PDA

View Full Version : Rob Zombie: Good director or awful?

JDFP
31-Dec-2009, 12:35 PM
So, all this talk on Rob Zombie recently has gotten me thinking about him as a director. Music wise, I was a fan of "White Zombie" back in middle/high (wow, dating myself) school growing up. While I think more of his recent stuff has been too commercialized for my taste, I really digged his music growing up. Back when he began directing films, needless to say, I was thinking: "Oh man, this stuff will be messed up!".

I hated "House of 1000 Corpses" when it initially came out. You could definitely tell he was fresh at directing, as I think his first film was really weak. It just doesn't work for me except for as imagining a more redneck rip-off of "Texas Chainsaw...". It's the only film by him I really don't dig. With some time, I've been a bit more forgiving of it and appreciate it for the black comedy / satire on horror films that it really is as a film. However, I thought "Devil's Rejects" was freaking great. He had really found his stride with that one, and I think it's a great homage to 70's horror films and a mix between horror / exploitation / and a messed up bit of "Bonnie and Clyde" thrown in for good measure.

For me, Rob Zombie presents what I consider a "Redneck Oasis" in his films. Completely over-the-top characters. His characters are a bit like "Deliverance" meets Kubrick, in my opinion. It's a great mixture that works well for him. I personally thought the "Halloween" remake was fantastic. And, no, I don't compare it to the original. You can't really compare it as they are two completely different interpretations/visions of it. Zombie's characterizations and mix of music/horror/style/humor (I think his cinematography and use of colors is amazing, personally, one of the best elements of his films), works really well for me. I can understand why these elements are the very elements that work against him with some people, but I think he uses some fantastic actors/actresses that he uses in really unique ways. In the world of silly-trash "slasher of the day" films, it's a great treat to actually have a story with more personal meaning/feeling to it.

I enjoyed H2 for similar reasons. It was an interesting / unique take on the franchise. Considering that the majority of the 'Halloween' films (all except for 1,2,4, maybe H20 w/Jamie Lee Curtis in a stretch, and the remake) were absolute crap-on-a-stick films, it's been refreshing for me to see the Halloween series looked at in a different light. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the "Director's Cut" of this though as just as with the re-make theatrical version v. director's cut of 'Halloween' there was some interesting character development / growth that we missed out on in the cut version of the film. Before I'm going to really express any opinions towards it, I'm waiting on the director's cut to come out. It will be a welcome addition come next "Halloween" to my blu-ray collection along with Zombie's re-make (I'd like to get the original masterpiece by Carpenter too, but until the uncut version of it comes out on blu-ray, I won't be doing that).

I'm really looking forward to Zombie's "The Blob" re-make as well as his idea of "T. Rex" if that project goes ahead as well. I think with time and continued growth as a director, it will be good to see Zombie come further into his own as a director and get into more original-concept territory with films.

j.p.

DjfunkmasterG
31-Dec-2009, 12:58 PM
The man has made one good movie.... The Devil's Rejects.

Not quite a hack, but pretty close.

Mike70
31-Dec-2009, 01:06 PM
i think the guy is pretty much a total and complete hack. i don't care for any of films. one of the main reasons being that i am repelled by his visual style.

JDFP
31-Dec-2009, 01:09 PM
i think the guy is pretty much a total and complete hack. i don't care for any of films. one of the main reasons being that i am repelled by his visual style.

Really? That's one of the main reasons I dig his movies so much, is because of his visuals / use of color within his films. Goes to show you that two folks can see the same type of style/use and enjoy or hate it.

j.p.

darth los
31-Dec-2009, 01:25 PM
Really? That's one of the main reasons I dig his movies so much, is because of his visuals / use of color within his films. Goes to show you that two folks can see the same type of style/use and enjoy or hate it.

j.p.

That occurs with all types of art forms, including film.

:cool:

bassman
31-Dec-2009, 01:53 PM
I didn't like House of 1000 Corpses too much, LOVE Devil's Rejects, like Halloween more than the original, and haven't seen H2 yet.

So I would say he's a good director. 2 out of 3 in my book so far.

capncnut
31-Dec-2009, 03:39 PM
The Devils Rejects is in the top five horror movies of the decade. End of.

jded
01-Jan-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd say quite possibily that Rob either has not mastered the art of extracting all the emotion an actor can muster, or he finds it to be less important as atmosphere and shock value. I feel that some of his characters come across as paper thin and hollow. Look back on any memorable film and you will find that spark of intrigue about a character that resonates above the film.
Sid Haig's performance as Cpt. Spaulding stands out as thoroughly crafted and executed. Putting his wife Sheri Moon Zombie in every film for kin's sake is irresponsible and lazy. Daeg Faerch as young Micheal in the Halloween remake would be another example of a special performance, and even the small roll by William Forsythe as Ronnie White is sweet and to the point. Yet somehow there's this dislocation between characters in all three films. I have a theory regarding this and it goes like this. Rob seems to have a thing for the seventies. No matter how hard you try to recreate the feel and vibe of that era you will never capture it fully and completely but only manufacture it in another watered down replica. That time had a look all it's own. A voice of it's own. Today has a look and a voice of it's own. I'd like to see him attack something in the present day. Reveal to us what is horrific and misplaced about today.
I do not fully dislike his films because they are worthy efforts and contain a decent ammount of what I like.
I'm certain that one day he will give us a bad ass taste of what he's been holding back.

rongravy
01-Jan-2010, 05:37 PM
Sad when a man has the heart but not nearly the brains. I have no appreciation for his movies, he is nothing but a mindless piece of shit.
Though I don't blame movies for influencing bad decisions in real life, his stuff is for lovers of mindless violence. I felt bad after the rape scene in one of his movies. It served no purpose at all, except to degenerate fucks who will find this kind of crap enjoyable. Yes, he is a fucking hack. And he helped destroy something that already sucked, apart from Donald Pleasance...
I give him a pass on it all.

MinionZombie
01-Jan-2010, 09:05 PM
I enjoyed House of 1000 Corpses, but it's clearly from a younger, more music video-ey Rob Zombie.

The Devil's Rejects is fucking awesome. Quite possibly the best post-millennial horror movie to date.

Halloween - not a patch on the original, but I did like what he did with it.

H2 - haven't seen it yet, but want to, but with such bad chit-chat coming back about it mostly, I'm both surprised and a tiny bit disappointed.

Also - The Haunted World of El Superbeasto - I really enjoyed that.

He should have left H2 alone and gone for T-Rex instead. The poster alone sold me on the entire thing. He should have done that.

RZ does, however, really need to spread into different territory - not necessarily in terms of genre, but you know ... enough of this white trash stuff all the time, yeah?

Danny
02-Jan-2010, 09:22 PM
The man has made one good movie.... The Devil's Rejects.

ditto. i reckon everyones got one movie in them and this was his and it was great, everything else was like he was trying to be a certain type of filmmaker to hold an aesthetic and not actually make it. which doesnt make sense on screen, but basically things like putting his wife in all his stuff just makes him come off like a guy with money making what he wants just because he can and it doesnt sit right with me.

shootemindehead
04-Jan-2010, 11:06 AM
Awful.