PDA

View Full Version : CREEPSHOW on disc

triste realtà
17-Dec-2009, 02:42 AM
There are three options, maybe more. The WB 1999 disc has a horrible picture and it jumps all over the screen but it is the only unmatted one available. The AB R2 has great picture and sound but is matted and more than it should be: 1.66 vs 1.85. The new R1 Bluray is matted, I think, and has 192k audio.:stunned: Did they just upscale the 1999 DVD?

My problem is I am trying to replace the dubbed crotch line. I took the audio from the deleted scenes on youtube but when I denoise it, it doesn't match up cause it sounds terrible. I have searched for a watch it online version of the R2 disc but can't find one although I have found all the extras on youtube, even the commentary. Will someone please record their R2 DVD to a wav (or extract that cell's AC3 if so advanced) and send me the line from "Emily Van Buren" to "Excuse me" if she does in fact say cunt on the R2? I will stretch and equalize as necessary. I found a way to just redub the 4 minute cell and replace with Vobblanker instead of having to de and remux the entire movie.

I could send you the opening Mozart song from Father's Day in return in wav format if you want it although that might require a P2P connection or a devinylnoised and mastered mp3 of Don't Let Go.

As Wentworth says in Something to Tide You Over: "HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPP!!! HELP HELP HELP!!!!!"

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Now that I think about it, why does he call him Wentworth and then later Harry?

SymphonicX
17-Dec-2009, 06:37 AM
You know, I always knew there was an overdub on that section - but never knew about the deleted scene, and I have Creepshow on disc too...the R1, but it might seem that there's a better version knocking around - either that or I've seen the deleted scenes and just don't remember them.

I love Adrienne in that segment, an awesome performance, and still makes me laugh when hal Holbrook shoots her in the head just at the bit you mentioned.

krakenslayer
17-Dec-2009, 09:16 AM
I have always noticed the "crotch" overdub, and it's clear, from reading her lips, what she really said. But I've seen the R2 DVD and I'm fairly sure she didn't say "cunt" in that version either. Sadly I don't own it (I have the 1999 DVD, which would be perfectly fine for me on my little 22" monitor if it wasn't for the lack of extras) so I can't rip it for you, but that's what I remember. I could be wrong, I guess.

bassman
17-Dec-2009, 11:57 AM
Just out of curiosity.....anybody know somewhere I can view the special features from the R2 release? Apparently they're never going to put it out here.:dead:

No special edition, yet it's out on a crappy transfer Blu Ray.:rolleyes:

axlish
17-Dec-2009, 12:00 PM
Give me the time code, and I'll check. If she says cunt, I'll rip it for you.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Just out of curiosity.....anybody know somewhere I can view the special features from the R2 release? Apparently they're never going to put it out here.:dead:

No special edition, yet it's out on a crappy transfer Blu Ray.:rolleyes:

The Blu-ray is crisp, and has the look of a brand new movie. Who told you that BS?

bassman
17-Dec-2009, 12:01 PM
Give me the time code, and I'll check. If she says cunt, I'll rip it for you.

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

The Blu-ray is crisp, and has the look of a brand new movie. Who told you that BS?

I had read some reviews saying it's the same as the ol R1 release and the image is crap.:confused:

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2009, 12:28 PM
I've got the R1 bugger-all-extras DVD, as well as the double disc R2 edition (great making of doc on it btw) ... will have a gander myself.

Doesn't Adrienne Barbeau say "cunt" in her segment of the film?

krakenslayer
17-Dec-2009, 01:02 PM
I've got the R1 bugger-all-extras DVD, as well as the double disc R2 edition (great making of doc on it btw) ... will have a gander myself.

Doesn't Adrienne Barbeau say "cunt" in her segment of the film?

She says "cunt" but its overdubbed with "crotch".

capncnut
17-Dec-2009, 01:57 PM
She says 'cunt' on my VHS.

krakenslayer
17-Dec-2009, 02:06 PM
She says 'cunt' on my VHS.

