PDA

View Full Version : A Monster Mash.

deadpunk
15-Nov-2009, 03:23 AM
I had a conversation today that went like this:

Other guy: "Is a mummy a zombie?"

Me: "No. Mummy's don't eat human flesh or infect people."

Other guy: "So, what the fuck is a mummy, then?"

Me: "How should I know? I don't like mummies. There hsn't been a decent mummy movie since fucking Boris Karloff died."

Other guy: "Then what do you like besides zombies?"

Me: "Ummmmmm..."

And I spent the rest of the day pondering that. What do I like besides zombies?

I've never been a huge fan of what capncnut refers to as the supernatural natural killer, such as Jason or Michael Meyers. Not even Freddy. (Look, I have serious trouble taking a monster seriously when he gets his ass handed to him by 'the dream warriors' :sneaky:) Slasher flicks just bore me to death with the predicitability and lack of plot.

I used to b a huge fan of the really old creature feaures. Movies like; The Killer Shrews (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052969/), The Blob (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051418/), The Wasp Woman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054462/) and The Creature from the Black Lagoon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046876/). Man, I remember when I couldn't get enough of those. But, they rarely scared me. And honestly, a man can only take so much black and white footage with stereotyped characters and bad FX.

Vampires...I can go either way. I loved the vampires in 30 Days of Night and even the ones Stephen King idealized for Salem's Lot were pretty decent. But then you look at what movies like that Twilight crap have done to vampires, and it gets kind of hard to take them seriously.

If anyone can point me to a serious horror movie with a werewolf...

I do like a good ghost movie. The Sixth Sense, The Others, The Ring, The Grudge and Poltergeist rank among some of my favorite movies.

You know what movie I liked? The Birds. But, in reality, I only like it because it's very similar to NOTLD. Civilization ges ripped out from under mankind's collective feet by a force that outnumbers them and they are forced to hunker down and wait it out. I think Hitchcock made some thought-provoking movies, but I don't really fall into the mindset that he was a genius. A few of his films really draw me in, most of them cause my attention to wander from boredom.

Alien inspired horror films are a 50/50 shot for me. Alien stands out as a particularly scary movie (although the sequels were straight action films).

So, what do I like besides zombies? :rockbrow:

Who gives a shit?

There are enough good zombie movies, I could stay entertained a long, long time. :D

capncnut
15-Nov-2009, 03:56 AM
I like a ton of stuff but if I have to stick with the horror genre then yeah, vampires are cool. Only a handful of decent movies out there though.

As you know, I don't go much on 'supernatural natural killer' movies. Most of them ain't worth a carat beyond their first offering. That goes for the shitty Hostel and Saw movies too.

I was watching Christopher Lee in Rasputin the other night and it struck me how much of an underrated actor he is. That's got me back on an old Hammer kick so I guess that can be added to the list.

Sci-fi horror is great but again I go for the oldies like The Quatermass Experiment and The Thing, etc.

As for the werewolf film, how about The Company Of Wolves?

MoonSylver
15-Nov-2009, 07:04 AM
Horror? All of the above. I love it all.

Vampires were a fave back in the 90's, but looking back now...ugh...sissified dandies poncing about being "cool" (the latest offender: Twilight)

Love all the old school Slashers for reasons I can't quite pin down, other than they hit the same button for me as, say, the Godzilla series, if that makes sense?

Every B horror movie made in the 80's.

Ghosts are a current fave. Something about the supernatural, something intangible & ethereal, vengeance from beyond the grave, still has the ability to give me a mild case of the creeps.

blind2d
15-Nov-2009, 07:54 PM
I've always thought that American Werewolf in London was a good film... better than Underworld stuff anyway. Hmm... besides zombies......... hmm..... um... er... uh... hm.... yeah.... oh, Jurassic Park.

EvilNed
15-Nov-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey. Dawn of the Mummy was a great mummy-film, and that's from the 80's!

wayzim
15-Nov-2009, 10:05 PM
I like a ton of stuff but if I have to stick with the horror genre then yeah, vampires are cool. Only a handful of decent movies out there though.

As you know, I don't go much on 'supernatural natural killer' movies. Most of them ain't worth a carat beyond their first offering. That goes for the shitty Hostel and Saw movies too.

I was watching Christopher Lee in Rasputin the other night and it struck me how much of an underrated actor he is. That's got me back on an old Hammer kick so I guess that can be added to the list.

Sci-fi horror is great but again I go for the oldies like The Quatermass Experiment and The Thing, etc.

As for the werewolf film, how about The Company Of Wolves?

Here's a website I just googled which has a pretty good inventory of all things lycan.

http://www.werewolf-movies.com/index.php

As for my favs, Werewolf Of London(35) where two werewolves, played by Henry Hull and Warner Oland(the orginal Charlie Chan)fight for a possible cure.
The Wolfman(41) with Lon Chaney Jr, nuff said, it's a classic.
"Even a man whose pure in heart .. "
I was a Teenage Werewolf(57) with Michael Landon(Bonanza, Little House on The Prairie, Highway To Heaven. ) having anger management issues and hair in strange places while ogling pretty gymnasts in leotards.
Curse of The Werewolf(61) starring Oliver Reed as a young spanish foundling who discovers his horrifying inheritance. Highly recommended.
The seventies had loads of lycanthropes on both the small and big screen, including Moon of the Wolf(72) with David Janssen as a sheriff investigating the slaughter of a young black girl in a bayou community. He uncovers class and racial bigotry as well as a tragic family secret.
Both Werewolf of Washington(literally) and The Boy Who Cried Werewolf(both 73) are straight faced parodies of the genre overloaded with symbols of the times ( sorta like the Count Yorga and Bracula films )
The Beast Must Die(74) is a mystery in which a millionaire hunter(Calvin Lockhart )must determine which of his guests is a werewolf.
Death Moon(78) is about a werewolf in paradise, Hawaii.
And let's not forget the Night Stalker episode with the wolfman aboard a cruiseship.
The 80's had two of the best werewolf movies with both Joe Dante's The Howling as well as John Landis' American Werewolf in London, which the former was more memorable to me ( even with a whole slew of largely unrelated Howling sequels )
But other films were Company of Wolves, Ladyhawke ( Rutger Huer gets furry.), Teen Wolf, Silver Bullet (a wheelchair bound Cory Haims discovers wolfish goings on in a small town ), Monster Squad and Fright Night II.
Oh, and lets not forget Michael Jackson howling at the moon in Thriller.
There was only one film in the 90's worth anything, and that was Nicholas Myers (Seven Percent Solution, Wrath of Khan ) incredible werewolf film, Wolf, with Jack Nicholson as an obsolete book editor who turns fierce when bitten by a wolf. This is perhaps the most intelligent take on the subject, ever.
And .. a truly rotten sequel/remake, American Werewolf in Paris where even Julie Delpy can't save this stinker.
To the present, both GingerSnaps and Dog Soldiers have my respects while Wes Cravens The Cursed is too slick and self congratulatory for its own good (even with Christina Ricci. )
Let's hope the new Wolfman redeems the genre.

Wayne Z
"When the moon is full, I become a wolf. "
"Yea, you and twenty million other guys. "
Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein