM
In the last 10 years?

Nothing has scared me. That's because 'Day of the Dead' ruined horror for me. :D

In saying that, I did and do enjoy the 'Saw' films. I don't know why people get all highbrow about them. I think they're quite well written and pretty inventive. Enough is enough though.

I enjoyed 'REC' too and 'The Hills Have Eyes' was a pleasant surprise. Pity about the bloody awful sequel.

Mulholland Drive
The scariest moment I've seen in a film in a long while though was that fecker behind the resturant in 'Mulholland Dr.'. That was a well handled scare scene. Pity it was just a lad with shit all over his face. :D

Danny
12-Nov-2009, 12:42 AM
In saying that, I did and do enjoy the 'Saw' films. I don't know why people get all highbrow about them. I think they're quite well written and pretty inventive. Enough is enough though.

heres all i say about saw "i cannot in good conscience call film art when i pay to see a flick which pays for a guy to make his living by thinking up ways to torture people on screen for the sake of it"

MoonSylver
12-Nov-2009, 04:51 AM

I've only seen the 1st one, & loved it. Didn't bother with the sequels as I was afraid they would be sub par & I dug the first one so much. I didn't find it to be scary, but it did blow me away. I've heard the subsequent ones get more gruesome, but I didn't find the original to be deserving of the "torture porn" label I've heard tossed about.

I enjoyed 'REC' too

I forgot to work [REC] in there somewhere on my list. It really did get creepy & edge of the seat tense. I should add Dead Set to that list too...

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2009, 09:41 AM
heres all i say about saw "i cannot in good conscience call film art when i pay to see a flick which pays for a guy to make his living by thinking up ways to torture people on screen for the sake of it"

Yeah, cos you'd never watch a movie with people getting their throats ripped out by zombies, legs yanked off, heads caved in and so on... :rolleyes:

As for the "art" comment ... all I can muster is - :rolleyes:

I've only seen the 1st one, & loved it. Didn't bother with the sequels as I was afraid they would be sub par & I dug the first one so much. I didn't find it to be scary, but it did blow me away. I've heard the subsequent ones get more gruesome, but I didn't find the original to be deserving of the "torture porn" label I've heard tossed about.

The first is the best and is a stand-out film that gets drowned by the ever-diminishing sequels.

Saw II was adapated from a script that wasn't even Saw, so that explains why it doesn't feel right, but it has some moments in terms of the overall story and as a horror movie that make it just about worthwhile.

Saw III is the best of the sequels, I say, but it is certainly the beginning of the needlessly over-the-top grossness (bone twister, and rotted pig slurry drowner, being the two that are just too gross). The story also began to get a bit convoluted here, but it was just holding on to some sanity, and the way it wraps up makes sense - and they should have left it there. Sadly, they didn't.

Saw IV is pish, and this is where it gets really fucking stupid and you think "how on earth could Saw have a plan this intricate, elaborate and foreseeing?". The excuse in continuing with "an apprentice" is also fucking lame.

Saw V is similar to IV in terms of pishness. More nonsense in every respect, and the series has thoroughly become a victim of its own cliches and set pieces.

Saw VI will no doubt be exactly the same.

In summary - Saw I, II and III is where it's at for the series - beyond that, it's crap with only mere moments of interest.

As for the whole "torture porn" argument, I don't buy it at all, and seems particularly snobby coming from horror fans in general. Sure, you're totally entitled to not like it, but bemoaning "teh pe0plz R gettin hurtz!" just strikes me as hypocritical considering the horror genre in general.

Saw I was a really good film, and the first two sequels round out a nice little trilogy story arc. Beyond that, the films are simply not good movies. They're dull, predictable, trapped within their own cliches, and are so nonsensically convoluted you've got FUCK ALL IDEA what's going on ... plus the characters are all so utterly stupid. They all know about Jigsaw and how the games work, but they refuse to play by Jigsaw's rules - if they did that, they'd actually fucking survive!

shootemindehead
12-Nov-2009, 09:41 AM

Hmmm...that could apply to most horror films.

They usually consist of some form of torturous experience for the characters involved.

Besides, no offence, but I find it somewhat absurd that anybody on a forum dedicated to the 'Living Dead' movies of G. Romero could object to a series like 'Saw'. In Romero's movies, in 'Day of the Dead', people undergo the most horrific of torturous experiences.

shootemindehead
12-Nov-2009, 09:44 AM
I forgot to work [REC] in there somewhere on my list. It really did get creepy & edge of the seat tense. I should add Dead Set to that list too...

