PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "Shivers"

jded
17-Nov-2009, 08:45 PM
You'd have thought I'd seen this one already due to the length of time it has been around, but I haven't.
Same goes for Rabid but I found a copy yesterday at Hastings and plan to buy it. I just had to make sure it was widescreen. I am so used to this format that I will not purchase anything in full frame ever again.

Why is it that these older films have had a hard time becoming available? It must have been re-released at a later date not long ago yet it is now discontinued. I know damn well I had seen a copy somewhere based on the fact that the cover is so memorable.

At Amazon I noticed 6 new copies for sale, but at a $185 price tag. Is it that obscure? No way I'm paying that much.

Also, why is it that these older Cronenberg films seem to be under the radar, as if someone (maybe David himself) was ashamed of them, or wanted them sort of hidden to a degree that you would never know they were his? I'm not saying that you can't go and find a filmography list, but it's as if these two (Shivers, Rabid) are the ugly stepchild or the disfigured offspring hidden in the basement.

capncnut
17-Nov-2009, 08:52 PM
Saw it for £3 on Play.com a few weeks ago.

clanglee
17-Nov-2009, 09:06 PM
Shivers has been playing often one of the cable movie channels. Great movie that. . . .kinda like sex zombies!!! That's a zombie horde I might just give into.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aDaRwFO8tR4/Siv_TIoZcII/AAAAAAAAAL8/2y591YCj0EY/s400/Shivers+c.JPG

capncnut
17-Nov-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, it's an incredible film and my joint number one Cronenberg flick with Videodrome and eXistenZ.

jded
17-Nov-2009, 09:18 PM
Saw it for £3 on Play.com a few weeks ago. Is this like Ebay in the UK? If so then what's the currency difference, and why would it be going for $185 on Amazon?

Cap, I am not one to buy used merchandise for fear of malfunction and don't care to have someone's second hand item. I am also too leery about the whole Ebay experience. I have yet to use Amazon or Ebay and probably never will.

capncnut
17-Nov-2009, 09:21 PM
Cap, I am not one to buy used merchandise for fear of malfunction and don't care to have someone's second hand item. I am also too leery about the whole Ebay experience. I have yet to use Amazon or Ebay and probably never will.
I have a ton of second hand DVD's that play like new and have done for years. I think the Play.com price was legit because I only paid £5 for Shivers brand new a few years ago.

jded
17-Nov-2009, 09:26 PM
I have a ton of second hand DVD's that play like new and have done for years. I think the Play.com price was legit because I only paid £5 for Shivers brand new a few years ago. Yeah so how much is that in American dollars? Is it a reputable website? I looked at it only briefly.

What channel is this clanglee? I googled Shivers and it looked like maybe I could rent it from Netflix, but I am not a subscriber and I'd rather own it if it's that good like Cap said
Shivers has been playing often one of the cable movie channels. Great movie that. . . .kinda like sex zombies!!! That's a zombie horde I might just give into.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aDaRwFO8tR4/Siv_TIoZcII/AAAAAAAAAL8/2y591YCj0EY/s400/Shivers+c.JPG

capncnut
17-Nov-2009, 09:29 PM
£3 is about $5. Play.com are pretty much on the level, jded.

jded
17-Nov-2009, 09:35 PM
And it's all used copies?
£3 is about $5. Play.com are pretty much on the level, jded.

Like I said I'm going to go buy Rabid too because I found a copy, I just don't get why Shivers is discontinued.
Is it worth my while to purchase Rabid? I read that it's a step up and quite similar to Shivers

capncnut
17-Nov-2009, 09:39 PM
Nope, Play.com sell new and used.

Rabid is excellent and definitely a must own for zombie fans in that 'running towards victim with mouth open and moaning' kind of way. I personally don't think it's as good as Shivers but folks have different opinions. Rabid is a lot bloodier though.

jded
17-Nov-2009, 09:51 PM
OK, so what's up with the $185 at Amazon for a new copy of Shivers, someone looking to take advantage? It is the red covered version, not the one I saw at Play.com.
Nope, Play.com sell new and used.

Rabid is excellent and definitely a must own for zombie fans in that 'running towards victim with mouth open and moaning' kind of way. I personally don't think it's as good as Shivers but folks have different opinions. Rabid is a lot bloodier though.I think I'm going to enjoy Rabid then, sounds good from the way you've described it. It's like I've waited all this time to find something new, but it's been around for so long.

clanglee
17-Nov-2009, 10:31 PM
Make sure its region 1 before you get it from GB. Or make sure your DVD player can play either region. And I think it was on STARZ or something, can't remember.

slickwilly13
17-Nov-2009, 11:56 PM

I agree and that nurse had a nice body on her back in the day. Remember her dressing earlier?