Really? Which version do you have? Is that the pre-cert one? I've got the UK 4front VHS, and she says a badly overdubbed "crotch":

http://images.google.co.uk/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/cover%2520scans/creepshow.jpg&usg=AFQjCNH8MqQZ71IsoULQiSdMXw0-FlkQkw

She says the same on the R1 1999 DVD I own, and I think she also says it on the R2 DVD.

capncnut
17-Dec-2009, 02:10 PM
This (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CREEPSHOW-PRE-CERT-INTERVISION-1982-HORROR-VHS-PAL_W0QQitemZ380117980767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DVD _Film_TV_Videos?hash=item5880cc165f) one.

krakenslayer
17-Dec-2009, 02:16 PM
This (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CREEPSHOW-PRE-CERT-INTERVISION-1982-HORROR-VHS-PAL_W0QQitemZ380117980767QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DVD _Film_TV_Videos?hash=item5880cc165f) one.

That's really interesting. I wonder if the original cinema version had "crotch" or "cunt". I'm guessing "crotch" since it was certified "AA" in the old ratings system (equivalent to a soft "15" today) and they were much stricter on language, particularly that word, back then.

It could be that Intervision had access to an uncensored print that is now lost (unless it turns out that the R2 DVD really does have the word "cunt" in it, and I missed it, or it shows up on some weird Jap release or something).

capncnut
17-Dec-2009, 02:22 PM
Well censorship was less strict pre 1984 (Mary fucking Whitehouse :mad:) so they might've had an uncensored print. I'm not 100% sure mind because I havent checked it. But I do remember being shocked by the word 'cunt' in Creepshow, as well as E.G. Marshall's barrage of cursing.

I have all the Intervisions: Night, Dawn (quite a unique version, the UK theatrical, which is a blend of Theatrical and Euro over 120 minutes), Creepshow, etc. They are really nice to have.

krakenslayer
17-Dec-2009, 02:35 PM
Well censorship was less strict pre 1984 (Mary fucking Whitehouse :mad:) so they might've had an uncensored print. I'm not 100% sure mind because I havent checked it. But I do remember being shocked by the word 'cunt' in Creepshow, as well as E.G. Marshall's barrage of cursing.

I have all the Intervisions: Night, Dawn (quite a unique version, the UK theatrical, which is a blend of Theatrical and Euro over 120 minutes), Creepshow, etc. They are really nice to have.

Yeah, things were less strict in the sense that companies could release home videos unrated, without submitting them to the BBFC, so you could get away with a lot more, but things were still pretty strict in the actual cinemas - even Dawn of the Dead was cut to shit to get a theatrical X rating.

I've wanted to see the Intervision Dawn version for a while now, I might try and track down a copy.

SymphonicX
17-Dec-2009, 02:42 PM
There was a 4-front version of dawn of the dead that had no gore in it...I shit you not. Its basically an MTV version of the movie. It was the first I ever saw too, and was absolutely horrified when I saw the full version by the time I was 15...!!!

Entertainment in Video also did a very cut down version, the 4-front version was this, but re-edited to remove more gore than before. Unreal!

If anyone's interested, the version was released around 1996 and had a gold trim around the outside of the cover....definitely worth a look :)

capncnut
17-Dec-2009, 03:23 PM
There was a 4-front version of dawn of the dead that had no gore in it...I shit you not.
Yeah, that one I had to keep for the giggles.

The only major gore scenes to stay in were the helicopter gag and Stephen's headshot. Of course there were various headshots still kept in but they were not the messiest of the bunch. Virtually everything big was removed. For example, the 107 basement clean-up was two gun shots long. :D

SymphonicX
17-Dec-2009, 05:03 PM
Exactly...no amputees by the trucks, Roger doesn't get his leg "fingered" by the girl in red...man so much was missing! No guts at the end, no blood pressure machine, no decaptitation of mannequin by Tom on the sidecar!!! Much less machete zombie...And this was the version I saw age 13 and fell in love with, only when I really started to geek out on it did I realise just how much extra footage there was from both this, the cannes and argento versions...I ended up seeing it in stages, with a little more gore and drama each time.