Wasn't too pushed on 'Dead Set'.

But the ending of 'Rec' was some of the best scenes I've seen in a horror flick for a long time.

Danny
12-Nov-2009, 09:55 AM
Hmmm...that could apply to most horror films.

They usually consist of some form of torturous experience for the characters involved.

Besides, no offence, but I find it somewhat absurd that anybody on a forum dedicated to the 'Living Dead' movies of G. Romero could object to a series like 'Saw'. In Romero's movies, in 'Day of the Dead', people undergo the most horrific of torturous experiences.

true, but in a romero film its part of a high tension point, like when the bunkers finally broken into at the end of day, with saw its a constant, and by the 6th installment not one person is going in expecting plot, there going in to see people be tortured and mutilated in various self harming, nihilistic situations. And its not a big 'rag on saw' thing with me, i get it, i can see the macabre draw for people, but ive seen the first two saw's and the 5th and im pretty sure ive seen all im going to see besides more murder. When survival comes out i wont be watching it to see people die, i dont go to watch any horror film to see people die- just look at one of my top 5, the blair witch project, no one dies on screen in that and its chilling. I watch horror films for the draw most do, to be scared in an environment where theres no actual danger. and for me saw isnt scary, its gore to the point of eye rolling absurdity. But like i said,thats just me and i can see how people still dig it. I would just rather use my cash to help fund something new and interesting than pay the "saw guy" money to just make films that arent about social commentary, dont have subtext or provote thought. But are just two hours of people put in cruel situations they cannot escape and being hurt.
For me thats not entertaining, i dont want to see that, i dont care about that. its why i dont, personally, want to see any more saw films.

shootemindehead
12-Nov-2009, 10:48 AM
But, there's more to 'Saw' than just the gorey set pieces. There is actually a meandering story throughout (even if it has become somewhat convoluted by IV and V).

In addition, the main attraction for most people to a zombie movie isn't the plot...it's the gore. I think you're correct though, in that 'Saw' has run its course, but to be honest, the old 'Living Dead' apocalyse hasn't much new to offer either TBH.

Also, I think that 'The Blair Witch Project' ws one of the biggest hot air baloons in cinema history.

Brian the dog sums it up perfectly...

"They're in the woods. The camera keeps moving around. I guess they're looking for some witch, I don't know, I wasn't listening. Nothing's happening...nothing's happening...nothing's happening...something about a map. Nothing's happening...it's over. A lot of people in the audience look pissed."

bassman
12-Nov-2009, 01:25 PM
In addition, the main attraction for most people to a zombie movie isn't the plot...it's the gore.

I'd have to disagree with you there. If you think about the average movie-goer and zombie movies, they usually root for or against the characters and then in turn the gore is rated as related to their connection. People cheer if the "bad guy" is gutted, they sigh or scream if a "good guy" is taken down, etc. And that of course is all related to the plot.

Tricky special effects are a bit of an added bonus, though.

slickwilly13
12-Nov-2009, 03:32 PM
I think that 'The Blair Witch Project' ws one of the biggest hot air baloons in cinema history.

Brian the dog sums it up perfectly...

"They're in the woods. The camera keeps moving around. I guess they're looking for some witch, I don't know, I wasn't listening. Nothing's happening...nothing's happening...nothing's happening...something about a map. Nothing's happening...it's over. A lot of people in the audience look pissed."

That's how I feel. Anyone on this forum with their drunk and/or stoned friends could have made that movie. Why the fuck would anyone end a movie with some jackass w/ his nose in the corner like some kid who got in trouble? Because the Blair Witch told him? Fuck that.

Danny
12-Nov-2009, 03:44 PM
That's how I feel. Anyone on this forum with their drunk and/or stoned friends could have made that movie. Why the fuck would anyone end a movie with some jackass w/ his nose in the corner like some kid who got in trouble? Because the Blair Witch told him? Fuck that.

because thats what the killer who lived there made his victims do, one stood in the corner whilst he killed the other kid. Doesnt prove a solid ending really, but there is set up for it in the townsfolk interviews and the documentary.

MoonSylver
12-Nov-2009, 04:15 PM
Wasn't too pushed on 'Dead Set'.

Mmmm...eh...to each their own. :) I found the last 1/2 hour of it to be particularly gripping, edge-of-the-seat, what's gonna happen next tense.