PJoseph
18-Nov-2009, 02:18 AM
I gave my VHS copy of Shivers to Barbara Steele's son ( who I was working with at the time) and he promised to get his mother's signature on it.

That was in 1999.

I'm an optimist though! It's probably in the mail this week.

pJ

jded
18-Nov-2009, 07:33 AM
She's freakin hot! Is she in Shivers? Look's like she's at an indoor pool or something.

Make sure its region 1 before you get it from GB. Or make sure your DVD player can play either region. And I think it was on STARZ or something, can't remember.So is region 1 the standard for the U.S. clanglee? I am unfamiliar with all that.

I have a ton of second hand DVD's that play like new and have done for years. I think the Play.com price was legit because I only paid £5 for Shivers brand new a few years ago.Cap is this the one you have? What may be the difference between this one and the red covered one. I'm thinkin maybe the red boxed one is the discontinued release.

clanglee
18-Nov-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah, here in the U.S. you wanna stick with region 1 unless your DVD player is non region. If that's the case, get whatever. If you buy in the US, you can be sure it's probably Region 1.

jded
18-Nov-2009, 08:01 PM
I am a bit uncertain about these region codes. I pulled up a manual on my DVD player and the information is conflicting. It shows 3 symbol boxes in the region number column, starting with a 1, an ALL, and a 134. Then written below under Region Management Information (DVD only) it says, You can play discs with labels containing the region number "1" and "ALL"
Then above that it says. This unit's region number is "1".

I don't want to buy a region 2 disc and have it not play. What do you think? Anybody...

clanglee
18-Nov-2009, 08:26 PM
sounds like you have a region 1.

jded
18-Nov-2009, 08:41 PM
sounds like you have a region 1.

You think so? Then what would the "ALL" mean?

clanglee
18-Nov-2009, 08:58 PM
Probably DVDs that are made for all regional players, but you might want to ask around on that one just in case.

slickwilly13
18-Nov-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah, she's near an indoor pool. I am not going to spoil it, though. I will mention that she is nude earlier in the movie.

krakenslayer
19-Nov-2009, 12:02 AM
I agree and that nurse had a nice body on her back in the day. Remember her dressing earlier?

Yeah, the nurse was also whatserface... the incest daughter who gets fingered by Frankenstein in The Crazies, wasn't she?

clanglee
19-Nov-2009, 12:23 AM
Yeah, the nurse was also whatserface... the incest daughter who gets fingered by Frankenstein in The Crazies, wasn't she?

Yes indeedy.

jded
19-Nov-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah, she's near an indoor pool. I am not going to spoil it, though. I will mention that she is nude earlier in the movie.Yeah, well I may never get to see it! The region 1 directors cut is discontinued and the region 2, well... I don't got the freakin player to begin with (as far as I know so far). I'll have to go scroungin around town and visit all the places that sell movies, Best Buy, Barnes n' Noble, Borders, etc. Wish me luck.

slickwilly13
19-Nov-2009, 02:58 PM
Ebay.

http://dvd.shop.ebay.com/DVDs-Movies-/11232/i.html?_nkw=shivers&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Is this the same Cronenberg who played the villian on Nightbreed?

MoonSylver
19-Nov-2009, 03:25 PM
Ebay.

http://dvd.shop.ebay.com/DVDs-Movies-/11232/i.html?_nkw=shivers&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Is this the same Cronenberg who played the villian on Nightbreed?

The same. Guy has had a long & varied career that's for sure.

kortick
21-Nov-2009, 04:08 PM
I beleive it is going to be reissuied again.

They re released Rabid not long ago.

To me Rabid and Shivers are the ultimate Cronenberg.

His later stuff is great of course, but these 2 were his
first ones and they really went out there.

Shivers was titled They Came From Within at first
and cuz it was paid for partly by a grant from the
Canadian government, and had such a highly sexual
element to it, it caused him problems.

It has been playing regularly on movie channels lately.

i think i watched it like 5 times in the last month and a half.

And I bought plenty of stuff from Ebay and Amazon so
if u see it for a good price from a seller with a good rating
then grab it.