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2009, 05:45 PM
Damn man, just looked at that segment on my R2 2-disc DVD (at one hour in exactly) - and yeah, "crotch" is overdubbed. I never noticed that before.

They reference it in the commentary (which I listened to twice :p - guess my attention isn't so great :D) ... they say in the Work Print that there is "cunt" used, but not in the released version - "it's always been that way", so sayeth the commentary moderator.

bassman
17-Dec-2009, 06:39 PM
Just for everyone's information.....the documentary that is on the R2 release of creepshow is on youtube. I finally found it. So for you folks in the US, it's available for a viewing.

I'm not posting a link as i'm not sure it would be acceptable. Although it isn't the actual film, so I dunno.:rockbrow: Mods?

krakenslayer
17-Dec-2009, 06:42 PM
Damn man, just looked at that segment on my R2 2-disc DVD (at one hour in exactly) - and yeah, "crotch" is overdubbed. I never noticed that before.

They reference it in the commentary (which I listened to twice :p - guess my attention isn't so great :D) ... they say in the Work Print that there is "cunt" used, but not in the released version - "it's always been that way", so sayeth the commentary moderator.

...which makes it all the more interesting that Capn swears his pre-cert UK VHS has the offending word. I'm now wondering if that version might actually have some other footage from the workprint in it, like the extended doctor's visit, etc. Cap?

MinionZombie
17-Dec-2009, 07:45 PM
...which makes it all the more interesting that Capn swears his pre-cert UK VHS has the offending word. I'm now wondering if that version might actually have some other footage from the workprint in it, like the extended doctor's visit, etc. Cap?
It's interesting really. This R2 2-disc DVD is rated 15, and they do say "cunt" in the commentary at that scene ... weird, eh?

krakenslayer
17-Dec-2009, 07:57 PM
It's interesting really. This R2 2-disc DVD is rated 15, and they do say "cunt" in the commentary at that scene ... weird, eh?

I think they are allowed to use the word in a 15 rated film nowadays as long as it's not overused or gratuitous. One example is Ed's introduction in Shaun of the Dead which was rated 15 despite his use of "cunt".

If you think about it, "cunt" would actually work better in the scene. Billie is supposed to be acting in a shocking and inappropriate way, in polite company, to the point that several of the people she is in conversation with actually turn around and leave, humiliating Henry.

Andy
17-Dec-2009, 08:19 PM
Im pretty sure they only rate the main feature and not the extra's.

krakenslayer
17-Dec-2009, 08:23 PM

Nah, they rate everything on the disc by law. There's even instances where the extras have warranted the DVD to be rated at a higher level that the main feature, including Jaws (film: PG, DVD:12) and even Land of the Dead (film: 15, DVD: 18). Click here (http://bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/SearchClassifiedWorks/?SearchView&Query=%28%20[Title]%20contains%20%22CREEPSHOW%22%29%20and%20%28DVD%29 %20and%20%28%28%20[TypeOfMedia]%20contains%20Film%29%20OR%20%28%20[TypeOfMedia]%20contains%20Video%29%20OR%20%28%20[TypeOfMedia]%20contains%20DigitalMedia%29%29&SearchMax=50) for the records of the Creepshow DVD extras BBFC certification.

capncnut
17-Dec-2009, 09:19 PM
I might be wrong but I swear it's there. I'll give the tape a spin soon to confirm.

krakenslayer
17-Dec-2009, 09:27 PM
I might be wrong but I swear it's there. I'll give the tape a spin soon to confirm.

That would be cool. Also, as I say, keep an eye out for any other "deleted" material on that tape. It's not impossible that it's actually a work print of the movie; that version of the movie is pretty darn rare, so it wouldn't be surprising if this detail had just been overlooked.

capncnut
17-Dec-2009, 10:43 PM
Negative, son. Land Of The Dead was rated 15 but the DVD was 18, solely because of a few scenes in the extra material.

