PDA

View Full Version : George A. Romero's "Bruiser"

JDFP
14-Nov-2009, 03:58 AM
Dad and I watched this flick earlier today, and I just wanted to express a few thoughts on it...

My God, this was a bad movie. It was just bad. Dad fell asleep half-way through and I watched the rest of it feeling upset and overly disappointed. The Great Romero did this? How is it possible that George could have watched this "finished" product and not say: "This is bad." Please tell me that the producers of this film tied his hands or did something to keep him from really shooting the film that he wanted to make with this?

The movie does present a very unique and interesting perspective with a man waking up with a mask that has covered his face that he is unable to remove. He's an extremely weak character, unable to truly express his emotions/feelings and act on the world around him. He's basically sold his soul for his job and career, not really caring about anything or having the guts to stand up to anyone around him. With the mask becoming part of him, he is finally able to release his feelings and emotions by seeking "revenge" against those who have wronged him. Sounds like a good idea for a film, and I'd love to see this properly done...

What made this even worse for me was watching this after recently seeing "Knightriders" for the first time. I thought "Knightriders" was an amazing film, and one of the best films I've ever really seen for it's ability to capture such passion. The final scene where Ed Harris is riding across the road outstide of the Gettysburg battlefield is one of the most powerful scenes of any film I've ever seen. "Knightriders" was an incredibly well done film with heart, soul, and spirit shining throughout it. It's a damned good movie and entertaining all around. And then to follow-up watching this with then seeing "Bruiser"? Oh My.

But this movie, it was just really bad. It won't take away from my respect for Romero and his other great films in the least, but this was just a major disappointment for me. Why, George, just why?

j.p.

SymphonicX
14-Nov-2009, 10:09 AM
There were two things that made the movie bad...

First was the lead character - English guy who's name escapes me (he was in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels)...his "American" accent is terrible...in fact his acting is pretty terrible throughout...and he really made the film unwatchable.

Next up was the chinese model chick, who gets her crowning "line" when she's in the pool...now that was someone who should never have been auditioning, let along cast in a movie...that was a real mistake. I could have parted my ass cheeks and made a better, more convincing performance.

Those two elements, changed or removed, would have made for quite an interesting film. However it loses its way near the end, and the climatic scene leaves a lot to be desired. This movie was meant to be about identity, not a slasher film like it looks on the box...they totally missed the point on marketing - but what nails it in the coffin is the weak performances from almost every actor, but especially those two above.

I waited years to see it, as it was very hard to find over here...and man, it felt like a TV movie at best, and really didn't deliver.

However I LOVED the scene where he wakes up for the first time to find the mask. That was awesome...I loved George's use of radio again, using the media to progress his plot, in the same way that Martin did. I love the main character's little fantasies (I mean, who hasn't thought about pushing that faceless, arrogant bitch under a train when she barges in front of you??)

All round disappointing, but some interesting moments...definitely a curiosity piece more than anything. Romero has actually made some OK movies since the holy trilogy (monkey shines, dark half, etc) but unfortunately this isn't one of them.

capncnut
14-Nov-2009, 03:54 PM
Jason Flemying is a lot like Tim Roth. Bloody good actor but can't do an American accent for shit.

SymphonicX
14-Nov-2009, 04:04 PM
Jason Flemying is a lot like Tim Roth. Bloody good actor but can't do an American accent for shit.

That's him...! Jason Flemying....argh.

Philly_SWAT
16-Nov-2009, 01:50 AM
The movie does present a very unique and interesting perspective with a man waking up with a mask that has covered his face that he is unable to remove.

Perhaps you already realize this and just didnt mention it, but I am pretty sure that by the end of the movie, you are supposed to realize that there wasnt a REAL mask there at any time.

krakenslayer
16-Nov-2009, 11:13 AM
I've never seen Bruiser. I keep meaning to import it from the US; for some reason it was never released in the UK theatrically or on any home format whatsoever! Even in the nine years since its release: nothing! :eek:

darth los
16-Nov-2009, 06:05 PM
and man, it felt like a TV movie at best, and really didn't deliver.

I could copy and paste that to describe Land and Diary as well.

:cool:

SymphonicX
18-Nov-2009, 09:11 AM
@ los: I agree Diary is nothing short of a TV movie but Land blatantly has a look and feel above that of a TV movie...Land feels like a mid-budget horror movie...which it was.

BillyRay
18-Nov-2009, 03:22 PM
SymphonicX, I have to respectfully disagree.

Land plays like a 2-hr pilot for a weekly mid-budget series about the crew of the Dead Reckoning. Travelling cross-country, doing good deeds, killin' zombies, and maybe learning something about each other along the way.

SyFy, you listening? :elol:

SymphonicX
18-Nov-2009, 05:03 PM
SymphonicX, I have to respectfully disagree.

Land plays like a 2-hr pilot for a weekly mid-budget series about the crew of the Dead Reckoning. Travelling cross-country, doing good deeds, killin' zombies, and maybe learning something about each other along the way.

SyFy, you listening? :elol:

LOL....I had to laugh at that...!!!! could hear the dawson's creek theme tune playing in my head

Your respectful disagreement is respectfully noted :)

Neil
20-Nov-2009, 07:58 AM
Never got around to watching Bruiser... The reviews put me off...

clanglee
21-Nov-2009, 01:10 AM
I havn't seen it in a long long time, but I remember liking Bruiser. But that movie is also how I met my wife, so I might be biased.