PDA

View Full Version : Are these worth watching

jded
24-Nov-2009, 07:40 PM
Was flipping through HorrorHound on my latest visit to Hastings and wrote these down. The magazine had a piece on the best 20 from the last ten years or something. Don't remember the title exactly but it included some I had seen and some I have not.

Here's what I compiled of the one's I have yet to see, and based on the synopsis sounded interesting.

REC

Let the Right One in

May

Inside

Discuss if you'd like to.

clanglee
24-Nov-2009, 09:17 PM
A very very big yes to all of those. May is a bit funky, but very unsettling. Inside was just plain disturbling, REC is chock full of awesomeness, and Let The Right One In is one of the best movies I have ever seen in the genre. Get them, watch them, enjoy.

SymphonicX
24-Nov-2009, 09:43 PM
I've only seen REC but I can definitely vouch for it. Worthy of more praise than Blair Witch, Diary and Cloverfield put together...!

Mike70
24-Nov-2009, 10:05 PM
A very very big yes to all of those. May is a bit funky, but very unsettling. Inside was just plain disturbling, REC is chock full of awesomeness, and Let The Right One In is one of the best movies I have ever seen in the genre. Get them, watch them, enjoy.

word.

REC and let the right one in are the better of the 4. check those out first. both are damn good flicks. hell, let the right one in is flat out the shizz and like clang, i think it's one of the best films i've seen in eons.

capncnut
24-Nov-2009, 10:59 PM
A big phat YES to all except Inside only because I haven't seen it.

clanglee
25-Nov-2009, 02:40 AM
Inside is the weakest of the bunch, but still quite effective. At it's core it's just a crazy lady terrorizing a pregnant lady, but the director was able to pull off some good stuff. Very bloody and gory too, which is a plus.

jded
25-Nov-2009, 05:49 PM
Thank's a bunch dudes! Now I am for certain. I needed a couple second opinions. Your enthusiasm plus the magazines recommendation sealed the deal. I'll look to rent all of these in the future.

MikePizzoff
29-Nov-2009, 07:52 PM
I've had Let The Right One In on my Netflix instant queue on my XBOX for quite some time now. Never watched it because I was unsure... however, now that I've read the words of you guys - I gotta view it ASAP.

REC is a great movie - pretty creepy in some parts.

krakenslayer
29-Nov-2009, 09:12 PM
I've seen Let the Right One In.

It's good.

That is all. :)

jded
30-Nov-2009, 07:38 PM
Well, 1 down and 3 to go. I watched REC last night and I will say it is excellent. A 1/4 of the way through I had a feeling it was not going to deliver the goods, but then like a rollercoaster ride at the top of the first drop it hesitated, kicked in and BANG! Fucking floored me!

I have only one tiny criticism, and that is with the english dubbing. If I were hispanic I am sure I would have marked it as a masterpiece, but the more I pay attention to the lips of the actors, the more I become aware that a whole set of other actors had to lay down an english language track. I think it's impossible to match the two exactly, without losing something along the way. After watching it in english I went back and looked at a few scenes with the original spanish track and found that the pace was off. The english dubbing was much more sped up as it came across from the "stand in" audio actors. You could tell there was a sense of urgency in their voices that was not always present in the original spanish track. There was a more calm, and laid back approach in the spanish actor performances that was not felt if you viewed it first in english. Quite possibly the director may have never had much involvement with the mix, resulting in the dubbing cast not connecting with the character properly.

This film is one that is quite difficult to talk about without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it. So if your reading this and still contemplating whether it's worth the rental, I say hell yes. Watch this film! You won't regret the decision.

MikePizzoff
01-Dec-2009, 08:48 AM
jded - That's why I prefer not to watch dubbed films; I'd much rather read subtitles and get the true sense of emotion from the sound of the original actors voice.

slickwilly13
01-Dec-2009, 02:33 PM
I have watched May and Rec. May, I did not care for. Rec was great. Even with subtitles.

bassman
01-Dec-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm one of the few that doesn't see the appeal in Let The Right One In. To me it definitely wasn't the earth shattering event that everyone made it out to be.