That would be cool. Also, as I say, keep an eye out for any other "deleted" material on that tape. It's not impossible that it's actually a work print of the movie; that version of the movie is pretty darn rare, so it wouldn't be surprising if this detail had just been overlooked.
Okie dokes. :)

triste realtà
18-Dec-2009, 04:12 AM

So my only hope is the workprint frequency impaired recording or capncnut's gracious VHS sound recording to hard drive?;);) which might also be riddled with noise:( (I drive myself crazy about this stuff, trying to fix noisy bootlegs and such, but then I always put way too much treble and not enough bass and it's almost as bad as when I started.)

I remember it said cunt when it first made the rounds on pay cable but I can't remember when it got crotched. I even checked an old recording of the movie and it said crotch and this one had an old WB logo at the end, not the cloudy one, the red and black one called the big W that ended its run in 1984, so it had to be done in the 80s. It wasn't "always" crotch, though. It is entirely possible that early VHSs of the film would have the undubbed line, and I have seen someone else claim that their VHS does on another board somewhere. I cannot believe they didn't have the original line for the R2 special edition. I wonder who the grinch is that stole that line.

Do they have that line anywhere in the special features, clear as a bell and recordable? Cause there is online access to that except for the workprint footage, I think someone took that from a bootleg DVD that is sold online or a download that was available separate from the PAL SE and it's on youtube twice. Search for creepshow deleted scenes.

---------- Post added 18-Dec-2009 at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was 17-Dec-2009 at 10:16 PM ----------

OK I just watched the commentary and Savini expresses doubt twice about the moderator's claims that "it's always been that way" and I think even George said something. The commentator is wrong! It's been that way for a lllooonnnggg time (longer than Richard can hold his breath) but not always. I don't know about every VHS release though because I never bought one. I wasn't big on buying VHS. Only ever bought Dawn and Day moviewise, and Day was LP speed. :barf:

(I compared the widescreen picture to the WB full screen again, though, and there is a slice more horizontal picture on the widescreen.:( but it is minimal. :) )

capncnut
18-Dec-2009, 09:58 AM
The VHS says 'cunt'. No doubt about it.

Also, I checked for Krackers if there are any other scenes and to be honest, I wouldn't know. I'm not exactly up on the film scene-for-scene, so maybe you can let me know if there are any of note that I should be looking for.

axlish
18-Dec-2009, 11:57 AM
Triste, I'll check my laserdisc tonight. Should offer considerably better fidelity than VHS. What is the timecode, roughly?

DjfunkmasterG
18-Dec-2009, 12:27 PM
Negative, son. Land Of The Dead was rated 15 but the DVD was 18, solely because of a few scenes in the extra material.

Okie dokes. :)

But doesn't the UK re-rate material for DVD. As I understand the system, and correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the BBFC require distributors to submit the film in every format so the rating can accurately reflect the content?

In the states you only re-submit if you want, the MPAA is optional, and features are never rated, however our LAND of the DEAD unrated is 4 minutes longer than the UK release. From what I remember the UK release doesn't have the apartment scene and a few other bits and pieces.

capncnut
18-Dec-2009, 12:33 PM
From what I remember the UK release doesn't have the apartment scene and a few other bits and pieces.
Only theatrically. The apartment scene was on the DVD.

MinionZombie
18-Dec-2009, 12:34 PM
Aside from the natural difference in running time due to the NTSC/PAL issue, I have heard that the UK "Director's Cut" of Land isn't anything of the sort, and is instead just the US Theatrical Cut. I can't confirm or deny that though as I've got the R1 Dir Cut Unrated DVD (which I had in my hands a mere 2 weeks after seeing it in the cinema, thanks to the UK being about the 3rd last country on the planet to get it in theatres :rolleyes:)

In the UK you can't legally sell a DVD unless it has passed through the hands of the BBFC. Some content is rated "E" for Exempt, such as the documentary series Long Way Round (although how it got an "E" confuses me, as they frequently swear in that series).

Anyway, the Video Recordings Act - which came about in 1984, thanks to all the video nasties bullshite, wasn't enacted properly at the time so it was never actually law. It is however being put back in the correct was as-is though, so we will still not have any version of what you Americalanders have known as the "unrated DVD".