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2009, 05:02 PM
Mmmm...eh...to each their own. :) I found the last 1/2 hour of it to be particularly gripping, edge-of-the-seat, what's gonna happen next tense.
*high five*

When it all goes horribly wrong I was utterly gripped to the edge of my seat, my heart in my mouth, and it was just so perfectly pulled off, that ending. Brilliant way to go out with a big ass, blood-geisering, thrilling and even thoughtful bang.

deadpunk
12-Nov-2009, 11:53 PM
As for the whole "torture porn" argument, I don't buy it at all, and seems particularly snobby coming from horror fans in general. Sure, you're totally entitled to not like it, but bemoaning "teh pe0plz R gettin hurtz!" just strikes me as hypocritical considering the horror genre in general.

I would have agreed with this statement as a general rule if I had not been treated to Hostel. God, what a load of gore crap that was. Titties, murder, titties, murder, murder the titties... That was most ridiculous excuse for a movie I ever saw. :rant:

blind2d
13-Nov-2009, 12:50 AM
You actually saw Hostel... intentionally? I feel sorry for you... but what do I know, I'm a 70-year-old dwarf.

deadpunk
13-Nov-2009, 01:06 AM
You actually saw Hostel... intentionally? I feel sorry for you... but what do I know, I'm a 70-year-old dwarf.

It was a friend's turn to pick. :annoyed:

Danny
13-Nov-2009, 01:21 AM
It was a friend's turn to pick. :annoyed:

i learnt to plan not only my choice, but work around possible friends choices to avoid another fiasco like fucking mirrors.

clanglee
13-Nov-2009, 01:31 AM
You know. . I kind of liked Hostel. Granted, it was over the top gross, but I enjoyed the style of the movie. Just like Cabin Fever, it was a shallow and gross movie, but one with great style and quirkiness. I love the pancake kid in CF and the little bubblegum gang in Hostel.

Danny
13-Nov-2009, 01:37 AM
You know. . I kind of liked Hostel. Granted, it was over the top gross, but I enjoyed the style of the movie. Just like Cabin Fever, it was a shallow and gross movie, but one with great style and quirkiness. I love the pancake kid in CF and the little bubblegum gang in Hostel.

see i dont know why cabin fever has a bad rep. i got the dvd free in a wholesale of flicks off ebay and never watched it, then was doing some college shit years back and caught it on tv, and whilst it was nothing special, it seemed to me like some random people in a house hiding form something, like an american dog soldiers, i mean i saw it once barely so i probably missed something but whats the problem with that film that it has such a foul reputation?

clanglee
13-Nov-2009, 02:13 AM
see i dont know why cabin fever has a bad rep. i got the dvd free in a wholesale of flicks off ebay and never watched it, then was doing some college shit years back and caught it on tv, and whilst it was nothing special, it seemed to me like some random people in a house hiding form something, like an american dog soldiers, i mean i saw it once barely so i probably missed something but whats the problem with that film that it has such a foul reputation?

I dunno, I liked it. It was nothing new per se, but I enjoyed it. .

deadpunk
13-Nov-2009, 02:25 AM
I thought Cabin Fever was decent. It sure wasn't the worst thing I'd ever seen.

It has that reputation because it has three bad qualities:

1. The cast sucked. Some of the worst acting I have ever seen. :hurl:

2. It was predictable as hell. After 15 minutes, you knew exactly where it was going.

3. The plot was cheesy. Not Evil Dead intentional cheesy, the other kind.

It had some pretty good moments though. :D

Danny
13-Nov-2009, 02:28 AM
i dont know, i think eli roth flicks have the same type of problem as the davinchi code stuff, it has such a bad reputation most people wont even consider it as anything but shit without looking into it themselves.

-though i do think dan browns books are shit from past experience, but the metaphor stands, sometimes a thing is "cool" to hate, even if people dont know why.

-to add the double whammy, its like the antithesis of dollhouse, which was an incredibly poor television show, but even after hating episode 1 youll give it two more because its joss whedon. :lol:

shootemindehead
13-Nov-2009, 09:03 AM
I'd have to disagree with you there. If you think about the average movie-goer and zombie movies, they usually root for or against the characters and then in turn the gore is rated as related to their connection. People cheer if the "bad guy" is gutted, they sigh or scream if a "good guy" is taken down, etc. And that of course is all related to the plot.

Tricky special effects are a bit of an added bonus, though.

That's not an issue really. The average movie-goer doesn't "do" zombie flicks in general.

I'm old enough to remember the tail-end of 70's-80's zombie cycle, kicked off by the...ahem...notoriously gory 'Dawn of the Dead' (where flesh chomping and exploding heads were onscreen before were even knew the names of characters). The likes of 'Zombie Flesh Eaters', 'The Beyond' or 'Zombie Creeping Flesh' didn't attract viewers because of their characters or plot...it was the gore (inspired by Romero's 1978 gore-fest).