It wasn't bad....just nothing special.:shifty:

Danny
01-Dec-2009, 03:31 PM
jded - That's why I prefer not to watch dubbed films; I'd much rather read subtitles and get the true sense of emotion from the sound of the original actors voice.

dubs should be wiped form the earth with an orbital laser and never spoken of again.

jded
01-Dec-2009, 11:16 PM
Exactly! That in a nutshell explains it perfectly. All of the aspects of that character are expressed by the actor and cannot be duplicated. The emotion get's lost, but then I don't enjoy too much having to read while I'm in the process of watching. On the other hand it lends the option of seeing it again in a whole new way. It almost makes me want to consider learning a different language.

dubs should be wiped form the earth with an orbital laser and never spoken of again.
:rant: :rant: :rant: Yeah I feel you man. I can't stand them either unless there in a kung fu movie where they come across as rather funny. And then subtitles without dubs is even worse. I gave up on finishing Daywatch or maybe it was Nightwatch because of the absence of one or the other. Can't remember exactly which one but it truly pissed me off! :annoyed:

I'm one of the few that doesn't see the appeal in Let The Right One In. To me it definitely wasn't the earth shattering event that everyone made it out to be.

It wasn't bad....just nothing special.:shifty:
Yes, I watched it last night and kind of felt the same way. My expectations were not all met. I must have been anticipating something else entirely, because it just didn't stand out and scream, "look at me and ye shall be convinced that this is horror." It did however come together in the end as a neat little package wrapped with care that underneath held that special adolescent love story between boy and girl, even if that girl was horrific at times. The innocence coupled with the affliction of both characters moved me regardless of whether or not it needed more violence or wished to be perceived as a terrible progression from childhood to adulthood.

Oh man and didn't that first bleeding by the caretaker make you extremely uncomfortable?
I too loved the way they hinted at the true age of Eli through facial morphing or some kind of camera manipulation. It seemed like she went from young to old in some scenes, or maybe they used two actors.
And I usually don't hang around for the end credits but there is some beautiful music to keep you company, so I stayed put and listened.

Ghost Of War
02-Dec-2009, 07:34 AM
I absolutely loved Let The Right One In. I knew it wasn't a run-of-the-mil horror going into it, so I turned off my expectations, and I think if I hadn't have done that I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. It's such a great looking film to watch.

As for the others the OP mentioned, the only one I haven't seen is May. [REC] is just awesome, and Inside isn't bad, not great but worth a watch IMO.

bassman
02-Dec-2009, 11:58 AM
One film that dubbs work with is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Everyone but the three leads were dubbed and somehow I think it works. Maybe it's because I've been watching that film since I was a kid and it's almost like a nostalgic thing, but I think it doesn't hurt the film in any way :rockbrow:

DubiousComforts
02-Dec-2009, 09:02 PM
It did however come together in the end as a neat little package wrapped with care that underneath held that special adolescent love story between boy and girl, even if that girl was horrific at times.
Actually, Eli is a boy.

The problem with the US subtitled version of Let The Right One In is that it's been dumbed down and doesn't convey certain points of the story very well. The theatrical version subtitles are spot-on.

One film that dubbs work with is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Everyone but the three leads were dubbed and somehow I think it works. Maybe it's because I've been watching that film since I was a kid and it's almost like a nostalgic thing, but I think it doesn't hurt the film in any way :rockbrow:
I agree and it's mainly because those productions were not only shot to be re-dubbed in English (although Leone like Argento is mainly a visual director) but also because films from that era utilized professionals that were well experienced in the craft of dubbing.

jded
03-Dec-2009, 12:10 AM
Actually, Eli is a boy.
Are you absolutely positive about that? Because it sure felt like Eli was meant to be a girl, and I had no reason to believe otherwise except for when Eli is hugged by Oskar and Eli asks him if he'd still "like" if "she" was a (?), and then again in bed Eli mentions "I'm not a girl" when Oskar asks to go steady. My explanation for the (?) is that I took it to mean, I am not a girl but something very different and it is a secret for now because I can't manage to tell you that I am a savage killing vampire.

You are right though Dubious, there is some faulty representation when it comes to the english dubbed version because the voice that is dubbed for Eli is much more like that of a girl than a boy. In the original Swedish track Eli's voice is much more manly or boyish. Now in the behind the scenes footage you can plainly see that there is at least one girl related to Eli's part. It is evident during one of the takes in the swimming pool.

There is some kind of androgenous element going on in the film but it's beyond me to understand it completely. Maybe they felt we as Americans could not handle the true vision of the story so we needed some kind of clarification added to our version.
Well, either way maybe it was up for us to determine and left ambiguous for a reason.
I made my conclusion and my mind filtered it according to me.