*edit*

Ahhhh, cheers for that clarification there Capn. I'd thought it would have been hugely bizarre to flog a Dir Cut that wasn't a Dir Cut quite clearly.

So therefore the time difference is explicitly just down to NTSC/PAL then.

triste realtà
19-Dec-2009, 02:14 AM
1:02:40 on the R1 DVD

I didn't take into consideration that RCA to minijack cables might be required to record direct to computer, as well as a VCR in close proximity, so that's probably not possible for C-nut anyway.

so maybe you can let me know if there are any of note that I should be looking for.

Any of these:

XC23-qVAGYM

DubiousComforts
19-Dec-2009, 11:12 PM
1:02:40 on the R1 DVD
Ripped the AC3 from the R2 deleted scenes and converted to WAV for you. Shoot me a PM about where to send the file.

I'm certain that it's actually two different takes being used and not an overdub. Barbeau seems to be articulating "crotch" on the release version. It's really hardcore that you guys even catch this stuff.

Btw, Dave Burian is thanked for the deleted scenes along with Romero and Savini. I'd contact him for the last word on the subject.

capncnut
19-Dec-2009, 11:17 PM
Ripped the AC3 from the R2 deleted scenes and converted to WAV for you. Shoot me a PM about where to send the file.

I'm certain that it's actually two different takes being used and not an overdub. Barbeau seems to be articulating "crotch" on the release version. It's really hardcore that you guys even catch this stuff.
Precisely why this fucker has the Flyboy Award.

DubiousComforts
19-Dec-2009, 11:18 PM
Precisely why this fucker has the Flyboy Award.
What's the "Flyboy Award"?

(And does it come with a Flygirl?)

capncnut
19-Dec-2009, 11:22 PM
What's the "Flyboy Award"?

(And does it come with a Flygirl?)
No, but you might get a HPotD thong if you beg Neil really hard. :D

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm pretty sure on the R2 it's an overdub, because her mouth is definitely articulating the "un" rather than "ro", yet the audio is definitely "crotch".

I'd never noticed it myself until this thread, and even still having listened to the commentary TWICE in which they talk about that very same issue, but now that I've looked closely myself I'll never be able to not notice it, so thanks for that triste! :lol::p

I kid, I kid...

krakenslayer
20-Dec-2009, 10:50 AM
So therefore the time difference is explicitly just down to NTSC/PAL then.

Correctomundo

I'm pretty sure on the R2 it's an overdub, because her mouth is definitely articulating the "un" rather than "ro", yet the audio is definitely "crotch".

Yeah, the UK version is definitely an overdub - years and years ago, I noticed there was something wrong with her lipsynch at that point, and figured out what was really being said. I never found any mention or discussion of the matter until this thread, though.

So I wouldn't known about any edits/alternates if it had been an actual different take used.

DubiousComforts
20-Dec-2009, 05:35 PM
I just watched the R2 and there is no way to tell for sure. Her upper teeth show when enunciating "crotch" so in no way does it look like an obvious overdub. I believe that people are imagining things. Don't force me rip the audio from both tracks to prove it. :D

triste realtà
21-Dec-2009, 02:12 AM
First, there are two different audio takes for the whole line and not just the one word, that's why I want the whole original line. It's off timing and volume wise.

Second, I went and closely watched her mouth the word and at first I thought just maybe she might be saying crotch but I hit the turtle a few times and it really, really, really looks like she says cunt.

I am sending my spammed out yahoo address, that I just cleared again, via pm and all I need is from about VanderBilt to Excuse me so I can stretch and line up properly and maybe get a blank spot for noise profile capture. It would be great if it was 48000 but I don't think it will make much difference. This will be a definite upgrade but I suspect there will be noise galore. Thanks (unless you know if yahoo mail won't hold it. I thought it said 20mb limit).

Anyone can get either of the two tracks I mentioned, just PM with one of the following words: classical, disco or both. I need to figure out how to pass them out - an upload to a site or soulseek?