And for a long time, that WAS the promise of the average zombie movie.

Most "average movie-goers" still think that zombie flicks are filled with dumb plots, bad acting and tons of flesh eating gore. The reason for this is that that is what they were sold on and for a long time, that's what they contained. The very premise is "flesh eating" by rotting corpses. A taboo that is perhaps blase now, but when the zombie film was in it's hayday, it was truly upsetting and objectionable for many people.

The corner was probably turned in the 2000's though, when gore simply isn't enough to attract the horror fan any more, as the gore make-up effects in most movies far outstrip the level that was par the course in the 70's-80's and it's far more prevalent these days.

kortick
13-Nov-2009, 06:43 PM
I cant remember the last horror movie
that i found 'scary'
That doesnt mean I havent seen movies that
I enjoyed a lot, but as far as sitting there
in the theater frightened, its been a long time.

I have read books that I can honestly say
creeped the hell out of me.

But I dont give up hoping that there
is a movie out there that will frighten.

deadpunk
14-Nov-2009, 03:39 AM

My first Stephen King read was Cujo. I think I was maybe 12? The opening bit, with the monster under the bed... I don't think I slept for a week. :D

Minerva_Zombi
23-Nov-2009, 06:14 AM
The Blair Witch Project - One of the scariest movies period.

Paranormal Activity - Very realistic. So much that it just gives the creeps thinking about it.

[REC] - The last 20 minutes or so is just extremely intense.

28 Days Later - A perfect look at the end of the world. Which is must scarier to me than infected monsters.

Silent Hill - Great video game adaptation. Very intense movie.

kidgloves
01-Dec-2009, 10:12 PM
The Blair Witch Project - One of the scariest movies period.

Paranormal Activity - Very realistic. So much that it just gives the creeps thinking about it.

[REC] - The last 20 minutes or so is just extremely intense.

28 Days Later - A perfect look at the end of the world. Which is must scarier to me than infected monsters.

Silent Hill - Great video game adaptation. Very intense movie.

It seems that we have similar tastes my friend.
Paranormal Activity has totally done me. As did Blair Witch before it and other POV/cam movies.

Mike70
01-Dec-2009, 10:18 PM
it's not a movie but that show "hoarders" on A&E puts the creeps on me for sure. that freaks me out in ways that horror could never do.

blind2d
02-Dec-2009, 01:58 AM
Hoarders, you say? Hmmm....... intriguing....
Side: how come no one ever goes on the IM anymore?

deadpunk
02-Dec-2009, 03:23 AM
Hoarders is too disturbing to be enjoyable, imo. :barf:

Minerva_Zombi
03-Dec-2009, 05:00 AM
It seems that we have similar tastes my friend.
Paranormal Activity has totally done me. As did Blair Witch before it and other POV/cam movies.

absolutely. pov movies when they're done right are really scary to me. its like something youd see on youtube or an a&e special. it looks real, so its easier to digest as reality. but when its done badly (Zombie Diaries, Cloverfield, etc.) it just becomes a distraction.

Tricky
14-Dec-2009, 10:40 AM

Stephen Kings "IT" did that for me (the book), especially the part with the kid who puts dead animals in that old fridge & he opens it to find all those flying leech things in there :eek:

DjfunkmasterG
22-Dec-2009, 09:37 AM

I think SW summed up my opinion of TBWP for me. What a fucking disappointment that flick was, and I bought into the hype like the masses.

When Paranormal came out I said screw this I am not going through that again. It looked Blair Witchy and my suspicions were confirmed by numerous friends who were suckered into seeing it. Kudo's to the guys who made both films though... Between them they made $300,000,000 at the US Box office.

soundsystem654
26-Dec-2009, 12:17 AM
paranormal activity was scary. not a very scary movie, but a really good recent zombie flick is zombie land. great movie

deadpunk
26-Dec-2009, 01:18 AM
paranormal activity was scary. not a very scary movie, but a really good recent zombie flick is zombie land. great movie

^what a cunt :lol: Fucking spammers!

MoonSylver
26-Dec-2009, 03:47 AM
^what a cunt :lol: Fucking spammers!

"Welcome aboard! Hope to see you around the forums!" *rubs hands in anticipation of the EXCELLENT posts to follow*...:lol:

soundsystem654
26-Dec-2009, 04:17 AM
ouch. but i just watched tokyo zombie for the first time, that is also a good movie